PDA

View Full Version : Druid charming in perma pits

oddibemcd
10-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm getting close to lvl 54, which I have gathered is the level when charm-soloing in the permafrost pits becomes viable. Does anyone have tips on the best way to go about this and not die? I have done more quad-kiting to level than charming, so I probably need a little practice. Where is the best place to practice so I have enough difficulty to learn, but not enough that I am gating out every other pull? Would raptors suffice?

I've been in perma for a couple of Vox raids, but never explored the pits extensively. Is there a safe spot to pull to and have a pet wait? Should I be moving with the pet and trying to clear systematically? Should I just reroll a necro if I want to kill with a pet?

YendorLootmonkey
10-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Ask Dexs.

Daldaen
10-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Goal of druid charm is never for your pet to do DPS. If you think that is what you are trying to do give up.

Your goal is to get your pet dead and break invis at 5%. So what I do in bear pits is grab a pet, sic it on 1-2 mobs. Root the 1-2 mobs, then pull 1-2 more and root them all on top of each other. When my pet is fighting 4 mobs he dies quick. Cast Invis around 10%, it lands around 5-2%. Charm a new pet and sic it on the weak mob. If the weak mob isn't rooted, root it to get your 1 damage in to max your exp or toss ES Vambrace click.

Rinse Repeat.

When I do it, I clear out the 2 bear cave with injured PHers, 4 bear cave, the 2 wolf cave and another 4-5 spawns around. If you have specific questions about getting down into bear pit or how to do it send me a tell. I'm camped out there as I expect to grind 57-60 there shortly once I get motivated :P.

Auvdar
10-17-2011, 10:14 PM
What Daldaen said basically. You will also want to bind yourself down there, since the getting down part is half way annoying and you will want to be able to gate out and SoW yourself at points.

I would always start up top, near the ladder. Snare the pathing wolf, savage spirit, sick on the spider near the ladder. ES Vambs the spider, sit and med till dead, then sick my pet on spider in the little cove nearby. Once that happens, my pet is usally ~10%, break invis, run up the ladder, pull down the single wolf up top, make him new pet, kill old pet. Rinse repeat this whole idea all the way in the cave.

Tip, mobs will path UP the ramp that leads to the lower and upper halfs, but they wont path down. That includes pets. I'm sure they will finally come down sooner or later, but I have no idea how they path around. In other words, if you are up top, and you still have a good pet, you need to pull a lower area mob up the ramp since your pet will not go down the ramp safely.

Otherwise, just go do it. There is a safe spot you can bind down there, and expect to die once or twice learning it. Once you get a pattern down, it will be cake. If you can manage to get down there solo, you have enough skill to exp down there :P

Daldaen
10-18-2011, 12:28 PM
I do it differently than Auvdar. I don't bind there, <3 firepots. I've learned how to get down there through druid voodoo magic.

Secondly I almost NEVER snare anything while killing. Root is more important. It counts as your 1 damage too $$.

Thirdly I almost never use Savage spirit, as I said earlier goal is for your pet to die not for it to kill anything. If I'm FM I will use DS on my pet so that it wears down some of the rooted mobs that are beating on him, since they will be my new pets shortly.

Fourthly I try to have 3-4 mobs on aggro at all times. 1v1 is too slow, safer but still too slow for me to deal with lol. Having 3-4 mobs rooted on a pet at the same time is win.

aresprophet
10-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I do it differently than Auvdar. I don't bind there, <3 firepots. I've learned how to get down there through druid voodoo magic.

Secondly I almost NEVER snare anything while killing. Root is more important. It counts as your 1 damage too $$.

Thirdly I almost never use Savage spirit, as I said earlier goal is for your pet to die not for it to kill anything. If I'm FM I will use DS on my pet so that it wears down some of the rooted mobs that are beating on him, since they will be my new pets shortly.

Fourthly I try to have 3-4 mobs on aggro at all times. 1v1 is too slow, safer but still too slow for me to deal with lol. Having 3-4 mobs rooted on a pet at the same time is win.

I clear the entire pit in a spawn cycle by using Savage Spirit and Shield of Thorns to allow my pet to kill 2 mobs right around the time it hits 5% health. Each spawn point has a specific-level mob that will pop (one spawn can be one of two mob types) so getting the right one each time is important; too high and charm will break too much, especially at 54-55, but if you don't manage the fight properly (using ES Vambs, mostly) it'll die too fast.

As you can see there are several ways to fight effectively down there, just try stuff until you get a method that works for you. It's not like you won't be killing thousands of mobs, trying something different for a few dozen isn't going to slow you down too much if it turns out to suck.

Auvdar
10-18-2011, 10:32 PM

lol PM me your secret since the only way I could figure out how to get down was to use bind ;) Besides, never cared about being bound at Firepots on the druid.

With ES Arms and Gloves, I could snare and DoT for free. Savage spirit costs very little and speeds everything up, thorns is also nice and I used it a lot. With SS and Thorns my pet could kill 2 mobs in a row, then afterwards it would be down to less than 10%, drop pet. But for me, being sowed and having everything snared/rooted gave me that "at least im safe if something goes wrong" (read: didn't always happen) feeling.

But just go do it, you will find your own tactic. I still say, esp. if you don't have the Firepot bind spot. I honestly can't think of any real reason I would keep my druid bound at the Firepots at 60. Maybe to check faydedar I guess.

But I did spend 55 - 60 there. Should be fine at 54, charm just may break a bit more. And charm breaks = your biggest hit to mana down there.

Auvdar
10-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Just to add, you can also try using fear down there too. Did that for a while, but the pathing is so terribad it gets annoying and I ended up just sticking to my normal method.

oddibemcd
10-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the tips. Getting down there seems to be the first big obstacle I face. Picking up the spells I need for charming is probably the second obstacle.

How do people evade the giants? Is having someone train them away the only real way to do it?

Fountree
10-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Decent if you know the pathing well. Otherwise prepare for ice giants to fall from the ceiling onto your head and smash you into a pulp...or for mobs to path through walls and bring back friends. Oh, and the worst CR of your life. For me, it just wasn't worth it

Dweed
10-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Decent if you know the pathing well. Otherwise prepare for ice giants to fall from the ceiling onto your head and smash you into a pulp...or for mobs to path through walls and bring back friends. Oh, and the worst CR of your life. For me, it just wasn't worth it

Never once had anything aggro through the floor. Only pathing issue could be if you ignore that pets/mobs can't follow you down the middle ramp of the pits. Long as you work around this, z-axis adds should be a non-issue.