PDA

View Full Version : Pulling

Bazia
09-15-2011, 08:25 PM
I've noticed in my last couple groups I have been sattled with pulling duty while already tanking.

What classes should I point out and try to assign pulling duty?

I'll do it if I have to but it would be nice to have someone with more utility to do it.

Drogula
09-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I always designate a monk as the "token puller guy".

deneauth
09-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Most people will say monk, but being a 53 ranger I can vouch for their pulling abilities in most situations. (Harmony) It's more difficult with indoor dungeons but with snare it's possible, no problem.

h0tr0d (shaere)
09-15-2011, 08:28 PM
In my experience it can be almost anyone really depending on how the group interacts. I'd go with the person who knows the zone first, and maybe the higher level or one who can survive and not come back to the group at 10pct hp. In solb maybe someone who won't be stunned by bats or aggro every royal camp at once. It really all depends but go with knowledge first. Then it comes down to group makeup and levels. Give me a specific example and I'll elaborate more.

Kevlar
09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Whoever doesn't need to med.

Salty
09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
I'd rather pull on a ranger than a monk.

Root is a pretty epic spell that not enough people in sebilis use.

Pisses me off that frogs sit there and punch a caster for a minute and they don't even try and root the motherfucker.

Cippofra
09-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Really no reason for a monk to be pulling unless fd splitting is necessary. And thats only the first pulls. As a warrior I was always pulling in sebilis. At the time it was really sort of considered part of tanking duty. Pulled so much there that I could still know my way around it after more than 7 years of not seeing it. As someone said before, the person that knows the zone best and doesn't need to med should be pulling.

Francois
09-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Bard

Doors
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
I make lazy casters pull whenever I notice them afk nonstop in my groups. Or just boot them.

SwordNboard
09-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Bards are nifty pullers if they aren't being mana batteries.

Xanthias
09-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm normally the puller in most groups I'm in.

Supaskillz
09-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Rangers and monks both make sense as pullers, I think monks are generally the best option in most dungeons provided they know what they are doing, but rangers have alot of utility with snares and roots. I am a rogue and I pull sometimes. I will agree with shaere zone knowledge is likely the most important factor in pulling well. I feel comfortable pulling every camp in seb save juggs( b/c I cant outrun them with strafe for some reason) simply because I know all the spawn, I know aggro ranges, pathing, etc.

Lazortag
09-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Bards all the way, unless you're doing Juggs or King or some really high level camp, a Bard with a singing steel helm is the best puller you can get.

edit: also doesn't prevent them from playing manasong!

Tarathiel
09-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Ranger first if they can, then bard, then monk, then tank. Although with sneak pulling enabled I would imagine a good rogue could do it to in the right situation, I wish it had been put in sooner for me to play with more. just my 2 cents

cadiz
09-15-2011, 11:48 PM
Really no reason for a monk to be pulling unless fd splitting is necessary. And thats only the first pulls. As a warrior I was always pulling in sebilis. At the time it was really sort of considered part of tanking duty. Pulled so much there that I could still know my way around it after more than 7 years of not seeing it. As someone said before, the person that knows the zone best and doesn't need to med should be pulling.

I second this, there is also a lot of value in having the warrior pull if it's multiples for initial aggro reasons. Rogues are good pullers also with sneak/hide. Bards are probably my favorite pullers, they have it all.

Bazia
09-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I make lazy casters pull whenever I notice them afk nonstop in my groups. Or just boot them.

This is sorta the reason why I was bringing this up.

I have had multiple groups where I was puliing and tanking where casters would afk through multiple encounters (and not just one that I could boot sometimes half the group would afk through a fight).

Specifically NEC's and MAG's and sometimes DRU's if we had a CLR main healing.

Really obvious seeing the pet just standing there doing nothing throught a whole encounter lol

Raghnar
09-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Make the druid pull.

Mbaulmer
09-16-2011, 12:25 AM
When I am on my nec and the group doesn't have a dedicated puller, I offer to pull.
Don't lump all casters as lazy afk'ers just cause there are a lot out there.

Kevlar
09-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Make the druid pull.

No way!

The druid needs to med so he can nuke more!

Webwolf
09-16-2011, 01:33 AM
Paladins can also pull well with the help of lull/pacify. Like someone else said above, almost anyone can pull depending on how well they know the zone.

Seaweedpimp
09-16-2011, 01:51 AM
if youre necro is lvl 29 + , NECRO

h0tr0d (shaere)
09-16-2011, 02:50 AM
It is the player more then the class. The idea the monk shouldn't be is ignorant imo and I don't mean that as an insult, just the actual definition of the word.

Tarathiel
09-16-2011, 04:21 AM
Make the druid pull.

This is actually pretty solid advice, druids can pulls really well with harmony. Teamed up with an sk or pally and there is nothing they can't split. At least in an outdoor zones anyways. Sometimes two pullers are better than one.

Autotune
09-16-2011, 04:50 AM
You're an SK.

I say get used to pulling so you can learn pulling tricks, it will be invaluable later on.

Boot afk'rs no matter what.

Radiskull
09-16-2011, 07:46 AM
I prefer the tank not be the puller in experience groups because you can kill faster. If there's a bard or monk out pulling when the mob in the camp is at ~20%, you just kill faster. When the tank has to finish the mob, run out, grab another mob, come back... that just means killing a bit slower. It works fine, but always having a mob to kill in camp is the way I prefer it.

Messianic
09-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Chanters or Bards who can pull well are my favorites. Even as a monk, their pulls were typically faster (because they could bring them into kind of a CC cycle where the killing never stopped).

FD splitting is more of a patchwork maneuver and doesn't beat genuinely good CC except when CC isn't available (stuff that's immune to mez, etc).

Athosblack
09-16-2011, 09:44 AM
From this thread I am getting the feeling that perhaps Gayngers aren't that useless. *snicker*

beentheredonethat
09-16-2011, 11:16 AM
monk, possibly sk.

Striiker
09-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Chanters or Bards who can pull well are my favorites. Even as a monk, their pulls were typically faster (because they could bring them into kind of a CC cycle where the killing never stopped).

FD splitting is more of a patchwork maneuver and doesn't beat genuinely good CC except when CC isn't available (stuff that's immune to mez, etc).

It all depends upon the situation. I have pulled a lot as an enchanter and it was a non-stop XP killing machine. The DPS and tanks didn't have to stop so someone could go grab more mobs. Camp would be mob currently engaged, plus at least one ready on deck (mez'd, rooted and blurred). I've done this mainly in outdoor situations but have done so inside indoor zones as well. If I am not familiar with the zone or there are a lot of casters or adds, I'll leave pulling to the other classes which can handle the nukes or hits.
I've seen bards do an amazing job pulling as well as warriors, rangers, monks, shadow knights, etc. Most often I have found, that it's the quality of the player, not the class which shines brightest.

Kope
09-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Most often I have found, that it's the quality of the player, not the class which shines brightest.

This.

I play an enchanter too and generally I like to pull mobs because I can arrange the CC that way, my groups usually don't complain, especially in CoM where there's always a mob at the group and usually 2-3 more CCd somewhere and on the way.

That being said it really depends on the situation and the group makeup. Learn what each class can do and when each of them can pull best.

aresprophet
09-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Playing an SK made me appreciate how much Lull or Root helps with pulling. FD splitting is a crude pulling tool, but it does give you a lot of room for error.

Also, not having those few crucial ticks to med between fights as an SK can slow the whole group down. So it's best if someone else does it, since getting snap aggro with disease cloud is so easy.

Ihealyou
09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
As long as the camp is split, or there's CC, I like to pull on my warrior. The extra aggro really helps, and you don't need to med like some of the other pulling classes.

Seaweedpimp
09-16-2011, 05:45 PM
necro necro necro

Quizy
09-16-2011, 11:00 PM
I think a good monk pulling is the best.. Keep the casters medding and the bard/ench ready to Mez as more come into camp.. It's easiest to chain pull with a monk