PDA

View Full Version : Yet another class selection topic

Selly
10-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Hi there, Just started here on p99 and I am curious to see what your guys opinions are on classes atm.

I played a Wiz on live years ago so i think i want to change it up a bit and play a non caster.

What Are your opinions between the 3 main tank role classes (War,SHD,PAL)
and some of the pro's / cons of each.

Also what do you think of some of the other melee dps / utility classes out there
(Looking at monk / Rogue )

I understand some are more gear dependant than others and pretty terrible solo wise. Also what seems to be lacking in most groups?

Seaweedpimp
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Again?

Did you even try to search?

Mbaulmer
10-05-2011, 11:14 PM
I understand some are more gear dependant than others and pretty terrible solo wise. Also what seems to be lacking in most groups?

Nothing is lacking in groups. I started here not that long ago, and with new people joining and lots of people making alts there isn't a class sorely lacking.

Play what you want, and have fun. Use the search function here and check out P99 wiki for info.

Overweight
10-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Hands down you should roll a Gnome SK. Seriously. Do it.

Aenor
10-06-2011, 04:39 AM
I will weigh in because I've actually learned a bit from the other threads. Apparently on P99 it is easier for Pallys to hold agro with flash of light or SKs with disease dot than it is for warriors until they get weaps with agro procs, i.e. Obsidian Shard, Yak etc. Warriors are very group dependent while SKs with invis and IVU are more independent.

However, hybrids have a 40% exp penalty which makes them less attractive to groups. Warriors get a small exp bonus so they level faster. Plus, crafted armor quests are easy to do and you shouldn't have any trouble getting someone to help you complete the langseaux quest at low level. Just create a lvl 1 barb and get the sweaty shirt, then find some high levels in WK that will follow the dog to the lvl 20-25 quest NPC and kill it and let you loot the head.

Consult this table to see the xp modifiers for all race class combos:

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Sortable_Race_Class_Matrix

As you can see, Troll SK's with a combined racial AND class XP penalty require 1.68 times as much xp to level as a baseline combo such as human cleric. Meanwhile a halfling warrior enjoys both a racial and class xp bonus and requires only 0.855 times as much XP to level as a baseline combo.

Bubbles
10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Paladins are pretty scarce (and fairly cheap to gear because of it). If you have your sights set on raiding, The only loot line even shorter than the Paladin line may be Ranger, and it's a dead heat.

Shaman is a nice mix of melee, healing, and buffing/debuffing.

Groups always need tanks and heals, those would be my recommendations.

As far as dps goes, Mages are dps incarnate, plus summons and dmg shields.. and they fit into any group composition to make it better. I know you said you wanted to stay away from casters, but a mage is kinda a fun way to do it.. Also you can get a pair of 5/55 rings and grind up the plat for your focus items and be set till level 51.

beentheredonethat
10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I think it will depend on what you do. On live I played a cleric and an SK. (Had other alts, but didn't find them enjoyable).
SK was probably the most entertaining to play, fun spells, could melee, could fear kite, etc... (Had HT for those fun moments). It was an Iksar SK, which although had lower stats made almost no difference at 50 considering I had higher AC and a cool look with greenmist.

Snaggles
10-06-2011, 01:10 PM
With something so open ended most of us could write you a novel let alone a guide.

Basically you may want to play 3-5 classes and want the differences between them and how the group dynamic works.

Tank

Warrior, SK, Pally

Melee DPS

Rogue, Monk, Ranger

Melee/Caster Oddity

Bard

Hybrids have exp penalties and spells to augment their abilities/versatility. Pure breeds have statistical advantages and who's performance greater is impacted by their gear.

For a casual group/gamer a hybrid makes a ton of sense. The spread between decent and uber is less important because a SK/Pal can hold aggro with a rusty weapon and lowbie spells. For a more intense gamer the pure melee's can't be touched on a min-max level with the right gear.

Ranger's are at a disadvantage because they can't tank with the likes of the tanks. They can't keep up with the DPS of the other melee dps. They walk a very odd path and have their utility but it can't be seen on a spreadsheet. Bard's are just frickin weird but are amazing in their own right.

I would go to the Wiki page and read the class descriptions. Look at the offense/defense caps and read the skills and spells.

Selly
10-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I believe i may go with monk and level an alt on the side when needed (rogue / necro).

I appreciate all the replies and i completely forgot about the race experience modifiers since i already knew about the class ones.

Monks from what i remember bring some fun mechanics when pulling / breaking camps and will be a general fun experience for me.

Selly
10-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Also What would be some good tips for early game cash ? Im thinking keep all of my bonechips to sell in stacks and save for a good fairly cheap starter weapon (in the 200p or so range)

Diggles
10-07-2011, 04:03 AM
bone chips, high quality pelts, greater light stones, all great sources

Vondra
10-07-2011, 05:40 PM
If you want to raise money from scratch you could do worse than heading to FP early.

Being in/near EC makes it a lot easier to move those pelts and bone chips etc. You'll probably end up with some handouts as well which of course helps.

Then you're right there to spend your money onsomething when you have enough. If you're playing in the zone you can watch the spam and see what allpeople are selling and for how much. Lots of mid level/extremely powerful for a newbie items end up being tossed out for 50p or less since people are just trying to get rid of the stuff and can't get a buyer.

On a less powergaming note, you'll also get to group extremely early without having to move much. You've got the orc camp in EC to start with, which almost always has a group...once you're outleveling that you've got the north ro groups which seem to be picking up lately. Beyond that is oasis which is almost always good for a group (usually several groups). It isn't the fastest leveling, but it's consistent and you'll meet lots of people.

Selly
10-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Yeah that has been my route so far .. Selling bonechips / pelts when i can .

Made a stop in CB decently too but will probably head back to pawn some belts atleast