PDA

View Full Version : One week in...

Ryba
09-14-2011, 04:51 PM
I posted on here about a week ago asking if the server was too clusterf***ed for a new player to start on, i.e. would it be a risky time investment to level up now. I was hesitant to begin playing with the sky-is-falling type threads I was reading on this forum. The responses in the thread I posted were generally positive so I started this monk (Ryba) to see for myself...

And it is great. I have never received so much help in an MMO or met with such consistently mature players. There are about 3 people from the forums who were very generous and gave useful advice. If they read this thread they will know who they are. Thank you.

While playing this week, I realized something which might be dead obvious to most people: Project 99 is enjoyable because of an unsigned social contract that says we won't cheat or screw each other over. This isn't live, where you can pretend you are raging against the Sony machine. The more you force GMs to moderate problems and enact bans, the more you bite the hand that feeds. This shit is free, and if you abuse the system you are going to wear down the motivation of the people whose goodwill brought the game you're playing into existence. Where do you think you will play classic EQ with a good population if P99 folds?

I know trolls are an unstoppable force but it seems like in this case they are their own victims. You already know how to behave. "Getting over" is a failed philosophy.

Ryba

Ryba
09-14-2011, 04:54 PM
musical evidence for the above

The Roots -- How I Got Over (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4D1QOLGuM&ob=av2e)

Runningfish
09-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Good post, glad your enjoying the server.

JenJen
09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
hurray :)

ive started playing again too and its been great. lots of friendly people in the newbie zones, gfay in my case.

p99 <3

Uaellaen
09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
good post!

nafgan
09-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Yes, I was surprised when a Shralok pack dropped in Highpass and no one ninja'd it and gated. In fact everyone waited for all of the mobs to be dead before rolling. I'm hoping such polite play carries through with higher value items and at higher levels...

Roanoke
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Glad you're enjoying yourself. The forums really do not represent the overall mindset of the player population here.

Welcome to P99! I generally port newbies around for free so if you're looking for one feel free to message me in game (Roanoke)

Nice music choice too.

Mardur
09-14-2011, 09:09 PM
EverQuest itself fosters a social environment where tools (usually) don't prosper. Add that to the relatively small population of this server, and the loss of reputation for ninja-ing a Sharlok Pack far outweighs the actual value of the item itself.

Kevris
09-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Generally speaking, only the loudest and angriest people post on the forums.

The content ones are too busy playing.

SwordNboard
09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Not to defend ninja-looters, but by the time they and you hit level 60.. no one remembers.

Now pulling that stunt at, or near, level 60, is much different.

However, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! I know I have been.

valkabo
09-15-2011, 05:30 AM
FYI, this thread encouraged me to give away 150pp tonight in gfay via "friends" trivia. I know.. 150pp is nothing, but it was all the plat I had lol.

Goraxx
09-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Yeah I caught JJ two boxing the other night. Some Rykan fellow or something. :O