PDA

View Full Version : server xp bonus

Sniperfire
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
we need some kinda of xp bonus no matter how small. with the added pvp exp loss and you most certainly will die to pve while pvping most live pvp servers had some bonus to reg exp to make up for this will this be implemented here?

Darwoth
10-14-2011, 10:32 AM
if you have a bonus it kind of nullifies the point of the xp loss to begin with, unless you are dirtnapping 10 times a day the xp loss is pretty much a nonfactor as is.

Envious
10-14-2011, 10:39 AM
we need some kinda of xp bonus no matter how small. with the added pvp exp loss and you most certainly will die to pve while pvping most live pvp servers had some bonus to reg exp to make up for this will this be implemented here?

QQ.

I say make it 0.5 the rate of P99

Sniperfire
10-14-2011, 11:01 AM
yes its totally QQ to ask if the xp will be increased to make up for more deaths than a blue server. try to be constructive

Lazortag
10-14-2011, 11:47 AM
yes its totally QQ to ask if the xp will be increased to make up for more deaths than a blue server. try to be constructive

Confirmed vztz noob who can't handle classic. Confirmed.

Lovely
10-14-2011, 11:59 AM
The whole point with a PVP server is that it's not gonna be as easy as PVE server. So why should we change something so it's equal?

Mardur
10-14-2011, 12:00 PM
The game is still fun at level 5, 30, or 50, so I don't see what the problem is even if they make the exp .05x

Sniperfire
10-14-2011, 12:01 PM
well live pvp servers had xp bonuses upon release. so as far as pvp servers go xp bonus is classic.

Softcore PK
10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
It's supposed to be harder to live on a pvp server. They shouldn't give an exp bonus to try to make up for this.

Sniperfire
10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
i have no problem with slow xp besides the fact that it might run some people off. i think a very slight bonus would help keep some of the rage quitters on the server

Softcore PK
10-14-2011, 12:03 PM
well live pvp servers had xp bonuses upon release. so as far as pvp servers go xp bonus is classic.

No, they didn't. Except for sullon.

Pudge
10-14-2011, 12:11 PM
sullon had exp bonus because................... sullon was the server with exp death from pvp

Nerfbat
10-14-2011, 12:28 PM
inb4 Harrison's obligatory "stop crying post"

Darwoth
10-14-2011, 12:32 PM
sullons xp loss was full xp loss as if from a mob, here xp loss is maybe a third of that. dont see the need for all this shit people are bitching about, blah blah no pvp until level 10, blah blah faster xp because it will be so hard to level, blah blah rules governing every concievable stupid fucking thing, blah blah cut the pvp range in half.

all of the people this shit caters to will be gone in 2 - 4 weeks regardless, so the rest of us end up with a watered down version of what we wanted in an effort to accomodate those who aren't part of the server anyway.

Dontmez_Mebro
10-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Blah blah blah..."I can't rape noobs 8 levels lower than me boo hoo" blah blah blah. "I'm the only real player these are all noobs who's opinions don't matter who vote on polls" blah blah blah.

Macken
10-14-2011, 12:36 PM
all of the people this shit caters to will be gone in 2 - 4 weeks regardless, so the rest of us end up with a watered down version of what we wanted in an effort to accomodate those who aren't part of the server anyway.

Calm down bro.

That's too much wisdom or experience for this community and/or staff.

Bockscar
10-14-2011, 12:49 PM
By which you mean it's too much sensationalist reactionary bullshit pulled directly from the depths of his ass?

lethdar
10-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Normal p99 xp is fine, people aren't going to rage quit when it takes 6 bats instead of 5 to ding lvl 2.

Palemoon
10-14-2011, 12:52 PM

NO, not classic

play wow if you want fast xp

zixxer
10-14-2011, 01:02 PM
sullons xp loss was full xp loss as if from a mob, here xp loss is maybe a third of that. dont see the need for all this shit people are bitching about, blah blah no pvp until level 10, blah blah faster xp because it will be so hard to level, blah blah rules governing every concievable stupid fucking thing, blah blah cut the pvp range in half.

Well said

lindz
10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Sullon's xp loss on pvp was rezzable though, this server is not. Sullon also onlyhave pvp loss on a +/-5 range whereas we have the dynamic range which can be far far more than that.

I don't think it is at all ridiculous to have an exp bonus (like Sullon) that helps promote pvp on the server. People are more likely to want to pvp if their grinding won't be nullified by it. 20% is not unreasonable.

tbox
10-14-2011, 01:20 PM
If you compare this server to p1999 without taking pvp in to comparison it was said that people will level even slower because the SoLA quests gave too much xp when p1999 went live.

I think it would be reasonable to increase the xp slightly. If this server is going to be home to just the zt zy long term players its dead just like every other vz tz box. There is also the issue of big releases come up in Nov- Q1 2012 that will impact the population some. If the fresh blood is frustrated with the xp rate they are more apt to go and buy new release X.

Palemoon
10-14-2011, 01:37 PM
So you are saying with all the fixed quests, it will be even more classic at this servers launch then blue99? Good, thats why we are all here. No sense with ruining all those bug fixes by throwing on a WoW style xp bonus on top of us.

Tumdumm
10-14-2011, 01:43 PM
sometimes i camp with less exp in my bar than when i started the night

thats called a bad night. shit happens!

The game is still fun at level 5, 30, or 50, so I don't see what the problem is even if they make the exp .05x

exactly

Sniperfire
10-14-2011, 01:44 PM
its funny to me all these hard core responses everyone talking about wow etc and 1/2 of you have already quit beta wtf you @ bros

Softcore PK
10-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Hmm. Now I'm wondering why they decided to make pvp death unrezzable. As a cleric, I would like to be able to do this for people.

Sarkov
10-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Agreed. Really ought to have pvp death be full xp loss, but also rezzable, same as SZ.

Don't really care about xp bonus one way or the other. It would be nice as a means to keep people playing, since I imagine more than one person is going to get frustrated and quit when they eat a few pvp deaths instead of making leveling progress in a given night. But I don't think we need it.

Dalem
10-14-2011, 03:05 PM
If in classic the server which had exp loss also had an exp bonus why wouldn't it be implemented here?

Sarkov
10-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Because this server is a custom server, Rogean's vision of what pvp in 99 "ought" to have been, not a port of an existing classic pvp ruleset.

gankstar1868
10-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Stop trying to be the toughest most bad ass EQ pvpers to ever live.

You aren't.

You're just being an idiot.

I would rather have 500 people than 50 if the xp bonus would help them stay.

You have to think for the server health and how to keep a majority than to please a minority.

XP bonus will help keep all the players that come back to enjoy it and forgot the hard parts because the good memories are the only things that stuck. It happened to me. I came back to blue99 after not playing since like pop came out and was pretty pissed a lot of the time when i would die and lose like 3 hours worth of work because mobs run 2x faster than i do.

XP bonus = good and allows MORE players to play rather than LESS

i would bet doors life that there would be no more than 1 person that quits because of an XP bonus.

Bockscar
10-14-2011, 03:17 PM
If someone thinks the server will die because it doesn't have a 20% XP bonus, they're probably just worried that they won't hit 50 before the world ends in 2012.

Dalem
10-14-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't think anyone can know what will be the result of implementing it on the population. I don't particularly want an exp bonus, I'm just confused as to why a classic feature which is not abusable (such as egg-shaped pumice or pickpocketing dragons) is even being debated and not just being implemented. Which is the same reason why I wouldn't think they should entertain the idea of removing hybrid or race exp penalties.

Sarkov
10-14-2011, 03:27 PM
@gankstar, your argument is kind of a slippery slope. The goal is not to put out a product that has the greatest mass appeal, the goal is to put out a classic pvp server. I imagine most people would agree one of the requirements for a classic pvp server is "it takes a long time to level."

Nirgon
10-14-2011, 04:58 PM
There's really only a penalty for death, not a chance of a reward. People will just start destroying coin just like bagging gear. FYI destroying coin much faster / way easier. Loss in death is going to result in people quitting way more than items having that effect. You have start on this server and barely have an item to your name and risk/suffer the exact some loss as some griefer twink. I don't think it works pals, bunch of scareds up in here re: item loot.

Amuk
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Once I finally hit 46 on my warrior and wanted to camp some fbss/yaks uber guk loot for him, I went down to guk and did a camp check. A solo necro had FBSS locked down and a group was at Lord. I logged off, came back on the next day and said camp check, FBSS was being solod by a necro and there was a group at Lord, I went to royals and got up to 47, went back to guk and guess what - the same virgin necro was still at FBSS, and a group was still at lord. I probably repeated this for another week before I quit the server - saying there's no reward in pvp tells me you've never gotten to the higher levels on p99.

Mardur
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
There's really only a penalty for death, not a chance of a reward.

You're missing the point of EQ PvP completely and probably shouldn't even play here. This isn't fucking WoW where you kill people for points to buy armor. The reward for killing someone is eliminating an interloper. Camp / region / zone control, hindering an enemy player/guild, etc.

EQ is realistic in everything including PvP. If you're at war and you shoot someone dead, someone doesn't instantly hand you $1,000. The reward is knowing you took out someone whose goal is to take out you.

Dojii
10-14-2011, 05:33 PM
meh XP is XP. keeping it classic is the best idea. XP death on PVP death is not "classic" PVP rules at all. Sullon Zek Wasn't released for years after VZ/TZ/RZ (the "classic pvp" servers)

Classic original PVP servers started PVP at level 6. XP was classic. XP death only resulted from dying to mobs. I'm not sure if originally you lost XP for drowning for falling to death....but I remember only losting XP to monster deaths.

Darwoth
10-14-2011, 05:35 PM
the level 6 before pvp is not classic, i had a delevelled newbiekiller that i kept at 6 in skyshrine (velious) armor.

Harrison
10-14-2011, 05:42 PM
We need more fresh viewpoints about experience rate QQs. I think another dozen threads should cut it.

Also:
i had a delevelled newbiekiller that i kept at 6 in skyshrine (velious) armor.
Admitting to exploiting, however widely used, gives me a good idea on why your bug reports are so full of dumb.

Dojii
10-14-2011, 05:44 PM
the level 6 before pvp is not classic, i had a delevelled newbiekiller that i kept at 6 in skyshrine (velious) armor.

You sure? I did a ton of low range PVP.... but it was always around lvl 6-15. I would wait on my friend enchanter in wood elf form but I was a gnome. So on VZ my tag was yellow to the elves running out from trains in crushbone.

they would zone out low life and I would just nuke them and get rage tells "You're hacking how can a fucking elf kill another elf".

I'd also have a emote key I'd run up to kids and I'd click it said.

Laeli has stolen 7 platinum pieces from YOU!!! and they would follow me around talking shit saying give me my money back hahahaha.. but yea well then if its not level 6 to PVP. then amen. PVP at level 1?

Sarkov
10-14-2011, 05:57 PM
People that respond to things like deleveld PKs with anything other than "lol thats rad" just don't get the pvp server experience at all. Yeah it "sucks" to have one of them backstab you for billions at level 9, but there's a certain comedy about that kind of thing that you need to get to really enjoy EQ pvp at all, I think.

Righteous Indignation is a waste of effort.

"Caring is an EV tragedy"
-Zvi Moshowitz

Harrison
10-14-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't cheat. Widely accepted or not.

Sarkov
10-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes but you see, the comedy is in the whole "Kobe Bryant vs. the Middelton West Junior High School Basketball Squad" thing. Its hilarious to watch. If you respond to that mental image with a sputtering "BUT, BUT IT WOULDNT BE FAIR!!!"... I just don't think you get it.

Harrison
10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry, I'm not twelve. I have a competitive spirit and don't need ego fluffing via exploitation and cheats.

Darwoth
10-14-2011, 06:04 PM
yeah was level 1, have some great screenshots somewhere of my level 6 newbkiller chopping through 30+ level 2 - 10 newbies. every time a carebear server would crash RZ would get a mass wave of bored bluebies in the newbie zones.

so when a level 6 in shiny new velious graphic gear and skyfire sword/sarnak shield is standing in front of the gate an hour long war would ensue between my basically invincible newbkiller and the entire zone trying to score a kill and loot something unaware it was all no drop.

was a lot of fun

Sarkov
10-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Comedy is an end unto itself.

No one deleveld an alt for the noble competitive spirit of the thing.

The lulz.

Dontmez_Mebro
10-14-2011, 06:06 PM
It's not funny so much as it is pathetic.

Lovely
10-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Why do people say that more people would play with an XP bonus? Do you have any proof of that? Me personally would quit if there was a big xp bonus. Then I'd rather go play WoW or some other MMO.

Darwoth
10-14-2011, 06:13 PM
It's not funny so much as it is pathetic.

i bathe in and savor your disapproval

jilena
10-14-2011, 06:15 PM
For once I agree with Darwoth almost completely. His first post, not how exploiting delevelling was fun.

All the people who are crying about XYZ rule or playstyle or saying shit like THE SERVER WILL FUCKING DIE FOREVER IF YOU MAKE IT THIS WAY are not going to be playing on this server within 1 month of release. So hopefully Nilbog, Rogean, Jesus, or whoever gets to make decisions will ignore any such talk.

The reality is this. They could implement ANY system of PvP they wanted, item loot, coin loot, exp loss, 100% ffa, or pretty much anything short of permadeath and have a reasonable crowd because Red99 will be the ONLY quality classic everquest pvp experience you can get. There is no other EQ experience like P1999 and even if it's far from perfect it is still the best there is in that regard. The same will go for this server. The people who really love EQ PvP will accept just about any ruleset to have that experience again. So everyone crying that OMG DOOOM GLOOM BLAH BLAH BLAH QQQQQQQQQQ is pretty much talking out their ass.

If you don't like a rule or idea, please propose another one. Claiming some sort of oracular ability that give you and only you the ability to know what's best for the server is silly and makes you look ridiculous.

Sarkov
10-14-2011, 06:17 PM
@ Lovely, I think the point is that people will need to feel a general sense of progress. If it is too hard to level up on the server, people will just quit. An xp bonus helps offset the sting of losing xp progress to pvp death.

I don't really care one way or the other, again. But the idea that, over time, the population would stabilize at a lower number with zero xp bonus vs. a slight bonus makes sense to me. And FWIW I agree that a very high xp bonus would cause a lot of disinterest as well, for obvious reasons.

valithteezee
10-14-2011, 06:17 PM
/play GONNA BE 120 days for level 50 BREWS GET READY

jilena
10-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Also, I have 3 50+ characters on P99. The slowest to level (coincidentally my first character) took about a month of moderately heavy play (I had a full time job but was single at the time.) I think my necro took something like 2.5-3 weeks? *shrug*

valithteezee
10-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Also, I have 3 50+ characters on P99. The slowest to level (coincidentally my first character) took about a month of moderately heavy play (I had a full time job but was single at the time.) I think my necro took something like 2.5-3 weeks? *shrug*

One month, that's it?

Took me a lot longer than that on live that's for sure... Also PVP makes it a wee bit harder to level.

Dojii
10-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Meh i'm not adamant about any one thing myself. Just that the server is made with quality care and not going to be just released and penetrated in every orface by item / plat / dupers / hax.

besides server quality my only preference would be that it stays classic in XP and XP deaths. I can handle losing XP on a PVP death because I will grind XP fast as anyone and have 50 maxed ready to burst, but. Xp death on PVP death isn't classic.

I think the 6 Level before PVP would be nice for those new and transitioning to PVP so they can at least get some stuff before they get attacked by zerging nerds. But in this case since I want to keep classic. PVP at level 1? or 2? is fine... w/e...

Evoken
10-14-2011, 06:37 PM
What was your /played on the necro?

jilena
10-14-2011, 06:50 PM
I don't remember to be honest. I made it only to farm gear for my 3rd 50 which was a ranger. I can't check now because he has hundreds of hours spent farming FBSSs and such. I would probably guess 6-8 days /played but I didn't really just go crazy solo grinding. I like to group and whenever I could find one levelled in dungeons (mistmoore/sol b). Also it was spring 2010 so it's been a while.

I should say moderately heavy play for me is ~6-12 hours a day.

Valithteezee: I honestly don't know if P99 was faster, or if I am just WAY more hardcore of a player than I was on live. It took me FOREVER to hit 50 on live.

Scribbles
10-14-2011, 07:16 PM
pve so boring

Palemoon
10-14-2011, 07:38 PM
pve so boring

There is a game called "Guildwars" that you dont really have to level or PvE in, just PvP. You might like it.

jilena
10-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Guild Wars makes me sad. And guild wars 2 gets even more undeserved hype than SWTOR. All games with PvP that is "staged" (and yes I include DAoC in this because you PvP in a giant gd battleground not in "the world") is only fun in small doses. If I wanted to play team death match I'd totally rock an FPS not an RPG.