PDA

View Full Version : What Class Did you Like Having Around in Live, But Can't Stand on P99

Lagaidh
09-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I got along with most folks from most classes in live. Usually, it was a matter of interpersonal ability. However, thinking on some of my p99 experiences I realized there was one class I always welcomed into a group or event during live that I normally do not have good experiences with here on p99.

Bards.

I loved a good bard in my group in live. As with live, a well played bard is always a boon! However, on p99, almost every bard my wife and I have personally met has been due to one smacking one of our in-progress pulls in open zones for AoE kiting.

I know that the plural of "anectdote" is not "data", but man, all but one bard in this scenario acted like I should be prepared for the eventuality of a kiting bard taking a pull now and again.

Hmm.

Wondered. Is there a class here that you can think of that just attracts a different kind of player than it did in live?

(As an inverse, I never cared for Iksar Monks in live. The race/class seemed to attract the youngest players: Ew kewl martial arts! Ew kewl lizard dude! The IKS MNK I've met here have all been fine.)

Doors
09-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Rangers.

Lagaidh
09-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Hehe. I lovem in live and here. Always. Ranger + Paladin = fun times.

Dr4z3r
09-27-2011, 01:34 PM
So, you say you liked having bards in a group on Live, but then say that the extent of your P99 intrecations with them is almost exclusively while they're solo-kiting.

You should try grouping with bards!

Kevlar
09-27-2011, 01:45 PM
More people than you know are fed up with them. On live it wasn't really an issue because reverse-charm kiting was so much faster. Its a shame it doesn't work here, instead of needing 40+ mobs they only needed 10 or so, and could kill them in a few seconds so the mobs could respawn. Hogging a zone full of mobs for an hour is something unique to this server.

On live it was always the necros that bugged me though. Every good loot camp is being soloed by a necro. You won't have to worry about bards at the bottom of Old Sebilis or Chardok. But those darn necros and mages will be there hogging all the nice drops.

Kope
09-27-2011, 01:51 PM
On live it was always the necros that bugged me though. Every good loot camp is being soloed by a necro. You won't have to worry about bards at the bottom of Old Sebilis or Chardok. But those darn necros and mages will be there hogging all the nice drops.

True, and I SO had necro envy on live. I never really had any good grouping necros, they were always soloing.

I've had some GREAT necro groupers here and dang can they ever bring a ton to a group!

Lagaidh
09-27-2011, 01:56 PM
So, you say you liked having bards in a group on Live, but then say that the extent of your P99 intrecations with them is almost exclusively while they're solo-kiting.

You should try grouping with bards!

Yeah fair. I guess it's worth mentioning (moving goalposts I guess) that random encounters with bards in live wasn't like here.

Lagaidh
09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I've had some GREAT necro groupers here and dang can they ever bring a ton to a group!

I think this is true of almost any class. Folks that pidgeon-hole a class while playing EfficiencyQuest may scoff at that sentiment.

It's the player. Not the race/class. I know the races and classes aren't balanced and some have obvious advantages and disadvantages, but... if you give any good player a chance... that player will bring a lot to a group.

Always.

pickled_heretic
09-27-2011, 02:17 PM
i played a necro on live, most people were resentful of a necro's great soloing ability and never gave them a chance to prove themselves in a group. things are different in p1999, most people have a basic understanding of how all classes work in a group environment.

CHusk2
09-27-2011, 04:15 PM
I had an Erudite Paladin on live as my first main. I don't think I ever saw another one over level 10, though I have seen one here on p99..... just one.

TheBlackSheep
09-27-2011, 05:56 PM
I started out with an Erudite paladin on release day. I got lost in the forest at night because I couldn't see and got killed by the poachers. I must have died an additional 15 times just trying to find my corpses. So I got pissed and logged out.

That night a friend (who rolled up a human ranger, hah!) told me that half-elves could see at night, but at that point I had rolled up a DE necromancer and was having a blast. I ended up making him my main to 50 before Kunark. It wasn't until later that I rolled up a half-elf paladin on a whim and ended up playing him to 47. One night in Sol B waiting for a rez it occurred to me that playing a hybrid paladin really sucked, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and my usefulness was determined by my LoH being available for the main tank and my ability to take one for the team to buy enough time for the cleric to log out in the event of an impending wipe. I looted my corpse, logged out, rolled a DE rogue and played him to 60. Never playing the paladin again.

So, the moral of this drivel - paladins annoy me, both back in Live and now in P99.

Azorath

Felwithemagi
09-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Most bards here in a static group play 1 song/afk the whole time, so I don't find them to be particularly beneficial. But then again I play a mage and I spend a lot of time meditating too. Anyone who can help the group who is actually paying attention is welcome in my groups.

Savok
09-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Personally I can't stand AE kiting 50 mobs for an hour (plus I'm not very good at it). In groups I'm more than happy to twist 3 or 4 songs, cover CC and/or fill out a needed role - just send a tell.

mimixownzall
09-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Hybrids.

On live I was ignorant to the group exp penalty.

Lagaidh
09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I started out with an Erudite paladin on release day. I got lost in the forest at night because I couldn't see and got killed by the poachers. I must have died an additional 15 times just trying to find my corpses. So I got pissed and logged out.

That night a friend (who rolled up a human ranger, hah!) told me that half-elves could see at night, but at that point I had rolled up a DE necromancer and was having a blast. I ended up making him my main to 50 before Kunark. It wasn't until later that I rolled up a half-elf paladin on a whim and ended up playing him to 47. One night in Sol B waiting for a rez it occurred to me that playing a hybrid paladin really sucked, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and my usefulness was determined by my LoH being available for the main tank and my ability to take one for the team to buy enough time for the cleric to log out in the event of an impending wipe. I looted my corpse, logged out, rolled a DE rogue and played him to 60. Never playing the paladin again.

So, the moral of this drivel - paladins annoy me, both back in Live and now in P99.

Azorath

Yikes! That was funny.

Webwolf
09-28-2011, 05:51 PM
It wasn't until later that I rolled up a half-elf paladin on a whim and ended up playing him to 47. One night in Sol B waiting for a rez it occurred to me that playing a hybrid paladin really sucked, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and my usefulness was determined by my LoH being available for the main tank and my ability to take one for the team to buy enough time for the cleric to log out in the event of an impending wipe.

Azorath

That only proves that you sucked as a paladin, I realize we are one of the hardest classes to master and that is why you see so many bad paladins out there. On the class description it should be a warning: DON'T PICK THIS CLASS IF YOU ARE STUPID.

Netherzul
09-28-2011, 06:52 PM
My opinion may be slightly biased...but anyhow...

On live, I really was indifferent to Wizards, seeing their only real use was ports...

Since I've leveled so many different characters to the 50's on this server, I have had opportunities to group with good Wizards on more than one occasion and I must say, one played right can really bring killing power to a group. If paired with an Enchanter, they can finish off every other mob at 25% health...or burn down a few unwanted adds extremely fast.

They still may not be on a level of Rogue or Monk DPS, but their DPS is completely controlled dps and they can let loose on a named or extra add and completely surprise you with their killing speed. I feel they are totally underestimated on P99 sadly.

TheBlackSheep
09-28-2011, 07:30 PM
That only proves that you sucked as a paladin, I realize we are one of the hardest classes to master and that is why you see so many bad paladins out there. On the class description it should be a warning: DON'T PICK THIS CLASS IF YOU ARE STUPID.

I'm far from stupid, but I will fully admit that I totally sucked at playing a paladin, mainly because I never really had any fun. I kept playing him thinking "oh, it will get better next level...". After 47 levels of that, I just had enough. I never got into it enough to be good at it.

Of course, I was somewhat spoiled, my main being a Necromancer that could solo in Fear.

But the fact is, paladins annoy me is because you're right, they are a challenge to play, and I haven't really run with someone who fully grasped the class, specifically in the role they play, and they were kind of a waste of a group slot.

Azorath

Webwolf
09-28-2011, 08:32 PM
But the fact is, paladins annoy me is because you're right, they are a challenge to play, and I haven't really run with someone who fully grasped the class, specifically in the role they play, and they were kind of a waste of a group slot.

Azorath

Send me a tell the next time you need a tank and I'll show you how it's done. :cool:

TheBlackSheep
09-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Send me a tell the next time you need a tank and I'll show you how it's done. :cool:

I'm just now coming up, but I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point. Be glad to have a real paladin helping keep my black-robed-wearing ass alive.

Azorath

georgie
09-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Personally I can't stand AE kiting 50 mobs for an hour (plus I'm not very good at it). In groups I'm more than happy to twist 3 or 4 songs, cover CC and/or fill out a needed role - just send a tell.

sounds like a bard that never caught on.. its ok not everyone is cut out for it