PDA

View Full Version : So Broke!

Kimja
10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
So, I haven't played EQ since 2004, and I am enjoying my time back here on P99. The only problem is I'm level 9 and broke as a joke! I can't even afford to keep up with my spell costs. What is the trick here? I don't remember having coin problems way back in 1999!

Note: More of a rant than an actual question, although any ideas for good money making camps in the level 10 range are more than welcome!

Matalus
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
What's your character name in-game.

Also stack bone chips sell easily 10pp or so, HQ Pelts for 10-20pp also, loot everything and vendor, even if it's a few copper, stuff adds up quick

Rhaj
10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
I can hook you up with some coin as well.

eadric
10-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I did the greater lighstones quests for spell money, as well as the bandit sashes in Qeynos. Not sure if there are equivalent cash quests in the Freeport area.

Mardur
10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
There's places to earn money all over the game. I can sort of understand someone being too lazy to do their own research, but you didn't even mention where you are or your class. And I'm not about to list suggestions on what to hunt in every single zone in the game if you obviously can't put in the effort to earn anything more than handouts.

If you're interested in hunting yourself, at least provide a class and location. If you're just looking for free money, then be up front about it.

Fists
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
A tip for when you hit about 16-20 depending on class ~ Certain guards in paineel at that level will be white/blue to you and will drop 9p or so per kill. No faction hits, and you can bank/vendor freely. The spawn timer is 20 minutes or so now, but I loved this camp leveling my monk here originally.

Mardur
10-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Definitely depending on class. For almost anyone, the paineel guards are just way too hard at the range they give experience. You almost always have at least 2 and you usually have very little room to work with. And if you're killing them when they're green, there's generally better money to be had elsewhere.

Snaggles
10-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I think many of us just forgot how crappy it was. I remember looting every dang rat whisker and still hardly kept up with spells. I think my lvl 10 rogue got his dragoon dirk at level 12 from a buddy on live.

On P99 I'm just in a loop of grinding and self loathing. Made a little money leveling a necro to 23 (i do mean little) and started a melee to put in my time. Pretty much just assuming the first 30 levels are gonna be selling crap to vendors or grouping amd praying for loot drops. Well, whatever you can consider "loot" from the teens till 30 :p. Im still in my teens so here's to hoping!

I will say, Willowisps are decent exp at lvl 9-13 and lightstones sell for 9 gold while greaters sell for 4pp. It's not good money but decent. Crushbone belts are way better but i loathe Kelethin.

Cheers :)

Kevlar
10-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Gnoll fangs in blackburrow will net you 5g + sellable loot if you turn in at Halas. Greater lightstones give to Myrsalla at the gypsy camp in NK, you get a book that sells for 10p.

San
10-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Save all your greater lightstones and once you have alot of them there is a turn in person in NK at the gypsy camp that will give you a book or somthing like that for each one you turn in. The book vendors for 9p I think. Hope I am remembering this correctly.

Snaggles
10-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Save all your greater lightstones and once you have alot of them there is a turn in person in NK at the gypsy camp that will give you a book or somthing like that for each one you turn in. The book vendors for 9p I think. Hope I am remembering this correctly.

Dang! Thanks for the protip :)

Kimja
10-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Good conversation guys thanks!

Hey Mardur, been playing the game since 99' so I really didn't need a lesson on research. Just kind of venting to be honest. Thanks for the offer for plat guys, but I'm a purist and don't take handouts!

I'm an Erudite Enchanter named Kimja, in the Qeynos area at the moment if anyone wants to get together and group.

Kimja

Groo
10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
As a new enchanter around your level, I saved stacks of bone chips. I eventually found buyers who were offering generous amounts of plat while hunting in Everfrost and Qeynos Hills. It enabled me to pay for spells and save some extra. But other than that, I was fairly poor until I started turning in GLS in my teens.

Buellen
10-03-2011, 07:22 PM
YOU WILL HAVE TO SACRIFICE TIME TO MAKE PLATE IN EARLY LEVELS JUST ACCEPT THIS

1 to 20 seem to be where the most folks have hard time gather coin, so i will discuss this from perspective of qeynos toon.

Disclaimer ** This small sample is no where near the many ways you can make plate in P 1999 do some research on your own if this small sampls is not to your satisfactonIII

Qeynos area:

level 1 to whenver you get tired mail delivery run to surefall talk to bard in ranger building " i will deliver mail to qeynos" now run across qeynos hills and zone into east karana hug right wall till you hit barbarian village. Their is a bard chick in on of the buildings " i will deliver mail to qeynos" run back to qeynos or gate if you can and head to bards guild turn in letter get good xp and roughly 3pp.

Level 1+ rusty weapons sell from 3sp to 2gp each kill every dam skele / kobold you see they can also drop cloth armour and bags also values from 5sp to 4gp.

level 5 to 10 kill bears / wolfs bank all the Low , medium , high quality skins you get value varies but from 1pp to 20pp on various skins.

10 to 20 Bandits in karana rarly drop bronze now if the monk female males holding a weapon IT SHOULD ALWAYS BE BRONZE not sure if it now as i have not tested this in a month. More importantly they drop Bandit Sashes turn into karana tempel for more bronze weaponsl

10 to 20 Grizzly bears can drop GRizzly skins which can be turn into rienforced medicin bags 10 slots 10 pecent weight reduction Gaint sized item capacity. Sell from 10 to 30pp depending on buyer.

10 to 20 North karana and South karana Raiders drops bronze and bandits sashes for more bronze

10 to 20 North karana West karana undead camp. Zombies and ghouls have been fixed and will now drop rawhide on a regular basis on top of occasional bronze weapons.

10 to 20 North karana Wiisp wisps wisp and more wisps their is no place currently in p1999 with the amount of wisps as this zone for those that dont know they are the placeholders for all the mobs in this zone with a few exceptions. anyhow light stones 9gp Greaterlight stone turn in quest at gypsys for 10pp item. engouh said.

*** EDIT *** 1 in 10 is not uncommon get a Greater light stone if you level your toon in North karana level 9 to 15 you will make more than enough plate to support your spell habit. North karana is bindable as the higher levels who hang out here to bind you at gypsys camp.

stormlord
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Learn about the quests too. If you see furgit up (he's near cottage) in qeynos hills then kill him and turn in his head at a guy in surefall at the fire. You something several plat the first time, at least. Kill hte poachers and you can turn in their heads for sh**. Turn in rabid wolf/grizzly diseased/putrid pelts at the rodcet nife shrine for 2-3p returns. Etc.

There's lots of things but it does take time. Just do these things whne you can get experience from them. That's the best way to keep yourself busy and occupied. The more you know, the more effective you'll be.

But I'd sure like to go over it all and make it better. The holes are bad too. For example, the smugglers in the sewer really don't have an incentive to do them that I can tell. But improving all this is lala land.

toddfx
10-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I for one remember always being broke on Live. I definitely remember sporting leather on my cleric well into his 30s. And my monk still had lots of Wu's in his 50s when I stopped playing regularly.

To answer your question though, you are the perfect level for the Greather Lightstone Quests.

dredge
10-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Jjlent
10-04-2011, 11:25 PM
when u get to lvl 25ish exp in MM n get some mage summoned bags, loot all the FS/bronze weapons n sell them in lfay when ur bags r full, i made a small fortune in the like 9 lvls i was in MM just looting all the bronze armor n weapons n selling that stuff in lfay, can make like 500pp in a night if u loot/sell a few times a night

Jjlent
10-04-2011, 11:25 PM
plus the zone is just pure winning n fun to exp in

formallydickman
10-04-2011, 11:27 PM
I have figured out that everyone with good gear has either cheated, have friends that have cheated or belongs to a guild that cheats.

I have also come to accept that my level 43 rogue will most likely never have enough plat to buy a haste item and the likely hood of getting a guild or group together to help me get one is nill, until that item is no longer any real benefit to me at least.

I have done multiple long ass quests to get mediocre gear and I have never had more then 2,000 plat at one time, and that time was because I stripped and sold all my gear on another char.

This is ridiculous. The reason you aren't able to afford a haste item (what like 15k pp?) isn't because you aren't cheating, its because you're clearly not farming for plat or farming correctly.

When my magician was in his 40s I decided to start farming plat in all the usual spots and I had 10k pp made before I hit 44.

Motec
10-04-2011, 11:39 PM
I struggle to make plat but luckily my guild showed me all the sploitz.

Mardur
10-05-2011, 02:46 AM
Good conversation guys thanks!

Hey Mardur, been playing the game since 99' so I really didn't need a lesson on research. Just kind of venting to be honest. Thanks for the offer for plat guys, but I'm a purist and don't take handouts!

I'm an Erudite Enchanter named Kimja, in the Qeynos area at the moment if anyone wants to get together and group.

Kimja

Qeynos is easy.

Around Blackburrow and the valley towards Qeynos there's a rabid grizzly. Kill it, loot hide. Along the western side of the zone from the end of the lake over by the vendor house, there are 2 diseased wolves. Killed them and loot their pelts and a fleshy orb. Do this over and over, respawn is fast. Each round is worth about 8 plat, turn all the items in to Priestess Caulria. Instant plats. You'll run into lots of willowisps running this route too, turn in GLS for ~9 plat, and sell off lightstones.

Seaweedpimp
10-05-2011, 03:19 AM
I have figured out that everyone with good gear has either cheated, have friends that have cheated or belongs to a guild that cheats.

I have also come to accept that my level 43 rogue will most likely never have enough plat to buy a haste item and the likely hood of getting a guild or group together to help me get one is nill, until that item is no longer any real benefit to me at least.

I have done multiple long ass quests to get mediocre gear and I have never had more then 2,000 plat at one time, and that time was because I stripped and sold all my gear on another char.

I have never cheated, nor have i benifeted from cheating of any kind. You cant expect to make a ton of plat doing quests. There is no time you would never need a haste item so idk what youre even talking about there. You really dont think most raiding guilds can get you a sky belt? You dont think you can get into a raiding guild?

Trust me bro, when my brother and i started playing p99 (chars we stuck with) we made a necro and an enchanter. we started working on his JC skill at about level 20, in upper guk looting jades to make silver cheap jewelry. I played my necro to 50 with a raw silk mantle, or whatever the 3ac 0 stat shoulders sold at merchants. I sacraficed alot of time and money while leveling up, trading my gear to buy more supplies to level our JC.

Now if i liquidated all my shit id have like a million plat. No way to tell really. But i dont even have BiS for most of my gear.

If you put more effort into it, it will happen. There are plenty of richer folks that play non farming classes that are just good with money and can rack it up. I play a money making char and i dont even think i have 20k in the bank.

Not everyone you see with decent gear is cheating or haxxing or screwing people over.

skulldudes
10-05-2011, 04:27 AM
I have never cheated, nor have i benifeted from cheating of any kind. You cant expect to make a ton of plat doing quests. There is no time you would never need a haste item so idk what youre even talking about there. You really dont think most raiding guilds can get you a sky belt? You dont think you can get into a raiding guild?

Trust me bro, when my brother and i started playing p99 (chars we stuck with) we made a necro and an enchanter. we started working on his JC skill at about level 20, in upper guk looting jades to make silver cheap jewelry. I played my necro to 50 with a raw silk mantle, or whatever the 3ac 0 stat shoulders sold at merchants. I sacraficed alot of time and money while leveling up, trading my gear to buy more supplies to level our JC.

Now if i liquidated all my shit id have like a million plat. No way to tell really. But i dont even have BiS for most of my gear.

If you put more effort into it, it will happen. There are plenty of richer folks that play non farming classes that are just good with money and can rack it up. I play a money making char and i dont even think i have 20k in the bank.

Not everyone you see with decent gear is cheating or haxxing or screwing people over.

that won't stop me from hating everyone who has a fungi tunic irl, though. MY KINGDOM FOR A WOODSMAN'S STAFF

Bubbles
10-05-2011, 04:58 AM
I strongly second Seaweeds notion that you quit 3 levels before being handed a free belt in skyplane.