PDA

View Full Version : Hello, P99

Ryba
09-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Rile here, Xegony monk who quit after OoW, moved to WoW, and quit that after Cataclysm, which looks to be the WoW equivalent of PoP--in other words, the last expansion where the game will successfully coast on the momentum of better expansions. New name is Ryba.

When I heard there was an EQ classic server that had the critical mass population to actually be fun, I got Win7 and EQ Titanium just to try it out. While that was happening I lurked these boards and noticed that there is an unusually large amount of retarded internet drama for what I had thought was gonna be a small population with the average age pushing 30.

So I am a little concerned about investing time into a character here. It would be awesome to be on the front line of raiding for the Velious release, but a lot of what I'm reading here makes the end game sound miserable. If I put the time into this game to play at a high level, I want to be killing dragons when I get there, not farming FBSS.

tl;dr -- Is P99 politically stable enough for a new player to enjoy/is it going to implode before I can level up? Also, lvl 5 monk LFG in FoB.

Zereh
09-07-2011, 04:31 PM
It's best to judge P99 from your in-game experiences because the majority of the players here are great people. =) Folks are good about answering questions, offering advice and even giving true noobs a boost when they can.

You can opt out of RnF section of the forums Via User CP to avoid the trolltards that seem to never know when to let something go.

Welcome!

Dirt McGirt
09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
the server is probably at its most unstable point as of the last week or so. If it's going to implode anytime soon it will be now. That said, I still don't think it's going anywhere.

As for uberguild raiding -- the top guilds are filled with idiots with too much time, as they always have and always will be. If you don't like raid drama raiding will suck as much as it ever did.

soup
09-07-2011, 04:35 PM
The forums do not accurately represent the server. You wont see anywhere near the level of internet drama when you're actually ingame.

Good luck with getting high level and raiding dragons though. It's a clusterfuck of manchildren who are unwilling to share their toys.

Shannacore
09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Play the game, stay off the forums.

(or at least out of R&F).

You'll enjoy it ~ ~

Peatree
09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Agree with Tralina. Play the game - stay off the forums. Course both are fun in their own way...one more twisted than the other.

Dr4z3r
09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
The forums vastly over-represent the amount of actual in-game drama going on. It's mostly just people spewing venom to kill time at work.

That said, there's no way to do top-end MMO raiding without drama, especially given the relatively rudimentary way it was implemented in early Everquest (one mob per server per week).

Anger
09-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the server!

This server has been up for multiple years now. Chances are you'll be able to max out and start raiding long before the server goes down.

Have fun, and always, be safe. It's a dangerous world out there.

Nedala
09-07-2011, 04:48 PM
You dont have to worry, at the moment there is 2 guilds who kill the majority of the targets and a lot of guilds that raid the planes and also get a boss from time to time. When velious comes out the raid scene will open up a lot. Velious alone adds so much content there is no way 2 guilds could lock all that down + kunark and planes. Also we are still waiting for VP wich will add more raid content as well.

The server isnt going anywhere , and im sure you will have an awesome ingame experience. You may want to move to crushbone or ec area for grouping, altho i dont know how that works for iksars? But those zones are very populated.

Ryba
09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to take that advice and just avoid the forums. The people I've met in game have been helpful so far. I was just a little worried about the infighting between the management and the chances of actually getting an end-game raid target without learning how to convert hot-pockets and mountain dew into loot and socks full of shit.

For what it's worth, from an outsiders perspective, most of the forums on this MB read like Rants and Flames.

Dirt McGirt
09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
yeah server chat has gone downhill. You're more likely to get suspended for shit talking in R&F than here so it's mostly a matter of mismanagement. Hopefully will improve after the staff tumult calms.

Ryba
09-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Project 1999 is the perfect name. I feel like I'm time traveling when I play this game.

I would move to EC or CB but pretty sure that would be more trouble than it is worth for iksar. But I guess if I am going to try to boost faction, now would be a good time. Plus it would give me a greater chance of a good samaritan upgrading my Club*.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I am gathering that things are not as awful as the tenor of the forums would lead one to believe. That is encouraging :D

Silentone
09-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Yup welcome to the game, its a lot better on the inside =) and dont worry about forums, and there is hope at the end of the tunnle the high end guilds do recruit.

soup
09-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Project 1999 is the perfect name. I feel like I'm time traveling when I play this game.

I would move to EC or CB but pretty sure that would be more trouble than it is worth for iksar. But I guess if I am going to try to boost faction, now would be a good time. Plus it would give me a greater chance of a good samaritan upgrading my Club*.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I am gathering that things are not as awful as the tenor of the forums would lead one to believe. That is encouraging :D

What's your character's name? I think I can hook you up with something better than the club.

Ryba
09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
What's your character's name? I think I can hook you up with something better than the club.

Name is Ryba. I just splurged on a 5/28 staff. Any help would be great.

Silentone
09-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Same, i have some gear i can part with for a fellow monk. Only problem is finding me online at a normal hour. I play very very late PST....catch me if you can =)
...Silentone

Ravenlof
09-07-2011, 06:28 PM
eq players have always been far supperior than most MMOs

Ennoia
09-07-2011, 06:30 PM
It's free so if it does implode, meh?

Snaggles
09-07-2011, 07:30 PM
This game is very fun and the server is very friendly overall. I have yet to meet a person who wasn't nice :).

The thing about about EQ is that some camps are almost raid-level fun and running from a train is a rush. Most modern games have pushed the difficulty way down so that raiding is one of the only challenging/exciting moments you experience.

Definitely not knocking the raid experience. If you have the time to put in it doesn't get much better than in EQ. I think once Velious opens up the raid scene will be less frantic due to increased places to go. This means smaller guilds can do fun smaller targets and work to get people epics weapons. They can even team with other small guilds for larger targets.

Basically, don't sweat that last 5% of the content if you don't want the drama. The 95% is more than enough to keep you busy and happy.

Runningfish
09-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Glad you posted this, quite a few people have been concerned with how the forums look to new players. Also glad you decided to ask instead of just turning away from the server. I can honestly say after a year here I've had very few bad experiences in game. Those that I've had have been small ones like the occasional loot whore. Most players are helpful, friendly, and drama free.

I can't really say the same for the raid scene though. I don't know if you played pre-velious but it wasn't much better on live and overall the drama that comes from raiding here is due to the way it's designed. That's not to say the guilds couldn't be a bit more civil. So if you are a player who wants to be a hardcore raider doing the content first expect to deal with raid drama.

Overall the server is great and it will survive the recent drama. Don't let the idiocy that goes on on the forums turn you away from what is the best classic EQ experience available.

Mardur
09-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Most gaming forums make this one look like sesame street. Kinda goes with the competitive culture. And EQ since the beginning has been about social interaction, reputation, competition, and fucking people over.

Ryba
09-08-2011, 12:36 PM
So far I haven't found the server to be nearly as closed-walled or angsty as I thought it might be. It seems like a lot of people really understand that this is the last bastion of classic EQ. It is pretty unlikely that there will be another MMO like it, so you should respect the game and the other players while they're still around.

WoW is a wasteland of adolescents endlessly repeating blatant carrot-on-a-stick time sinks. Minecraft doesn't even give you a carrot to chase, it just expects you to have Asperger's or develop it spontaneously. P99 sits perfectly in the middle: hard enough and small enough so that a real idiot has a hard time getting ahead. And it does a good job of hiding the stick that the carrot is dangling from. My impressions, anyway.

Thanks for the advice and in-game assistance, everyone. Hope to see you all around.

Tarathiel
09-08-2011, 12:49 PM
The funny thing is, most of the bitching and whining you see on these forums is done by the same 4 or 5 trolls that may or may not even play anymore.

nalkin
09-08-2011, 12:51 PM
The forums are the best part of the game, you skip out on them and you are missing out on the experience. There are people like me who consider the forums to be the real game and the game to be the auxiliary game; something that puts an image to the real game (real game being the forums).

Ennoia
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Most gaming forums make this one look like sesame street. Kinda goes with the competitive culture. And EQ since the beginning has been about social interaction, reputation, competition, and fucking people over.

^^^

I really hate agreeing with Mardur but he hit the nail on the head with this one.