PDA

View Full Version : What do we want to see in beta?

Galacticus
09-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Beta is confirmed, question is: "What should we focus on during beta?"

Titanuk
09-17-2011, 02:06 AM
pathing

Galacticus
09-17-2011, 02:08 AM
pathing

What about it?

Aenor
09-17-2011, 02:29 AM
Resists. My suggestion is to have a /testbuff command that lets you ding +10 levels and max all skills every few days so that we can test PvP at every level range.

Anyone suggesting that there shouldn't be a wipe after PvP beta is a Mom's basement virgin. The vast bulk of beta testing for Red99 has already been accomplished by the blue server.

Ziggy
09-17-2011, 02:46 AM
Resists, Teams?

Aenor
09-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Resists, Teams?

Teams dead horse brew.

Titanuk
09-17-2011, 03:10 AM
i like teams the best.. when we have 2k population

Wonton
09-17-2011, 03:33 AM
i would play on the beta in a heart beat, please release <3

Titanuk
09-17-2011, 03:35 AM
they doin da best they can friends

greatdane
09-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Resists, spell PvP functionality (fear, charm), spell damage, melee mechanics. That's probably it. Considering how complete blue99 is, the beta shouldn't even have to take more than like a week or two.

XiakenjaTZ
09-17-2011, 09:03 AM
also make sure items that break PvP have been removed.

egg shaped pumice
that sword that procs clockwork poison

moslty resists and mele vs caster damage in PvP

nilbog
09-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Most things I'd like to see tested have been mentioned. Content should look good already, however I do expect to see bugs. The initial rush of low level players in city zones are the best time to get remaining/undiscovered content bugs resolved.

-Resists
-Melee dmg versus cloth/chain/plate
-Melee efficiency (last I checked, you could miss someone who is sitting down, and not hit for full dmg)
-Item loot for beta? Won't matter because pixels won't be kept. It will be a good test to see if people like looting players.
-If fear/charm work from PC->PC, the effectiveness of it and potential exploits involved.
-Spells which may need tweaks to work appropriately. (blind, snares, stuns, roots, mez)
-Items which may need tweaks to not be gamebreaking. (ivandyr's hoops, dispell stones (pumices), etc)

Pretty much.. test pvp. And low level pvp.. in beta, it seems everyone always prefers to test max level fights. Low/mid level pvp is just as important as high level.

Lazortag
09-17-2011, 09:20 AM
pathing

Pathing is already done on Blue99, this isn't some shit server like vztz

Titanuk
09-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Pathing is already done on Blue99, this isn't some shit server like vztz

dont lazortag me bro

Titanuk
09-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Most things I'd like to see tested have been mentioned. Content should look good already, however I do expect to see bugs. The initial rush of low level players in city zones are the best time to get remaining/undiscovered content bugs resolved.

-Resists
-Melee efficiency (last I checked, you could miss someone who is sitting down, and not hit for full dmg)
-Item loot for beta? Won't matter because pixels won't be kept. It will be a good test to see if people like looting players.
-If fear/charm work from PC->PC, the effectiveness of it and potential exploits involved.
-Spells which may need tweaks to work appropriately. (blind, snares, stuns, roots, mez)
-Items which may need tweaks to not be gamebreaking. (ivandyr's hoops, dispell stones (pumices), etc)

Pretty much.. test pvp. And low level pvp.. in beta, it seems everyone always prefers to test max level fights. Low/mid level pvp is just as important as high level.

eta?

Billbike
09-17-2011, 09:34 AM
I would like to see melee's damage (pvp) properly assessed and brought up to par versus the other 75% of the classes.

It's beta, do something fun like give pure melees a low chance to triple at lvl 50, or maybe 1% crit chance from the start. What's the worst that could happen? 1 more player rolls melee? Or a melee 2 rounds a sitting caster?

Just do something, anything. Especially if there is item loot, melees are at a huge disadvantage there.

Titanuk
09-17-2011, 09:35 AM
I would like to see melee's damage properly assessed and brought up to par versus the other 75% of the classes.

It's beta, do something fun like give pure melees a low chance to triple at lvl 50, or maybe 1% crit chance. What's the worst that could happen? 1 more player rolls melee? Or a melee 2 rounds a sitting caster?

Just do something, anything. Especially if there is item loot, melees are at a huge disadvantage there.

melees are op in classic

greatdane
09-17-2011, 09:46 AM
-Resists

Do we have any credible sources for this or are we making educated guesses? Have PvP resists been checked out on blue99 yet (for duels)?

I know it works in PvE - mobs will always hit you, and for maximum damage, unless they start off with a kick/bash that makes you stand before the melee hits land.

It couldn't hurt since it's the beta, but I don't think you'll get an accurate picture of general player reception for the same reason. Players might be fine with itemloot in beta because it's pretty inconsequential even if they vote against it for the actual server.

What's the default dev opinion on these two? You could technically go either way since fear/charm were initially part of PvP, but the problems have been discussed before as well as valid reasons to exclude it. If the potential exploits are the same as what has already been brought up in those discussions, what's your personal opinion?

Most of these should work more or less correctly if the resist system is accurate. Anything we can do to test things like this on blue99 while we wait? Maybe it'll speed the process up a little. Anything to get the server out sooner.

I think the verdict on instant pumice is pretty unanimously no, but they were part of the game for somewhat longer than charm/fear, I believe. What's your stance on things that are obviously gamebreaking but were part of the game long enough that leaving it out of red99 qualifies as non-classic?

Just do it like modern games do: test it in tiers. Have the level cap start at 20 and then raise it by 10 every few days. That'll force people to PvP in the intended level ranges. XP rate would have to be increased for the beta so people don't waste all their time leveling, but I think we should have to level up by actually grouping/grinding to get a proper simulation of server gameplay. Much of the PvP will take place in dungeons and over camps and such.

Kelsar
09-17-2011, 10:04 AM
just want to see beta... we can figure the rest out before it goes live.

greatdane
09-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Bolt spells might need to be looked at. I think they're still kinda broken, it just doesn't get mentioned much because it's so easy to position yourself right in PvE. Might cause more problems in PvP.

gloinz
09-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Resists. My suggestion is to have a /testbuff command that lets you ding +10 levels and max all skills every few days so that we can test PvP at every level range.

Anyone suggesting that there shouldn't be a wipe after PvP beta is a Mom's basement virgin. The vast bulk of beta testing for Red99 has already been accomplished by the blue server.

this + beta should only last a week or 2 and then close that shit and prepare for release

Vile
09-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I want to see Texas Hold Em' implemented in game for PP.

It could work... I know it can. Knuckle knows bros.

Lasher
09-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Id like to see me in beta playing a character

Smedy
09-17-2011, 10:23 AM
prio 1 resist
prio 2 melee damage in pvp
prio 3 helping smedy film the last part of epic promo vid for red99 (need a staged braveheart scene kind of)

greatdane
09-17-2011, 10:55 AM
when was this confirmed? and did they say when this supposed beta is coming out?

Rogean said there would be a beta. That's pretty much it. It was more like "of course there'll be a beta before the server opens", not like "GET READY FOR BETA GUYS 10... 9... 8..."

Knuckle
09-17-2011, 11:48 AM

-Resists

not for melee really, a warrior/monk/rogue is a joke untill the end game, think i'll be rolling a warrior to test stuff on beta? ill be a magician/necro like everyone else who knows beta is temporary, the very act of choosing melee in this instance is knowing that all your power comes from endgame dungeons/raids. Let's also factor in no resist gear = sitting duck in pvp as a melee. What's to stop someone from chain rooting me? pumice are 6pp a pop I wont have anything like that untill around level 20 more than likely.

Not QQing just trying to point out not many people are willing to bear the cross of getting shit on in low level melee pvp.

greatdane
09-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Just provide beta characters above level 20 with some basic resist gear. I've given examples in several threads of how you can get 80-100ish MR with really trivial gear like Dwarven Ringmail Tunic, Bloodstained Mantle, Mistmoore shield and other shit that won't take any effort to get as soon as the server has been up for a month's time. <20 PvP probably doesn't need more than a day or two of testing just to make sure something isn't completely fucked in the beginning. 20-50 will be what really matters, especially 40-50. Just have the /testbuff package provide some basic gear that anyone could get in a week. A low/mid-level warrior isn't completely helpless with 80-100ish MR, but if you expect them to PvP with 25 MR, nobody will bother testing melees.

Terpuntine
09-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Release the beta let's do this.

Convict
09-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Release the beta let's do this.

Amuk
09-17-2011, 12:28 PM
I want to fight over each others patchwork in crushbone to get a good grasp of if people like item loot.

XiakenjaTZ
09-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Just provide beta characters above level 20 with some basic resist gear. I've given examples in several threads of how you can get 80-100ish MR with really trivial gear like Dwarven Ringmail Tunic, Bloodstained Mantle, Mistmoore shield and other shit that won't take any effort to get as soon as the server has been up for a month's time. <20 PvP probably doesn't need more than a day or two of testing just to make sure something isn't completely fucked in the beginning. 20-50 will be what really matters, especially 40-50. Just have the /testbuff package provide some basic gear that anyone could get in a week. A low/mid-level warrior isn't completely helpless with 80-100ish MR, but if you expect them to PvP with 25 MR, nobody will bother testing melees.

I agree with this guy.

"balanced pvp" with junk gear is not the same as "balanced pvp" with standard gear.

You almost need a short test for:
newb gear - almost no resists at all (1 to 14)
mid level stuff - befallen, mist more, etc.. (15 to 40)
planes stuff / guk and dragons (41 to 50)

nilbog
09-17-2011, 01:14 PM
I want to fight over each others patchwork in crushbone to get a good grasp of if people like item loot.

I agree. Sounds fucking awesome.

Knuckle
09-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree. Sounds fucking awesome.

Serious question, is there any sort of name protection in place or are trolls free to jew our names on release?

Jessie
09-17-2011, 01:18 PM
So is this legit about Beta being released soon or are you guys all just excited? I visit these forums for updates but all I see is posts of people saying what they WILL do if and when the server actually is up.

Is there a true ETA posted by any devs?

Wassup to all my homies from VZ/TZ! Can't wait to pwn these blueblies and hear the tears!

nilbog
09-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Serious question, is there any sort of name protection in place or are trolls free to jew our names on release?

I don't know anything about special name protection. I'd say be there first, as is the case on any other server. Rogean might have a different answer, but that's mine.

Knuckle
09-17-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't know anything about special name protection. I'd say be there first, as is the case on any other server. Rogean might have a different answer, but that's mine.

just sucks because if we dont get a heads up i guarantee you trolls are going to take - rexx, knuckle, estrang, lasher, xantille etc.

Spud
09-17-2011, 01:38 PM
just sucks because if we dont get a heads up i guarantee you trolls are going to take - rexx, knuckle, estrang, lasher, xantille etc.

better be fast Knuckle

http://trollface.sparxified.com/Trollface_HD.jpg

greatdane
09-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Seems silly not to make the minimal effort to protect the names of the players who are likely to make up the core playerbase of the server. It's not as if it'll get launch delayed by a month. Why let RL griefers shit all over the people who will make your server as popular as possible? A lot of red99's appeal is that many of the big VZTZ names will play there.

Knuckle
09-17-2011, 02:20 PM
its not classic to get ur name stolen upon release

nilbog
09-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Seems silly not to make the minimal effort to protect the names of the players who are likely to make up the core playerbase of the server. It's not as if it'll get launch delayed by a month. Why let RL griefers shit all over the people who will make your server as popular as possible? A lot of red99's appeal is that many of the big VZTZ names will play there.

The big difference in our pvp server and vztz is that we aren't making it for 10 people. Sorry, that shit isn't happening. There are loads of people with vztz source and they can bring it right back up if they want to do the same thing over again.

Everyone is an individual to me and I don't care who someone is or was.

In closing, this is not and won't be vztz.

Spud
09-17-2011, 02:30 PM
fixed

I'm just playing around, I hope you guys get your names. I feel like I already know all the VZTZ celebs just from these forums.

Harrison
09-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Definitely going to be stealing people's names just to see them cry about getting name pvp'd

Crenshinabon
09-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Definitely going to be stealing people's names just to see them cry about getting name pvp'd

Except there is no yellow text. So this doesn't really work.

Aenor
09-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Everyone always prefers to test max level fights. Low/mid level pvp is just as important as high level.

Agree and thus my suggestion for an incremental beta buff so that you can test each range in turn. But I'd also like to see Kunark and maybe even Velious open for beta and /testbuff all the way to 60 for the close of beta and give everyone end game gear to test. Definitely don't want to overlook low to mid levels, but I would love it if beta tested 1-60, skills at different ranges and resists at all values.

Bolt spells might need to be looked at.

Could you elaborate?

I want to see Texas Hold Em' implemented in game for PP.

Priority #1. Should be able to sit around the camp fire and make loot off your group mates.

prio 3 helping smedy film the last part of epic promo vid for red99 (need a staged braveheart scene kind of)

I will be an extra if the catering is decent.

Aenor
09-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Also this, the bluebie is right.

Haha I'm gonna speak politely so I don't get tazed again. I was the primary architect of the light vs. dark dynamic on the Vallon Zek teams PvP server in 1999-2000. As a guild leader on EQ live, I am undefeated in direct guild vs. guild warfare. Please make sure I know your character name when the server goes live. I will be easy to find.

Kelsar
09-17-2011, 04:33 PM
can we get a beta plz? That's all I really want to see atm - A BETA SERVER.

Galacticus
09-17-2011, 04:52 PM
when was this confirmed? and did they say when this supposed beta is coming out?

If you join the IRC channel It says "#red99 ||| <Rogean> we're provisioning hardware for red99 ||| Beta confirmed, date unknown. "

Xantille
09-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I am undefeated in direct guild vs. guild warfare.

greatdane
09-17-2011, 05:01 PM
What? You want the testing to be done one level at a time from 1 to 50? Or did you mean something else?

Galacticus
09-17-2011, 05:09 PM
This is what I think would be most effective for pvp testing:

It should be released in waves something like levels 1-5(or maybe 1-8 depending on pvp+/- level range). You would not be able to level past 5 for two days so that people could have time to actually fight against eachother instead of focusing on leveling.
Then on the third day everyone who isnt 5 already is boosted to level 6. Then for two days its levels 6-10,11-15,16-20... It continues to 50 or 55 or whatever. This tests all of the levels and promotes pvp which is what we want to really test.

If you start halfway through the process, you cant make a level 1. You would be forced to make whatever wave they are in.

I think this would promote the most pvp.

You can easily adjust the time between level brackets from 1 day each bracket to 1 week depending on how fast testing results can be analyzed and delt with, maybe there will be few bugs....

greatdane
09-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Could you elaborate?

According to bug posts, bolt spells are all kinds of messed up on p99. They miss half the time, and if you start casting another spell before the bolt physically reaches the target, it disappears. I guess mages make it work since it's a blue server and there's much more leeway like that, but on a PvP server, you can't just wait until your bolt spell resolves before you begin casting, or make sure you're always exactly on the same horizontal level as your target. That'll cause big problems in PvP.

It should be released in waves something like levels 1-5(or maybe 1-8 depending on pvp+/- level range). You would not be able to level past 5 for two days so that people could have time to actually fight against eachother instead of focusing on leveling.
Then on the third day everyone who isnt 5 already is boosted to level 6. Then for two days its levels 6-10,11-15,16-20... It continues to 50 or 55 or whatever. This tests all of the levels and promotes pvp which is what we want to really test.

If you start halfway through the process, you cant make a level 1. You would be forced to make whatever wave they are in.

I think this would promote the most pvp.

You can easily adjust the time between level brackets from 1 day each bracket to 1 week depending on how fast testing results can be analyzed and delt with, maybe there will be few bugs....

Beta will take forever that way.

Amuk
09-17-2011, 05:37 PM
!level 50 command and summon items enabled, then pvp for a few weeks, then release IMO.

Amuk
09-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Content is good noone cares about the possible fire beetle leg quest mistake.

mimixownzall
09-17-2011, 06:25 PM

Yeah, I would expect nothing less from you Harrison. You are too yellow to show up on the server, so you take the juvenile route and steal names. Pretty brave. I bet you vote democrat too.

Harrison
09-17-2011, 06:43 PM
According to bug posts, bolt spells are all kinds of messed up on p99. They miss half the time, and if you start casting another spell before the bolt physically reaches the target, it disappears. I guess mages make it work since it's a blue server and there's much more leeway like that, but on a PvP server, you can't just wait until your bolt spell resolves before you begin casting, or make sure you're always exactly on the same horizontal level as your target. That'll cause big problems in PvP.

Beta will take forever that way.

This is a huge bug. Bolts also take FUCKING FOREVER to get to the target sometimes.

Doors
09-17-2011, 08:27 PM
All I care about is some kind of balanced resist system.

Titanuk
09-17-2011, 09:12 PM
i will follow Tilly into battle

Hobby
09-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Resists definately the major problem. Thank god for nilbog!

greatdane
09-17-2011, 09:25 PM
It shouldn't take too long to get a close-enough resist system established. The general milestones were always well-known, and plenty of testing has already been done. It's not as if resists are completely screwed up on p99, it probably just takes a little extra fine-tuning to get everything smoothed out for PvP. It's the kind of thing that's super easy to do heavy tests with.

mimixownzall
09-17-2011, 09:43 PM
I want to know if they are going to stick to classic as close as possible? Are they going to try to make CC spells viable or are they going to be like on live back in the day (100-ish MR and it was almost impossible to land them)? If they make it viable I'm gonna make a paladin or ranger and lolrape.

greatdane
09-17-2011, 10:03 PM
I want to know if they are going to stick to classic as close as possible? Are they going to try to make CC spells viable or are they going to be like on live back in the day (100-ish MR and it was almost impossible to land them)? If they make it viable I'm gonna make a paladin or ranger and lolrape.

I'm pretty sure they're sticking to the classic mechanics for anything that directly affects combat. The safe assumption is that the only things they'd consider changing are the things Rogean made sticky discussions about.

Yukahwa
09-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Live resists were pretty fair on rallos zek. Maybe that is why melee players are so worried about getting killed by casters. VZTZ resists maybe were really wacked?