PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Melee misses and damage.

Kraz
09-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I have been watching this closely over that last few days. The issues are that i'm missing on greens like level 1 mobs. I am a 23 ogre SK. also if im not missing im hitting for 4 damage with a 14 damage weapon... my skill is maxed. this should not be happening. I cant even fucking hurt anything. please make hit chance scalable for levels and they are lower I should be hitting them max and more often but that's the the case. also i should be be hitting level 1 or whatever lower level for 4 damage with a 14 damage weapon. I can get screenies np if you care about this thread let me know in game kraz is my name.

Lazortag
09-30-2011, 04:16 PM
This isn't pvp-related and it's also probably not a bug. This is actually getting ridiculous, you vztz players know they don't just change things without evidence right? This is a classic server, not vztz 6.0 or whatever.

Galacticus
10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
This isn't pvp-related and it's also probably not a bug. This is actually getting ridiculous, you vztz players know they don't just change things without evidence right? This is a classic server, not vztz 6.0 or whatever.

This is specifically related to this server because this shit isnt happening on p99. It greatly effects pvp. I like how you just assume shit before knowing, what a waste of a post.

Kraz is right. I am playing a SK human with my two friends Ranger and a Shaman. We are all level 22/23. The ranger and I are having the same problem.

At level 6 I bought a Bastard Sword. 8/39 for 12 plat from a vendor - Screaming mace which is supposed to be pretty bad ass weapon in classic is only 8/35. At level 6 I was hitting for 1-16 damage. Light blue mobs and green mobs I would tend to hit for max damage, but mostly under 10. Anything I could level off of decently, blue or white or yellow, I would rarely hit for the full 16 damage.

I am level 22 now and nothing has changed except the amount of hp mobs have and my skill in 1h slashing is maxed up at like 110 or something like that.

There is no way at 22, I should be doing the same damage as I did with a skill of 30 in 1h slashing at level 6 with the same weapon.

The only reason the ranger and I leveled this far is because of our shaman buddy. The ranger and I will go after dark blue cons with this kind of damage output:

Miss
Miss
3 damage
Miss
10 damage
1 damage
Miss
16 damage
4 damage
Miss

Same thing goes for my ranger friend.

Hitting a Blue con wooly mammoth that doubles for 45 for this kind of dps is a joke. A good measurment of how much damage I should be doing is ususally relative to how hard the even con mob hits.

Our shaman goes oom healing us because our dps is so bad. We thought the higher we got our damage would go up and scale like it does on live or on p99 or maybe when we past the level 20 damage cap but its not happening. We are at the point now where the shaman just nukes shit while we snare it and beat it up while it chases us.

We are finding out now after testing that the shaman can solo most blue or even shit without us and spend less mana then solely slowing and healing us since our dps is messed up.

Extunarian
10-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Unless you're sitting at like 200+ str, you won't begin to see a damage bonus until level 28. You'll be hittig for 2xdmg until then

Mammoths are level 22-26...and a lot of how well you hit something depends highly on level difference. If you went after 16-20 mobs I bet you'd see a much better damage log.

Low levels just suck :(

Softcore PK
10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I was under the impression that the pve side of things was the exact same code for Red and Blue99.

Nirgon
10-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Okay great, you reported it. They can parse it and decide.

Galacticus
10-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Unless you're sitting at like 200+ str, you won't begin to see a damage bonus until level 28. You'll be hittig for 2xdmg until then

Mammoths are level 22-26...and a lot of how well you hit something depends highly on level difference. If you went after 16-20 mobs I bet you'd see a much better damage log.

Low levels just suck :(

On p99 the difference you see is what you should see here.

Red mobs should look like the damage chart I showed above.
Yellow harder hits.

White and blue mobs should at least be this without double attack:

miss
miss
miss

Something like that. Hitting for 1 and missing 3 times in a row then hitting for 4 and repeating that process for 3 min is silly. I played classic, I leveled from 1-50 as a sk already on live before kunark was out. Wasn't like this.

Galacticus
10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Checking this more. My shaman friend has Moroons toy or whatever from SK. Its a 20/70 weapon.

When he melees shit, he hits for the full 40 damage pretty much all the time. My ranger friend weilding minotuar axe and a 6/26 club (forgot the name) is doing shit damage because of constant misses and hitting for shit damage, even on green mobs.

My ranger friend is now 30 and his dps is still shit.

What we did find out is that with a 2h, his miss rate is much less, and he also hits for max damage or misses completely now, not much partial damage.

I have tested this with my warrior lvl 17 on P99, also with my friends rogue that is 34 and the miss rate and shitty damage is no where near what its like on p99.

The exceptions to this issue with duel weild and double attack for melee are pet damage and monk hand damage. These both are scaling with level and they scale fine.

At 29 in paw we ran into a monk who would quad hit for around 20-30 damage just like my pet at the time. However my friend ranger would hit for 10s and 5s and miss constantly. We told the monk to switch to weapons and his hit rate dropped to shit just like the ranger, though giving my pets weapons doesnt seem to make them miss more.

I rarely see any melee past level 30, and any of them I face are laughable when they attack me.

Took me 3 days /played grinding to get my sk, ranger and shaman friends up to 24 because our melee dps was so shit poor.

Stopped playing my sk and rolled a mage, level 38 now with 1 day 1 hour /played. The pet alone can solo blue mobs. My ranger friend couldnt solo my level 16 pet at 24, no buffs or dmg sheilds.

tmoneynegro
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I don't know a whole lot about accuracy rate formulas, but pretty sure your max hit formula is:

(Str + 2hs skill)/100 x wpn dmg + dmg bonus

Next you create a damage interval system of 20 numbers. First number is the lowest you can hit for (damage bonus), highest number is your max hit, then there's 18 numbers in between those. Then I believe your attack rating vs NPC AC determines how often your hits land on any of those 20 individual numbers. On an emulator, they might just use a random number generator to determine how often the dice lands on any of these 20 numbers which would result in lower or higher than average DPS. This would result in things like not doing enough DPS vs casters in PvP or hitting other melees too hard in PvP.

Here's max dmg from a monk parse done on EQ live when Kunark was latest expansion:

"59 monk with Imbued Fighter Staff, 255 str, max 2hb skill, epic atk buff, max hit 221"

Bockscar
10-10-2011, 08:12 PM
There's a mechanic that makes the game show a miss for hits that are mitigated to 0 damage. This may contribute to the perception of more misses when dual-wielding weapons with low damage since the average hit is much lower and thus more easily mitigated to 0. The melee mechanics work fine on p99 and I expect the same code is used for red99.

Palemoon
10-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Did all these complaints about rangers missing too much crop up on blue99 or is this a red thing?

tmoneynegro
10-11-2011, 12:03 AM
There's a mechanic that makes the game show a miss for hits that are mitigated to 0 damage. This may contribute to the perception of more misses when dual-wielding weapons with low damage since the average hit is much lower and thus more easily mitigated to 0. The melee mechanics work fine on p99 and I expect the same code is used for red99.

How can you mitigate a hit to 0 damage if the game uses a damage interval 20 system? No successful hit should be below damage bonus. If you currently have a damage bonus of 0, then yes, the first damage interval would be 0 I guess and might just say miss instead. This wouldn't affect anyone high enough to have a damage bonus though.

Bockscar
10-11-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't know how it works, but you can find plenty of discussions about it if you search deep.

Rogean
10-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Didn't read this thread entirely but I believe Null did make a comment that a code change he made had unintended affects on all hit chance calculations, and it should be fixed when he submits changed for next patch.

Galacticus
10-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Didn't read this thread entirely but I believe Null did make a comment that a code change he made had unintended affects on all hit chance calculations, and it should be fixed when he submits changed for next patch.

Will follow up at the appropriate time. Thanks