PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: line of sight issues

Darwoth
09-29-2011, 01:08 PM
if i am standing with my feet on one side of a hill with the mob on the other it is frequently not possible to finish the cast, likewise if starting a cast and a mob goes over a hill, turns a corner or walks behind a pillar etc it will not finish either.

i know this is not classic as there was no line of sight requirements at all for casting back then, if line of sight requirements are going to be left in there needs to be some tweaking done to them as it is annoying enough when killing mobs and will be doubly so when folks start jumping over the crest of a hill to interrupt a spellcast.

Banai
09-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I always remembered this being as it was in classic? Same with trees etc, that you could use them for LoS in pvp.. But maybe im imagining things!

Darwoth
09-29-2011, 01:50 PM
I always remembered this being as it was in classic? Same with trees etc, that you could use them for LoS in pvp.. But maybe im imagining things!

we used to bankgank people through walls (walls, not doors) in neriak and gfay, solb was a deathtrap because mages would be 3 tunnels over using pet assist to target and blasting folks through the walls.

dont remember ever having an issue with los and mobs back then but cant speak for certain as it doesnt really stand out, its possible it was just a pvp thing among players but dont think it was.

either way there is definitely a discrepency with the way los works on the beta and how it did on the sony servers even after they added los checks, it seems like here line of sight is being measured from the bottom of the character rather than the top where the players view is.

Pudge
09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
line of sight for casting... should be from where your HEAD is, not your feet. i remember being tall was good for casting shit because of this

ex: in hate on the way to innoruk, going up the ramp in his house, where like 5 mobs stand at the top.. if you're an ogre you could "peek" up at the mobs and cast on them. but if human you would get agro before you got los to cast

Crenshinabon
09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
It was odd because I remember some things causing los issues and some thigs did not. I remember my enchanter in classic in highkeep could stand a floor above someone and cast on them, but I also remember people losing me on hills and shit. Can't really remember the timeframes.

Arillious
09-29-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm seeing similar issues with LoS where I cannot complete a cast because a player or NPC goes over a small hill(I can still see them).

meatspin
10-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Looking directly at a mob, only slightly down hill from it, not even a foot or 2 lower then it, pings the LoS check. You basicly have to be dead even on the same ground as the mob to cast on it. If it is slightly uphill or downhill from you, it flags it as not in your LoS. This makes it VERY difficult, if not nearly impossible, to play a caster due to every single zone having hills. I will be staring directly at a mob in this situation, cast my spell (mob is still in the same spot), and right as the spell is about to go off, I get the "target is not in sight". This cannot be seriously working as intended, can it? :confused:

this is def new after the patch. I was kiting in oasis last night and couldn't cast on anything when I was on a hill, I thought the mobs might have just been ghosting and actually out of range, but then they wacked me. I could only starting casting on something when being FLAT with them on land, any height distance would give me you cant see target message ...