PDA

View Full Version : Condition of server

AimAce
09-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Uthgaard quitting is, no questions asked, a horrible detriment for the server. But not in the sense that the absence of Uthgaard is the issue, rather the reason behind why he quit.

Has the server gotten to a point where all forms of moderation is rendered futile against the whims of the players? Although there are many sarcastic posts about the issue, the question remains, are we truly playing in a few select elite player's sandbox?

I have nothing but good things to say for both the developers of this server, and of the other staff behind it. But have things been irreparably steered in a (granted; unwanted) corrupt direction?

How do other players feel about the current dilemma that has befallen our quaint town of P1999? Or is there no dilemma at all?

soup
09-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Well there's -obviously- something up, because it's pretty hard to imagine Uthgaard just quitting the way he did because of minor disagreements, or getting tired of dealing with players who are dumb asses.

Past that, dunno.

bakkily
09-02-2011, 07:25 AM
i dont ever see gms on, i know amelinda is still semi on? not sure and theres bort, and rogean at times, who else?

bakkily
09-02-2011, 07:27 AM
the servers still in great shape, just some of the higher end guilds have been hit a little hard, not that i saw with my own eyes but talking to a friend in one of these higher end guilds, still plenty of lowbies, been hanging out alot in gfay/cb the last 4 days soling a new char, but yea things here are still happening, besides some of the banned sometimes at differnt times log a new account and spam/annoy people in ec or gfay or some other zones

kameski
09-02-2011, 07:27 AM
so is this server like comming to an end or somthing ?

bakkily
09-02-2011, 07:30 AM
just people are acting dumb, it was worse here on the forums 3 days ago, and everything seems to be cooling down possibly, in a week everything will almost be back to normal, we just need some more gms, people that seem to things right, like hobby, with a hint of uthgaard, borts cool from the times i've spoken with him

casdegere
09-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Actually at this point, I willing to relent and let this outrage pass (as if I have a choice) but the main difference between this server and live classic is its much smaller community. When people cheat and mess up the player made economy and lavishly pad their own virtual pockets it makes a much larger impact. People using cheats can go where the Plat is every time. For the rest of us we must just play and hope for a rare drop.

That said I hope this was not a condition of favoritism. I hope that someone will be monitoring cheating, punish it with an Iron Fist and everyone is on the same playing field. What the devs may not understand is with a huge community like Live, cheating was far less glaringly obvious to people. With a much smaller one, its impact is much larger. You would know this if you ever went to EC or EC Forums and high priced, rare items were being sold every day. I thought that that was kind of strange considering I never remembered that on live near as much as here.

Still we all know some people only play here because they could cheat. They will try again and if it is true that they get caught they will just simply no longer play here because that is why they play.

Juugox2
09-02-2011, 08:11 AM
all the people crying about being banned or crying about " certain files" i mean there cheating imo anyone who bitches and hassles someone i dont get how ppl cant play this game without mq or seq we did in 99 ... and didnt need it to be the top lol ppl here are bad players imo need MQ and seq and they got all the knowledge on fights all over the internet but yet they try to act like there "top" lol i feel bad that he left but not much we can do because of jackasses

nymphloa
09-02-2011, 08:27 AM
There really is only one answer to this.

PERMA IP BAN THE CHEATERS!

And anyone else that uses a 3rd party program from now gets the same equal punishement

Only way to stop them...! 2 week suspension is clearly not enough to stop them, Uth implied that the issue has got so far out of hand, people were even logging in running 3rd party programs within 10 minutes of this punishement being announced.

I really do not understand why the punishement was not harsher, the majority population that are not cheats have made it very clear over the past few days that we do not want to play with cheats, so why are we tip toeing around the problem?

Uthgaard leaving sends a clear message, if the guy that is so well not for not pulling his punches where handing out punishement is concerned has had enough? I mean I have heard of people getting banned for rubbing the GMs up the wrong way in the past, but when it comes to the biggest F U in the servers history nothing.

Peace,

Messianic
09-02-2011, 08:55 AM
My guess is Uth supported a heavier-handed punishment against what happened and predicted the kind of crapstorm it would cause if that path wasn't followed...

To reiterate, that's a guess.

Tiggle
09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
when is the wipe scheduled

nymphloa
09-02-2011, 09:14 AM

SCREW THAT Tigg, why punish everyone. WE have not all cheated and they know who has! it is not like they not sure.

The answer is clear...click the link below for further details!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmSSVt7Mfkk&feature=player_detailpage

Or my preference!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nehHOgtKpGg

Messianic
09-02-2011, 09:17 AM
A wipe punishes the non-cheaters more than the cheaters...

Think through your ideas beforehand plz

tekniq
09-02-2011, 09:18 AM
With any large civilization, there will always be scandal, corruption, and deceit. i mean just look at RL history. Money talks man..

casdegere
09-02-2011, 09:29 AM

What does a wipe mean anyway? Do we start back to Beginning of classic? What about all the items that no longer drop? Are they just never seen again? No fire pots? No advantages?

To be honest I wouldn't mind the server starting over, its integrity being bleached in favor of everyone starting on the same level from this day forward but I highly doubt that will happen. The player economy has been falsely modified due to cheating. Specifically a certain guilds success has been excellent due to cheating among its ranks. And lets make sure we understand the distinction. A single individual using cheats to get moderate stuff is one thing, guild officers using them with a raiding party behind them is something completely different. I understand not wanting to toss 365 people off the server but that other should have been dealt with in a more direct manner. The fact that it wasn't speaks volumes.

Tarathiel
09-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I know of 2 things that could be done.... Open the hole... And release epics =D

ALLWILL
09-02-2011, 12:41 PM
...its integrity being bleached in favor of everyone starting on the same level from this day forward...

Isn't that kind of the point of all this in the first place? People hacking, using 3rd party programs, NOT "playing on the same level" and what-not?

The coveted items are coveted because not everyone has them. If we start over now that the server has so many more people, everyone gets a peice of the phat lewtz pie, and the meaning is lost.

Meh, I still say wipe the offenders accounts of all items, plat, AND a heafty XP penalty. Don't even bann them. What's the point when acquiring a new IP is so easy?

Just hit them again if/when they get caught doin it again... rinse and repeat. Don't see what the big deal is, but then I'm not one of the people with a few sacks of Manastones in the bank.

RandySlopeJr
09-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Im very sure this is why Uth quit p1999, He wanted all the cheater perma banned and they would not allow there friends the same punishment they gave many other playeer over the last 2 years. Its all bullshit and server will die because of it.When you mix staff and player on the same field this happend everytime.D3 will be out within a few months and this sandbox will be empty..

yaaaflow
09-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Seriously I'm not flaming at all here, but this server ran just fine for quite a while before Uthgaard had anything to do with it. Him leaving is not the end of the world no matter how much the trolls will try to tell you it is.

Kope
09-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Im very sure this is why Uth quit p1999, He wanted all the cheater perma banned and they would not allow there friends the same punishment they gave many other playeer over the last 2 years. Its all bullshit and server will die because of it.When you mix staff and player on the same field this happend everytime.D3 will be out within a few months and this sandbox will be empty..

You're an "up" person...

RandySlopeJr
09-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Seriously I'm not flaming at all here, but this server ran just fine for quite a while before Uthgaard had anything to do with it. Him leaving is not the end of the world no matter how much the trolls will try to tell you it is.

Oh really, guess you werent around when the boats didnt work..stfu and get off forums.

Gwence
09-02-2011, 12:56 PM
This is small potatos compared to some of the things the server has been through over the course of its existence. It's always come out the other end stronger.

Sorry to burst all your bubbles.

Nebi
09-02-2011, 12:59 PM
honestly I think the forums is causing more of a catastrophy then anything else. Ban the forums, all of them.

Lagaidh
09-02-2011, 01:02 PM
honestly I think the forums is causing more of a catastrophy then anything else. Ban the forums, all of them.

This has been the truth for any MMO I have ever played.

Vohl
09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm half convinced that shutting the forums down a week or two would be a good idea.

Humerox
09-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm half convinced that shutting the forums down a week or two would be a good idea.

Guineapig is on vacation or something. Way too much RnF is slipping into Server Chat, for sure.

Boggwin Bramblefoot
09-02-2011, 01:38 PM
They should just make it so that every toon on every account is max uber. Give them all the absolute best gear in the game, with all of the spells, unlimited plat, and the ability to port to any location. On top of that, max out their stats. Then everyone can be the best they can be and there would be no reason to cheat. Just create a toon, log on and go raiding all by yourself with no fear of dieing. (Of course there would be no reason to measure epeens or talk about how much better of a person you are in rl because you got better pixels)

PS. I am kidding, but it is an idea...haha.

Supaskillz
09-02-2011, 02:55 PM
where the hell did this server wipe suggestion come from?

1% of the server gained a small edge better make everyone start over.

No thank you

Mezzmur
09-02-2011, 03:10 PM
where the hell did this server wipe suggestion come from?

1% of the server gained a small edge better make everyone start over.

No thank you

365 accounts is probably like 20% of the server.

Messianic
09-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Lose 20% of the server or 100%...? I just don't think banning them all permanently would have harmed the server in the long run at all.

Mezzmur
09-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Lose 20% of the server or 100%...? I just don't think banning them all permanently would have harmed the server in the long run at all.

Oh, I agree. Ban them all.

Kope
09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh, I agree. Ban them all.

You won't lose 20% of the server if you do this btw. Most of them are too addicted to this game to leave. Maybe 5, 10%, 15% max.

I'm honestly not sure what's better, either way they can't hack like they used to.

Labyrrinth
09-02-2011, 03:29 PM

^^ by not banning permanently the powers that be showed their hand. They're either biased towards a specific demographic player or they are scared of losing people on the server.

They may say "we were trying to be nice" but why then weren't they nice to every single other person that was banned for the same thing? Why not send those people notices, with an apology and allow them back? hmm?

tefog
09-02-2011, 03:32 PM
^^ by not banning permanently the powers that be showed their hand. They're either biased towards a specific demographic player or they are scared of losing people on the server.

They may say "we were trying to be nice" but why then weren't they nice to every single other person that was banned for the same thing? Why not send those people notices, with an apology and allow them back? hmm?

My point exactly!

Roanoke
09-02-2011, 03:36 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No. It's not.

Mezzmur
09-02-2011, 03:50 PM

No. It's not.

So what is it? I just guessed based on the active amounts of people you see logged in.

Nazran
09-02-2011, 03:53 PM
if they banned them and the server died...so be it. I'd rather it die than play knowing it is compromised.

Kope
09-02-2011, 03:54 PM
if they banned them and the server died...so be it. I'd rather it die than play knowing it is compromised.

I'm sure you'd feel differently if you put years into writing code for the server and putting up with all the drama crap that's happened since the beginning.

Mezzmur
09-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Quit now then, it'll always be compromised.

Roanoke
09-02-2011, 03:55 PM
So what is it? I just guessed based on the active amounts of people you see logged in.

Active accounts have been reported in the 20,000's or so.

purist
09-02-2011, 04:07 PM
The maximum number of players logged in simultaneously on the P99 server in its entire history was ~1.1k during Kunark release day. It is a pretty hard sell to try to convince us that anything even close to 20,000 individual people actively play P99 currently.

It would be much more accurate if the devs would release information how many IP addresses were involved in the banning compared to how many IPs actively play on the server.

If they did that, my guess is the % of people banned is closer to 1/3rd of the active playerbase.

Mezzmur
09-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Active accounts have been reported in the 20,000's or so.

So, we never reach 1k users anymore. What's an *active* account? 20k seems super high.

Roanoke
09-02-2011, 04:37 PM
So, we never reach 1k users anymore. What's an *active* account? 20k seems super high.

Why is it that people find 20k accounts so hard to believe? No, not all 20k people will ever be logged in at once. Yes, many people have multiple accounts. Does that change the numbers behind it? No.

Just because there aren't 20k people playing at once (which the server couldn't handle anyway) doesn't mean that the number of accounts in existence aren't in that range.

I'm not trying to flame you or anyone about this, but it was a Dev who said the number of accounts (either Rog or Uth during all the initial suspending).

The fact that some people think that 20% of the server was suspended just makes me LOL

purist
09-02-2011, 04:41 PM
lmao u think 20,000 people play p99

Mezzmur
09-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Why is it that people find 20k accounts so hard to believe? No, not all 20k people will ever be logged in at once. Yes, many people have multiple accounts. Does that change the numbers behind it? No.

Just because there aren't 20k people playing at once (which the server couldn't handle anyway) doesn't mean that the number of accounts in existence aren't in that range.

I'm not trying to flame you or anyone about this, but it was a Dev who said the number of accounts (either Rog or Uth during all the initial suspending).

The fact that some people think that 20% of the server was suspended just makes me LOL

I'm not saying 20k account aren't created. I'd find that easy to believe. It's likely that the most active players have all 3 of their LS accounts created and have toons on all of them.

I would, however, be surprised if more than, say, 3000 of those accounts were used on a weekly basis (in P99).

I'd be very interested to hear what's the unique IP or Person count in any given week so you could determine the number of people who actually log in.

Roanoke
09-02-2011, 04:48 PM
lmao u think 20,000 people play p99

lmao you can't read.

20k accounts != 20k unique users

edit: Not to mention Amelinda, in EC last night stated that a good chunk of the accounts we're suspended due to people boxing.

NO ONE IS CLAIMING THAT THERE ARE 20,000 UNIQUE PEOPLE WHO PLAY ON P1999

Tiggle
09-02-2011, 04:55 PM

You are a dumb person

Roanoke
09-02-2011, 04:57 PM
You are a dumb person

This post is to quote irony.

Treylin
09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Reading this forum brings back memories.

The devs set out to recreate classic EQ, and in the process they recreated classic EQVault.

If you are an old timer, you will know what I mean...

Tyen01
09-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Roanoke owned you noobs on page 5

Tyen01
09-02-2011, 05:44 PM
devs would release information how many IP addresses were involved in the banning compared to how many IPs actively play on the server.

Durison got Winterfresh banned training over a raid target.

Durison hasn't been banned, so they do it per account.

You are probably on to something.

mimixownzall
09-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Oh really, guess you werent around when the boats didnt work..stfu and get off forums.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Kassel
09-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Roanoke owned you noobs on page 5

This thread is only on page 3....how did that happen? or do you fail at forums? :)

Roanoke
09-02-2011, 06:48 PM
This thread is only on page 3....how did that happen? or do you fail at forums? :)

You can change your posts per page settings in User CP.

This is page 6.

Kassel
09-02-2011, 06:50 PM
obv. pst your doing it wrong if you added more pages.

mwatt
09-02-2011, 08:02 PM
OMFG

The sky is NOT falling. The people who run this server are not lax, or corrupt or anything of the sort. They ARE human, so a mistake may be made here or there, but nonetheless, on the whole, the decisions of the powers that be have been mostly right. Just look at the success of this server. In a short time, and for a sustained time now, this is the most popular EQEmu in the known universe.

Give them CREDIT for implemeting mechanisms to spot these cheaters and take action on it. Does any other EQEmu doe this? I dunno, maybe Shards of Dalaya, but I know of no other.

The fact that they have chosen to ameliorate their own rules for a specific case only shows good judgement, not corruption.

THINK. This place is great. STOP mucking it up with silly theories and alarmist posts.

Rushmore
09-02-2011, 08:08 PM
RED99 is coming....

greatdane
09-03-2011, 01:29 AM

No. It's not.

Depends what you consider to be a "player". I've heard numbers like 20k players, but obviously that's something like the total accounts that have logged onto the server, not the actual number of people playing the game. Active players, those who make any kind of impact on the game and affect gameplay for others, probably amount to about two thousand people if I'm any judge. Someone who logs on once a week for a couple of hours hardly counts as a real player. With rarely more than 6-700 online, and more like 3-500 outside of the few peak hours, 365 individuals make up a pretty hefty portion of the population. I think it's safe to say that anyone who cares enough about the game to cheat at it are among the more active ones, and while cheating is inexcusable, I expect the absence of permabans for cheaters has more to do with the developers' hesitation to potentially wreck the playing environment than with being scared of pissing off some cheaters.

In any case, what kind of percentage would you guess 365 players to comprise? If 20% is a number that warrants laughing in caps, maybe you're the mistaken one. If it was 10%, it would mean we had 3650 people who play enough to be considered part of the server, and I think that's questionable at best. 5%? We definitely don't have over 7000 active players. I think 20% sounds fairly accurate if you consider the playerbase to be those who log in several times a week for long enough to qualify as part of the population. Those insisting that it's 1% should probably take a logical look at that claim; we certainly don't have over 35000 players. That's... a bit optimistic.

The people who got caught cheating were the people who played since the tracking file was distributed, not people who logged on for Kunark's launch and then left again three days later. They also aren't 40 year old Greg who fondly remembers his Everquest days while running around on his level 20 druid. They were people deeply invested in the server, enough to cheat at it, and the cheats available for Everquest are of a type that assists you in devoted gameplay like tracking down rare quest mobs or targeting things from across the zone. Mike the accountant doesn't need MacroQuest to level in Crushbone for his Friday EQ session. There's a tricky situation where cheating must not be tolerated, but those who cheat tend to be the lifeblood of the server, its obsessed core who ensure that there's enough of a population for the population alone to attract more players. Without the type of player who is most likely to cheat, p99 might never have grown to the size it is today. Banning them all could be a risky move and they need to carefully consider the cause and effect.

Dirtnap
09-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Depends what you consider to be a "player". I've heard numbers like 20k players, but obviously that's something like the total accounts that have logged onto the server, not the actual number of people playing the game. Active players, those who make any kind of impact on the game and affect gameplay for others, probably amount to about two thousand people if I'm any judge. Someone who logs on once a week for a couple of hours hardly counts as a real player. With rarely more than 6-700 online, and more like 3-500 outside of the few peak hours, 365 individuals make up a pretty hefty portion of the population. I think it's safe to say that anyone who cares enough about the game to cheat at it are among the more active ones, and while cheating is inexcusable, I expect the absence of permabans for cheaters has more to do with the developers' hesitation to potentially wreck the playing environment than with being scared of pissing off some cheaters.

In any case, what kind of percentage would you guess 365 players to comprise? If 20% is a number that warrants laughing in caps, maybe you're the mistaken one. If it was 10%, it would mean we had 3650 people who play enough to be considered part of the server, and I think that's questionable at best. 5%? We definitely don't have over 7000 active players. I think 20% sounds fairly accurate if you consider the playerbase to be those who log in several times a week for long enough to qualify as part of the population. Those insisting that it's 1% should probably take a logical look at that claim; we certainly don't have over 35000 players. That's... a bit optimistic.

The people who got caught cheating were the people who played since the tracking file was distributed, not people who logged on for Kunark's launch and then left again three days later. They also aren't 40 year old Greg who fondly remembers his Everquest days while running around on his level 20 druid. They were people deeply invested in the server, enough to cheat at it, and the cheats available for Everquest are of a type that assists you in devoted gameplay like tracking down rare quest mobs or targeting things from across the zone. Mike the accountant doesn't need MacroQuest to level in Crushbone for his Friday EQ session. There's a tricky situation where cheating must not be tolerated, but those who cheat tend to be the lifeblood of the server, its obsessed core who ensure that there's enough of a population for the population alone to attract more players. Without the type of player who is most likely to cheat, p99 might never have grown to the size it is today. Banning them all could be a risky move and they need to carefully consider the cause and effect.

They banned 365 accounts, not players. I will guarantee that at least 200 of the accounts were alt accounts. So maybe 150ish players were actually affected. (This is just my estimate.)

EDIT: This assumes the majority of the banned players had 2+ accounts they actively used. (If that wasn't clear originally.)

Slathar
09-03-2011, 01:56 AM
WIPE IT CLEAN LONG LIVE MAGISTRATE UTHGAARD

Humerox
09-03-2011, 02:37 AM
Without the type of player who is most likely to cheat...

This is a false premise. Most people that would be the type of players most likely to cheat, don't. Drawing that statement out logically, you could also say that those types of players are generally anti-social, compulsive, and would fit well as the type of people that would most likely be serial killers.

Anyway...most people aren't looking for a ban. The ones calling for it misunderstand the effect it would ultimately have, or are playing a "grief the server" game.

Stripping all characters on every account, leaving them naked, combined with the proposed xp loss would be a lot more effective.

Labyrrinth
09-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Anyway...most people aren't looking for a ban. The ones calling for it misunderstand the effect it would ultimately have, or are playing a "grief the server" game.

Your are incorrect.

Most calling for a ban do NOT misunderstand the effect it would have. We know exactly what a ban means and entails. It's effect on the server would be noticeable in a multitude of ways. As far as attituded is concerned; we'd actually believe in the staff again. As it stands now it's seems very biased on the why's and how's this punishment was dealt out. What about those people that were actually BANNED in the past - how fair is this punishment that is currently being dealt to them? Regardless of how someone may want to justify it, it's not.

It's effect on the server would also be felt in the econonmy of the server. Currently the only thing stripped off of these cheating accounts was plat. Big whoop.

It would be noticeable as far as cheaters are concerned; overall less two boxing, less people running over others to get to a spawn because they know a mob is up, and perhaps more cooperation amongst individual players. In the long run, less people would be apt to test the rules if they knew that the staff actually followed through.

Yes it might drop the number of active players initially, but not by 365. 365 accounts does not equal 365 individuals. AND I can guarantee that out of however many number of players that might be banned, a good portion of them would be back regardless.

SearyxTZ
09-03-2011, 12:54 PM
I have good news everyone!

http://www.mset.ca/content/sites/default/files/good_news_everyone.jpg

There's a red server in the works. So, this whole blue server thing? Yeah -- doesn't really matter. 8)

SearyxTZ
09-03-2011, 12:58 PM
And btw I don't really think the people who are calling for IP banning 350 people are being very realistic

You realize that's about half the concurrent server population, right?

I thought his punishment was fairly reasonable, given the advantage a player might gain from using MQ2/SEQ on a blue server (which is not as drastic as some people are making it out to be).

Messianic
09-03-2011, 01:15 PM
It's okay to not ban people (the posted penalty for breaking hacking rules) as long as they're in big enough numbers.

It's settled, guys. Just be a part of a really large group doing the wrong thing and you'll get a slap on the wrist.

On a serious note, banning 350 accounts would not have the same result as taking the peak amount of players and subtracting 350, so no - that's not half the concurrent server population.

It might be 150-200 people less during peak hours - and i'm being generous. It's probably substantially less.

Autotune
09-03-2011, 01:25 PM
And btw I don't really think the people who are calling for IP banning 350 people are being very realistic

You realize that's about half the concurrent server population, right?

I thought his punishment was fairly reasonable, given the advantage a player might gain from using MQ2/SEQ on a blue server (which is not as drastic as some people are making it out to be).

350 accounts is not 350 people

Some people had multiple accounts (some they cheated on, some they didn't)

so banning the IPs would more likely affect about ~200 people max (i'm sure the majority of the people caught had 2-3+ accounts)

no way that 100-200 actual people is half the server population.

SearyxTZ
09-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah I am not that dumb - I meant the number itself is half of the concurrent pop.

I'm sure the total # of accounts on this server is over 10k

SearyxTZ
09-03-2011, 01:29 PM
But even supposing it's 250 players (give or take), that's still an awful lot of people to be IP BANNING 4 LYFE

Doors
09-03-2011, 01:39 PM
But even supposing it's 250 players (give or take), that's still an awful lot of people to be IP BANNING 4 LYFE

People aren't really upset about the type of punishment, they are upset over the fact that certain individuals get a more lenient punishment while others like completely random strangers that find this server randomly get caught once and perma banned for doing the same exact thing.

SearyxTZ
09-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd also reiterate that using MQ2 on a blue box is small peas compared to what red server players are used to. I'm not condoning it - and I'm glad people got punished - but I am saying it's not that big of a deal.

So some guy got his pegasus feather cloak easier than you... who gives a shit? It doesn't even affect you.

99% of the server could be hacking it up and it wouldn't affect me 1/100th as much as it did when people were using warp/speed/instacamp to shit on pvp

Foxx
09-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I'd also reiterate that using MQ2 on a blue box is small peas compared to what red server players are used to. I'm not condoning it - and I'm glad people got punished - but I am saying it's not that big of a deal.

So some guy got his pegasus feather cloak easier than you... who gives a shit? It doesn't even affect you.

99% of the server could be hacking it up and it wouldn't affect me 1/100th as much as it did when people were using warp/speed/instacamp to shit on pvp

searyx clearly doesnt understand blue jelly

pixels bro

Deadmantis
09-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I have good news everyone!

http://www.mset.ca/content/sites/default/files/good_news_everyone.jpg

There's a red server in the works. So, this whole blue server thing? Yeah -- doesn't really matter. 8)

Autotune
09-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Yeah I am not that dumb - I meant the number itself is half of the concurrent pop.

I'm sure the total # of accounts on this server is over 10k

from what i remember amelinda stating, it's over 20k accounts.

jimthayner
09-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Uthgaard quitting is, no questions asked, a horrible detriment for the server. But not in the sense that the absence of Uthgaard is the issue, rather the reason behind why he quit.

Has the server gotten to a point where all forms of moderation is rendered futile against the whims of the players? Although there are many sarcastic posts about the issue, the question remains, are we truly playing in a few select elite player's sandbox?

I have nothing but good things to say for both the developers of this server, and of the other staff behind it. But have things been irreparably steered in a (granted; unwanted) corrupt direction?

How do other players feel about the current dilemma that has befallen our quaint town of P1999? Or is there no dilemma at all?

The server will survive.

1. It has a pretty large player base from what I've seen. There are usually at least 500+ players on, which is comparable/even greater than many of Sony's servers during the same era that P1999 emulates.
2. I haven't seen a lot of posts about players ragequitting.
3. If cheats that allowed for trade hacks (ie: like the Diablo II one that allowed players to put phantom items in the trade window) I think there would be people leaving the server.
3. Same goes if there were hacks that allowed for players to create items/plat, creating inflation in the server's economy.

EQ Retail has not only survived for years with players using ShowEQ and Macroquest, they've also managed to stay alive with the "mmo king", World of Warcraft.

If EQ retail can survive cheaters and not go out of business with WoW dominating the market, I think P1999 can survive.

mala
09-03-2011, 02:47 PM
from the looks of the server population durring peak, we are about 100 short of what we had before the suspensions. 365 accounts is not 20%, closer to 10-12%.

given that... i feel that loosing 10-12% of our population to instill the the ideals of "fair play" is more than worth it, obviously the devs dont agree with this.

jimthayner
09-03-2011, 03:00 PM
from the looks of the server population durring peak, we are about 100 short of what we had before the suspensions. 365 accounts is not 20%, closer to 10-12%.

given that... i feel that loosing 10-12% of our population to instill the the ideals of "fair play" is more than worth it, obviously the devs dont agree with this.

/agree

KB_Trader
09-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Except a lot of the people who got suspended are just playing other accounts so it makes the effects seem less drastic.