PDA

View Full Version : Magician + Enchanter duo

necrosaurio
10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
I play an enchanter and a friend of mine is thinking of starting a magician. Is it a good duo?

From what I can see, we would have most of the required stuff:

1. Tank: Magician pet
2. DPS: Magician pet + enchanter pet + nukes (if required)
3. Heals: This is the weakest part of this pair but I think that the magician should be OK healing his pet.
4. Buffs: Enchanter: haste, strength, rune. Magician: DS, possibly others
5. Debuffs: Enchanter: slow. Magician: malo. Missing: snare
6. Crowd control: Enchanter, of course
7. Pulling: Enchanter. A bit squishy but it should suffice.
8. Rezz, summon: None whatsoever

Is there anything I am missing?

I also thought of suggesting a necro but it seems that the magician's pet is better suited to tanking and the ability to summon stuff is great, so I kind of prefer the magician.

pickled_heretic
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
I play an enchanter and a friend of mine is thinking of starting a magician. Is it a good duo?

From what I can see, we would have most of the required stuff:

1. Tank: Magician pet
2. DPS: Magician pet + enchanter pet + nukes (if required)
3. Heals: This is the weakest part of this pair but I think that the magician should be OK healing his pet.
4. Buffs: Enchanter: haste, strength, rune. Magician: DS, possibly others
5. Debuffs: Enchanter: slow. Magician: malo. Missing: snare
6. Crowd control: Enchanter, of course
7. Pulling: Enchanter. A bit squishy but it should suffice.
8. Rezz, summon: None whatsoever

Is there anything I am missing?

I also thought of suggesting a necro but it seems that the magician's pet is better suited to tanking and the ability to summon stuff is great, so I kind of prefer the magician.

mage isn't bad... mainly as an enchanter you're going to provide what the mage can't do which is CC. mage burnouts are generally superior to enchanter hastes. in the mid levels you will struggle to find a purpose for all of your mana, since you can't cast many spells on the mob or the mage pet will lose aggro. root is not an option if the mage is using a fire pet, the fire nuke breaks root quite frequently. i found myself chain casting rune/berserker strength on the mage pet to help mitigate damage.

imo the best synergizing classes with enchanter are necro/sham/druid. that way you can utilize charm more effectively and heal the enchanter a bit which is necessary when charming, especially in confined areas.

Lill-Leif
10-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Chanter + Necro:

1. Tank: Necro pet
2. DPS: Necro pet + enchanter pet + dots/nukes
3. Heals: Necro ghetto heal + pet heal
4. Buffs: Enchanter: haste, str, rune Necro: DMF and a bunch of utility
5. Debuffs: Enchanter: slow Necro: a bunch of minor debuffs AND SNARE
6. Crowd control: Enchanter and necro ghetto mez and snare
7. Pulling: Chanter and necro fd pull
8. Rezz and summon - no need, necros won't die.

Now make this a 11 page thread with the classic necro vs mage discussion!

Baa
10-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Enchanters are pretty amazing paired with most casters

bonehand
10-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Necro is a bad choice if done incorrectly...dots will break mezzes in tight spots, but fear kiting with a a hastened pet and a charmed blue or green make things go quickly.
Mage can use the root of the enchanter to DS kill, but as said, the haste is better from burnout...BUT, the enchanter can charm, mez and nuke!
Wizard would be a good root nuke partner. No heals, but with 2 people rooting and nuking nothing will last long and crack will make leveling quicker.
Cleric see wizard, but only when fighting undead - not a hard thing to find in EQ plus huge heals and buffs and I guess battle cleric is feasible with yaulp. And rez of course!
Druid, see wizard but with heals...though druid is most efficient with dots so see necro.
Shaman, see druid and cleric for + and -. Haste and buffs won't play here since neither will be tanking unless they have too, but the Shaman can take hits while the enc gets things under control.
Warrior - no heals, so lots of down time. Too much down time...did this on live and found I needed to 3box instead of 2box...should have rolled a shaman for my warrior.
Ranger, now we start having good results. The enc can haste, the ranger can take a hit and later can heal a little so haste and crack help damage and heals.
SK see ranger and necro for positives and negatives.
Pally see ranger with a touch of cleric for undead and rez later.
Monk monks become Cuisinart's with any haste, but much better with a shaman, still they can heal themselves to 100% with bandage and Mend, but that is risky. Still a monk can tank well enough and the buffs are awesome...enc will keep busy mezzing and nuking runners down.
Bard, a lot of overlap, but effective overlap. Bard + enc buffs stack very nicely. This could be a very good combo...like to hear people's views on this.
Lastly, there is rogue. No backstabing, no healing...rogue is a nice addition for a trio with a tank, but for a duo, only fear kiting uses a rogue to their fullest and enchanters don't generally do that without a snare...unless the enchanter wants to mez every time the backstab button comes back up, lol the rogue has to have a snare whip or some other toy - poison?

Anyway, that's my views...others will disagree because it's all about your play style. I duoed, trioed and more quite a few characters on Torvon. A duo has to have little overlap in damage, debuffs and buffs, heals and someone who can control the mob via tanking or root. A trio always has the requirements or simply doesn't need them any longer for many situations.

Bockscar
10-13-2011, 10:54 AM
The magician would be better off soloing, and the enchanter would be better off duoing with a cleric or druid. Mag+enc isn't an optimal duo.

pickled_heretic
10-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Wizard would be a good root nuke partner. No heals, but with 2 people rooting and nuking nothing will last long and crack will make leveling quicker.
Cleric see wizard, but only when fighting undead - not a hard thing to find in EQ plus huge heals and buffs and I guess battle cleric is feasible with yaulp. And rez of course!
Druid, see wizard but with heals...though druid is most efficient with dots so see necro.
Shaman, see druid and cleric for + and -. Haste and buffs won't play here since neither will be tanking unless they have too, but the Shaman can take hits while the enc gets things under control.

root and nuke is absolutely the slowest way to possibly kill. any duo with a cleric/druid/shaman should be charming. otoh, having the shaman tank is actually a great way to play if you want to buff and keep a lightblue/low dark blue charmed pet (preferably with backstab if you can find a rogue mob).

falkun
10-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Bone: If a bard is just trying to "get max fast", he's better off solo than with any other class. If a bard is trying to enjoy his time with a buddy in a duo, he compliments any other class well with his versatility.

formallydickman
10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I Duo'd with my brother from 1-45 as mage/enchanter combo and it was solid leveling all around. We leveled mostly in dungeons and killed as fast and as hard as we could. I feel like we had several minor problems, but only a few come to mind:

-the enchanter pet somehow managing to out aggro fire pets (which made the fire pet's DS useless) and getting raped

-the stun component on enchanter DD's made it nearly impossible to use it without getting aggro, even when the mob was at less than 25% health.

-since we were always leveling in med/high risk areas with no heals, per se, a bad CC resist or two was usually a death for the enchanter.

Around lvl 28 was when they had fixed enchanter stun durations, before that we just chain stunned everything and aggro didn't matter. Around level 35 it became obvious that the mage could solo at an equal pace as the duo, assuming he got crack regularly, and the enchanter should be joining groups, but we just plowed through it anyway because we had fun playing together. All in all, it was enjoyable and better than our shaman/mage duo from 6 months earlier.

Vondra
10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Ranger: Not the best choice, but I can actually give the nod to rangers here as being reasonable. Ranger snare + enc fear = fear kite, ranger can beat on the mobs while you can use a charmed mob for extra dps if you like. Ranger can top you off if you get hit some due to charm breaks etc. Clarity allows for those little top off heals to be available without lots of downtime.

Shaman: A good duo partner for just about anyone, enchanter included.

Necro and Magician: Arguable which is better for this, obviously both are effective partners.

Monk: This can be alright. Monks are reasonable at soloing, Haste and slow make you relevant. How good this is is gonna depend mostly on how geared the monk is.

SK: More fear kiting, haste the SK/pet dps. Clarity keeps things moving. Should be alright until higher levels, questionable then.

Paladin: Doable, shouldn't be particularly good though. Haste/Slow/pet dps. Clarity keeps things moving, paladin can root and heal if he needs to.

Wizard: Well wizards can quad and you could join in and help. Not really much synergy in the duo though. Better to save the wiz/enc stuff for real aoe groups. If you want to play solo charm enchanter with the wizard just helping out, you could do that too.

Warrior/Rogue: Bad choice.

Druid: Druids are often good duo partners and they are good here. Druid can ensnare and run the mob around forever while you pet dps it down, you can both use pets and have them tank it if animals are available, root/rot with clarity works, help out with quadding, quite a few things would work.

Cleric: Strong partner. Probably not the fastest for pure exp grinding, but as far as holding difficult camps or just seeing how much two people can do, this is amongst the best. Enc Charms, cleric keeps you alive without any real worry. With clarity unless charm is breaking a whole lot, cleric will have more than enough mana to do whatever.

Bard: Could certainly do this, but you'd have to work to make yourself relevant. Could be very effective.

Another enchanter: You can do this, it isn't so bad either. Play it like you're both soloing. Both of you kill with pets. When one charm breaks, help each other out to get things under control. Probably clunky at first until you learn to coordinate with each other. Slow the mobs. When one of your pets is about to eat it, break charm and kill it same as when solo...get another and continue.

Think that's all of them.

pickled_heretic
10-13-2011, 01:06 PM
p0st

i don't think mage and necro are on the same level of duoability, otherwise this is a pretty good post. i want to add that ranger/enchanter is actually a very strong combo outdoors and i would seek this combo more often if it weren't for the exp penalty. also, you can /duel your partner and he can root or snare your pet before you have to break charm.

Bockscar
10-13-2011, 01:15 PM
The power of a dru/enc duo is that the druid can keep the charmed pet perma-snared with the absurdly log duration of ensnare. This lets the enchanter safely charm much more powerful mobs and keep them hasted where this would otherwise mean automatic death on any charm break. This worked all the way up into fairly recent expansions - I remember doing it in Tipt and Vxed or whatever those GoD instances were called, charming mobs that quadded for 1100 per hit. Coupled with the decent healing and overall utility of the druid, it's a really solid duo. Cleric becomes better in Velious and onwards where you need CH to really heal the charmed pet noticeably, and you kinda need all three of these classes to truly exploit charm the way people did around 2003 or so. Technically you could just use enc/clr/rng which is what we did, but that's besides the point.

Snaggles
10-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Yea you're basically missing heals and snare.

I wouldn't discount the Necro yet. Yea the Mage has some perks over a Necro but plenty of disadvantages.

If you're talking about grinding mobs the mage/enchanter will rock. If you're talking killing REALLY nasty things you would be better off with a different combo. Just IMO, 2 cents, etc.

Kevlar
10-13-2011, 03:30 PM
enc dru is insane. Especially when charmed pets start doing ridiculous dps. 2 charmed dual wielding hasted pets just rape everything. And druids have the best utility for duo. Heals ports sow and evac. Evac is real nice once you get to places where everything summons.

Snaggles
10-13-2011, 03:44 PM
enc dru is insane. Especially when charmed pets start doing ridiculous dps. 2 charmed dual wielding hasted pets just rape everything. And druids have the best utility for duo. Heals ports sow and evac. Evac is real nice once you get to places where everything summons.

+1. One of the better teams now that I think of it. In Velious the Druid will get Chloroblast too which ain't CH but it ain't shabby.

beentheredonethat
10-13-2011, 06:35 PM
You guys will do pretty well. Mage and enchanter do awesome as a team. Did this on live for a while, worked out great.

You handle the roots and debuffs, mage handles the nukes and pet.

Splorf22
10-13-2011, 09:56 PM
My vote is for enchanter/cleric. Enc/Mage is in theory the most powerful duo available IF you know exactly what you are doing and nothing goes wrong [earth pet roots, malo for long charms, monster dps]. But cleric/enchanter is a lot more forgiving. Druids are good too, but only in the outdoors, and you want to pharm phat loots indoors.

Kevlar
10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
My vote is for enchanter/cleric. Enc/Mage is in theory the most powerful duo available IF you know exactly what you are doing and nothing goes wrong [earth pet roots, malo for long charms, monster dps]. But cleric/enchanter is a lot more forgiving. Druids are good too, but only in the outdoors, and you want to pharm phat loots indoors.

What are you talking about only in outdoors? Except for refreshing SOW everything a druid does works indoors. Ensnare is even more critical on pets when you can't use sow/jboots.

necrosaurio
10-14-2011, 06:17 AM
So, basically, a magician will PL my enchanter... tempting :)

I like the Ranger/Enchanter idea but I want to play a ranger and my friend seems to prefer casters.

Druid sounds like a great idea but, knowing my friend, I think that charming and healing is a bit beyond his abilities at the moment.

A magician is easier to play, so I will probably get him to create one and then let him decide if he enjoys it or not. If not, we'll try something else. Necro or Druid are the most attractive options.

necrosaurio
10-15-2011, 01:34 PM
In the end, after a lot of deliberation, my friend has decided to play a necro.

We're now trying to decide if he's gonna be playing Iksar or Dark Elf. I think that the exp penalty will make him choose dark elf (yay!).

Thanks a lot for your help.