PDA

View Full Version : Shaman vs Enchanter

Aruden
10-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Which one do you prefer and why?

What is a shaman's typical role in groups? Is it enjoyable or are you mostly just a buff/debuff bot with the occasional heal?

Are there more shamans or enchanters on this server?

Which one has an easier time finding groups?

Thanks!

EnnoiaII
10-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Shaman. They're way better at soloing and it's a safer solo.

In a group you're going to be a buff/debuff bot, however.

vageta31
10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Speaking as someone who's played both classes post 50 I'd say they are comparible and it will come down to your prefered playstyle. Enchanters are more graceful and make others do their work for them, and excell at controlling the given situation. Shamans accomplish each situatuin through raw brute force and are very resilient.

Solo wise an enchanter can do things the shaman simply can't at this point due to the power of charm and the ability to break camps and control adds. My enchanter flew through the levels much faster than my shaman did, though with charm it is a bit more dangerous. Come velious a shaman will grow in power and be able to do things the enchanter cannot, however it will depend on 2 factors. It requires getting torpor which isn't a given, and due to the different mechanics on this server vs live it's not clear if soloing lodizal and certain dragons is guaranteed.

In groups they perform similar roles, though each bring something unique. Enchanter is primarily crowd control and melee haster that can also provide mob debuffing and mana buffs which can speed up the groups downtime. Shamans are primarily mob debuffers and melee buffers that can also provide backup healing, off tanking and extra dps.

Personally I love groups that have both so each can focus on their primary rolls. As an enchanter I love having shamen in my group as it allows me to keep a charmed pet long term and with less risk since I don't need to focus on slowing and have the shaman for backup if charm drops at a bad time.

You can't go wrong with either it just depends on your playstyle.

Aruden
10-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow thanks for the incredibly thorough breakdown Vageta!

Would you guys say there are more shamans or more enchanters on this server?

Is it harder for enchanters to solo as a result of the latest patch?

vageta31
10-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I think there is a similar number, but you'll see more active high level shamen in the long run. Enchanters are awesome but their roles during high level encounters and raiding can get tedious. While most others play an active role the enchanter is a designated buff bot as your spells simply won't land on gods and dragons. Shamans suffer a similar fate though I don't beleive it's quite as bad.

Aruden
10-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Interesting!
Which classes play an active role on raids?
What do necros do on raids?

Splorf22
10-29-2011, 11:25 AM
I would say enchanters and shamans are both excellent but with different twists. Necros and Mages are kind of the 'garden variety' soloers who take out single targets quickly and efficiently. Enchanters can take out large camps which would be impossible for any other class (e.g. the King in Lower Guk. If I ever get my char restored I'll probably play around with soloing Sebilis) while Shaman can handle very strong single targets which would be impossible for anyone else just because between slow and torpor they never die.

Part of the problem with the soloing enchanter is that the only thing between you and a massive beatdown is charm/mez/lull/stun/root. So no matter how good you are, if the RNG decides to give you 4 stun resists in a row, or a lull critical at a bad time, you're going to be a smear on the floor.

In XP groups I would give enchanters the edge if only because of clarity, but in raids shaman are more important for slow/malo while enchanters buffbot and maybe suicide themselves with tashan. Shaman probably have the edge in small groups because they can duo with melee classes quite effectively.

Splorf22
10-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Necros manabattery the clerics.

The problem with enchanters is that our abilities are just too awesome. Imagine if you could actually mez Nagafen: you could fight him with 6 people down to 80%, then keep him mezzed while the cleric recovered, etc. Or if two enchanters could just chainstun him while a couple of rogues beat him down. Or if you could charm Nagafen and have him slaughter the BnB . . . I'm actually quite confident that if Boltrans went up to 55 I could solo a dragon (assuming TMO/TR would give me the chance).

Splorf22
10-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Actually, I think it might be possible even with a L53 cap. According to the wiki, Warlord Skarlon has 19000 hp and hits for 175+, while Nagafen has 32000 hp and hits for 255. If we assume that Skarlon dual wields 80% of the time with Wondrous Rapidity (73% haste), and that both hit 75% of the time and DW 75% of the time, with an average hit for 75% of max:

Skarlon: 175 * 1.8 * 1.73 * 1.75 * 0.75 * 0.75 / 3 = 180 dps
Nagafen: 255 * 1.75 * 0.75 * 0.75 / 3 = 85 dps

So after three minutes Nagafen is dead and Skarlon is at 20% or so - of course this is ignoring Nagafen's AEs. A three minute charm of Skarlon would definitely be possible although no guarantee - it would take 5-10 attempts. Aside from the difficulty of killing all the other fire giants, binding down there, and dragging Skarlon over to Naggy.

Nuggie
10-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Good luck on that that nagafen attempt.

Necro's are tedious on raids since dots dont' stack. They will be worse in Velious.

I think overall enchanters have the advantage over shamans.

Yinikren
10-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Only issue I see on the naggy attempt is his aoe dispelling charm :)

Akim
10-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Both of them were not for me, I got both to 50 here during classic.
Kunark changes everything so I cannot comment, except, I'd roll a tank or monk if you have gear, they're a lot more fun.
Purely opinionated of course