PDA

View Full Version : p99 needs a recruitment drive.

Talgurin
10-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Between the recent Cheater Holocaust (no complaints) and the new PvP server that is siphoning away players from the main server, peak players have dropped from 1000 people to about 600 people.

This population hit has made it harder for me to find groups among other things. The game gets kinda lame when most zones are unpopulated.

What I'll be doing and you can do also:

- Contacting old guildmates on EQ live
- /tell to people I know from Fippy Darkpaw, unsatisfied with Shadows of Luclin eventually being released which will kill the classic feel of that server.
- Mentioning it among gamers on different games / forums who have never played EQ before

With some effort maybe numbers can return to what they were before.

TG

SyanideGas
10-01-2011, 12:46 AM
I say we make a trailer on youtube and put a SHITLOAD of tags in the description and whatnot. Its gotta be a badass trailer though thats what always gets my attention :P

Talgurin
10-01-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm a video editor for a living you can post cool shit from EQ on youtube and I can grab it with keepvid.com and make it into something, just PM me with clips

SyanideGas
10-01-2011, 01:45 AM
That sounds good if i can find a nice video recorder,probably a free one cause i dont feel like paying for anything lol. Then im totally for it.

hotstud
10-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Primary problem with promoting P99 is that you have to get the client yourself. This means you can't make a guide on how to come play here for free, you have to tell them to get a copy of Titanium themselves.. and at that point 90% of people go play WoW.

Also real promotion is a lot of work or money. This is the second major problem.

No way to play game without paying for client? Not interested says most people.

SyanideGas
10-01-2011, 02:35 AM
put* lol spelling is shit at these hours

vinx
10-01-2011, 02:40 AM
Id be careful with that...
your not suppose to promote pirates on EQ they dont come out until LoY!!

SyanideGas
10-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Id be careful with that...
your not suppose to promote pirates on EQ they dont come out until LoY!!

hehe

Charball
10-01-2011, 02:51 AM
I heard somewhere somehow if you really look hard (sarcasm) you can find a full version of titanium on...the...INTARWEBS! I agree with the notion though, more peeps for p99. Maybe some sort of recruit a friend thing could be done? I don't know shit about programming or balancing games but I think that there would be some way to offer incentives to the recruiter and recuitee.

Talgurin
10-01-2011, 03:22 AM
It only took me 30 mins to first get my Titanium client...

I think a recruit a friend thing wouldn't be a bad idea, if the GMs did some announcements about something like that it would be useful to get more players on the server.

I'm wondering a little bit if releasing the PvP server right now was the best timing given the already decreased population...

SyanideGas
10-01-2011, 03:32 AM
It only took me 30 mins to first get my Titanium client...

I think a recruit a friend thing wouldn't be a bad idea, if the GMs did some announcements about something like that it would be useful to get more players on the server.

I'm wondering a little bit if releasing the PvP server right now was the best timing given the already decreased population...

You are a damn genius! Recruit a friend thats awesome

Talgurin
10-01-2011, 05:32 AM
You are a damn genius! Recruit a friend thats awesome

Sarcasm? I know that it was Char's idea I was just reitterating it lol

SyanideGas
10-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Sarcasm?

Lol no im being serious.If we had something like that we might be able to spark something up. Nice thinking bro.

whippetofspades
10-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Main problem with recruit a friend is that EQ is initially kind of unpleasant for people who don't play it with nostalgia/play other MMO's. I have tried to get a few friends involved, who are avid gamers otherwise, who didn't even bother playing once they saw the graphics/difficulty.

Actually, that's probably the main problem with ANY kind of promotion. Without having done any research I dare say the vast majority of people here actually played classic EQ (or at least one of its earlier, pre-game ruining expansions). I'd be interested to see what the ratio of old players to EQ virgins is. That aside, my point is that completely new players are going to be difficult to attract, so you're really only promoting to a niche group of old players.

Not that I'm criticising, I'm all for more players.

Rais
10-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Look at the state of the server the past two months and ask,why did 200 or so people stopped playing. Not opening Vp to allow the upper 100 or so end game raiders to move on, killed the raiding for the next 4 raiding guilds. Divinity , bda, taken and vd have taking hits. I would say between the 4 of us we lost over 100 or so people.

Guilds can only raid hate, fear and sky so many times before being burnt out. If tr and tmo moved on to vp, it would allow those other guilds to do new things and get older members back. Hell give it another month and Tr won't have more than 30 people online, or TMO will only have 50 man raids.

People can only do the same things for so long before being burnt out. Lack of content,epic,server politics is killing the server slowly. Go ask your friends to come back and when they ask,has anythint changed? The answer will be no. So what motivation do they have to clear hate for the 70th time for armor to rot.

Threepoint
10-01-2011, 07:20 AM
I concur, people definitely gonna make their returns with VP and epics

It's too bad people like daltheb and Eashan have negatively impacting the server but we shall recover

Orruar
10-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Look at the state of the server the past two months and ask,why did 200 or so people stopped playing. Not opening Vp to allow the upper 100 or so end game raiders to move on, killed the raiding for the next 4 raiding guilds. Divinity , bda, taken and vd have taking hits. I would say between the 4 of us we lost over 100 or so people.

Guilds can only raid hate, fear and sky so many times before being burnt out. If tr and tmo moved on to vp, it would allow those other guilds to do new things and get older members back. Hell give it another month and Tr won't have more than 30 people online, or TMO will only have 50 man raids.

People can only do the same things for so long before being burnt out. Lack of content,epic,server politics is killing the server slowly. Go ask your friends to come back and when they ask,has anythint changed? The answer will be no. So what motivation do they have to clear hate for the 70th time for armor to rot.

Do you really think that VP being open will change the rest of the raid game? TMO will zerg through VP in 4-5 hours with their 80 people, then will have the rest of the week to poopsock trak and do whatever else.

Rais
10-01-2011, 10:08 AM
TR and TMO will free up other targets. You think the they won't be camping the 6 dragons in Vp? Thats about 100 people in Vp. You think they will be going for cazic, inny, vs or kunark dragons if dragons are in window in Vp? This opens many new Windows for guilds who don't have 40-90 active raiders who log on for the the batphone .

It's the lack of targets for people to get excited about. What's the point of trying for something if 60 people are camped out at a "Target" thats in the window. How many times do you think TR or TMO want to camp trak?

Raiding guilds move on to VP the other more casual guilds get the targets that are freed up. It'simple. How many alts do people want to level up and regear for the 5th time.

It's fact. People get burnt out doing the same shit over and over. This isn't s dig at tr or tmo. Even they will get burnt out killing trak the 80th time because of VP not being open. Punishing those two guilds and keeping it closed trickles down and hurts the rest of the raiding guilds. In the end, you see server population decline.

Orruar
10-01-2011, 11:08 AM
TR and TMO will free up other targets. You think the they won't be camping the 6 dragons in Vp? Thats about 100 people in Vp. You think they will be going for cazic, inny, vs or kunark dragons if dragons are in window in Vp? This opens many new Windows for guilds who don't have 40-90 active raiders who log on for the the batphone .

It's the lack of targets for people to get excited about. What's the point of trying for something if 60 people are camped out at a "Target" thats in the window. How many times do you think TR or TMO want to camp trak?

Raiding guilds move on to VP the other more casual guilds get the targets that are freed up. It'simple. How many alts do people want to level up and regear for the 5th time.

It's fact. People get burnt out doing the same shit over and over. This isn't s dig at tr or tmo. Even they will get burnt out killing trak the 80th time because of VP not being open. Punishing those two guilds and keeping it closed trickles down and hurts the rest of the raiding guilds. In the end, you see server population decline.

You're right. For a minute there, I was thinking they'd just let VP repop and then do a plow once a week or whatever the spawn time is. But I forgot about how retarded they are.

Pomaikai
10-01-2011, 11:13 AM
I know that I've been contacting old guildies that I've kept up with via FB. That's how I ended up playing 1999. Some old friends told me about it, and I restarted my old Cleric. Now I've been passing along the link to Project 1999, and I'm pretty sure I've got at least 2 former guildies to start playing on 1999, and possibly more. So keep plugging away at old friends via FB and your old server and guild message boards!

fishingme
10-01-2011, 12:38 PM
what are you guys talking about? I don't remember seeing population on p99 peak anywhere near 1000 since about a month or two after kunark was released

Malrubius
10-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I've had more fun on the server over the past several weeks than ever before.

Lots of people (including me) predicted long ago that the power gamers would get bored and move on (to pvp or wherever) once they've exhausted the content.

They are leaving, and the server is better for it imho (not a flame at all - I used to be a power gamer too).

I expect they'll come back in hordes when Velious comes out, but they'll blow through that content too, and then leave again.

druziil
10-01-2011, 12:50 PM
The problem is you all play too much. With the rate of development and with the style of play that predominates here people hit the ceiling quickly. Out of 700 players how many are max level? That is alot of people to support with the content we currently have. Like others have stated you can only clear posky so many times before it gets teidious, and I'll add, you can only bank so many trak bps before it gets old and you can only roll so many alts before you get fed up with exp grind. How long after epics are out before people get tired of those camps/encounters? Not to mention the fact that related fear/hate loots will give a reason for those zones to be more contested.

The last thought i will throw out there is some people also went back to school recently which i am sure affected a percentage of the players here.

Mcbard
10-01-2011, 12:52 PM
The problem is you all play too much. With the rate of development and with the style of play that predominates here people hit the ceiling quickly. Out of 700 players how many are max level? That is alot of people to support with the content we currently have. Like others have stated you can only clear posky so many times before it gets teidious, and I'll add, you can only bank so many trak bps before it gets old and you can only roll so many alts before you get fed up with exp grind. How long after epics are out before people get tired of those camps/encounters? Not to mention the fact that related fear/hate loots will give a reason for those zones to be more contested.

The last thought i will throw out there is some people also went back to school recently which i am sure affected a percentage of the players here.

This. Also, I'm pretty sure in the last week the population went from high 700's Where it's been for 4 months to low 600's with a new server opening. The sky isn't falling.

New content would be great though!

SyanideGas
10-01-2011, 02:49 PM
. I have tried to get a few friends involved, who are avid gamers otherwise, who didn't even bother playing once they saw the graphics/difficulty.

This is whats retarded about modern gamers they all concentrate on the graphics and not how the gameplay is. I'd prefer gameplay over graphics anyday.

Roanoke
10-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Did anyone stop to think that summer is over? Take into consideration that people have lives outside of ths game (lol, I know). Many people I have played with so far are students at universities etc who are now being swamped with schoolwork. The amount of time people are able to dedicate has been drastically reduced and there is not a whole lot that can be done. The pvp server is not enough of a draw to have p99 have such a low population (in fact I have yet to see more than 250 people on red99 at any given time).

When the initial couple of weeks of school get rolling we may see an increase in population. I know that I have had less time to play recently due to this as well.

Wait for winter to fully kick in and we'll see how the trend goes.

Shiftin
10-01-2011, 03:17 PM

I've tried to get folks to come back. Like it's been mentioned over and over, their questions are "is VP opened, has anything changed?". I can't give them the answer they want. We've now been through 4 reasons of steadily decreasing validity why there is no VP and have been waiting for 3 weeks for nilbog to have time to talk with us about it. 3 weeks which have brought tons of bug fixes and the launching of an entirely new server, so draw whatever conclusions you want from that. With the old republic and tons of other games about to drop for the holidays, the chances of getting them back here diminish by the day. It doesn't just affect the raiders, those raiders everyone loves to hate also fill in lower level groups too. I can recount the history of the excuses that have brought us to 6 months after kunark opened without it's most exciting zone if people want, but it tends to induce rage in folks.

There were 52-58 TMO sitting in VS room last night waiting for him to spawn. Without VP, the population will move to equilibrium with the current number of raid targets. Guilds will continue to fall apart and be absorbed. hey, at least the PVP folks are happy?

Fountree
10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
new content please! I know that the server staff took a hit over the last few months, but we're already 6+ months after Kunark release and VP isn't out, let alone epics. I know I've been out of things to do besides raid when targets spawn, farm or PL friends for 2-3 months now...

Talgurin
10-02-2011, 02:13 AM
To get new players, brand it this way:

Tired of WoW?
Tired of INSULTINGLY EASY MMOs?
Test your limits as a gamer with the original EverQuest
Join an unforgiving world with consequences and challenges and the chance to achieve real glory (as much as you can get on a computer game, that is)

EVE players would be into this, as well as Darkfall players.

Beeber
10-02-2011, 02:43 AM
To get new players, brand it this way:

Tired of WoW?
Tired of INSULTINGLY EASY MMOs?
Test your limits as a gamer with the original EverQuest
Join an unforgiving world with consequences and challenges and the chance to achieve real glory (as much as you can get on a computer game, that is)

EVE players would be into this, as well as Darkfall players.

BTW, this may not be the best opportunity to voice this, but the perception that other MMO's aren't as difficult as EQ was is flat out paint drinking retarded. I was apart of several world first kills in EQ through PoP, and yes..many of the fights are challenging, difficult, and leave little margin for error. But if you really wanna compare attacking AoW or Burrower for 30 minutes in a corner while 10 clerics are macro healing, or zerging Coirnaiv (whatever), or Yelinak, or pushing Aayornar (whatever again) around N ToV to things like the upper end of WoW fights (LK, Vashj, etc), you're crazy.

EQ set the bar for Risk vs Reward as Aradune would have happily admitted to, but don't recollect so fondly in your P1999 hipster fashion that auto attacking stuff is hard.

Talgurin
10-02-2011, 03:25 AM
BTW, this may not be the best opportunity to voice this, but the perception that other MMO's aren't as difficult as EQ was is flat out paint drinking retarded. I was apart of several world first kills in EQ through PoP, and yes..many of the fights are challenging, difficult, and leave little margin for error. But if you really wanna compare attacking AoW or Burrower for 30 minutes in a corner while 10 clerics are macro healing, or zerging Coirnaiv (whatever), or Yelinak, or pushing Aayornar (whatever again) around N ToV to things like the upper end of WoW fights (LK, Vashj, etc), you're crazy.

EQ set the bar for Risk vs Reward as Aradune would have happily admitted to, but don't recollect so fondly in your P1999 hipster fashion that auto attacking stuff is hard.

lol

fuark
10-02-2011, 03:41 AM

Way to miss the vast majority of things that make EQ difficult. I assure you raid target difficulty is not something that any EQ player would say was what made EQ "hard".

SyanideGas
10-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Way to miss the vast majority of things that make EQ difficult. I assure you raid target difficulty is not something that any EQ player would say was what made EQ "hard".

Theres alot to talk about,leveling...corpse runs..Exp loss. no working compass. Yeaah its alot to mention but thats what makes it fun..for me anyway :P

Beeber
10-02-2011, 04:10 AM
No shit. But people continue to act as if 'lol ez mode other mmo's' when no one remembers 10 years ago when we wanted more complex, user-controlled raid fights and about as complex as we got was rathe encounter

Rhaj
10-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Things that makes games easy

-No Corpse Runs
Item Loss

-Big ???? Over quest givers

-Maps

-Fast Leveling

-Instancing

Orruar
10-02-2011, 10:53 AM
How many other MMOs released new expansions before the previous one had even been beaten (OoW released before Tacvi beaten)? Hell, most MMO raid content is beaten by several dozen guilds before the next expansion comes out.

Humerox
10-02-2011, 12:23 PM

A lot of us had essentially quit and were waiting on R99, where others were just waiting. If R99 took away more than 50 players I'd be shocked.

Talgurin
10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't play P99 for nostalgia but because it's hard. The only other game that comes close is Darkfall, although I quit DF because you need to find a big guild to protect you from the legions of PKs or it becomes less fun.

Anyway, WoW is so easy it's absurd. I leveled a pally up to around 70 on WoW over a couple of months, but I never once had to group and every single monster is the same, exact, story.

- Crusader Strike
- Slash Slash
- Righteous Blow
- Monster is dead

The only way to challenge myself was to go into old group and raid dungeons by myself and start killing my way through. That was fun, but everything in between was absurdly boring.

And no death penalties took away all tension. The only cool part is that I was playing on a PvP server and that was fairly dynamic, PvP on WoW is excellent.

AreYouAngered MyBrother
10-02-2011, 04:40 PM

I keep seeing people act like they know how hard Everquest was. You never raided Gates of Discord at 65. You know nothing.

AreYouAngered MyBrother
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Hell, even Depths of Darkhollow at 70 was unbelievably hard. Plane of Blood was insane.

You WoW kids keep talking tough but you never even did these raids. You quit a long time ago, remember? You were too busy playing WoW.

It doesn't count if you went back and did these encounters at level 85+. When these encounters were new, it took months of practice. Some even took years.

SyanideGas
10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
The thing is though EQ became shit when luclin came along all though PoP was pretty cool.

Orruar
10-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I keep seeing people act like they know how hard Everquest was. You never raided Gates of Discord at 65. You know nothing.

Exactly. Tacvi holds probably 3 of the top 5 hardest boss fights for the era. OMM in Anguish is one of those other top 4. AoW likely rounds out the top 5, though I wasn't raiding that content during velious era, so it's hard to say. TSS had some fights that were so ridiculous that they had to be nerfed after the top guild beat them, because nobody else was going to do it until the level cap went up with a future expansion. In every other MMO I've seen, the new content is beaten quickly by several dozen guilds, and upwards of 100 have it beat before the next expansion.

So the raid content is very difficult in EQ compared to other games. The rest of the game isn't a cakewalk either. Most games give you a free month of playtime when you buy the game, and it doesn't take much to get max level in that month. The gear is also pretty easy to come by in those games.

Sithel1988
10-14-2011, 04:26 PM
i think more population would be sweet. it gets lonely at blackburrow knowing everyone is in gfay

Dontmez_Mebro
10-14-2011, 04:31 PM

By that logic the server is doomed because they only plan to go up to a limited amount of expansions.

Greyhands
10-14-2011, 05:39 PM
I say we make a trailer on youtube and put a SHITLOAD of tags in the description and whatnot. Its gotta be a badass trailer though thats what always gets my attention :P

Ok Video Idea !!

Find a bunch of photos of Hot women with big breast put it in a video then at the last flash the P99 Logo and say these are the women that play here.

Maybe a little white lie but I bet you get some hits :)

Tervvo
10-15-2011, 07:42 PM

Classic Everquest can be very hard at times just everyday playing, the new EQ is very easy to level in. At level 50 the Plane of Sky was as hard a raid as it gets, as shown it was only completed once before Kunark came out.