PDA

View Full Version : Which tank can I take?

loopholbrook
10-05-2011, 05:27 PM
So I just started P99 and I really want to roll a tank. I know all three main tank classes pretty well, but I can't really decide which one I want. People lean me toward a race and class please. Right now the front runner is Troll Warrior, followed by Ogre SK, but I honestly can't decide which I want. Pick for me please people, and explain why.

Otto
10-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Warrior because you'll level significantly faster and gnome because gnome's are the best.

SyanideGas
10-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Warriors do have a nice bonus,but they reaaally suck when it comes to tanking unless you have nice procing weapons. On the otherhand i'd probably go SK because theyre nice for holding aggro.

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
On live, I played a Dark Elf Shadowknight for about 5 years.

This time around I played a Dark Elf Cleric, but my tank alt is a Troll Warrior.

Why I like Trolls:

-Regeneration
-Trolls look neat
-Decent vision
-Slam (but at higher levels Kick also stuns, IIRC)

Why I like Warriors:

-Disciplines
-Beefiest tanks
-They get a small EXP bonus
-You can be Agnostic, which makes faction fixing easier (if you're into that)

Other thoughts:

-Some people don't like to have hybrids (Shadowknights, Paladins, Rangers, Bards) in their group because of the EXP penalty.

skulldudes
10-05-2011, 06:02 PM
warriors are pretty miserable to start from scratch with, but it might be your cup of tea. you will basically be bunk DPS until you can score a couple decent proccing weapons to hold agro.

i'd go with shadow knight, because in my mind they're pretty well rounded. invis, ivu, fd, pets good stuff.

if you go paladin, though, you do have the boon of having some incredibly cheap but powerful gearing options.

Connador
10-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Other thoughts:

-Some people don't like to have hybrids (Shadowknights, Paladins, Rangers, Bards) in their group because of the EXP penalty.

I thought I read that that had been taken out?

Kevlar
10-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Ungeared wars are probably the hardest class to play. Absolutely no utility, and with rusty weapons you will barely be able to solo a dark blue. If you ever get an add forget about it and run. You are going to be spending a lot of time sitting on your bum.

Hamahakki
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
If you are OK with being completely unable to solo, be a warrior.

Otherwise, be a paladin or shadowknight.

Don't worry too much about not being able to generate threat, if you save your plat from lightstones and bear pelts, you'll be able to get a pair of Obsidian Shards at level 16, which is when they start procing.

bwe
10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
can shamans tank group content <40

Kevlar
10-05-2011, 07:07 PM
can shamans tank group content <40

Efficiently? No. In emergencies, or someone who wants to take a half hour to kill something to show off their e-peen? Yes.

Snaggles
10-05-2011, 07:28 PM
I would go knight class, SK or Pally as your first time through. They are more self-reliant (solo ease) and have more tricks to get out of trouble.

A warrior is very gear dependent but amazing at what it does: Doing damage and taking it. Unfortunately with crappy gear you wont be able to kill much by yourself and won't be enjoying the fun of proccing weapons. You will also find holding aggro difficult without these essential tools.

Kevlar
10-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Nothing wrong with playing a warrior. But I wouldn't play any melee as a first character. You need gear to be productive. Make a caster first, save up some loot, and buy some gear for your melee.

achtung
10-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm not a fan of this "make a Mage/Necro to get money first" thing. If you're going to be a good warrior, if you're going to work hard to get the best gear that you can, and if you're going to be social and join/form groups, then you'll be fine. You'll meet people who will either help you get what you need or who turn out to be the alts of bored level 60s who will be kind and give you stuff. Unless you're on a weird time zone or plan to solo, it will work out.

That said, if you can take the warrior or leave it, I'd go with a Shadowknight :)

Kevlar
10-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm not a fan of this "make a Mage/Necro to get money first" thing. If you're going to be a good warrior, if you're going to work hard to get the best gear that you can, and if you're going to be social and join/form groups, then you'll be fine. You'll meet people who will either help you get what you need or who turn out to be the alts of bored level 60s who will be kind and give you stuff. Unless you're on a weird time zone or plan to solo, it will work out.

That said, if you can take the warrior or leave it, I'd go with a Shadowknight :)

Ok, so you would rather be a beggar than do it yourself. Me, I like to be self sufficient. Never one to suckle on someones nutsack for loots.

You could do it the painful way and level up with rusty daggers.

You could do it the easy way and level up with a naked pet caster and then buy melee shit.

You could do it the other easy way and rub some cocks for loot.

Oh, and if you are level 5 in full cobalt you are going to get more groups than the warrior standing there in a cloth shirt with a rusty dagger. Been there.

Seaweedpimp
10-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Dont listen to this guy.

I started off with a warrior, with no gear. Got to about 22 before i said ok fuck this. And no, you cant play a warrior any better than i can. ;)

georgie
10-05-2011, 09:17 PM

i kinda agree what hes saying but at the same time i can see why u wouldnt want to roll war first. im going ranger first on p99 pvp server when it goes live. it will suck big time, but i just want to do it cuz i want the real experience. whether that be getting owned by every mage and necro or getting kills

Estu
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
You CAN level a warrior from scratch without begging, but you have to know how to farm at low levels and what weapons to look for. If you're clueless, you're going to be a burden on your groups and be a shitty DPSer while your cleric / wizard / rogue tanks and hates you for eating a share of EXP. For a newbie player I would always recommend SK or paladin, not least of which because they are more fun and interesting to play by far.

Snaggles
10-05-2011, 10:08 PM
You can level up fine. Get cheap ac like bronze or banded and a decent weapon. Most people on classic leveled with weapons way worse than the Nathsar Greatsword (or similar 1h/2h equiv) and those are literally given away.

If you wanna be a beast its just gonna cost a bit more cash. Aggro will be tougher than playing a sk or pal. The exp penalty even with a troll warrior is MUCH better than an ogre sk (or even Human sk).

Whip of Strangulation is decent and procs an 80dmg chanter dot at lvl 10.

Both good classes, just different.

Softcore PK
10-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Paladins can heal!

raptorak
10-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Definitely go troll for a melee class - ogre is for min/maxers with a super-uper guild only. When you are sitting on your ass healing up with rabies, you will thank the gods you chose troll.

loopholbrook
10-06-2011, 12:23 AM
I just want to reiterate that I have played all three tank classes. A lot of people seem to be missing that. I had a 54 warrior, a 46 sk, and a 30 something pally, so I know how to use each class, just starting new since I'm just joining project 1999. With that being said, thanks for the input, still leaning toward Troll Warrior however after all of this. Also, to all you people saying go caster first, I don't have the patience to sit and med. I need to be in the action for me not to get bored.

Overweight
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
You definitely will not be bored with running back from a corpse run trying to solo as a warrior.

Bubbles
10-06-2011, 01:32 AM
I second the notion that thanks to the deepwater surplus of 2011, Paladin is probably the most affordable choice to start from scratch with.

Kevlar
10-06-2011, 05:32 AM
Also, to all you people saying go caster first, I don't have the patience to sit and med. I need to be in the action for me not to get bored.

Pet casters don't have any down time and can solo quite well buck nekkid. Untwinked melee not so much. If you don't like sitting and staring at the screen I hope you have a pocket healer. Experienced or not P99 is quite brutal especially on low levels.

Alkorin
10-06-2011, 07:18 AM
You definitely will not be bored with running back from a corpse run trying to solo as a warrior.

You're doing it wrong. If you're dying, it's because you aren't running soon enough. ~

Snaggles
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Before

So I just started P99 and I really want to roll a tank. I know all three main tank classes pretty well, but I can't really decide which one I want. People lean me toward a race and class please. Right now the front runner is Troll Warrior, followed by Ogre SK, but I honestly can't decide which I want. Pick for me please people, and explain why.

After

I just want to reiterate that I have played all three tank classes. A lot of people seem to be missing that. I had a 54 warrior, a 46 sk, and a 30 something pally, so I know how to use each class, just starting new since I'm just joining project 1999. With that being said, thanks for the input, still leaning toward Troll Warrior however after all of this. Also, to all you people saying go caster first, I don't have the patience to sit and med. I need to be in the action for me not to get bored.

:confused:

Why are you asking us? You have played each one a significant amount of time and I hope have done some research over the years.

If you're gonna group why bother with a troll, the regen gets you nothing except more of an exp hit. The stats are good but you can roll a Dwarf and not be far in the hole. You could roll an ogre and be superior and have frontal stun immunity and less of an exp hit than the troll.

Softcore PK
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Why are you asking us?

Why not? Conversation shouldn't be a bad thing, and he probably just wants to throw around some ideas with us. We're all EQ geeks here, and I for one love discussing EQ!

OP, if you're decided on a warrior (big mistake imo, hybrids are more fun!), don't go ogre or troll; they're ugly and very gross. If you're wanting to be a big race, so you can slam without shield, your only real option is a barbarian. And if slam isn't a major concern of yours, you should be either a dark elf, gnome or wood/half elf! This is because they're clearly the best races in game. I would suggest a halfling, too, but everyone on Blue99 seems to be playing them.. which kinda makes them *yawn*. Another interesting suggestion: Iksar! No one can deny that an iksar warrior is the epitome of badass. And though you will be limited in armor choices a great deal (no cobalt !) until velious, if you do plan to raid velious when it comes out you'll have that slight ac advantage over other warriors.

Dantes
10-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I did the opposite. Started my Warrior first. Now I recently farmed gear for my level 25 mage with the Warrior. I'm doing it wrong, lol! But it wasn't that bad starting with nothing as a Warrior, lots of folks helped me out... and I didn't have to give any virtual hand-jobs for it. And I was a newb before the release of Kunark - now there's even more equipment available and a better selection of weapons to choose from. Gearing up and being so gear dependent is something that makes the class more challenging and fun.

Snaggles
10-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Why not? Conversation shouldn't be a bad thing, and he probably just wants to throw around some ideas with us. We're all EQ geeks here, and I for one love discussing EQ!

I totally agree and love chatting EQ. :D

Just seemed the OP was looking for more basic input initially but has a ton of playtime under his belt.

For me the hybrid route is the most fun regardless of slower leveling. If I had more cash the pure melees are a blast though (and very capable).

loopholbrook
10-06-2011, 04:48 PM

This hit the nail on the head.

So, thanks for the input people. I think that I'll just stick to my monk for the time being, and maybe when I get high enough level or bored I'll pick up a tank, but not right now.

Snaggles
10-06-2011, 04:53 PM
This hit the nail on the head.

So, thanks for the input people. I think that I'll just stick to my monk for the time being, and maybe when I get high enough level or bored I'll pick up a tank, but not right now.

Probably a wise path. If you have already put time into the monk they are a pretty affordable pure melee. A staff, Wu's armor, and rings will tide you over a for a long time.

While a T-staff would be ideal it's just not gonna happen for everyone. There are quite a few more affordable options and by the time exp slows down you will have a ton of money to start fresh or keep pulling on the monk.

Vondra
10-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Reasonable warrior wep proc items, including various ykesha stuff other than Ringed mace, seem to be available quite cheap (few hundred pp) in EC.

I mean yeah you still have to put effort in, but I would figure you could get serviceable (not uber) reasonably enough. As a warrior not buying spells, enough money to buy a couple proc weapons in EC shouldn't take that long to come up with even if no one helps you...just by vending/selling bone chips and all that stuff.

After that, there's reasonable mid level items for the other slots similarly available for a few hundred pp in most cases. Knock em out one at a time...I would think it'd be pretty fun actually on a first character.

mokfarg
10-06-2011, 06:14 PM
The answer to the question "Which tank can I take?" is, which ever one you like! You are able to take all three with nothing preventing this action.

Kassel
10-06-2011, 06:23 PM
WTF does "which tank can i take" mean.

bwe
10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
sham can hold aggro better than war

loopholbrook
10-08-2011, 01:45 AM
WTF does "which tank can i take" mean.

You know that feeling when you're eating cool ranch doritos, and you start swishing dr. pepper in your mouth, and it's all cheesy and goodness. Yeah, that's thenimicken.

Tappin
10-08-2011, 02:41 AM
cool ranch doritos