PDA

View Full Version : New player - like, new to EQ-new

addledhands
10-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi there!

When I was younger, I played Classic Everquest to about level 17 or so. I loved the game, I just didn't have the time for it. After tinkering around with my old EQ account, which apparently has sixteen expansions and 14 free days, I was overwhelmed and .. bored.

Then I read about p99, and think that it's completely awesome. That there seems to be a decent population is huge.

My question is probably pretty typical: what class should I play? Being able to solo, to an extent, is critical - but I also would like to play a sought-after character in a group. I am leaning towards a wizard, although I would consider other options too. I have a great deal of experience in other online games, and I'm confident that I could learn and adapt to just about anything.

Oh also, since I have no higher level characters to twink myself with, being able to make a living would be nice.

bonehand
10-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Shaman...always needful in groups and raids, but strong enough to solo very well and enhance nearly any other class when duo.

Then later, you make potions that you can sell for some income - not the greatest, but it has other benefits. If you supply more players, then you know more people to group with.

I don't have a shaman. So no bias there...but shaman are the best utility AND solo, imho.

If you want ezmode...there is always druid, necro, blah, blah...

If you want hard mode then rogue.

Everything else falls in between, so play what interests you!

gnomishfirework
10-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Wizards are very much wanted in raids (especially velious), and groups will be happy that you don't have an exp penalty. You can't put out the sustained kind of damage a melee or pet class can, but you can burn down casters which is always good. You bring a little utility (ports aren't ever a bad thing, root --eventually snare). Solo wizards do ok. You can definitly do it. Root and nuke. You sit a lot. Even with 194 int at 24, if my wizard gets a few resists, im out of mana after one mob. No resists I sit at 50% on even con/LB giants in ww. Kunark mobs have higher hp than classic as a general rule, though. Once you start to be able to AE kite, things get better. I didn't do much AE kiting as a wizard, but on my druids I always preferred it.

Wizards can be kind of boring. Druids have more utility, but less raid appeal. Druids are a lot more fun to level, in my opinion. You just have a lot more options. Its an easy first character. I think Druids are boring in raids, though. You don't really do anything great.

Bards are great too. Fantastic soloers. Swarm kiting is amazing once you get it down. Expect to die, but the rewards are great. Can also fear kite poorly and other stuff, i never really played a druid solo. Mine I always grouped cause i like to twist to show off). You will be expected to play puller in groups, so you get to learn zones better, too. I assume bards are loved in raids, but to be honest I didn't play one till after PoP, and I don't remember how they were in raids in classic. I know I LOVED being in a bard group on my ranger. My DPS would bump up noticeably. I imagine they are just as useful, even if just in the MT/MA group.

Those are my recommendations.

Vondra
10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
If you've never played EQ before and want the EQ experience, don't be a wizard...you'll hardly get any exp groups, then you'll get bored and quit. Ditto druid.

Try a shaman, they can solo very well and are desirable in groups.

Mardur
10-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Agree on shaman for good balance of solo and group power.

One of the most complicated classes in the game if you want to play it well though, especially at high end.

Another advantage is that it's the first class to get SoW - a movement speed buff. This ensures quicker travel time and safety (can run from most things if a fight goes badly).

Awwalike
10-27-2011, 07:20 PM
you really need a lot of experience and skill to play a shaman well. start with a mage to gain wealth and gear, then play a ranger. ;)

addledhands
10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
I originally made a halfling druid, but got bored of his running animation and the area in general. So, halfling bard it is - just can't beat that douche bag moustache one of the models has.

His name is Slander!

Also, can you still sell bone chips to high level players for decent money? Tried earlier, but no bites.

Thanks for the tips though guys.

Bossco
10-27-2011, 07:31 PM
The way you're talking, shaman is the one for you. Wizards are great for all the reasons mentioned, but you will have more trouble getting groups and you need to like sitting and doing nothing. Bring a good book if you are playing a wizard.

You won't make any real money doing potions, but they will help with getting the mid range gear. You are capable of soloing or duoing some of the biggest money camps in the game once you get up there in levels as a shaman, tho. On the other hand, get ready to buff... and buff... and buff some more. Then, load some more buffs and start casting because that's going to be the majority of your raid experience. As I said, wizards sit and med, a lot. Shamans are constantly casting something. The only class that more actively clicks something is probably bard. In duo's, when other classes go afk during med breaks, you get to hit canni, then sit. then hit canni, then sit. If you like to go afk, go wizard.

At the end of the day, if you like your class you will make it to 60 and have a blast. If you don't, you won't. Nothing else matters, not group availability, not solo ability, nothing. As the grail knight said in The Last Crusade, "Choose... wisely."

At the end of the day tho, if what makes you happy is melting mobs

Mardur
10-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Half Elf Bard *

Most complicated class in the game. But they also excel at solo and group play. Good luck.

addledhands
10-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Er, hah, yeah - half elf bard. My bad. Maybe I'll have a look at the shaman spell selection, though - lots of people have recommended that too.

Awwalike
10-27-2011, 07:45 PM
speaking of halfling bards, is the hobbit mask in chardok yet or is that re-vamp?

Snaggles
10-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Shaman is pretty sad until level 24. Druid peaks way quicker and is prob easier for a new player to enjoy out of the gate (ports at 19, etc).

A Mage is a no-brainer too. Powerful pet, you get to nuke, little to no gear dependance. Of course it helps but not as crucial as some. Plus you can always keep the toon around for plat farming.

Goodluck and welcome aboard :)

Mardur
10-27-2011, 09:37 PM
speaking of halfling bards, is the hobbit mask in chardok yet or is that re-vamp?

revamp

Mardur
10-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Jeremy never played EQ before P99 and became one of the best shaman on the server.

Also the first level 50 on P99 was a shaman.