PDA

View Full Version : Everquest Review

Entreris
09-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Hey guys, i just finished my review of EQ using p99. I wanted to thank the people running p99 and also all the players for making it possible to see how and relive how this game was back in its glory days. Hope you guys enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2u2USMNdA1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

citizen1080
09-30-2011, 04:29 PM
First

Estu
09-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Pretty good introduction to EQ for people who don't know what it's about. A bit misleading sometimes (I think the manual for the game had maps for every town; also, any player with a little know-how will never have a corpse run over ~10-15 minutes, and the EXP on death penalty was a bit overblown, as you would almost always get a res if you were at a high enough level for death to mean hours lost) but covers the game pretty well. The part about camping is pretty similar to how I feel about it - I've never legitimately camped an item on this server as it just seems like a gigantic boring waste of time; I'd rather just buy items with plat I get EXPing or porting or something.

Felwithemagi
09-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Pretty good review. But dude, why do you talk like Dr. Evil?

TheBlackSheep
09-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Koolaidman = Orlando Bloom?

Azorath

Entreris
10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I didn't know I sounded like Dr evil! I will work on not sounding that way. I usually go a bit extreme on my reviews. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it though. Thanks for the feedback!

Roanoke
10-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Cool idea, but it seems like you've blown the challenge of EQ out of proportion. You make it sound like the entire game is set out of punish you and there's no fun involved. I've never had a CR take 2-4 hours, and ports are extremely common from druids and wizards. I see how you're trying to get people interested but if I had watched this having never played EQ I'd run in the other direction and never look back.

EQ is about being social, meeting people, grouping, building a community and gearing up in the process of all that. It is not, and has never been a solo game (strictly talking P99 here). You are forced to rely on other people in order to be successful.

EQ is fun because it's challenging, and granted it has some frustrating moments it doesn't set out to punish the player. Of course EQ looks like climbing Everest without an oxygen tank compared to games like WoW and Rift but that's the whole point. It isn't easy, everything in EQ must be earned and nothing comes free. Sure you had 40 days of /played by the time you capped, but if you weren't enjoying those 40 days of grinding then you are playing for the wrong reason.

I'm betting you could re-work your audio and re-cut the video to make it more appealing to a larger fan base who enjoys a challenge rather than having everything handed to you on a silver platter. Overall nice work considering there isn't anyone else around to do the same.

Edit: Doesn't AC spawn in South Ro? I could nit pick the shit out of this review from a video editors perspective but given that you did this for fun and enjoyment I wont :)

Arcadiassx999
10-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Fun Vid. You best twink that kid or hes not gonna make the run to Crushbone from Felwithe. )p

fuark
10-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Lmao awesome review dude. I've certainly had plenty of CRs that take 2-4 hours, and of course I'll never forget camping Pyzjin in 1999 on my 4th of july weekend, and only seeing her spawn once, and not going outside to see the fireworks because I didn't want to lose my camp.

Sslaesha
10-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Best editing @ 2:36... Seriously. I have to go quit my editing job now.

dredge
10-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Kevlar
10-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I recall a 12 hour PoF corpse retrieval once.

Sslaesha
10-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Btw great vid, although I think you focused too much on why Everquest sucks. I think most people watching this vid who've never played EQ will think ''Why would I play a game where I have to camp a mob for 24 hours, ride a boat for 30 minutes, do a corpse run for an hour'' you didn't really touch down on why a sane individual would want to do all of those things. I thought it was a pretty funny vid, good EQ humor, but I don't think other people who haven't played the game would really understand.

Gwence
10-01-2011, 08:33 PM
hey how long did it take you to get the ancient cyclops to spawn in North Ro?????

=p

Entreris
10-01-2011, 08:45 PM
No wonder I couldn't find the ac! I promise that I was sitting in south ro lol. Wrote the wrong thing down on my script. Again I enjoy the feedback. I was on the fence how to do this review because how much there was to cover and how to cover it. Thank you again guys!

jerok88
10-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Btw great vid, although I think you focused too much on why Everquest sucks. I think most people watching this vid who've never played EQ will think ''Why would I play a game where I have to camp a mob for 24 hours, ride a boat for 30 minutes, do a corpse run for an hour'' you didn't really touch down on why a sane individual would want to do all of those things. I thought it was a pretty funny vid, good EQ humor, but I don't think other people who haven't played the game would really understand.

To be honest, all of those things are true and I still don't know why I love doing those things.