PDA

View Full Version : thinking about rolling a warrior

Crunksta
09-20-2011, 06:21 PM
So every rpg I have ever played, I have always played a warrior type class. I rolled a necro on here a couple weeks ago, and I love it. But I am getting the same yearning that I always do; to make a big a$$ smasher and go smash shit.

I am thinking ogre(duh!), but I'm not sure where to spend my starting points. Back on live, I dumped it all into str/stam. I know it wont be easy to cap stam still, especially starting from the position I am in. But I am leaning towards dex/agi this time since those will be even harder to raise later on, and ogres already have high str/stam.

My other question is; will it be pretty much impossible to find groups as a warrior? Is there a lack or need for warriors on here?

Ihealyou
09-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Dex is important since lots of your aggro will come from weapon procs. I've heard that over 100 dex is what you want to shoot for to get a decent number of procs. The effect agi has on your ac is pretty small, so it might be better to put those points into sta or something else. As far as groups go, my warrior never had much trouble finding one, but I haven't played him in a while so your mileage may vary.

Messianic
09-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Most people are going to say to max sta. That's probably the best long-term choice, provided you're at 75 agi.

But honestly, it's not going to make a huge diff.

mitic
09-20-2011, 06:55 PM
My other question is; will it be pretty much impossible to find groups as a warrior? Is there a lack or need for warriors on here?

As a tank u dont find groups, you form them.

citizen1080
09-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Personally I would dump it all into dex as a ogre. Your aggro is totally based on weapon procs and if you dump your points elsewhere your just gonna have to swap out nice sta/str gear for your shitty dex gear set so you can hold aggro.

Snaggles
09-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I've always been a stamina/hps/ac hound once the 75 agil is achieved.

Not a big believer in dex over those. If you follow that logic why would people pick an Ogre over a Halfling?

vageta31
09-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Not a big believer in dex over those. If you follow that logic why would people pick an Ogre over a Halfling?

Because Ogre's get more starting sta than a halfing can achieve dumping all of his points into it. Oh and the whole non frontal stun issue too.

aresprophet
09-20-2011, 08:05 PM

The amount of damage you gain from increasing STR is not insignificant, but in terms of aggro generation its very small. STR is good to have, but not all that important.

STA, HP, and AC are of course necessary... but your job is to take hits and if you cant hold aggro it doesnt matter how tough you are. DEX is still a priority stat any time you can pair it with decent AC.

Ogre frontal stun immunity isn't as big for warriors as it is for SKs and shamans, but it's still the best race stat-wise. If you don't want to deal with the faction or size issues go Dwarf, the STR/STA drop isn't enough to make or break the class. But the penalties for going Ogre are more than made up for by the benefits. If you can get a Cobalt Bracer you ameliorate the biggest downside of being a fatass.

Edit: oh and Slam is huge. Huge. So huge.

Snaggles
09-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Because Ogre's get more starting sta than a halfing can achieve dumping all of his points into it. Oh and the whole non frontal stun issue too.

Very good points even tho it was mostly rhetorical.

Kevlar
09-21-2011, 07:15 AM
I am surprised so many EQ "vets" are hung up on starting stats and race. Play what you like. Play what looks good. Front stun immune and slam do not make or break the class. Slam and bash cycle so slowly it is trivial to swap a shield in your offhand, just keep it on your cursor. Stun immune means very little to a non caster. Dump all your starting stats in charisma. It won't matter at 60 when you are raid buffed.

If anything the "best" warrior would be a halfling since you will level a lot faster than any ogre or troll.

mitic
09-21-2011, 07:42 AM
I am surprised so many EQ "vets" are hung up on starting stats and race. Play what you like. Play what looks good. Front stun immune and slam do not make or break the class. Slam and bash cycle so slowly it is trivial to swap a shield in your offhand, just keep it on your cursor. Stun immune means very little to a non caster. Dump all your starting stats in charisma. It won't matter at 60 when you are raid buffed.

partially correct

as a war u dont have the aggro utility spells like disease cloud (sk) or stun/blind spells (pal) so the stun immunity is, to some degree, important to hold aggro without the loss of dps while your attacks a paused when stuned.

yea, there is also the taunt button and what not but every added hate generator helps

and thats also the reason why ppl usualy dont go gnome/elf/human.. war besides the (much lower) STR and STA stats.

Crunksta
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM

If anything the "best" warrior would be a halfling since you will level a lot faster than any ogre or troll.

Never said I was a "vet" bro brah. However, I haven't played this game in for god damn ever; that's why I'm getting hung up on starting stats. I'm playing ogre, because that IS what I like. I am trying to min/max as much as I can so I can have better stats while I level to 60. And chances are, I won't be raiding much at 60.

Thanks anyways.

Thanks to everyone so far who has offered advice.

Juugox2
09-21-2011, 08:55 AM
if they actually make it so endurance is used in combat AGI will actually do something since it is endurance and ac

i can see it happening to with all the "classic" changes lately so be rdy

but yea if your going barb troll or ogre id stick with dex since you def need dex for procs and your str and sta will already be high anyway

and yes i know end wasnt even in classic but i guess pretty much considered your stam overall

Snaggles
09-21-2011, 10:01 AM
As mentioned in the end it won't really matter. You can be a guild's main tank as a gnome warrior...easy. A dwarf's stats are amazing for no exp hit.

Go with the look. It's unlikely the rest will matter. It's not like being a woodelf warrior will earn you Ranger hate :p.

Juugox2
09-21-2011, 11:04 AM
yea but takes long time to get 60 and not everyone is planing to rush there

and with no gear it def helps out at the start esp if your soloing but yea in the long run it doesnt matter.

Snaggles
09-21-2011, 11:26 AM
You could also level a Mage up just to the point of affording bronze and some decent cheap weapons. Leveling a naked warrior with a starter sword has got to be an record breaker in pain and suffering.

It's been done. Many of us were there,

Nirgon
09-21-2011, 11:48 AM
dex gives more crits son

If you think being able to interrupt casting is stupid, you're stupid.

Large races win.

Juugox2
09-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Slam and bash cycle so slowly it is trivial to swap a shield in your offhand .

what do you mean swap a shield out you do know slam works with no shield and just weapons ... lol your confusing me

Juugox2
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
and try taking on 2 healers and no one can interrupt i mean if you got dps it dies quick enough but if not slam def comes in handy

Kevlar
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
what do you mean swap a shield out you do know slam works with no shield and just weapons ... lol your confusing me

Yes I know how slam works. You know you can hold a shield on your mouse cursor and have your offhand slot on your hotbar? Small races can bash just like a large race can slam with a simple extra mouse click. Slam is not much of an advantage. If you are spamming it for dps kick is just as effective anyway. For interrupts a small race just swaps out offhand for it.

kobexbloo
09-21-2011, 12:38 PM
After making 7 warriors, and leveling them to 20 (some far past 20), I can say definitively that putting all your points into DEX as an OGRE is the best warrior out there.

Things I tried:

Barb +25 into STR
---(lots of dps, more than double everybody in group)
Woodelf +25 into STR
---(always encumbered, not high dps)
Woodelf +25 into STA
---(always encumbered, not high dps, not high HP*)
Dwarf +25 into STR
---(lots of dps, no slam)
Dwarf +25 into DEX
---(lots of crips**, no slam, always encumbered)
Ogre +15 into DEX +10 into AGI
---(more dps than my original barb war with all points into STR)
Ogre十 +25 into DEX
---(lots of crips, lots of dps, lots of procs, lots of hp)

The problem is going to be being encumbered, especially if you are a weapon proc whore like I am. Save up enough money for a Tinkerer Bag, if you are gonna roll anything other than an Ogre. To be fair, I was moderately well equipped (FBSS, Wurmslayer, Lamentation, etc...)

*I found out at level 60, you only gain 6 HP per stamina, which is bullcrap, given that 25 points into STA is only 150 hp at level 60!.
**From personal experience, DEX seems to modify crippling blows, but not critical hits, I am not sure why, I have even looked through the code.
十The biggest drawback from being an ogre is being so hideous, I can't stand to really look at my toon, they are also huge and don't fit nicely into dungeons unless you have a shaman or some shrink potions.

Rhaj
09-21-2011, 01:03 PM
After making 7 warriors, and leveling them to 20 (some far past 20), I can say definitively that putting all your points into DEX as an OGRE is the best warrior out there.

Things I tried:

Barb +25 into STR
---(lots of dps, more than double everybody in group)
Woodelf +25 into STR
---(always encumbered, not high dps)
Woodelf +25 into STA
---(always encumbered, not high dps, not high HP*)
Dwarf +25 into STR
---(lots of dps, no slam)
Dwarf +25 into DEX
---(lots of crips**, no slam, always encumbered)
Ogre +15 into DEX +10 into AGI
---(more dps than my original barb war with all points into STR)
Ogre十 +25 into DEX
---(lots of crips, lots of dps, lots of procs, lots of hp)

The problem is going to be being encumbered, especially if you are a weapon proc whore like I am. Save up enough money for a Tinkerer Bag, if you are gonna roll anything other than an Ogre. To be fair, I was moderately well equipped (FBSS, Wurmslayer, Lamentation, etc...)

*I found out at level 60, you only gain 6 HP per stamina, which is bullcrap, given that 25 points into STA is only 150 hp at level 60!.
**From personal experience, DEX seems to modify crippling blows, but not critical hits, I am not sure why, I have even looked through the code.
十The biggest drawback from being an ogre is being so hideous, I can't stand to really look at my toon, they are also huge and don't fit nicely into dungeons unless you have a shaman or some shrink potions.

I guess I am going to reroll my Iksar and put all 25 into dex. Man I just got him to level 4 too.. lol

Juugox2
09-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Yes I know how slam works. You know you can hold a shield on your mouse cursor and have your offhand slot on your hotbar? Small races can bash just like a large race can slam with a simple extra mouse click. Slam is not much of an advantage. If you are spamming it for dps kick is just as effective anyway. For interrupts a small race just swaps out offhand for it.

lol that seems like it would be annoying compared to just pressing a button and who uses slam for dps? usually just use it to stop a healer

plus slam is nice for classes that dont have kick etc i know i like having slam as a shaman but i see your point in all and all really doesnt matter just go with what you like

Kevlar
09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
lol that seems like it would be annoying compared to just pressing a button and who uses slam for dps? usually just use it to stop a healer

plus slam is nice for classes that dont have kick etc i know i like having slam as a shaman but i see your point in all and all really doesnt matter just go with what you like

If you don't like hot swapping then you might not want to play a war. Swapping out proc weapons or switching out to a 2h are pretty much required since that is the only way you can "cast" stuff. For instance you might need to land a slow proc to start the fight, then switch to your dd/stun for aggro, swap in a shield for bashes to interrupt, and swap over to snare whip before the mob starts fleeing.

And if you think that is tough then never roll a bard.

Samoht
09-21-2011, 02:47 PM
+25 into STR

lost all credibility.

if you're focusing on the end-game, STA is the only stat to raise. that's true for almost every class as it is very likely that when you're raid geared and buffed, your only stat that doesn't cap will be STA. if you're raiding in velius and you get primal (or a shaman with avatar), it's even more likely. for a tank or melee dps, the stats that matter are str/sta/dex/agi. for a caster, the stats are wis/int and sta. of all of those, the least likely to cap is always STA, so STA should always get the most points possible dumped into it at start.

for large races, bash isn't the only thing to consider - size matters. getting through doors sucks and evil faction is sometimes hard to work with. it's going to suck trying to trade in EC when you're closest bank is grobb or neriak. barb is probably the best if you want a neutral large race, but ogres that worship rallos zek are the only class/diety combination not KOS to giants in velius by default - something to consider.

personally, i picked halfling. why? sneak/hide. i can use any vendor in the game with an indiff con as long as i can safely position myself behind them. i can duck away from trains easy without having to cast invis or blow a potion. my STR sucks and being in a dungeon too long means i will be encumbered, but i've been working on obtaining str/dex gear in addition to hp stuff. i have well over 120 dex at level 25 on my first character on this server. sometimes i wish i had rolled a dwarf instead, though, because they have higher str and sta in addition to the high dex, but end-game, i think that the sneak/hide might be more worth it.

damned for sure made my rogue a dorf, tho :P (all his points went into STA, too)

Kevlar
09-21-2011, 02:53 PM
lost all credibility.

To be fair, he said he only played them to lvl 20, so he didn't have any to begin with. Level 50 is probably the minimum you should play a character to before you give any advice. I played a war to 50 at release, when dual wielding langseax was cool, and I recently played one to 50 on Fippy Darkpaw from scratch. Both were barbies. Not for slam, but just because I like how they look in plate.

Knuckle
09-21-2011, 03:05 PM
lost all credibility.

if you're focusing on the end-game, STA is the only stat to raise. that's true for almost every class as it is very likely that when you're raid geared and buffed, your only stat that doesn't cap will be STA. if you're raiding in velius and you get primal (or a shaman with avatar), it's even more likely. for a tank or melee dps, the stats that matter are str/sta/dex/agi. for a caster, the stats are wis/int and sta. of all of those, the least likely to cap is always STA, so STA should always get the most points possible dumped into it at start.

for large races, bash isn't the only thing to consider - size matters. getting through doors sucks and evil faction is sometimes hard to work with. it's going to suck trying to trade in EC when you're closest bank is grobb or neriak. barb is probably the best if you want a neutral large race, but ogres that worship rallos zek are the only class/diety combination not KOS to giants in velius by default - something to consider.

personally, i picked halfling. why? sneak/hide. i can use any vendor in the game with an indiff con as long as i can safely position myself behind them. i can duck away from trains easy without having to cast invis or blow a potion. my STR sucks and being in a dungeon too long means i will be encumbered, but i've been working on obtaining str/dex gear in addition to hp stuff. i have well over 120 dex at level 25 on my first character on this server. sometimes i wish i had rolled a dwarf instead, though, because they have higher str and sta in addition to the high dex, but end-game, i think that the sneak/hide might be more worth it.

damned for sure made my rogue a dorf, tho :P (all his points went into STA, too)

i noticed that the only characters that could complete raid content had 25 points higher into stamina than the other players must be why

pickled_heretic
09-21-2011, 03:09 PM
lost all credibility.

you're saying that on one hand the only thing that matters is endgame stamina while admitting on the other hand that factors other than endgame stamina play a role in character creation.

orwell had a term for this, he called it doublespeak

Samoht
09-21-2011, 03:16 PM
you're saying that on one hand the only thing that matters is stamina while admitting on the other hand that factors other than stamina play a role in character selection.

orwell had a term for this, he called it doublespeak

i can't tell if you're just a flamer or trying to refute what i said. you didn't offer any evidence, so flamer it is.

but what i said is that stamina is the stat to raise since the rest will be capped end-game. i clearly state that if you're a min/maxer, the only stat to raise is STA the comparison to other stats was to highlight that that applied equally to both casters and tanks/melee.

if you don't have any intention on raiding or end-game comment, put them wherever you please. you could max the int on your wood elf warrior and practically noone would know the difference in crushbone.

pickled_heretic
09-21-2011, 03:20 PM
i can't tell if you're just a flamer or trying to refute what i said. you didn't offer any evidence, so flamer it is.

but what i said is that stamina is the stat to raise since the rest will be capped end-game. i clearly state that if you're a min/maxer, the only stat to raise is STA.

if you don't have any intention on raiding or end-game comment, put them wherever you please. you could max the int on your wood elf warrior and practically noone would know the difference in crushbone.

my evidence is your argument. you said "you're wrong, the only thing that matters is stamina" and then you admitted halfway through your argument that you picked a subpar race for warrior due to its pathetic stamina. being able to sneak and hide doesn't help much in raid content. even if your point about being a small race is a valid one (and it's not, because you can get shrunk any time you're in a raid if you really need it), you still could have picked a dwarf.

Samoht
09-21-2011, 03:29 PM
you didn't say that at all before, so you're a flamer that when pushed is capable of forming a coherent thought

ok

i actually do agree that dorf is the better race for base-line stats, but innate invis isn't a stat, so you're comparing apples to oranges

comparing dark elf stam to halfling stam would be a valid argument, and halfling clearly wins by 10 there, but my real decision came from sneak because i remember doing the velius ring quests on live while on giant faction. the ability to interact with any NPC in the game independent of faction is huge.

i played a dorf rogue on live, and that's what i made my comparison too when starting. they get sneak at level 1, so it's a non-factor.

Samoht
09-21-2011, 03:36 PM
ac, regen, bash, sneak, hide, stun immunity, dorf roll

secondary reasons for selecting a particular race beyond the base stats clearly exist and nobody will ever argue with your selection (except flamers)

however, once you have your race selected, the stat to bump the highest will always be stamina.

Kevlar
09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Sta isn't that hard to cap either. With velious raid gear I capped the sta on my half elf bard easily.

Granted this server is still quite a ways from end game velious.

My advice for any toon is play what you enjoy. 20 extra hit points or carrying capacity are not going to make a difference in the long run. And just remember, when that ogre war is lvl 40 that halfling will be lvl 60! Debating the pros and cons of min maxing starting stats is arguing just to hear yourself talk. It will have so little bearing on how your character ends up that it really is not worth the trouble. Go to an EQ style website and focus on what really matters, the looks of that avatar you are going to be staring at for the next year or so.

pickled_heretic
09-21-2011, 03:49 PM
secondary reasons for selecting a particular race beyond the base stats clearly exist and nobody will ever refute them (except flamers)

however, once you have your race selected, the stat to bump the highest will always be stamina.

clearly if you cared about secondary reasons over stats for a warrior, everyone would pick an ogre. sneak vs immunity to stun? lol, is this even an argument?

as far as stats go: your priority should be getting your primary stats to buffed max (let's call this 160-170 unbuffed), after which, for warriors, it should be getting your AC and HP as high as possible (in that order). spending 25 points into a primary stat means you have to acquire 25 fewer points of stat gear in order to achieve your primary goal, which gives you more room to achieve the secondary goal. stamina is only useful in that it raises your HP and there are other ways to raise HP.

tl;dr: disregard stamina, acquire maxed primary stats and hp/ac as a warrior.

Samoht
09-21-2011, 03:50 PM
when that ogre war is lvl 40 that halfling will be lvl 60!

not quite true, experience required per level is not static and raises exponentially each level.

however, experience was also another factor in my selection of halfling. thank you for reminding me.

pickled_heretic
09-21-2011, 03:51 PM
not quite true, experience required per level is not static and raises exponentially each level.

however, experience was also another factor in my selection of halfling. thank you for reminding me.

yet another reason unrelated to endgame stats.

Kevlar
09-21-2011, 03:55 PM

xp you get from mobs goes up exponentially as well though. Level advancement untwinked and unpower leveled seems fairly flat to me.

Samoht
09-21-2011, 03:57 PM
as far as stats go: your priority should be getting your primary stats to buffed max (let's call this 160-170 unbuffed),

i'm pretty sure that right now, neither one of us knows what you're talking about. better tanking mitigation comes from better raw hp/ac, not str/sta/dex/agi. since stamina has better return per point in hp than agi has per point in ac, then how do you disregard stamina? putting starting points into str/agi are not going to help at all.

yet another reason unrelated to endgame stats.

flamers gonna flame

pickled_heretic
09-21-2011, 04:03 PM
points into str and dex are going to help you hit your cap faster which lets you spend gear slots on ac and hp. keeping in mind that 1 stam = 6 hp it's pretty rare to find stam gear that is more attractive than hp gear.

anyway, i'm not flaming you, i'm just pointing out that you're a hypocrite and a bad one at that.

Extunarian
09-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Level advancement untwinked and unpower leveled seems fairly flat to me.

What level are you, exactly? I'd much rather go through level 35 than 45, and every level above 50 is a small marathon.

On topic: If you're not looking at end-game raiding you'll want to make sure you have respectable dex. In xp groups you are far more likely to be hated for constantly losing agro than you will be for not being beefy enough.

Samoht
09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
it's pretty rare to find stam gear

could have stopped there. sta/HP on gear wasn't prevalent until luclin. sure there are a few choice pieces from kunark that are going to have hp, and it does get better in velius, but for the most part, gear won't ever be itemized here the way it is on live now.

point remains that for tanking or raiding in general, more health yields more survivability which ensures more tps/dps/hps, whether you can wear bronze easier at level 1 or not.

i'm done now - tired of saying the same thing over and over to a troll who has no argument except personal attacks.

anyway, i'm not flaming you, i'm just pointing out that you're a hypocrite and a bad one at that.

pot. kettle. black. flame on.

Runningfish
09-21-2011, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't put sta points into str or agi. However I do think that 150 extra hp at level 60 from those initial 25 points into sta is fairly trivial compared to the bonus that 25 more dex would give. Especially for a race like ogre/troll. So I agree with dumping as much as you can into dex and I think overall it's going to help you more on your way to 60.

pickled_heretic
09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
could have stopped there. sta/HP on gear wasn't prevalent until luclin. sure there are a few choice pieces from kunark that are going to have hp, and it does get better in velius, but for the most part, gear won't ever be itemized here the way it is on live now.

point remains that for tanking or raiding in general, more health yields more survivability which ensures more tps/dps/hps, whether you can wear bronze easier at level 1 or not.

i'm done now - tired of saying the same thing over and over to a troll who has no argument except personal attacks.

You are being completely oblivious, to the point of facetiousness. 100 hp worth of stamina is the same as 100 hp worth of hp gear, irrespective of how common the gear is. putting 25 points more into any critical stat regardless of class will allow you to pursue gear of this nature with more free slots.

pot. kettle. black. flame on.

Please explain clearly and in complete sentences how I am being hypocritical.

Samoht
09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
at 60, though, sta could very easily be the only stat not maxed out, especially considering buffs like harnessing of spirit or avatar (in velius). stats anywhere else would be wasted.

troll on ignore (http://www.project1999.org/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=4616)

kobexbloo
09-21-2011, 04:22 PM
1 sta = 6 hp. Dex raises proc, which raises threat. Keep your friends alive to keep you alive.

100 DEX = 1 proc/min Mainhand, 0.5 proc/min Offhand.

Anything below 75 is punished, similarly to how AGI is also punished below 75.

Ogre frontal stun immunity is extremely helpful, since it lets you continue to proc while other warriors would be stunned.

You could probably see, that my evolution of warriors was based on what I thought the previous one lacked, I figured I could show what I did without having to draw a diagram.

Thanks for playing.

Samoht
09-21-2011, 04:23 PM
dex passed cap doesn't raise anything. you'll never cap sta in p99

pickled_heretic
09-21-2011, 04:26 PM
troll on ignore (http://www.project1999.org/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=4616)

it's sad what modern education is doing to today's youth.

tl;dr: pick what race or class you want, and put points into whatever you want, keeping in mind that stamina has a small effect on hp, str has a small effect on dps and allows you to carry more, and dex has a significant effect on both dps and aggro.

kobexbloo
09-21-2011, 04:30 PM
dex passed cap doesn't raise anything. you'll never cap sta in p99

Alright, what's your point? So, to you it's more important to be the last one standing with a ton of HP?

Samoht
09-21-2011, 04:33 PM
that's the point of tanking isn't it, though?

kobexbloo
09-21-2011, 04:33 PM
that's the point of tanking isn't it, though?

No, in my experience you have to proc frequently to get things off of people who can keep you alive.

Samoht
09-21-2011, 04:44 PM
how much more do you expect to proc with 255 dex compared to 255 dex?

even if you selected ogre/barb for your starting race and had 70 dex, focus would add 67, and once you have avatar for +100 to str/agi/dex, you would max out your potential dex by only getting 18 from gear. anything above 88 unbuffed would have diminishing returns. we would never expect to have 100% up time on avatar, especially pre-velius, so having gear provide dex above that isn't inherently bad, but putting starting points in it is a waste when it's so easy to buff.

hp has no caps, though.

did you raid on live? you play off 150 hp as negligible but it's not. squeezing as much hp possible out of gear was always the goal pre-POP.

Kevlar
09-21-2011, 06:20 PM
What level are you, exactly? I'd much rather go through level 35 than 45, and every level above 50 is a small marathon.

Hell levels are irrelevant to the way xp works. Sure it takes 3x as long to get through 45 as it does 44, but it does so for everyone. It is basically a way they used to slow the game down.

From launch on live I have 3 accounts that I multiboxed with. 70sk, 70 bard, 70 druid, 70 chanter, 65 cleric, 55 war.

When I started playing again I boxed a 48 war/sham/cleric on Fippy, the latest progression server. Here I have a 45 druid.

Rhaj
09-21-2011, 06:28 PM
So is the consensus to put it all in DEX or STA?

Snaggles
09-21-2011, 06:28 PM
It's amazing how easily you will pick up str and dex on standard armor whether it's bought in EC or raided for. The idea of staying at 75 dex is just silly as a big race. Realistically even an ogre is going to be in the low mid 100's before buffs if they NEVER put a point in it at creation.

Meanwhile capping stamina is a problem but not a bad one. Unbuffed you have more hps to start. You can ditch +stam items for +hp ones easier. You can ditch stam gear for resist stuff for some fights. Shorties have less options.

Of the two, Dex and Stamina only one is noticeably different. You can hit "I" and look at your friggin hitpoints. The other is like having your dice kissed by some floozy at a craps table in Vegas...

Yay go dex! lucky number 7! I think it's proccing more baby!

So is the consensus to put it all in DEX or STA?

There will never be a consensus. This is Everquest. :p

pickled_heretic
09-21-2011, 08:28 PM
It's amazing how easily you will pick up str and dex on standard armor whether it's bought in EC or raided for. The idea of staying at 75 dex is just silly as a big race. Realistically even an ogre is going to be in the low mid 100's before buffs if they NEVER put a point in it at creation.

Meanwhile capping stamina is a problem but not a bad one. Unbuffed you have more hps to start. You can ditch +stam items for +hp ones easier. You can ditch stam gear for resist stuff for some fights. Shorties have less options.

Of the two, Dex and Stamina only one is noticeably different. You can hit "I" and look at your friggin hitpoints. The other is like having your dice kissed by some floozy at a craps table in Vegas...

Yay go dex! lucky number 7! I think it's proccing more baby!

There will never be a consensus. This is Everquest. :p

rotating weapons for procs etc. is about the only interesting thing to do on a pure melee. your mileage may vary but imo dex is way more fun than stam. and in any case there's not a significant difference either way.