PDA

View Full Version : Iksar Warrior Worth It?

loopholbrook
10-28-2011, 06:11 AM
So I just rolled a Halfling warrior and with in a few days I've gotten him to level 8. I think right now I can reroll him and have no problems, but in a few more level I'll be stuck with him. Well, my first character on this server was an Iksar monk that I kind of abandoned when I made my rogue and warrior. I decided that I would play him tonight and I must say that the exp penalty is just unbearable. This could be because I'm getting a 20% exp bonus with my warrior, so the 44% penalty seems even more extreme, but I digress. The hp regen is just amazing, so I feel like that would definitely help out a warrior, a lot. The fact that I can't wear plate also seems like it would be a bit of a hinderance. So weighing the pros and cons it seems like an Iksar warrior is the way to go, but I really want an outside opinion. I appreciate any feedback, and I apologize if my post doesn't really make any sense, it's like 5:15 a.m. so I'm a bit tired.

tl;dnr Is an Iksar warrior worth it even though it can't wear plate and gets a 10% exp penalty?

Extunarian
10-28-2011, 06:21 AM
I think in the end the regen really doesn't factor in much. What does help is the higher AC that iksar get inherently. Couple that with the fact that the 'no plate' thing goes (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4969) out (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5099) the (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5505) window (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5420) in (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4984) velious (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4858) and Iksars make pretty awesome warriors.

But yeah, the xp penalty does suck, so if you just want a fun char to level up choose whichever race you won't abandon later!

gnomishfirework
10-28-2011, 08:18 AM
The penalty on warrior isn't that bad. I feel like iksar level up quicker than other races anyway. Their starting area is vastly superior.

You'll be grouping on your warrior, so you won't even notice the penalty. Gear might be frustrating, but as was said, if you hold out for velious that doesn't matter.

Iksar look badass. I like them. I wanted a unique warrior and was gonna go woodelf, but ended up settling on iksar. I kind of abandoned him at level 10, but he has my fbss so I think I'm gonna start leveling up again.

Snaggles
10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
You will get an AC bonus over the other races, which obviously is the biggest advantage (to a point). Regen is just a perk, while not as helpful for a warrior as a SK or Monk.

The main advantage a halfling would have, besides leveling speed, would be the ability to use cobalt for the clickies which are mostly overrated. They can also use Blazing armor off Ragefire and the Incardine bp for invis. Iksar's can use the Frostreaver though which is a fairly attainable 2h that's excludes small races (except Dwarves) and the elves/erudites.

Once you get over the look it's all details either way. I don't think a couple hundred hps, a tad of ac, or regen is going to make or break a warrior but if you are min-maxing every little bit counts.

pickled_heretic
10-28-2011, 01:06 PM
not a perfect list, but here's my reasons to be an X warrior:

god tier: innate AC, frontal stun immunity
(iksar, ogre)

top tier: innate regen
(iksar, troll)

high tier: innate slam
(troll, barb, ogre)

good tier: uber warrior stats
(dwarf, troll, ogre, barb)

mid tier: exp bonus
(halfling)

low tier: hide or sneak (or both)
(wood elf, halfling, dark elf)

not being stuck everywhere because you're fucking huge and fat tier:
(every race but barb, ogre, troll)

lololol im so unique shit tier:
(gnome, dark elf, wood elf)

ugly crap tincan helmet tier:
(human)

your mileage may vary

pickled_heretic
10-28-2011, 01:15 PM
So I just rolled a Halfling warrior and with in a few days I've gotten him to level 8. I think right now I can reroll him and have no problems, but in a few more level I'll be stuck with him. Well, my first character on this server was an Iksar monk that I kind of abandoned when I made my rogue and warrior. I decided that I would play him tonight and I must say that the exp penalty is just unbearable. This could be because I'm getting a 20% exp bonus with my warrior, so the 44% penalty seems even more extreme, but I digress. The hp regen is just amazing, so I feel like that would definitely help out a warrior, a lot. The fact that I can't wear plate also seems like it would be a bit of a hinderance. So weighing the pros and cons it seems like an Iksar warrior is the way to go, but I really want an outside opinion. I appreciate any feedback, and I apologize if my post doesn't really make any sense, it's like 5:15 a.m. so I'm a bit tired.

tl;dnr Is an Iksar warrior worth it even though it can't wear plate and gets a 10% exp penalty?

p.s your ongoing saga of finding a toon that you're going to stick with is getting pretty pathetic, just sayin'

rogues get an exp bonus, just play a rogue FFS it was your first choice anyway

Rhaj
10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I rolled an Iksar with 25 Dex. I haven't played him much. I am saving him for Velious mainly.

loopholbrook
10-28-2011, 01:36 PM
p.s your ongoing saga of finding a toon that you're going to stick with is getting pretty pathetic, just sayin'

rogues get an exp bonus, just play a rogue FFS it was your first choice anyway

Have a rogue, it's my main FFS. I didn't know that feedback was such a bad thing, but whatever. I guess I should make a thread about future expansions, since that seems to be what's popular these days.

Snaggles
10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Feedback isn't bad but some of it has been said before.

If your truly worrying over the details roll an Ogre. The Iksar is going to hit the AC softcap easier than an ogre and be left with mediocre stats and no stun immunity for more exp penalty.

60 strength and 52 base stamina vs 15 dex?

Once an ogre is shrunk it just looks like an ugly game hen in armor. :p

Sithel1988
10-28-2011, 02:12 PM
just make a dwarf or wood elf or gnome warrior and join me in CRUSHBONE!!!

MrSparkle001
10-28-2011, 05:43 PM
(iksar, ogre)

Only ogres get frontal stun immunity?

And what about a troll warrior? You get the regen but you can wear plate and have higher str and sta.

I never saw the advantage of an iksar warrior vs troll or ogre except with the starting areas.

Daldaen
10-28-2011, 06:09 PM
not a perfect list, but here's my reasons to be an X warrior:

(iksar, ogre)

top tier: innate regen
(iksar, troll)

high tier: innate slam
(troll, barb, ogre)

good tier: uber warrior stats
(dwarf, troll, ogre, barb)

mid tier: exp bonus
(halfling)

low tier: hide or sneak (or both)
(wood elf, halfling, dark elf)

not being stuck everywhere because you're fucking huge and fat tier:
(every race but barb, ogre, troll)

lololol im so unique shit tier:
(gnome, dark elf, wood elf)

ugly crap tincan helmet tier:
(human)

your mileage may vary

No love for my half elf warrior aye?

loopholbrook
10-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Just to clarify, I'm not asking which race is the best. I'm just asking if Iksar warriors are worth playing due to all their downsides.

Daldaen
10-28-2011, 06:14 PM
tl;dr.

Yes. Velious is on the horizon.

citizen1080
10-28-2011, 06:53 PM
In one to two years you will be the best in theory =)

Snaggles
10-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Just to clarify, I'm not asking which race is the best. I'm just asking if Iksar warriors are worth playing due to all their downsides.

That sounds like more of a philosophy question. Maybe this will help,

"OMG ya, I knew an Iksar Warrior and he was amazing. Nothing could stop him, the AC bonus and regen was imba, lolol!"

Start allocating points. :)

Daldaen
10-28-2011, 06:55 PM
In one to two years you will be the best in theory =)

In 6 to 9 months from when you stocked up on Manastones you would be 2x as rich as you were back then!

citizen1080
10-28-2011, 07:08 PM
4-5x