PDA

View Full Version : Remove Item Linking and New Era Meditate

Doors
09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I think its time to stop half assing project 1999's attempts to emulate classic. If you're going to go all out, stop cherry picking features and actually do it.

Get rid of item linking. NOT CLASSIC.
Get rid of new era meditate. NOT CLASSIC.

While you're at it people should also be nameless while in skeleton form. As it currently stands, NOT CLASSIC.
---

If you disagree with my suggestions, EZ server ---------------> that way. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Runningfish
09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure they've figured out how to do these things or they probably would have.

mimixownzall
09-15-2011, 08:38 PM
inb4r&f

Nimblerot
09-15-2011, 08:38 PM
How exactly does removing item linking make the gameplay "harder"? It doesn't affect game play at all, and all removing it would do would make it a pain in the ass to trade. At least with things like target rings, they directly affect gameplay.

Drieddead
09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
If you disagree with my suggestions, EZ server ---------------> that way. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

I think you should follow your advice and your own arrow....

Kassel
09-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Provide the staff with the trilogy source code and you may get some results. All things you have mentioned are issues caused by titanium client.

Also I hear you can get banned for trolling server chat

Ihealyou
09-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Complaining about not being classic. NOT CLASSIC.
:p

Doors
09-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Provide the staff with the trilogy source code and you may get some results. All things you have mentioned are issues caused by titanium client.

Also I hear you can get banned for trolling server chat

Anyone that actually played back in classic knows these features did not exist yet. Not item linking, and not meditating without your spellbook out.

How exactly does removing item linking make the gameplay "harder"? It doesn't affect game play at all, and all removing it would do would make it a pain in the ass to trade.

Doesn't matter. Item linking is NOT CLASSIC. Didn't exist in 99-00, shouldn't exist here. Period. Too hard for you? Too bad.

hdawg06
09-15-2011, 08:46 PM
It doesn't affect game play at all, and all removing it would do would make it a pain in the ass to trade.

People used to show people bags of items instead of linking them.

Zuranthium
09-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Get rid of new era meditate.

What do you mean by this?

Doors
09-15-2011, 08:50 PM

It's the short way of saying meditate without having your spellbook blocking your entire screen until level 35.

Glitch
09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWRRRR I AM ANGRY. APPEASE ME

Mbaulmer
09-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Doors take a pill.
I am sure once they have the code worked out they will. Bitching and moaning isn't going to make it happen any faster.
Too hard for you, too bad. Since you seem to know where EZ server is why not go there until P99 has taken care of those things you find "not classic". I am pretty certain no one here will miss you.

Doors
09-15-2011, 08:52 PM
How am I angry? I'm surprised these suggestions are getting me flamed so hard. I thought everyone here wanted the classic experience. I guess I was wrong.

Glitch
09-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I think they should code in random connection drops and extreme lag for all players.

Stable server connections are NOT CLASSIC

Slowby
09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
I think they should code in random connection drops and extreme lag for all players.

Stable server connections are NOT CLASSIC

Crud, does that mean that they are going to make my patches take all day too?

Nimblerot
09-15-2011, 08:55 PM
How am I angry? I'm surprised these suggestions are getting me flamed so hard. I thought everyone here wanted the classic experience. I guess I was wrong.

Because I'd rather have the few devs we have working on new content and improving things that actually affect game play rather than have some small stupid change like item links be changed for no reason other than "ITS CLASSIC LOL".

Kassel
09-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Anyone that actually played back in classic knows these features did not exist yet. Not item linking, and not meditating without .

Why did you quote me then not even respond to my comments? Devs had stated multiple times these are client issues they can not currently fix

Zuranthium
09-15-2011, 09:01 PM
It's the short way of saying meditate without having your spellbook blocking your entire screen until level 35.

Oh, yeah, that's got to be very difficult to code.

It's also retarded if people aren't playing EQ as an actual MMORPG. Which they mostly aren't here on p1999.

aubie
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
I think we should have more nerfs and more frequently. OP you're an 'effing moron. I'd suggest gouging out your eyes, ramming a screwdriver through your ear drums, and taking a big sledgehammer and pounding away on your nutsack - I think that would approximate the experience you are looking for.

Doors
09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Meditating with your spellbook blocking your entire screen is going to effect gameplay trust me.

I'm just concerned because I keep hearing this 'not classic' argument but people here only want the classic experience so long as it doesn't inconvience their gameplay. Funny how hypocrisy works.

You could maybe make an argument for keeping item linking in, but everyone knows that shit was not around during Kunark. As far as meditate goes, casters should have their face buried in their spell books till 35. If I have to dig out my nerd bible to prove this I will.

Frankly I just want the most classic experience possible. Anyone arguing against these changes clearly didn't play back in the day. Things should be properly tested on p99 because these two aspects should definitely be a part of the newer, better red server coming out in the next few months.

Zenlina
09-15-2011, 09:07 PM
while they at it why dont they remove /r and tabbing through replies, that wasnt classic either. Revamp the whole UI to make all text going into one window only too.

Because it doesnt effect game play, just communication side of things. Who cares.

Doors
09-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Why did you quote me then not even respond to my comments? Devs had stated multiple times these are client issues they can not currently fix

Rogean also stated once maps in starting zones were client side. They fixed that issue. I have no doubt in Rogean's ability to do literally anything when it comes to project1999.

Hell they even shut off toggling helmet visuals. I'm pretty sure they could code it so meditate doesn't trigger unless you're staring at your spellbook.

As far as item linking goes, I'm assuming that could be easily removed but then again what the hell would I know about coding.

Nimblerot
09-15-2011, 09:10 PM
I did play EQ from release, and I never said that these things weren't classic. My argument is that we have a limited amount of Dev manpower, and I would rather see those hours go toward different things that enhance game play, rather than making random changes just because they're "classic".

Glitch
09-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Lol at you showing up with extreme rage, and then saying,
How am I angry?

In case you didn't notice, nothing indicates extreme rage quite like SIZE 7, BOLDED, UNDERLINED TEXT.

Anyways, you must be new to this whole internet thing, but seething hostility indicates tears and weakness of character so it's an open invitation for people to make fun of you.

That being said, let me direct you here.
Quite simply, we fix things when we have the means.

Notice the other client-related issues which have been recently fixed. Brown skeletons, maps, and spellsets.

On the slate, if not already fixed, bypassing 'tradeskill recipe window' to open tradeskill containers with combine button.

I also requested that PCs in skeleton form not display names (hope that's fixable)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2h2gx6x.jpg

If you know of more client-related bugs, post them.

and then here: http://www.project1999.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Doors
09-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I did play EQ from release, and I never said that these things weren't classic. My argument is that we have a limited amount of Dev manpower, and I would rather see those hours go toward different things that enhance game play, rather than making random changes just because they're "classic".

Things that would enhance gameplay in terms of classic Everquest involve:

Item linking going away.
Meditate requiring the spellbook to be open.

Veeshan's Peak is basically ready they're just not releasing it because anyone in a hard core raiding guild on this server is a piece of shit and has basically pissed off the development crew to the point of utter disgust with this project and the playerbase.

I'm not exactly sure what type of features they're going to implement that would "enhance gameplay." This isn't World of Warcraft, Rogean and Co. aren't developing new abilities or talent trees. You know what this game consists of, if anything in order for them to "enhance gameplay" they need to start removing post Luclin era features.

Doors
09-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Thank you Glitch for linking a post I've already read, which is why I brought up the skeleton thing. Derp.

Nimblerot
09-15-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm not exactly sure what type of features they're going to implement that would "enhance gameplay." This isn't World of Warcraft, Rogean and Co. aren't developing new abilities or talent trees. You know what this game consists of, if anything in order for them to "enhance gameplay" they need to start removing post Luclin era features.

First of all, how would removing item linking enhance game play? By definition, it would actually achieve the exact opposite. The reason you're arguing it should have a high priority is because it's "classic", not an enhancement to gameplay.

As far as no features to implement, at this point I have to assume you're trolling, because you don't seem that dumb. Unless you want Velious to be released like four years from now. Or epics to never be put in. Plus there are other things that can be, and are worked on which is shown by every patch they do.

nilbog
09-15-2011, 09:31 PM
All of these demands have been on a list of requested classic mechanics/features since the beginning of the project. This list is comprised of source requests and as far as we know, "unfixable" issues.

Only recently have we devised any chance of fixing some of it. That's why the .dll files came into the picture. If you noticed, we have been adding client features which have long been missing or non-classically persistent. (brown skeletons, gypsy women models, spellset removal, 'new era' tradeskill recipe window interface bypasses directly to experiment mode for combine containers)

I detect heavy sarcasm from this thread, but I will take it as it is. With that being said, the rest of this thread will be in response to as if you were serious.

If you're going to go all out, stop cherry picking features and actually do it.

They aren't cherry picked. Fixes are created when we have the means to do so. Like the community often commands, "why fix stupid faces when you can fix Y or Z".. and that's what we do. If there are crashes or any type of exploitation, those issues take priority over the removal of say...item links.

If you have these fixes, please give. If you have a way to completely and immediately convert the project to classic, please do. I would love to play instead of develop. Otherwise, make bug reports, research and post as much information as possible, and chill out. That's the best you can do unless you pick up development and submit fixes.

I'm with you. Let's make it as classic as possible.

Doors
09-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Thank you Lord Master Lady Nilbog for your response. I'm actually serious about both of my suggestions. Doubt I could help in terms of the code necessary to make these changes, but consulting the nerd bible I know I could find evidence that meditate required your spellbook to be open until at least level 30. I think it was actually level 35 however.

Doors
09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
First of all, how would removing item linking enhance game play? By definition, it would actually achieve the exact opposite. The reason you're arguing it should have a high priority is because it's "classic", not an enhancement to gameplay.

Removing item link would enhance my gameplay because it would immerse me more into the classic experience. Addition by subtraction.

Titanuk
09-15-2011, 09:43 PM
I think its time to stop half assing project 1999's attempts to emulate classic. If you're going to go all out, stop cherry picking features and actually do it.

While you're at it people should also be nameless while in skeleton form. As it currently stands, NOT CLASSIC.
---

made bluebie

Supaskillz
I think the spellbook fix would have a big impact on the red server if it could be implemented from the get go, its cuts down on some of the edge casters gain over melee in early game pvp.

Convict
I'm not sure they've figured out how to do these things or they probably would have.

Juugox2
09-15-2011, 09:48 PM

in 99 you had to have book open to med

nilbog
09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Oh, here are some of my favorites.

Ducking shouldn't interrupt spells. It should require you wait the cast time of the spell. Alternately, if you are stunned, that should interrupt the cast timer.

Stamina should exist. You should lose stamina when you swing your weapon. On long fights, you need invigor/zing spells. We've tried twice to implement the stamina feature.. but encountered issues with not enough control over the client to fix.

You should be able to drop coin on the ground.

Beggar models should say in a terrible audio file "Spare a copper please?" when hailed. And possibly something else, I can't remember.

Items should say 'no rent' instead of 'temporary'. Items should say 'no drop' instead of 'no trade'.

Message boards should work.

etc, will post more later.

Can anyone else remember classic features that you haven't seen on the server? Make a bug report of what's missing.

Doors
09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
I actually really miss dropping coin on the ground and message boards. I think dropping coin on the ground was abusable somehow though, can't remember exact examples.

acid_reflux
09-15-2011, 10:05 PM
blah blah blah... i want to know who the dancing french hooker is in that dudes signature. post more plz thx.

Vohl
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
For classical purity, all quests should accept any denomination of coin adding to the correct amount. All quests should be multi-quest enabled.

This is a pretty large amount of work without a lot of payback, but there it is.

Xanthias
09-15-2011, 10:27 PM
I actually really miss dropping coin on the ground and message boards. I think dropping coin on the ground was abusable somehow though, can't remember exact examples.

Because people would drop 10K or more in copper on some random low spawn and laugh as the newbie would be unable to move when they looted it.

SwordNboard
09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Damn you mimi, every time you post I have to stare at your sig for at least 15 seconds.

Supaskillz
09-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I thought you could give items to npcs and they would be lootable in classic. Although I don't really want to see this since its super abusable with charm and say steel hilted flint daggers and a full set of gear

SwordNboard
09-15-2011, 10:30 PM

Ducking shouldn't interrupt spells. It should require you wait the cast time of the spell. Alternately, if you are stunned, that should interrupt the cast timer.

Stamina should exist. You should lose stamina when you swing your weapon. On long fights, you need invigor/zing spells. We've tried twice to implement the stamina feature.. but encountered issues with not enough control over the client to fix.

Beggar models should say in a terrible audio file "Spare a copper please?" when hailed. And possibly something else, I can't remember.

Items should say 'no rent' instead of 'temporary'. Items should say 'no drop' instead of 'no trade'.

Can anyone else remember classic features that you haven't seen on the server? Make a bug report of what's missing.

Regen items should not say how much HP they regen.

acid_reflux
09-15-2011, 10:33 PM
more french hooker vids plz.
this subject sucks btw. 0 entertainment value.

Doors
09-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Because people would drop 10K or more in copper on some random low spawn and laugh as the newbie would be unable to move when they looted it.

Yeah that sounds familiar actually. Lol please put coin dropping back in.

JayDee
09-15-2011, 10:47 PM
implementing this idea would probably constitute a wipe imo

Yukahwa
09-15-2011, 10:47 PM
I agree with OP. I don't like wishy washy nerfs in the name of classic...coupled with NON classic ivy hoop and lifetap nerfs. Whats the deal? Custom 99 all the way.

Sitting during long spell casts should also not interrupt spells.

Remove spell sets and leave in bookless medding and add a non 99 nerf..total inconsistency and silliness.

But..p99 server kicks ass, this is only my opinion on this changes that I really don't care about.

korzek
09-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Need to fix UIs as well... everyone should have the classic no see through, take up 80% of the screen UI. None of the velious and better UIs that cheat the game.

mokfarg
09-15-2011, 11:07 PM

---

People should get banned for this disrespect .. if you can make a better classic server or feel that some features shouldn't be classic .. make your own. Seriously toss out these people that are ungrateful for the FREE awesome server that we have been given.

korzek
09-15-2011, 11:16 PM
People should get banned for this disrespect .. if you can make a better classic server or feel that some features shouldn't be classic .. make your own. Seriously toss out these people that are ungrateful for the FREE awesome server that we have been given.

^
Server is truely awesome and I thank everyone that has done there a part into making it what it is today!

Rainflush
09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Well, it's their server, and it's free. I'd say it's entirely up to them to decide what they want to do with it. They may steadfastly adhere to an accurate recreation of "classic" EQ for the most part and decide otherwise on one particular issue or another. Again, it's their server, not yours, not mine, theirs, and they let us play on it for free, so let's do that instead of nitpicking over silly details.

Doors
09-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Silly details are toggling helmet graphics.

Gameplay issues are meditate without having to stare at your spellbook.

Demetrium
09-15-2011, 11:28 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/6/66385/1429754-1253930_this_thread_again_super_super.jpg

Vohl
09-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Well, it's their server, and it's free. I'd say it's entirely up to them to decide what they want to do with it. They may steadfastly adhere to an accurate recreation of "classic" EQ for the most part and decide otherwise on one particular issue or another. Again, it's their server, not yours, not mine, theirs, and they let us play on it for free, so let's do that instead of nitpicking over silly details.

I was thinking along the same lines, but then read nilbog's post. If the GMs want feedback, I'll certainly let 'em know -- I just hope the tone is kept more or less respectful.

Albel420
09-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Things that would enhance gameplay in terms of classic Everquest involve:

Item linking going away.
Meditate requiring the spellbook to be open.

Veeshan's Peak is basically ready they're just not releasing it because anyone in a hard core raiding guild on this server is a piece of shit and has basically pissed off the development crew to the point of utter disgust with this project and the playerbase.

im sure that people whining all the time about dumb shit that they are probably working on, and spazing out using such bold pisses them off too. Why can't you just enjoy the damn game? and if these small things are bothering you SO badly, then leave. /wave. im just happy with all the old memories i get to relive , and even make some new ones.

Doors
09-16-2011, 12:02 AM
While we're at it we should burn books and treat science as heresy. Mokfag doesn't like people voicing their concerns about things.

beentheredonethat
09-16-2011, 12:02 AM
this is dumb. who would even bother playing a caster if they would have to stare at a spell book? server population will drop like 90%.

Titanuk
09-16-2011, 12:05 AM
your monthly payments..... NOT CLASSIC

Doors
09-16-2011, 12:08 AM
this is dumb. who would even bother playing a caster if they would have to stare at a spell book? server population will drop like 90%.

NOT CLASSIC.

Plenty of people dealt with it back in the day. EQ got more popular not less, so obviously spell-book meditate wasn't the end of the world.

I think we should all band together to find some legitimate way to get this change made here on the server. It would really improve things I think. Casters have it way too easy to begin with.

Doors
09-16-2011, 12:10 AM
your monthly payments..... NOT CLASSIC

you're*

mokfarg
09-16-2011, 12:11 AM
While we're at it we should burn books and treat science as heresy. Mokfag doesn't like people voicing their concerns about things.

I am all for the changes you mentioned, get to work on them. Until then shut the hell up. Running you mouth should get your banned about the developers. IF you don't think they are implementing classic changes fast enough (Your real motive is whining because of recent classic changes) then make your own server or fix the stuff yourself.

Doors
09-16-2011, 12:13 AM
I never mentioned anything about developers not making these changes fast enough. I said they should work on these two suggestions in an attempt to bring this server closer to the classic experience. Believe me when I say the immersion would be intense.

Vohl
09-16-2011, 12:19 AM
So Doors, when are you making your own authentic classic server? Get to it, man!

Volsic
09-16-2011, 12:41 AM

It was "Might I have a copper, please?" and while it may have happened when hailed, it also happened at random. You're right about it being friggin awful audio, too. Not only did it take quite some time before we figured out what was being said, but for the longest time I had no idea that it was actual words, haha.

raptorak
09-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Casters deserve this nerf - melee are classical screwed why not casters?

Ravenlof
09-16-2011, 12:51 AM

yup

ElanoraBryght
09-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestion~

Doors
09-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Casters deserve this nerf - melee are classical screwed why not casters?

epicentre
09-16-2011, 02:49 AM
Stop bitching.

If you really wanna help the devs to get as close to classic as possible, start a wiki page with a table containing:
1/ how it is on p99
2/ how it was back in 99/2000 (with evidence)

Threads like these are just intended to flame the p99 team.

Enjoy this free server or create a better one.

vinx
09-16-2011, 03:14 AM
I think you should get off your ass and contribute to the project if you feel so strongly about this issue.
If you dont think they are working on issues fast enough
HELP OUT!

Gameplay issues are meditate without having to stare at your spellbook.
Thats going to be one huge ass book using todays UI
maybe find a way to get your own classic UI and open the book everytime you feel you need immersion.. or
HELP OUT!
get that code into the hands of people that will put it to use!

gankstar1868
09-16-2011, 03:14 AM
First post

Been on server 5-6 days maybe

Played a druid when kunark came out and for a couple years after

I do not know this doors guy but i would donate $20 to the server if he were banned.

Every post of his i read i got a worse headache.

The game seems fine the way it is and i am having a blast. I like being able to link things and for all my friends that never played EQ or did a very long time ago it makes it easy to explain items when they can see them for themselves.

And yes, 90% of the population would leave if you had to med with your spellbook out. EQ only got more people because it was the first 3D mmo of it's kind. Not because people got to med with their spellbooks out.

Life of a caster is a pain imo.

But yea, ban this guy plz k thx bye

mitic
09-16-2011, 03:15 AM
FORCE EQ TO RUN ONLY IN FULL SCREEN MODE AND LET THE GAME CRASH AS SOON YOU TAB OUT!

Buellen
09-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Nilbog politly pointed out what YOU can do to help the project devs out.

You may at YOUR TIME learn to program /and or use your progamming skills to jump in and help the developers overcome the ISSUES that so bother you so mch that you had to spawn this thread.

I do not know how to progamm nor do i wish to take on a project of the size nilbog and comapny have , even if i knew how to program. I cannot help them improve the game to their desired goal, But I play this game on this server because it is fun. I appriciate that this server exists in whatever state they have it and will hope to see it reach the developers goals.

I posted similair post on another thread. It maybe my impression, but you doors and others i have seen on these boards take a tone like you all are enttitled or deserved YOUR WAY because you have played her a long time. As many have posted THIS IS NOT YOUR SERVER, you are allowed to play here because the devs enjoy having this project up.

I could maybe understand some of the folks anger /rage/ dissapointment etc etc If you actualy had to spend money monthely like live. Then Like any service if it was not up to what was advertised you could complain and express your view as to why your not recieving what you payed for. Here on P1999 IT IS FREE. Donating is just that donation you shouldnt expect anything for your donation.

Finally accept the server as it is now and continue to play and get whatever fun you get from playing for FREE or leave. NO ONE IS CHAINING YOU TO YOUR computer and forciing you to play, for it seem you are uhappy with game as it stands now Screaming and throwing a tantrum will not change the game any faster unless you yourself commmit some of your PRECIOUS time and help develop the server through your skills or those of peopel you know.

My 4 cents

Buellen 25th ranger of P1999

Doors
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
FORCE EQ TO RUN ONLY IN FULL SCREEN MODE AND LET THE GAME CRASH AS SOON YOU TAB OUT!

This still happens for me.

RahlaeRuffian
09-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Who cares

toddfx
09-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Doors let me ask you this: Would you also insist that we are all forced to use the Classic UI and be locked into a resolution no larger than 1024x768? Remember you are also insisting upon the spellbook meditation, and we all remember what that was like with classic UI, so is that how you believe we should all be forced to play today too?

Don't get me wrong though, I would have no problems with using classic UI, personally.

Nirgon
09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Item link not classic, remove. It can't be that hard to comment out the part of the code that pops up the item when its linked and set the text to green instead of purple at the least.

Then again, maybe it is. Then again, there's probably more important things to spend time/attention towards.

Doors let me ask you this: Would you also insist that we are all forced to use the Classic UI and be locked into a resolution no larger than 1024x768? Remember you are also insisting upon the spellbook meditation, and we all remember what that was like with classic UI, so is that how you believe we should all be forced to play today too?

Don't get me wrong though, I would have no problems with using classic UI, personally.

I would insist whatever it classic.

Doors
09-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I have no problems using the old stone UI and shitty resolution. Lets do it.

Bardalicious
09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Doors sounds pissy about losing target rings and such tbh.

If you haven't noticed by now, they are obviously just figuring out dll proxies to disable certain features that were untouchable because of the client we use. (thanks Secrets btw!)

If you want shit changed, learn to code more and bitch less. Rub those couple of brain cells together and offer a code fix to the issues you seem to be raging over. I'm sure you know how to code and compile a proxy dll right? No? Then sit back down.

Aadill
09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
By time the classic UI is fixed to be the only choice Velious will be out when the Velious UI became available anyway....

assuming time isn't spent on trying to make the classic UI the only option.

Rasah
09-16-2011, 12:39 PM
One day, this server will be a pristine form of EQ classic, complete with all of the primitive features it launched with.

I wonder how many people are truly interested in playing on a server like that. Perhaps a lot, but I wouldn't be one of them. The old UI would make me want to quit. No, you can't have my stuff.

Aadill
09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Personally I liked the classic UI but I played as a wizard and only for a very short time where that UI was the only option, not in a raid setting or even for very long in big groups.

As far as the meditation thing, I really wish that were to be fixed because Meditation was sort of like spell effects... after reaching a certain level you just got that special something as an accomplishment. Level 35 was the tits back in the day.

Doors
09-16-2011, 12:44 PM
One day, this server will be a pristine form of EQ classic, complete with all of the primitive features it launched with.

I too am hopeful this happens. Rogean once stated maps were a client side issue but they were able to resolve that. I forget what Nilborg mentioned was client side, maybe item linking, but hopefully its gone soon as well. At this point I'm a believer that anything is possible.

Athosblack
09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
We may as well bring back the SOE devs, the SOE GMs and guides and support since that is really what classic is about. RIght? Right?

Elissa
09-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Screw "classic" cumbersome UI features and other crap. If it were possible, I would choose a modern WoWesque-UI to play on P99 every day of the week over even the titanium client. EQ classic was a great game because of its content, gameplay, community and novelty (and now nostalgia). It definitely had nothing to do (for me) with its cumbersome, terrible UI. I play in spite of the UI, it enhances nothing.

Demetrium
09-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Screw "classic" cumbersome UI features and other crap. If it were possible, I would choose a modern WoWesque-UI to play on P99 every day of the week over even the titanium client. EQ classic was a great game because of its content, gameplay, community and novelty (and now nostalgia). It definitely had nothing to do (for me) with its cumbersome, terrible UI. I play in spite of the UI, it enhances nothing.

gankstar1868
09-16-2011, 01:53 PM
+1

Galanteer
09-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I thought you could give items to npcs and they would be lootable in classic. Although I don't really want to see this since its super abusable with charm and say steel hilted flint daggers and a full set of gear

Would love if this was fixed.

Great for charmers -can give weapons, haste items and neg mr items to enhance their pet. (and get it back when they finally kill it)

Great for helping newbies without directly giving. Put that extra bit of armour from Seb on the Orc and next person who kills it gets it. Can even create player run events this way...

vinx
09-16-2011, 03:07 PM
That was pretty nice
know what else was nice about it? putting no-drop gear on skeletons to twink out your lowers :rolleyes:

Galanteer
09-16-2011, 03:16 PM
That was pretty nice
know what else was nice about it? putting no-drop gear on skeletons to twink out your lowers :rolleyes:

that was altered within the first few months of live...

remember the 1st week or so of fear -lowbies could zone in and loot the no drop extras....

Drem
09-16-2011, 03:48 PM

being able to loot someone's corpse if they consented you

Messianic
09-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Such a mindless argument.

"Unless a particular server/mechanics change makes the server 100% classic, the devs are just cherry picking features and don't really want classic."

Go away.

guineapig
09-16-2011, 05:00 PM
I suggest that Doors and Harrison put each other on ignore.
That or do the rest of us a favor and take the argument to a private forum.

mokfarg
09-16-2011, 06:12 PM

I wonder how many people are truly interested in playing on a server like that. Perhaps a lot, but I wouldn't be one of them. The old UI would make me want to quit. No, you can't have my stuff.

Sounds like you are on the wrong server then, that is the server goal is to be as close to classic as possible

greatdane
09-16-2011, 06:16 PM
The GMs should just make a statement to shut people up. Something like...

"If a feature is non-classic but has no conceivable influence on actual gameplay, such as item links and windowed mode, we're not wasting our precious time changing it. Certain issues also cannot be fixed because of client restrictions. Shut up."

Harrison
09-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I suggest that Doors and Harrison put each other on ignore.
That or do the rest of us a favor and take the argument to a private forum.

lol. :rolleyes:

Doors
09-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Sounds like you are on the wrong server then, that is the server goal is to be as close to classic as possible

Seaweedpimp
09-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Derp

Im glad to know you're part of the server Doors, You've provided so much help.

What a moron.

Doors
09-16-2011, 06:48 PM
ty

murrayh81
09-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Okay, so Doors identified certain items for resolution, without realizing that they were already on the list.

He also states that he cannot help with coding to resolve.

I have the perfect solution. He can make substantive monetary donations to the project.

I am certain that this will allow more work to be done sooner by the dev team.

Doors
09-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Money donations help keep the server running, it doesn't come up with the necessary code required to make these changes. Otherwise I would be donating.

murrayh81
09-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Money donations help keep the server running, it doesn't come up with the necessary code required to make these changes. Otherwise I would be donating.

How do you know what the money is used for? The above sounds like an assumption.

If your donation was substantial, how do you know they would not hire a full time developer to take care of the issues that are stumping them?

Rasah
09-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Sounds like you are on the wrong server then, that is the server goal is to be as close to classic as possiblePerhaps I am. But for the past year, I have found this approximation enjoyable, and will continue to play while it is enjoyable. But it's a game. And if the game ceases to be fun, then I'll quit. At least the first person to tell me "If you don't want classic, GTFO" said it in a nice way.

Doors
09-16-2011, 09:32 PM
The above sounds like an assumption.

It's not. They aren't paying developers to code.

Medowin
09-16-2011, 09:55 PM
A server full of people that know the game inside and out with the details of every item in the game, how to do everything the easiest way possible, and can farm millions of plat isn't classic either.

You aren't going to relive that old experience from your childhood unless you build a time machine. Sorry.

Doors
09-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Medowin the REAAALL truth.

Bellum
09-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I distinctly remember being able to switch zones and then go make a sandwich. The Internet is too fast now; it's ruining my ability to be immersed in the classic experience.

That and it's making me really hungry. :'(

pickled_heretic
09-16-2011, 10:27 PM
A server full of people that know the game inside and out with the details of every item in the game, how to do everything the easiest way possible, and can farm millions of plat isn't classic either.

You aren't going to relive that old experience from your childhood unless you build a time machine. Sorry.

can we be friends plz

Kika Maslyaka
09-16-2011, 11:14 PM

Time machine won't cut it - you will still have your memories - what you need a memory wipe :D

anthony210
09-17-2011, 01:03 AM
SIZE 7, BOLDED, AND UNDERLINED TEXT IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!

Bruno
09-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Another nerd bites the dust.

Vonkaar
09-17-2011, 01:43 AM
The amount of whining from all of you ingrates about this free game provided by hard working 'hobbyists' over such trivial things never fails to amaze me. Don't like it? Go make your own fucking server.

Doors
09-17-2011, 01:47 AM
The amount of whining from all of you ingrates about this free game provided by hard working 'hobbyists' over such trivial things never fails to amaze me. Don't like it? Go make your own fucking server.

No.

Seaweedpimp
09-17-2011, 01:52 AM
No.

Tell us your mains name. Either you wouldnt because youre scared of the terrible reputation you have, or you dont even play. Which is it big homie?

Konu
09-17-2011, 02:03 AM
lol doors what a junkie

Doors
09-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Tell us your mains name. Either you wouldnt because youre scared of the terrible reputation you have, or you dont even play. Which is it big homie?

Already on the forums. Search function is your friend. Lets try and stay on topic here.

Seaweedpimp
09-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Already on the forums. Search function is your friend. Lets try and stay on topic here.

Lmao if you think im going to search through your posts to find out who you are. I dont really care. I just had a feeling you wouldnt say so now, and i was right.

Harrison
09-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Careful seaweed, he'll cry to mommy (lolpig) if you point out his trolling and/or hypocrisy.

He's pissed off he lost other features and is now pretending to want hardcore classic. He doesn't care about the technical restraints that anyone here should already know. He doesn't care about the content, logistics involved, or anything affected by his imaginary desires.

Doors
09-17-2011, 02:15 PM
I would love to see this features implemented on p99 before red99 was released. Meditating with a spellbook blocking your screen makes things a lot more interesting on pvp servers.

JackFlash
09-17-2011, 02:18 PM
I forget what Nilborg mentioned was client side

It's Nilbog idiot.

Doors
09-17-2011, 02:41 PM
It's Nilbog idiot.

All close friends of Nilbog know hes actually a cyborg irl thus Nilborg or high lady Nilborg if you prefer.

Doktoor
09-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Hypocrisy: Definately classic.

Doors
09-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah thats not the same exactly.

I'm almost positive theres a reference in Prima's Offical Strategy Guide about meditate requiring a spellbook out until the 30's. I'm assuming it would be offical proof since p99 is currently at Kunark. I'll see if I can dig it out of my attic and take a picture for Nilborg sometime tomorrow.

vinx
09-18-2011, 12:18 AM
He's pissed off he lost other features and is now pretending to want hardcore classic.

Doors
09-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Lets try and stay on track here. Harrison is a known forum offender with multiple bans on his record. I suggest everyone put him on ignore like I have as he is generally known as the 'clueless guy' with very little knowledge about p99 or classic mechanics.

If anyone could help by contributing some research that proves spell book meditate was around during the Kunark era I would be thankful.

Zigfreed
09-18-2011, 01:25 AM
It's your crusade, you do the work.

sineroth
09-18-2011, 02:03 AM
i thought u could use the clicky on the deepwater helm while sitting in classic that would be like a non-nerf well and cast other spells also mabey im wrong i dunno just a suggestion i know its their server im just happy to be part of it

i love the server
free rocks

Juugox2
09-18-2011, 07:28 AM
might aswell make everyone have to use old ui to so when they med they cant see anything with book open DO ITTTTT

nilbog
09-18-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm almost positive theres a reference in Prima's Offical Strategy Guide about meditate requiring a spellbook out until the 30's. I'm assuming it would be offical proof since p99 is currently at Kunark. I'll see if I can dig it out of my attic and take a picture for Nilborg sometime tomorrow.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=396970&postcount=36

might aswell make everyone have to use old ui to so when they med they cant see anything with book open DO ITTTTT

If that was possible, or when it is, we'll use it.

Juugox2
09-18-2011, 08:37 AM
awesome i loved the old ui

Harrison
09-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Lets try and stay on track here. Harrison is a known forum offender with multiple bans on his record. I suggest everyone put him on ignore like I have as he is generally known as the 'clueless guy' with very little knowledge about p99 or classic mechanics.

If anyone could help by contributing some research that proves spell book meditate was around during the Kunark era I would be thankful.

Sorry noname nobody. I know a lot more about P99 and classic mechanics than you do. vztzject

runlvlzero
09-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Sorry noname nobody. I know a lot more about P99 and classic mechanics than you do. vztzject

Harrison is just a mean old married man. Unfortunately he is defending all our hopes and dreams from ourselves when he posts so he comes off a bit rough, but he is a great all American guy, you should listen to what he says. He's on your side!

Ytrafik
09-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Do not click on the links...

insertname
09-18-2011, 02:52 PM
EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark TitleEverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark

Release DateMarch 2000
DeveloperVerant Interactive
PublisherSony Computer Entertainment America, Inc.
ControlsKeyboard, Mouse
Supports3D Acceleration
Included in Package100-page Instruction Manual
Cloth Map
Keyboard Command Sheet
AMG Game IDH 19512SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM PC REQUIREMENTS
Minimum CPU Type: Pentium
Minimum CPU Speed: 200 MHz
Minimum RAM Required: 64 MB
Minimum Hard Disk Space: 600 MB
Graphics Type: SVGA
Graphics Resolution: Multiple Resolutions
Color Depth: 256 Colors

to truley play "classic" ..... Face it somethings are just better today, some not. Why dispence with the improved just to have the "good 'ol". Hell my new laptop is low end, however its 400x the power of these specs. You all do what you want - Im just saying: Giving todays technology ..then.. they would have used it and improved the graphics and interface. Which is what happened over time. Sure SOE botched a few things however even Verrant would have improved upon the orignal as time wore on.

what everyone thinks they want is to "go home again" and revel in the "glory days" which is an idealized version of their youth and child hood... which is what they really want. To return to a simpler time where responsibilities where few and far between.

The good folks that program p99 are doing so of there own FREE will, with zero compensation aside form the occasional "dude you rock". So demanding they do one thing or the other is garbage. You either agree to play by there rules or you dont..play. That said the fact they are asking opinions and gathering input from the player base is very gracious imo and I probally wouldnt do the same ( exspecially given events that have gone down these last couple months). It could very easally be a private server or invite only. So stop taking it for granted, the customer is always right - however we are not customers and they owe us nothing. This is their ball field and toys...so dont like it? - go home. Quit yer bitchen.

That said - an idea: Take the new that improves on thing that where just screwy from the start, gut the garbage that was just stupid to do anyway and have the best of both ..times.

A small note: The fact any of this is actually possable just blows my mind, I get the jist of it however the level of expertise is just impressive - and they do this shit for free? wow.... just wow. thank you.

Galanteer
09-18-2011, 04:17 PM
best thing about this thread is that I learnt I could ignore people on this message board.

Yukahwa
09-18-2011, 05:54 PM
If you want item looting, you should want spell lists too.

I just want policy to be consistent.

Kika Maslyaka
09-18-2011, 06:06 PM
for those who want to relieve TRUE classic experience, I can offer my derelict PC for sale:

300 Mhz Celeron
64 RAM
8 MB ATI video card
5 GB HDD
56K Modem
Win 98

:D

Doors
09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
I just want policy to be consistent.

I totally agree with you.

stormlord
09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark TitleEverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark

Release DateMarch 2000
DeveloperVerant Interactive
PublisherSony Computer Entertainment America, Inc.
ControlsKeyboard, Mouse
Supports3D Acceleration
Included in Package100-page Instruction Manual
Cloth Map
Keyboard Command Sheet
AMG Game IDH 19512SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM PC REQUIREMENTS
Minimum CPU Type: Pentium
Minimum CPU Speed: 200 MHz
Minimum RAM Required: 64 MB
Minimum Hard Disk Space: 600 MB
Graphics Type: SVGA
Graphics Resolution: Multiple Resolutions
Color Depth: 256 Colors

to truley play "classic" ..... Face it somethings are just better today, some not. Why dispence with the improved just to have the "good 'ol". Hell my new laptop is low end, however its 400x the power of these specs. You all do what you want - Im just saying: Giving todays technology ..then.. they would have used it and improved the graphics and interface. Which is what happened over time. Sure SOE botched a few things however even Verrant would have improved upon the orignal as time wore on.

what everyone thinks they want is to "go home again" and revel in the "glory days" which is an idealized version of their youth and child hood... which is what they really want. To return to a simpler time where responsibilities where few and far between.

The good folks that program p99 are doing so of there own FREE will, with zero compensation aside form the occasional "dude you rock". So demanding they do one thing or the other is garbage. You either agree to play by there rules or you dont..play. That said the fact they are asking opinions and gathering input from the player base is very gracious imo and I probally wouldnt do the same ( exspecially given events that have gone down these last couple months). It could very easally be a private server or invite only. So stop taking it for granted, the customer is always right - however we are not customers and they owe us nothing. This is their ball field and toys...so dont like it? - go home. Quit yer bitchen.

That said - an idea: Take the new that improves on thing that where just screwy from the start, gut the garbage that was just stupid to do anyway and have the best of both ..times.

A small note: The fact any of this is actually possable just blows my mind, I get the jist of it however the level of expertise is just impressive - and they do this shit for free? wow.... just wow. thank you.
The problem is no two people can agree exactly on what represents the "glory days" and what is an improvement. I think we can all agree that some things they added to EQ were good and some things they added were bad, but all of us are going to have different goods and bads - with some of us having an almost equal judgment and others differing widely. And another thing you have to consider is that games are different from RL. I can run a game that is over 10 years old on my computer, have some fun, and revel in the nostalgia too. But I can't go back to when I was a 16 year old in high-school. Of course, not all games can be brought back from the grave, but many can - and that's different from RL.

And then.. I like history. There're so many games, FUN games, that it blows my mind. Even if a old game has old ideas, I still like to play it. I made a post about this some time ago. Several years ago I was having fun playing an old game called The Adventures of Maddog Williams. It uses the old keyboard input scheme and graphics are way outdated. Some people might not think ti's worth trying for these reasons and others. You can find out more about this game here:
http://www.gamecrafters.com/gamecrafters/maddog/

Rogue-likes are fun to look into (a lot of them are old):
http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Roleplaying/Rogue-like/

Another place to find out about some old games:
http://www.abandonia.com/games/189

I am playing Diablo right now. That was made in 1998. Just imagine clicking your mouse a lot. It's old by so many standards. Diablo 2 improves on a lot of it. But, hey, here I am playing Diablo 1! *shrug*

If it were my choice, I'd keep (this is off the top of my head):
1) Spell descriptions
2) Target ring
3) Maps for cities
4) Item linking
5) Meditate without spellbook

But those things weren't available back then. So they're supposed to be removed. Me, I won't die without these things. I'll still play here and enjoy it just as much. But it doesn't bother me to have them in the game.

But then... if it were my choice I'd make it a skill-based game and allow people to pick whatever skill/spell they want to use. I really think class systems are too restricting. I'd change a million other things too. I could go on and on.

But alas, I am not self-righteous about this. I only play this game probably a month in every 5 (or so), and only part-time at that. I play too many games to be bothered by the little things here at p1999. I come for the community.

Haul
09-18-2011, 09:53 PM

haha

Ruenaros
09-19-2011, 04:07 PM
The problem is no two people can agree exactly on what represents the "glory days" and what is an improvement.

I would be genuinely surprised if anyone could unsarcastically argue that the two things mentioned in the post topic aren't universal improvements. Anyone who would has never leveled a caster in classic EQ, or they belong to a very extreme minority.

That said, the topic is pretty moot since the buck doesn't stop here. If the devs want to emulate 1999 EQ at any cost, that's their perogative.

stormlord
09-19-2011, 05:19 PM
I would be genuinely surprised if anyone could unsarcastically argue that the two things mentioned in the post topic aren't universal improvements. Anyone who would has never leveled a caster in classic EQ, or they belong to a very extreme minority.

That said, the topic is pretty moot since the buck doesn't stop here. If the devs want to emulate 1999 EQ at any cost, that's their perogative.

I was respondong to what he said, like this:

What is the new thing that improves on the thing that was screwy from the start? What does it mean to gut the garbage that was just stupid? What does it mean to have the best of both times? Who are we going to ask?

If you've read my other posts in this thread you would know that I'm not a big fan of removing these things. I was critical of the other poster because his reply seemed to say that most things about the "glory days" are bad. I omitted the part where he rambles on about the old days (when everything was perfekt) and how they sucked so bad. I disagree. I still play a lot of old games and that's because I haven't played them before. It's not nostalgia, if you haven't played something before. And secondly, the changing trends in gaming leads to completely different game-play every several years. I like to play old games to give their game-play styles a run-through. So, for me, it's valuable to see and play the game as it was, not as games are today. Maybe if I reread his post I will get a different message from what he wrote.

I agree with him, if he's only referring to the removal of things like: item linking, meditating without spellbook, target ring, spell descriptions, maps for cities. But there're also many ways that these things can be implemented. The way that SOE did maps, for example, is not the only way to do it. They made us download maps and install them in our maps folder to use them. That involves file system knowledge - not everyone is good at knowing those things. And then there was the the little thing that you had to restart EQ to reload the maps. Another way to have done it is to make the maps available in-game via merchants or the bazaar or trading between players. Another thing they could have done is possibly to allow players to draw directly onto the map. And then there're the other things like showing the locations of yourself and your group members on the map. Those things are game-play choices that do not have to be there.

What I'm saying is a LOT of features in a game are not tangible improvements. It depends on the player. Many players do not like lots of icons and windows on their screen, for example. They would prefer not to have to worry about hitpoints or even mana points. There're lots of ways of looking at things. I don't think you can pigeon-hole everyone.

I play a variety of games. Everything from games 20 years ago to today. I've goofed around occasionally with Angband and Dwarf Fortress and MUDs. Many of them break all the rules by EQ's standards. Should they be fixed too?

P1999, by todays standards, already is breaking a ton of rules. Should we fix it?

The heart of the matter is that if i was in control of this project I wouldn't even bother removing these things. Any argument we might have in this thread must keep that in mind before exploding into a 20 page war.

Renk
09-19-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm more with Elissa/Throb on this one, in that I enjoy this somewhat hybridized server(before last patch) more than an absolute classic re-creation.

While I love the nostalgia of most of the classic content and gameplay, I also enjoy some of the more modern UI/mechanic conveniences as part of my bluebie experience here. (hi-res modes, texture updates, newer UI, windowed mode, multiple chat boxes, spellsets, itemlinks, target ring, newbie maps, no book-meditate, etc)

However, if Nilbog wants to get rid of these that's his prerogative, and I can only thank him for his efforts here, and if I don't like it I can either go start/pay for a server myself or GTFO.

Ideally, it would be nice if there were different servers to cater to different tastes:
1) Nearly full on classic EQ. (though perhaps without issues like extra lag/crashes and bad CS like people have mentioned :D )
2) Hybridized, similar to P99 now, though with spellsets/etc back in.
3) Red99, which should probably be more like full classic, because no target rings and having book meditate accurately re-create the harsher realities of pvp back then.

However, I'm not sure if there's enough population to spread around in a system like that atm, but perhaps someday.

inyane
09-19-2011, 06:54 PM
What I've learned since playing on this server...

The more classic they make it, the less fun it is.

Aesop
09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
I think Doors needs to be banned for his own good. Mods this is a human interest issue. Ban will raise his blood pressure for a little while but it will eventually subside.

Doors
09-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned for mentioning classic features that aren't currently in but should be due to the aim of the project?

k.

Harrison
09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
We told you already:

The things changed are changed when able to be fixed.
If they are not it is due to technical restraints as a result of using the client we do.
You know these things, but are butthurt because you lost targeting rings, spell sets, etc. so you're trolling PRETENDING to want hardcore classic mode.

You're failing at it. Troll failed.

Kika Maslyaka
09-19-2011, 08:32 PM
just the opposite, Doors have been trolling with 200% success for last 15 pages, and you guys gave him so much troll-food, he has enough to last a year :D:D:D

Doors: 15
Community: 0

Aesop
09-19-2011, 09:33 PM
also ban Kika for encouraging trolling plz

Titanuk
09-19-2011, 09:40 PM
i feel that EQ blue servers are like women, while the red servers are more like men.. Blue servers cry and twist things to get there way and have the most drama on them, like a women.. Red server is full of lying assholes and just a bunch of amazing douchebags, like a man

Kika Maslyaka
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
also ban Kika for encouraging trolling plz

LOL
in this case also ban Aesop for stupidity :D

nymphloa
09-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Remove this thread already ZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZ

Doors
09-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Why? Only Harrison is under the assumption I am trolling. And hes actually the only person thats doing it.

I just want to see this implemented on both p99 and red99 because it makes classic EQ all the more better.

Harrison
09-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Anyone looking at your post history knows this is a troll.

visage
09-20-2011, 05:43 AM

Harison looks up post history before posting... A new kind of homework LOL

Vohl
09-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Just ban everyone posting to this thread.

Oh, sna

Sniperfire
09-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Meditating with your spellbook blocking your entire screen is going to effect gameplay trust me.

I'm just concerned because I keep hearing this 'not classic' argument but people here only want the classic experience so long as it doesn't inconvience their gameplay. Funny how hypocrisy works.

You could maybe make an argument for keeping item linking in, but everyone knows that shit was not around during Kunark. As far as meditate goes, casters should have their face buried in their spell books till 35. If I have to dig out my nerd bible to prove this I will.

Frankly I just want the most classic experience possible. Anyone arguing against these changes clearly didn't play back in the day. Things should be properly tested on p99 because these two aspects should definitely be a part of the newer, better red server coming out in the next few months.

and there we finally have it, an agenda

visage
09-20-2011, 09:07 AM

http://i54.tinypic.com/11bm8vd.jpg

Misto
09-20-2011, 09:14 AM
If you think about it, we are not living in the classic time of 1999.

There's only two options.

We invent a time machine and travel back in time, or we kill ourselves.

XiakenjaTZ
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I was thinking this is just a really well executed Doors troll with some backup from other well known trollers.

I understand 100% classic but some features just make sense and should have been in from the beginning. Spell descriptions, i mean seriously, what moron forgot to add spell descriptions when they released this game.

mwatt
09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
First of all, let me say that I will enjoy this server no matter what degree of ultimate classicness is finally acheived. It is already close enough to the original spirit of Everquest to make me ecstatic - it's better than any other MMO past or present IMO.

Having said that, If I had my "druthers", I would rather have time spent on direct gameplay issues that are significantly different than what was provided by the classic experience, than upon UI features of little game play consequence that don't compromise the spirit of EQ. I'll list a few "significantly different" game play issues to illustrate what I'm talking about:

* Mob pathing: Example, pathing patterns of mobs in Burning Woods.
* Mob spawning rules (what PH spawns what): Example, killing basalisks / lizard men on the Hill Giant plateau in Rathe Mtns does not spawn more HGs (only HGs spawn HGs here).
* Zones with Cycles not working as well: Example, Trak's Teeth Hunter and Forager cycles almost never spawn a rare relative to the rare spawn rate on live.
* Mob run speed and getting hit from behind from ridiculously far away.
* The spell resist system for mobs is still not quite right. In general There are too few resists for low blues and too many for high blues and whites. For some reason, this is especially true for levels of around 25 to 40.

If something from the above list is impossible or functionally impossible, then never mind about that one. I do know that pathing adjustments require data that is possibly unavailable and very time consuming to work on even with enough data. I also have read that the mob run speed and hit from behind distance is a compromise worked out because the controls for this were client side - so maybe that is not fixable, or maybe it is fixable these days, I dunno.

Again, I want to emphasize, I am in no way complaining. I sooooo appreciate what has been handed to me gratis. If nothing were ever done to affect the list I wrote above, I'd still be perfectly happy. If they disable item linking and enforce pre-35 "spell book" medding, I'd still be perfectly happy.

kobexbloo
09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
If you think about it, we are not living in the classic time of 1999.

There's only two options.

We invent a time machine and travel back in time, or we kill ourselves.

I vote the second.

Nirgon
09-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Dune Tarantulas spawning in north ro instead of desert tarantulas. Need fix braseph.

Arkyani
10-05-2011, 05:05 AM
The problem is, we're already in kunark - what the hell is the point of spending time on code that is just going to have to be reverted back in velious? that makes no sense. sure its not "classic", but the devs have more pressing issues. I'd rather them be working on fixing actual bugs, or developing velious then having to take out code just to redo it next expansion.

People who whine about item linking are only doing it to piss off other people. The mediatate with spell book thing I can sort of agree with for PVP reasons, but I would bet that 98% of the things people bitch about not being classic (which are so mundane and dont even affect actual gameplay) are just trolling.

visage
10-05-2011, 07:37 AM
do it,.

nilbog
10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Dune Tarantulas spawning in north ro instead of desert tarantulas. Need fix braseph.

Both spawned there, and do spawn there, brodog.

bonehand
10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I think you should follow your advice and your own arrow....

His arrow isn't classic, so he can't follow it.

Nirgon
11-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Both spawned there, and do spawn there, brodog.

Alright got another for ya, this time in Lavastorm. How about rock dervishes being aggressive when you get near them. Fire drakes, dervishes never attacked on proximity for me on live. Fire elementals and fire imps definitely did... just remembered lava crawlers but I'd hafta think about em!

toddfx
11-11-2011, 04:01 PM
madmen in oasis did this on live IIRC

Really?

You bumped this obnoxious thread for that two cents?

Daldaen
11-11-2011, 04:55 PM

They also dropped water flasks x 3-4 every kill too. Was an awesome way to get drink.

MrSparkle001
11-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Yeah they should be say "might I have some copper please?"

Item linking is highly useful and is the sort of feature that should remain, classic or no. Classic meditating was annoying and served no purpose other than to be annoying, so nothing lost in not adding it.

Not everything about classic needs to be added, but I do know it's frustrating when certain things are cherry-picked, like adding pet class nerfs but not adding pet class buffs.

bakkily
11-11-2011, 10:30 PM
over all this guy's just a shmuck

xblade724
11-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Wow this guy is a tool. Some things were released as intended to be an original feature, or they had hoped to have as a classic feature that they never got around to doing so. Consider these one of them. You, sir, are a baby.

webrunner5
11-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Sure and why doen't we all go back to a 300 Baud Modem with dial up and have 2 updates every week that took half the day to do like in in old days. And have AOL crash like every three hours.

Not everyone is 12 to 16 years old like they were in 1999 anymore playing this game. Most have a real life now. A wife, kids, a job hopefully, and a lot of other things to do then to try and make this game the hardest game in the world.

To me it is plenty Classic enough now on PvP to make your life miserasble enough now in the long run. :D

Flunklesnarkin
11-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Im not sure where I read it.. I browse the forums time to time..

but i think i seen one of the devs say before that p99 isn't suppose to be 100% classic... just classic(ish)

i don't think anybody would like a dial up emulator. for example lol

I can understand minor improvements to the games UI... I mean how many people had the map add on that everybody seems to use today in classic?

If you can explain to me how linking items actually ruins the classic feel maybe I'd be able to support you... only thing i see it doing is making it faster for people to buy stuff... so you don't have to spend 10 minutes researching an item before you buy it or risk getting ripped off.

Tuffpuppy
11-24-2011, 12:01 PM
If you are looking for true classic everquest, this isnt the place. This is custom classic everquest. They add and remove things to make it their vision of how classic everquest should have been.

Slave
11-24-2011, 02:17 PM
I mean how many people had the map add on that everybody seems to use today in classic?

Wait, what?

Doors
11-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Still waiting for item link to be disabled pls! Also need spell book mediate till 35.

bakkily
11-24-2011, 03:20 PM
get over your self doors

Rilen
11-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Seriously, of all the things broken, incorrect, or wholly inaccurate; you choose this bullshit to bitch about?

WWWWAAAAAHHHH WWWAAAAAAH SOMEONE GIVE ME ATTENTION WWWWAAAAAHHHH WWAAAAAAHHH.

Maybe you could figure out how to jump on in and do this stuff for them, I bet they'd probably be down with that. You know, helping out, doing the part you so vehemently believe in.

Diggles
11-24-2011, 03:29 PM
people still think Doors isn't a troll? cute

Brad_mo123
11-24-2011, 03:38 PM

---

Bottom line is, theres two main reasons these things are not implemented yet. One is these are very minor things in comparison to the other 100 major things that do not work so they are not important at the moment and two the devs try to think in the best interest of it's players so that big spell book in your face is something hardly anyone ever enjoyed, plus it would require the classic ui to do so which would be a whole lot of work. I for one loved the classic ui and will untill the day I die, really wish it was here but I am a huge nostalgia freak and realize that not everyone is.

Vondra
11-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Players showering and having a life outside the game: NOT CLASSIC

rafaone
11-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Go then ..

Flunklesnarkin
11-25-2011, 03:56 AM
Wait, what?

There was some thread on the whole map thing a bit back yesterday and I'm too tired to look it up atm.. just got done standing in black friday sale line to get new laptop.

Here i did find this quote with search

This won't solve all your travel issues but it sure helps for finding your way around in zones like SolA.

EQ GPS
http://www.wix.com/klatheq/eqgps

It's a log parser that watches for /loc entries in your characters log file and then plots them on an image of the map of the zone you're in.

There is a discussion about whether a log-parser based approach to mapping logged /locs constitutes a violation of the server rules in this thread. (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54264)

Here's what it looks like with a /loc from the EC tunnel:
http://i51.tinypic.com/98607t.jpg

Its a link to the thing they were talking about. It sounded like a fair number of people use that tho from what I was reading.

Well good night and see you later

edit: and derp.. seen the link to the thread in the quote.. so there you have it lol

Bipo
11-25-2011, 09:41 PM
If you would like it to be more classic, you can send me 10 bucks a month :D