PDA

View Full Version : Item Stacking Issue, Exploit

Rogean
04-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Basically, the Item stacking issue created an exploit that was allowing people to sell the same item to a merchant over and over without the item being removed from their inventory.

The good thing is we have logs for merchant interactions, and in this particular case it will be very easy for us to catch those who abused it because the logs actually show the variable that was causing the inventory removal to fail. We brought the server down and will be taking about an hour to go through the logs and catch the large cases of abuse and track the money trail and ban the accounts.

I will update this news post as we progress.

Server up

bionicbadger
04-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Why not ban those IP addresses as well?

Toad
04-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Hopefully this will only be bans for people that abused this.

I think I accidentally sold one or two items twice, trying to figure out if it was fixed or not.... I don't want to be banned.

frediveli
04-04-2010, 12:38 AM
so servers going down for an hour on a saturday night...

DevGrousis
04-04-2010, 12:39 AM
daaaamn couldnt wait til later tonight? if its that easy to catch the people who did it why not wait til we are out of peak time. wanted to spend an hour catchin up before i went out ;(

Xebarsis
04-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Well, if any of my friends mysteriously vanish after this point I'll know what happened..

Atennu
04-04-2010, 12:44 AM
so servers going down for an hour on a saturday night...

Good thing you paid your $15.00 monthly subscription

JayFiveAlive
04-04-2010, 12:44 AM
They often patch on Saturday night... nothing out of the ordinary! I can't wait for this patch. :)

Audacious93c
04-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Hey Rogean, you said that you were bringing down the server to patch it today before this whole stacking issue was explained to you. What was entailed within that patch? Anything worth mentioning?...

Somekid123
04-04-2010, 12:46 AM
I bet a large # of a specific guild will be banned, typically exploits like this is kept in a little private circle.

Phineas
04-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Are you guys really bitching about them taking the servers down on the weekend?

These guys have jobs. Weekends are probably when they have the most free time.

Seriously, until they start charging (which they won't) stfu.

~r

Shamaeso
04-04-2010, 12:54 AM
I am just curious how many get banned since a lotof people been buying stuff all week :>

Anladar
04-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey Rogean, you said that you were bringing down the server to patch it today before this whole stacking issue was explained to you. What was entailed within that patch? Anything worth mentioning?...

There was a patch earlier today, but that didn't have to do with the Stacking Item Issue/Exploit. After the server came back Rogean and the team figured out the problem and brought it down again to fix it

whitebandit
04-04-2010, 12:59 AM
yeah i saw some people buying Crazy amounts of expensive gear the last couple weeks.. should be interesting..

Ghaz
04-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Maybe this is why the auction channel has been stagnant lately...

Akim
04-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Good riddance!
Bans for the lot.

fastboy21
04-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Wow...good luck catching the exploiters. I can't begin to imagine how you can unravel such a big mess, so you get my thumbs up just for trying...i mean, there must have been dozens of high end items bought and resold using exploit money...and then the "laundered" money being used to buy other items...crazy.

Anyways, if there are folks who clearly took advantage of this to make tons of pp they should be banned. Its ass-hattery, and deserves a good spanking.

Audacious93c
04-04-2010, 01:13 AM
There was a patch earlier today, but that didn't have to do with the Stacking Item Issue/Exploit. After the server came back Rogean and the team figured out the problem and brought it down again to fix it

Not flaming you, but I kind of did say "Before this whole stacking issue" within that post. Which is why I was asking what exactly was patched... :rolleyes:

Anladar
04-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Bah! sorry, I'm tired =\

cameroncoolcarter
04-04-2010, 01:21 AM
i noticed lots of people wanting to buy diamonds, lol

Gibcarver
04-04-2010, 01:22 AM
since people made mass amounts of cash and drained the market wound we as a server lose a bunch of items from the bans? The GMs could have some kind of community auction for all their stuff, it would be fun :)

Yaknow, like a police auction?

-Gor

Cowboy
04-04-2010, 01:22 AM
i noticed lots of people wanting to buy diamonds, lol

AH yes, now that you mention it... there were a lot of people suddenly interested in diamonds. D'oh! They're screwed ^^;

Cowboy
04-04-2010, 01:23 AM
since people made mass amounts of cash and drained the market wound we as a server lose a bunch of items from the bans? The GMs could have some kind of community auction for all their stuff, it would be fun :)

Yaknow, like a police auction?

-Gor

Translation:

Hey, even though the guys cheating to get items for free are getting banned, I still want things for free in a more "fun" and community fashion without getting banned.

LazyFuj
04-04-2010, 01:24 AM
so,.. what happens to the items that were bought with this exploited money? Assuming money gets wiped out, and player that was selling item will get said item back?

Gibcarver
04-04-2010, 01:26 AM
auctions aren't free. There is alot of extra money in the server that has gone to dozens of innocent people. An auction held by the GMs would counter the inflation this bug caused without punishing the innocent victims that sold items to players for exploited platinum.(not knowing that the platinum was dirty)
-Gor

derus
04-04-2010, 01:32 AM
I'll admit it. I couldnt help my self. At first i thought ill just make a couple k to get some twink gear to get revenge on them damn WC dervs but when I saw that manastone for sale and I knew I would never get a second chance to get one, I just had to have it... I became a vender exploiting hore after that.. I know what I did was wrong. Please dont delete my toon.. Cant ya give a lowly druid a second chance? Trash the plat, I didnt earn it. But please dont trash my toon. All and all I understand if I get permanently banned, I did break the rules but I just hope I can still play. For what its worth I am truly sorry.

Espada
04-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Public auction of confiscated goods? Bah, you make it sound like cops and robbers, there's enough of that crap in RL, that I'm trying to escape thru gaming BTW.

It's much more fun to watch the GMs smite down the infidels like the Gods of Old!
Even leaves that Ozone, BBQ pork smell behind.

Espada

Lickum
04-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Make a list of the banned offenders! I want to see who they were!!!

Rogean
04-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Server should be up in 20-30 Minutes.

Xebarsis
04-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Make a list of the banned offenders! I want to see who they were!!!

I second this; if any of my friends are gone forever I want to know.

fastboy21
04-04-2010, 01:37 AM
I'll admit it. I couldnt help my self. At first i thought ill just make a couple k to get some twink gear to get revenge on them damn WC dervs but when I saw that manastone for sale and I knew I would never get a second chance to get one, I just had to have it... I became a vender exploiting hore after that.. I know what I did was wrong. Please dont delete my toon.. Cant ya give a lowly druid a second chance? Trash the plat, I didnt earn it. But please dont trash my toon. All and all I understand if I get permanently banned, I did break the rules but I just hope I can still play. For what its worth I am truly sorry.

ban.

this is nothing but a plea of a man who knows he is already caught. he wouldn't be admitting anything if he could have gotten away with it...he'd be running around clicking his manastone while the rest of the honest community suffered the price inflation. selfish man=ban.

flex
04-04-2010, 01:38 AM
An auction held by the GMs would counter the inflation this bug caused without punishing the innocent victims that sold items to players for exploited platinum.(not knowing that the platinum was dirty)
-Gor

Wow only in EQ can there be dirty plat :rolleyes:...what we are missing now is a mound of blow on the coffee table...:D

goodthink
04-04-2010, 01:39 AM
I stopped playing my paid sub in aoc because of rampant cheating and exploits. I really wish people would just stop cheating and when/if they find an exploit they report it instead of trying to get a head of everyone.

Just ban the IPs of the people who did the most, ban the accounts of those who did it a bit.

I can't even begin to imagine how much work it would be to track the pp as it moved across the server. I would imagine the easiest fix would be IP bans, account deletions and a server rollback.

President
04-04-2010, 01:42 AM
ban.

this is nothing but a plea of a man who knows he is already caught. he wouldn't be admitting anything if he could have gotten away with it...he'd be running around clicking his manastone while the rest of the honest community suffered the price inflation. selfish man=ban.

DUDE CHECK POST COUNTS - U GOT PWNED

Espada
04-04-2010, 01:43 AM
If you have a real sense of firm justice, before you ban an account, summon the player to you, let him watch as you destroy his manastone, then let Pain and Suffering hit him for 30K.

frediveli
04-04-2010, 01:47 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/23m7tjd.jpg

Audacious93c
04-04-2010, 01:50 AM
lol, i hate him Frediveli. But thats a good Gif :D

Eastwood
04-04-2010, 01:51 AM
a picture says a thousand words,

That shit sums up this whole fiasco :)

Intricus
04-04-2010, 01:51 AM
...I'm pretty sure if anyone that did this donated generously enough, they will be given a slap on the wrist. Of course anyone who hasn't donated will be banned. :D

Belenos
04-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Don't mess around with Rogean's money, bitches

Finawin
04-04-2010, 01:56 AM
We need a thread full of account names, and the characters within that got banned. This would also spread word if these people show back up within the community through other means.

Slake
04-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Frediveli, i dont know who you are in game...but dude..that .gif made me laugh my ass off at work and cheer for you.

Free SoW's/buffs for you and your alts for life sir.

Paok

MogManX44
04-04-2010, 01:59 AM
bwahaahahahaha, dumbasses, hey free money from the npcs, this won't get me banned.....

Ghaz
04-04-2010, 02:03 AM
We need a thread full of account names, and the characters within that got banned. This would also spread word if these people show back up within the community through other means.

Seconded!

Dac321
04-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Withdrawls... agh! :P

Webwolf
04-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Yeah I wanna see a Hall of Shame.

rsynweap84
04-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Hahahah! Bye bye you ass cheatin' fucks! :D The world will be more pleasant without you! Though, :D I have to admit I would enjoy seeing there accounts wiped and deleted and allowing them to experience the pleasure of noobism all over again, but oh well, fuck em' anyways...hahaha, oh and that lowly druid guy beggin' for forgiveness....ummm...well ya' read the post, ya' knew ya' was caught, ya' made yer bed, and are about to get fucked in it, oh well, have a nice life cheater. :P

Wonder how many high profile guild members decided to exploit with them high end loots, should be a very interestin' day indeed!:cool:

Xebarsis
04-04-2010, 02:07 AM
You guys are grinning now, until you discover these exploiters are your friends, guild mates, etc.

Macroz
04-04-2010, 02:08 AM
That *.gif is GOLD.

Espada
04-04-2010, 02:10 AM
I've known people who were my friends but made bad choices. When they make them bad enough they cease to be your friend. Would you want to stay friends with someone who would destroy what you enjoy?

MogManX44
04-04-2010, 02:10 AM
well said Espada

nick
04-04-2010, 02:11 AM
I've known people who were my friends but made bad choices. When they make them bad enough they cease to be your friend. Would you want to stay friends with someone who would destroy what you enjoy?

This.

buffug
04-04-2010, 02:13 AM
I say ban the IP addresses.

Oh wait...i may have sold an extra bat wing...

Murferoo
04-04-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm not big on Hall of Shame type activity, but I think the exploiters should be named as well. This is a small community, if anything, hopefully it will shame (some) people in the future from not engaging in such crap. I think it would also be some vindication (even it it is a bit of a mob mentality) for the player base that tries to play by the rules and respect this place.

Gorgetrapper
04-04-2010, 02:16 AM
WITCH HUNT!

Intricus
04-04-2010, 02:16 AM
You know I can't help but wonder if this whole thing was a pre-planned set up. Kind of like a cop who purposely drops a $10 bill on the ground in a populated area, just to catch someone in the act of picking it up and keeping it, instead of asking others if they dropped it, and arresting anyone who keeps it for robbery...

Espada
04-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Witch hunts are loosely founded. When you sell a stack of 324,523,213 batwings, you should have realized something was wrong.

Pikle
04-04-2010, 02:19 AM
I don't think they have time to set up Sting operations here, I assume it was an error in the code that then they found out what was wrong, then realized people were abusing it.

gimper42
04-04-2010, 02:19 AM
There is no law against picking up money off the ground. Unless it is flying out of the back of an armored car.

Aggy
04-04-2010, 02:21 AM
First it was:
...I'm pretty sure if anyone that did this donated generously enough, they will be given a slap on the wrist. Of course anyone who hasn't donated will be banned. :D
and then its this:
You know I can't help but wonder if this whole thing was a pre-planned set up. Kind of like a cop who purposely drops a $10 bill on the ground in a populated area, just to catch someone in the act of picking it up and keeping it, instead of asking others if they dropped it, and arresting anyone who keeps it for robbery...

I don't know, but I'm kind of getting the feeling you have an extremely low opinion of the people who are making this game available to you free of charge.

Speed
04-04-2010, 02:22 AM
I'd really like to see a "who fucked up" thread as well... just because I want to laugh at those along with not associate with those who did use this exploit.

frediveli
04-04-2010, 02:24 AM

wtf, is that the best entrapment scenario you could come up with?

Vyal
04-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Where is Image The Gimp when you need him?

Axion
04-04-2010, 02:25 AM
expose them and show what guild they were in....

-Axion / Action

-The Combine-
-Realm Of Insanity-

rsynweap84
04-04-2010, 02:27 AM
You guys are grinning now, until you discover these exploiters are your friends, guild mates, etc.

No guild. Don't need or want. Friends? Loot is my friend, more than anyone here. :D:D Like I said fuck em', whether friend or foe they cheated/exploited. They may not have caused the exploit but that is irrelevant anyways, and personally I could care less if it was. You are right though I am grinning from ear to fucking ear lemmie' tell ya', really hope they post a lists of these nailed to the wall bastards.

Espada
04-04-2010, 02:29 AM
I really think the Devs don't have time for sting operations. They have enough heart to make this server and keep it going. They try to improve play quality weekly, so they and most of us don't want to see the server tainted with scammers and exploiters. So many of us (Devs included) have longed for this sever for years, we simply don't wanna see it screwed up!

Pyratess
04-04-2010, 02:30 AM
@.@ I'm about to start frothing at the mouth! Too much withdrawal! I'd so complain if this server wasn't completely free and run by awesome people... so instead I've tossed $20 your way :P

Intricus
04-04-2010, 02:30 AM
First it was:

and then its this:

I don't know, but I'm kind of getting the feeling you have an extremely low opinion of the people who are making this game available to you free of charge.

:confused::confused::confused:

I don't know, maybe I do...But in reguards to the first thing I said, I fear that Rogean is going to favor players who donate, and let them exploit the game in ways others would get banned for, and give them special 'privileges'.
And the second one, well, was sarcasm, I guess. :rolleyes:
Don't take things so seriously, do you understand what I am saying to you??

atvaata
04-04-2010, 02:33 AM
I really think the Devs don't have time for sting operations. They have enough heart to make this server and keep it going. They try to improve play quality weekly, so they and most of us don't want to see the server tainted with scammers and exploiters. So many of us (Devs included) have longed for this sever for years, we simply don't wanna see it screwed up!

what this guy said.
i almost masturbated when i found out about this server. almost. I think pikles did though.

Speed
:confused::confused::confused:

I don't know, maybe I do...But in reguards to the first thing I said, I fear that Rogean is going to favor players who donate, and let them exploit the game in ways others would get banned for, and give them special 'privileges'.
And the second one, well, was sarcasm, I guess. :rolleyes:
Don't take things so seriously, do you understand what I am saying to you??

I understand that your comments need to be kept to yourself

Intricus
wtf, is that the best entrapment scenario you could come up with?

Yea, for now it was. I just ate alot of chicken fingers, and my imagination is not fully functional. I suppose you have something more creative?
And your that guy who posted that pic of a black Michael Jackson eating popcorn, right? I don't understand why anyone thinks that's funny. It was random and made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

buffug
04-04-2010, 02:34 AM
i masturbated just before i was told about it...good thing too, it helped me stay on a little bit longer.

Speed
04-04-2010, 02:36 AM
if you think that pic wasn't funny of MJ eating the popcorn you need to get slapped...

Intricus
04-04-2010, 02:39 AM
I understand that your comments need to be kept to yourself

I will say what I want. Not only beacuse I am entitled to the right of freedom of speech, but I just so happened to donate to this game.

As thankful as I am for the people who made Project 1999 possible, I will go on record to say that I personally think alot of the GMs on here are very arrogant, and seem to go on frequent ego-fueled power trips, and think they are above the 'common players'.

I am an honest man, and I would rather you hate me for everything I am, instead of love me for something that I am not.

mitic
04-04-2010, 02:39 AM

give him a second chance since he was a man about it and confessed :) . delete the toons of all other players using this exploit!

Shamaeso
04-04-2010, 02:41 AM
Entitlement

often used term without understanding the meaning.

Gorgetrapper
04-04-2010, 02:42 AM
I will say what I want. Not only beacuse I am entitled to the right of freedom of speech, but I just so happened to donate to this game.

As thankful as I am for the people who made Project 1999 possible, I will go on record to say that I personally think alot of the GMs on here are very arrogant, and seem to go on frequent ego-fueled power trips, and think they are above the 'common players'.

I am an honest man, and I would rather you hate me for everything I am, instead of love me for something that I am not.

They are above the common player, otherwise they would be normal players like us.

Ego-fueled power trips? I take it you were a target of one of this, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. I doubt it was even ego-fueled.

Murferoo

Oh Jesus....enough with the pious bullshit. We get it....you're emo. It's ok. You can sit down now.

Rania
I don't think admitting to a crime you are about to be exposed for really gives you any kudos ... was he going to stand up and admit it before he thought he was going to be caught ???? I highly doubt it !

Intricus
04-04-2010, 02:43 AM
if you think that pic wasn't funny of MJ eating the popcorn you need to get slapped...

Nah, you and the guy who posted that pic need to get thrown through a window. :D

Speed
04-04-2010, 02:44 AM
[QUOTE=Intricus;38144]but I just so happened to donate to this game.
QUOTE]

does this mean you're the "special few who get a slap on there wrist"?

Are you trying to give a subliminal message saying you are one of the ones who F-ed up and want a slap on the wrist?

Intricus
Oh Jesus....enough with the pious bullshit. We get it....you're emo. It's ok. You can sit down now.

Fuck off, loser.

Lickum
I honestly don't think people that donate would even use the exploits, usually the kind giving people want a legit experience. The leftovers are the ones that use exploits and say fuckit, it's free who cares.

Phineas
So I just tried loggin in, even though it shows the server status as "locked".

It says - "This account is currently banned. Please contact customer service for more information."

Hope that's normal, I sure as hell haven't been exploiting. I did buy a darksea harpoon for 4k+ p, but that was with money made from farming ACs and HGs.

~phin

Intricus
04-04-2010, 02:45 AM
They are above the common player, otherwise they would be normal players like us.

Ego-fueled power trips? I take it you were a target of one of this, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. I doubt it was even ego-fueled.

You too.

atvaata

Aziz Ansari voice.."BAN HEEEM NAOOOOO"

*Awaits the mighty hammer of Throgean*

mitic
i woudlnt ban them, id just delete their toons and let them start over.

would be a win win situation for everyone

Joessins
Speed hop on the Mumble server I put on the forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drolgurd FTW

Intricus
04-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Aziz Ansari voice.."BAN HEEEM NAOOOOO"

*Awaits the mighty hammer of Throgean*

Ban me? for stating an honest opinion? Kiss my ass.

Belenos
04-04-2010, 02:47 AM

wow that last bit sounds like it came form a really bad movie, like on hallmark channel or something like that

Speed
Speed hop on the Mumble server I put on the forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drolgurd FTW

lol what now drol?

Rogean
Server up

bionicbadger
04-04-2010, 02:48 AM

how is that a win win? you still have a bunch of cheater that got caught playing. The idea is not to have cheaters.

Ban the IP addresses, and delete the account of course

Pyratess
04-04-2010, 02:48 AM
Server up

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D

LazyFuj
04-04-2010, 02:49 AM
restart with SK exp penalty and 1-50 hell levels, and a special title of "I exploited da vendor"

Intricus
04-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Server up

Great. Now don't anyone take anything I said personally, Mmkay? Especially any GM's. :D

Rania
04-04-2010, 02:51 AM
woot, thanks for fixing the issues :)

Phineas
04-04-2010, 02:52 AM
Ugh, I appear to have been banned....

wtf?

Do I get an explanation? I barely had any plat at all, and what plat I did have could easily be traced to my hill giant farming. Ask anybody in Rathe Mts. Been hunting there for the past week...

omg.

~phin

mitic
04-04-2010, 02:52 AM
how is that a win win? you still have a bunch of cheater that got caught playing. The idea is not to have cheaters.

Ban the IP addresses, and delete the account of course

deleting their toons would be punishment enough. see it as second and last chance and since they have been caught i highly doubt they would risk something like this again

Stunnah
04-04-2010, 02:54 AM
Hi there,

I dont know why I was banned, I did not take part in this exploitation, but I seemed to be wrongfully accused. Can I get a explanation?

Stunnah Wannah

gimper42
04-04-2010, 02:55 AM
I am getting the same banned message as Phineas when I attempt to login to the server. There is no fuggin way in hell that I did any exploiting of any kind. I am pretty disappointed.

Lame.

Phineas
04-04-2010, 02:58 AM
I definitely had a ton of stackable loot from the Hill Giants. But I only sold it once and left it in my inventory until I zoned, or logged out.

I am not a cheater. Hell, check my bank account...I had like 9k, mostly from the Gatoscale leggings I farmed.

/shrug

This is going to get ugly for a lot of people me thinks. Sad.

~phin

Stunnah
04-04-2010, 03:00 AM
I definitely had a ton of stackable loot from the Hill Giants. But I only sold it once and left it in my inventory until I zoned, or logged out.

I am not a cheater. Hell, check my bank account...I had like 9k, mostly from the Gatoscale leggings I farmed.

/shrug

This is going to get ugly for a lot of people me thinks. Sad.

~phin

Every time i had stackable items i sold once and deleted the item, I did not do anything whatsoever to exploit the system! I am very upset right now as well. :(

gimper42
04-04-2010, 03:02 AM
my bank account hit an all time high of 1199 plat around 2 days ago. Yeah huge exploiting going on here.

mitic
04-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Every time i had stackable items i sold once and deleted the item, I did not do anything whatsoever to exploit the system! I am very upset right now as well. :(

so you reported this issue too while u deleted the rest of that stack, right? ;)

gimper42
04-04-2010, 03:05 AM

I did the exact same thing. I get the feeling they cast a wide net and a lot of innocents got swept up. Hopefully we are looking at a short-term ban? I mean, GD guys, I was about to upload moneys to Paypal... Pretty evil to sink the hook into me after all these years and then pull the plug for no reason!

Phineas
04-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Why would we report a known bug?

What am I missing here? The whole server knew there was a stackable item bug and the fix was to zone or camp.

Seriously, my account just got banned for no apparent reason. You think it's because we didn't bother reporting a known bug?

I'm at a complete loss here...

~phin

Stunnah
04-04-2010, 03:09 AM
so you reported this issue too while u deleted the rest of that stack, right? ;)

No I didnt unfortunately. I just didnt worry too much about it and kept playing.

Stunnah
04-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Why would we report a known bug?

What am I missing here? The whole server knew there was a stackable item bug and the fix was to zone or camp.

Seriously, my account just got banned for no apparent reason. You think it's because we didn't bother reporting a known bug?

I'm at a complete loss here...

~phin

I didnt know about the camping/zoning part, I just deleted the item from my inventory when I sold once. I was looking forward to playing after this patch but it seems I am getting the short end of the stick as well as others :(

Phineas
04-04-2010, 03:11 AM
I did the exact same thing. I get the feeling they cast a wide net and a lot of innocents got swept up. Hopefully we are looking at a short-term ban? I mean, GD guys, I was about to upload moneys to Paypal... Pretty evil to sink the hook into me after all these years and then pull the plug for no reason!

Hah, you think that's bad...while we waited for the patch I did donate...now I'm out a whopping 10 bucks to go along with all the time I spent getting to 42...

unbelievable.

~phin

Chimpylegacy
04-04-2010, 03:23 AM
This is Evilchimp for some reason I got banned no I didnt expliot this i sold once then if the item was still there I zoned and left it alone. I'm really disappointed I put a lot of time in. Is there nothing we can do or is this just end all make a new toon?

Phineas
04-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Okay, I'm not gonna wait around any longer for a response to my PM. Guessing you got a ton of them.

I'll just ask here for the public to see. Will we ever get an explanation as to what led to our bannings?

At this time I can only imagine that it had something to do with my purchase of a darksea harpoon this afternoon from oakwisdom or whatever his name was. It certainly can't be due to any gains I made selling to vendors.

~phin

mitic
04-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Okay, I'm not gonna wait around any longer for a response to my PM. Guessing you got a ton of them.

I'll just ask here for the public to see. Will we ever get an explanation as to what led to our bannings?

At this time I can only imagine that it had something to do with my purchase of a darksea harpoon this afternoon from oakwisdom or whatever his name was. It certainly can't be due to any gains I made selling to vendors.

~phin

there will most likely be an official explanation. hang in there young padawan

atvaata
04-04-2010, 03:29 AM
posting a petition would help too i assume rather than relying on a gm to mosey through 12 pages of bullshit

Hasbinbad
04-04-2010, 03:35 AM
/popcorn

Hasbinbad
04-04-2010, 03:39 AM
I love how they are reporting their bans in the thread regarding the exploit they "didn't use."

lmao.

Good job GMs!

rsynweap84
04-04-2010, 03:41 AM
Oh yea umm...lets see...

Forums>Library>Server Rules> Exploit Section (Near the bottom)

There, explained.

Enjoy.:D

Phineas
04-04-2010, 03:51 AM
I love how they are reporting their bans in the thread regarding the exploit they "didn't use."

lmao.

Good job GMs!

For what it's worht Hadbinbad, I didn't exploit jack, or shit. And my account is no longer banned.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

~phin

Hasbinbad
04-04-2010, 03:53 AM
For what it's worht Hadbinbad, I didn't exploit jack, or shit. And my account is no longer banned.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

~phin
Well then I wasn't talking to you, now was I?

..and I'm from Cali baby, I don't need your rag tag bammer!

Stunnah
04-04-2010, 05:41 AM
im in the same boat as phin :) the devs reversed my account as well. I am now happy again :)

Chimpylegacy
04-04-2010, 05:53 AM
I hope that happens for me.

Phineas
04-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Well then I wasn't talking to you, now was I?

..and I'm from Cali baby, I don't need your rag tag bammer!

Doesn't matter, I'm talking to you.

And you heard me just fine, punchy.

~phin

Hasbinbad
04-04-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm talking to you.
You talk a lot, but you don't say much.

Icyhot
04-04-2010, 06:33 AM
was this mass banning done manually or automatically? because I tried to log in just a little bit ago and my account was banned!!! So I'm just going to GUESS, it coincides with this event and someone got ban-happy on me for no reason. I only started playing a few days ago (I'm new to the server) with a lvl 20 mage (Icyhot) that barely has about 100 plat. how can i have been exploiting anything and still be so dirt poor???

I don't even have any real friends yet in the server to be chatting about things, to be some savy exploiter, I've only found out abut it by looking at this thread. :(

Jify
04-04-2010, 09:39 AM

I like this idea. Feel sorry for the wrongfully accused, but I'm happy that some of the cheaters got nabbed!

*sigh* Away for Easter, I wanna come home and play EQ. :*(

imcrunchy
04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
im not on a computer to check, but i had a lvl 3 necro that was having trouble selling rat whiskers or something ;x hope im not banned ;P

seems like alot of lowbies are getting banned, and i can see how easy it would be. nothing is more frustrating than the server not being able to find your stack of items! glad its fixed tho! happy easter bannings yall! woo!

girth
04-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Not only beacuse I am entitled to the right of freedom of speech

Whoever said this is a fucking moron. Proof that he is a moron is that he did not understand the joke behind the MJ gif. HES EATING POPCORN BECAUSE HES ENTERTAINED WATCHING A SHOW - KIND OF LIKE HOW PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T EXPLOIT WERE WATCHING A SHOW OF THE EXPLOITERS GETTING BANNED - ITS ENTERTAINING.

moron

fastboy21
04-04-2010, 11:37 AM

The first amendment to the constitution protects your from having your freedom of speech/expression from being abridged BY THE GOVERNMENT. Unless you think Rogean is a government agent (conducting some MMORPG addiction study for the CIA---hmmm) then he or anybody else here can sensor you.

You are entitled to nothing. If you don't like what you get for free take a hike. If you gave money to the project you DONATED it---i.e. you have not earned any contractual quid pro quo from the project, and AGAIN have no "right" to complain about anything.

You're lucky your ban hasn't been extended to the forums...I'd have done that already.

Icecometus
04-04-2010, 11:48 AM
This kinda simulates the invisible banker in RE exploit on live I would say...

stormlord
04-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I like this idea. Feel sorry for the wrongfully accused, but I'm happy that some of the cheaters got nabbed!

*sigh* Away for Easter, I wanna come home and play EQ. :*(

Agree. Deleting the accounts, but not banning the IP, is a win win (although I bet some of them will quit or some will take a break). I hope they didn't ban people who did it once or twice.

Could something like this be done by mistake?

(that young MJ vid was a laugh)

MrBeerBelly
04-04-2010, 12:36 PM
It's safe to say that there are far more people who didn't exploit when they could have, than people who did exploit.

I say ban their ips.

UnluckyLune
04-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I didn't do it and so didn't get banned, but a few of my friends who played the game did. Kind of a shitty consequence for a bug that was left in the game for so long. It's understandable, I suppose. It seems like a lot of people in this thread are being overly vindictive though.

nilbog
04-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Kind of a shitty consequence for a bug that was left in the game for so long.

- If you witness, discover or hear of an exploit it becomes your responsibility to report that exploit. Some exploits could include: Loot dropping improperly for large monetary gain, pathing exploit allowing you kill NPCs at ease, or a quest rewarding you experience and giving you back the quest item to turn it in over and over for experience. We ask for everyone’s cooperation in this matter. It is important for us to stomp out any issues as quickly as we can so that things stay legit.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1057

Striiker
04-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I didn't do it and so didn't get banned, but a few of my friends who played the game did. Kind of a shitty consequence for a bug that was left in the game for so long. It's understandable, I suppose. It seems like a lot of people in this thread are being overly vindictive though.

People are vindictive because these fools contributed towards ruining the economy by exploiting a bug. Just because the bug was left in game for so long doesn't reduce anything which your friends did. They knew full well what they were doing, that it was clearly against the rules and would result in being banned if caught. They made the decision to continue to exploit the bug and accepted the potential consequences.
I have no pity at all for people who are banned for breaking the rules. I'd personally like to be able to enjoy the game and part of that means being able to buy stuff from other players at reasonable prices. I have a little less than 200 plat to my name, most of that coming from killing wisps on Wisp island (Erud's Crossing). People are not going to sell desirable items cheaply when people are so flush with platinum, overbidding for items and grabbing everything up, driving the value of platinum down and prices up. Those of us working at getting gear and platinum honestly are screwed in such an environment.
So, good riddance and I hope that this sets an example for others in the game.. Exploit bugs, you will get caught and banned.

If you are looking for sympathy.. It's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

Hasbinbad
04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
If you are looking for sympathy.. It's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.
I be lol.

MrB
04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
but a few of my friends who played the game did.

Get better friends?

Perhaps not the kind that ruin the economy for all the players by their selfishness.

If they want it easy there are plenty of custom servers to choose from. No need to screw this one up.

Icyhot
04-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I have no pity at all for people
So, good riddance

That's fine and dandy and probably looks good on paper Mr. righteous crusader, but how about people like me who woke up this morning to find their accounts banned for no reason?? I only started playing on this server a few days ago and I only play a lvl 20 mage Icyhot with only about 100 plat to his name I got from selling trash. The only place I saw anything about 'mass bannings' and 'exploit' bugs was reading this thread while the server was down. So far nobody's given me a single straight answer why my mage was banned. does that seem fair to you??? it could have easily happened to YOU. Don't be so quick to pass judgment.

Finawin
04-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm sure most, if not all, of those wrongfully banned will be fixed if they go through the proper channels.

Our GM team doesn't fucking suck.

Murferoo
04-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I take it a list isn't going to be posted of the offenders?

starguitar33
04-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I got banned, and I didn't exploit. I posted in the petition section.

ithaqua
04-04-2010, 02:35 PM
me too, hopefully things gets sorted somewhat soon~
but if i look at it positively, i got some unexpected free time to go through my backstock of
visual novels ,)

Striiker
04-04-2010, 02:47 PM
That's fine and dandy and probably looks good on paper Mr. righteous crusader, but how about people like me who woke up this morning to find their accounts banned for no reason?? I only started playing on this server a few days ago and I only play a lvl 20 mage Icyhot with only about 100 plat to his name I got from selling trash. The only place I saw anything about 'mass bannings' and 'exploit' bugs was reading this thread while the server was down. So far nobody's given me a single straight answer why my mage was banned. does that seem fair to you??? it could have easily happened to YOU. Don't be so quick to pass judgment.

If you got banned and are innocent, I am certain that you will be re-instated. If you did nothing wrong, my comments were not directed to you and so you need not take offense at what I said. I certainly did not write anything indicating that those who were banned accidentally deserve what they got.
As much as it sucks to be stuck out of the game, I am sure you'll be back in good standing soon (once again, assuming that you were caught up in this as collateral damage). I imagine that the GM's had to run a script which went through all accounts looking for certain transactions or patters of transactions and banned them. This would prevent those who exploited from causing greater harm to the server (handing out money and items to others etc.) Your account got caught up somehow and I am sure that you (and others in your situation) will get corrected in time.

Scrooge
04-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't get how this so called "exploit" was even possible, as any item that was attempted to be sold more than once would say something like "Item is misplaced"...or am I the only one who was getting that?

Lyssia
04-04-2010, 03:14 PM
scrooge i think the exploit opened after the server patch yesterday. And im guessing thats why everyone and their motbher was wanting to buy a diamond in the /auc channel after server came back up

Hasbinbad
04-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Our GM team doesn't fucking suck.
QUIT SAYING SHIT THAT MAKES ME WANT TO LIKE YOU!! WTF!?!?

vaire100
04-04-2010, 03:45 PM
cheaters always prospered in EQ. sad to see still the case.

Pikle
04-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Love FINAWIN! He is god! (+1)

starguitar33
04-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't get how this so called "exploit" was even possible, as any item that was attempted to be sold more than once would say something like "Item is misplaced"...or am I the only one who was getting that?

Yeah, I'd get that too, thats why I was really confused as to why I got banned.

Kennebec
04-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Gratz to the Dev team IMHO for the way this is handled. I think the GM's show a lot of integrity.

Bentheb
04-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Question for the GM'S.
Don't even know if its doable but will any of the bogus plat be tracked down, and if so are there rollback inc?

would hate to loose hell lvl exp cause i bought or sold something lol.

not bitching about it either way but just wondering.

Rogean
04-04-2010, 04:21 PM
We already reversed some trades that were done with exploited platinum, but we only did this to the larger transactions.

derek
04-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Im with scrooge on this one but somehow i guess i was some uber exploiter and got banned lol. Well hopefully later tonight ill get it removed. oh well

Foha

PS: Unbanned Ty rogean

Bradoshado
04-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Nah, you and the guy who posted that pic need to get thrown through a window. :D

He posted it because he was enjoying just sitting back and watching all of the people get banned much like being in a movie theatre. People do the "popcorn eating" thing to mimic this all of the time to show that they are just sitting back and enjoying the view/theatrics of what's going on.

Hence, the gif was funny because it was MJ doing just this.

Duh.

BarackObooma
04-05-2010, 05:25 PM

I stumbled on the exploit by accident, petitioned and put in an detailed message in the exploit section and Rogean responded right away and the server was taken down within 10 minutes. Props to Rogean and crew for that.

It worked like this, if a player sold a stackable item (lets say a rune/word/gem/bonechip) to a vendor that didn't normally stock that item, it would then list the item with a quantity of - (what we would normally think of as unlimited). It wasn't really unlimited of course and some necros probably wet their pants the first time they saw a vendor with "unlimited" bone chips. If someone bought such an item, it would give them the item(s) but would not take your money. The person could then resell the item back to the vendor and keep buying it back for no money and resell it until they were rich, like Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island.

Unscrupulous people who caught on would then take a high cost item (like a ruby), sell it to a mechant for 130pp (or whatever they vendor for), buy it back for free, resell it to the vendor and rinse and repeat until the economy collapses.

I remember in WOW beta when we had item and gold wipes. It wasn't fun. I didn't want that to happen here.

I also figured that the people doing it were buying irreplaceable items (like manastones, rubicite bps, etc.) which no longer drop. If they got banned (and you knew they would), the items would disappear and the supply would become so low that the late comers like myself (I started about a month ago) would never be able to afford a manastone or other item.

What a mess for Rogean and them to have to undo trades and such. I hope too much damage wasn't done.

I'd like to think I played a small part in saving the economy of the server (ironic huh) and help rid it of some cheaters.

The other side effect was Rogean made me change my name so I am no longer BarackObooma but Thunderstruck. This also made my many corpses across Norrath unrezzable doh!

Eastwood
04-05-2010, 07:01 PM
See? Obooma isnt that bad!

Thanks Thundastruck!

guineapig
04-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I stumbled on the exploit by accident, petitioned and put in an detailed message in the exploit section and Rogean responded right away and the server was taken down within 10 minutes. Props to Rogean and crew for that.

It worked like this, if a player sold a stackable item (lets say a rune/word/gem/bonechip) to a vendor that didn't normally stock that item, it would then list the item with a quantity of - (what we would normally think of as unlimited). It wasn't really unlimited of course and some necros probably wet their pants the first time they saw a vendor with "unlimited" bone chips. If someone bought such an item, it would give them the item(s) but would not take your money. The person could then resell the item back to the vendor and keep buying it back for no money and resell it until they were rich, like Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island.

Unscrupulous people who caught on would then take a high cost item (like a ruby), sell it to a mechant for 130pp (or whatever they vendor for), buy it back for free, resell it to the vendor and rinse and repeat until the economy collapses.

I remember in WOW beta when we had item and gold wipes. It wasn't fun. I didn't want that to happen here.

I also figured that the people doing it were buying irreplaceable items (like manastones, rubicite bps, etc.) which no longer drop. If they got banned (and you knew they would), the items would disappear and the supply would become so low that the late comers like myself (I started about a month ago) would never be able to afford a manastone or other item.

What a mess for Rogean and them to have to undo trades and such. I hope too much damage wasn't done.

I'd like to think I played a small part in saving the economy of the server (ironic huh) and help rid it of some cheaters.

The other side effect was Rogean made me change my name so I am no longer BarackObooma but Thunderstruck. This also made my many corpses across Norrath unrezzable doh!

Good job man! The server thanks you and anyone else who petitioned right away. ( Sorry about the no-rez sideeffect of the name change though :( )

gloam
04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Good job getting rid of cheaters. I still think that all the talk about ruined economies is a bit overly dramatic, as pretty much every game has currency flow that is outside the norm, and pretty much every game, the economy adjusts. IMO, having a reputation of rampant hacking/cheating/exploiting does much more to ruin servers than abnormal inflow of coin, but its clear these types are going to be dealt with so shouldnt have any worries about a bad rep.

Murferoo
04-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Man, why the name change? I knew I voted for the right guy. Good job BO.

andymc1980
04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
wonder if the account bans because of the exploits rog found have led to some kind of revenge...resulting in the DDoS attack......