PDA

View Full Version : Point distribution when rolling a character

oldfish
11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Tell me what im doing wrong in pt distribution please, or point me to a thread where this has already been said? Im gonna roll a character soon, and i know in classic its easier to gimp yourself than later on. Just copy paste it if you want with the starting stat you would pick and why if you feel like it. The one with no clue im not likely to roll them, but maybe if you feel like it again someone might use the info. Thanks!

bard: (this one im not sure, i want a "caster" bard that interrupts alot)

Cleric: All wis, rest dex

Druid: All wis, rest dex

Enchanter: All cha, rest int (this one im not sure at all)

Mage: All int, rest dex

Monk: All dex, rest sta

Necro: All int, rest dex

Pally: no clue at all

Ranger: no clue

Rogue: no clue

Ogre SK: All str, rest dex

Shaman: All wis, rest dex

War: All sta, rest dex

Extunarian
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
These are interesting.

Kika Maslyaka
11-01-2011, 05:22 PM
whats the obsession with DEX for non caster classes?
Unless you PLAN to be meleeing with a nice procing weapon, DEX does zilch for a caster. (bards excluded of course)

oldfish
11-01-2011, 05:24 PM
whats the obsession with DEX for non caster classes?
Unless you PLAN to be meleeing with a nice procing weapon, DEX does zilch for a caster. (bards excluded of course)

See, thats why im asking for advice lol

dcapotos
11-01-2011, 05:26 PM
In before the hardcore min/maxers say put all points in STA

Nagash
11-01-2011, 05:26 PM
For necro:

Min-Maxing (if you are going to be in a raiding guild and get access to uber stuff): 20 sta + 5 where ever

If not min-maxing: 20 sta + 5 int or 20 int + 5 sta, both are as valid

Overall: doesn't really matter, what matters is:
- mana regen which you will have plenty,
- hp regen, which you will have plenty through drain life spells,
- fun, which you will have plenty

On a side point for any toon, the only "important" one is making sure you have 75+ in agility so you don't suffer on your AC, rest pales compared to the fun value of your character. Note the quotation marks on "important": this will not make or break your character which can be very successful even without 75+ agility.

Nagash/Petitpas

Samoht
11-01-2011, 05:27 PM
read this: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2257

loopholbrook
11-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Yeah with non-casters you should put your points into agility. I think 100 agility=7 AC, not sure if that's right or not. As far as rangers, definitely put all your points into dexterity if you're going to be using your bow more than melee. Bard you should definitely go all charisma. And finally for rogue, not 100% sure on this, just what I do, I like to put it mainly in agility, and a bit in strength, but I'm not sure how effective it is, just what I've always done.

Snaggles
11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Pretty much everything here is wrong. Sorry. :(

read this: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2257

^--- Good discussion. dcapotos is also right.

oldfish
11-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Pretty much everything here is wrong. Sorry. :(

^--- Good discussion. dcapotos is also right.

yea readin it thx

Softcore PK
11-01-2011, 06:07 PM
For bard, go all STA. Min/maxer or no.

Pyronost
11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
If you take a look at the wiki page for each class, it actually lists these stats by race in detail for a large majority of them.

Samoht
11-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Wiki says it's wrong in most cases unless it specifies that it was updated for reality.

Pyronost
11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Er, can you clarify that? And where you see it stating that the information it gives is wrong in most cases?

Snaggles
11-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't say it's ideal for endgame. For starter/casual players it's decently accurate (more so than randomly picking points).

20-25 points won't make or break you after 60 levels of gearing. It might piss you off like a crooked picture frame though. :p

Samoht
11-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Er, can you clarify that? And where you see it stating that the information it gives is wrong in most cases?

from the monk guide:

Spending Your Bonus Points

Keeping in mind that a Monks primary role is inflicting damage, here are our suggested bonus point allocations:

Human: Add 20 to Strength.
Iksar: Add 20 to Strength.

(This section needs a realistic/modern update for p1999.)

Realistic/Modern statistic allocation:

Human: Add 20 to Stamina.
Iksar: Add 20 to Stamina.

it says that it needed realistic data, then someone added notes saying to put all stats in stam.

the rogue one is still wrong:

Spending Your Bonus Points

Here are our suggested allocations of your bonus points at creation:

Barbarian: Add 25 to Strength, 5 to Dexterity.
Dark Elf: Add 25 to Strength, 5 to Dexterity.
Dwarf: Add 25 to Strength, 5 to Agility.
Gnome: Add 25 to Strength, 3 to Agility, 2 to Dexterity.
Half Elf: Add 25 to Strength, 5 to Dexterity.
Halfling: Add 25 to Strength, 5 to Dexterity.
Human: Add 25 to Strength, 3 to Agility, 2 to Dexterity.
Wood Elf: Add 25 to Strength, 5 to Dexterity.

(This section needs a realistic/modern update for p1999.)

Pyronost
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
For monks, yes. I dont think that applies to the entire wiki as it was made out to be. And unless you're tank class, I dont see any reason as to why one would dump everything into stamina. If the intent is raid gear maxing other stats, thats great and all, but may I point out if the tank dies, you're going to die regardless of the extra few hundred HP or not at that level.

I stuck my stats where they were needed for ease of leveling. 25 int, or in my bards case, dex, goes a long way.

Samoht
11-02-2011, 09:20 AM
I stuck my stats where they were needed for ease of leveling. 25 int, or in my bards case, dex, goes a long way.

the point is that INT and DEX are the cheapest/easiest stats to max out, and anything above a certain point gives you diminishing returns until you hit 255, when they give nil returns.

to counteract that, you put your starting points in the hardest, most expensive stat to raise: stamina

eqravenprince
11-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Me being a casual player and never going to max out any single stat, this is general what I do. Remaining points, whatever floats your boat.

Melee class - STR
Priest class - WIS
Mage class - INT

Samoht
11-02-2011, 09:48 AM
diminishing returns start long before the stat is maxed out. take wis, for instance, which starts at 200. high elf cleric stats at 105 wis. 95 points later, and you'll wish you had put your starting points into something else (stam).

the wiki suggests putting points in agi, lol.

pickled_heretic
11-02-2011, 09:50 AM
the point is that INT and DEX are the cheapest/easiest stats to max out

DEX

lol?

L1ch
11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Samoht - you from Graffe's...? Name is familiar...

foxeye
11-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Does the STA recommendation also apply to Half-Elf druids trying to compensate for their gimped WIS? I never played my DRU above 40 back in the day, so I never learned how easy/hard it would be for one to get their WIS to max in classic EQ.

Samoht
11-02-2011, 01:09 PM
never really played a druid any higher myself (but i did have two below 40, one on SZ, one on progression server), but this was the only note i could find:

Pretty much the only classes that shouldn't put all points into stamina are mage, wizard, druid, and maybe enchanter.

so to answer: mage, druid, and wizard are OK to put points into INT/WIS where appropriate. nec, shm, enc, war, rog, mnk, pal, shd, clr, brd would all benefit from stam more in the long run.

Ele
11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Does the STA recommendation also apply to Half-Elf druids trying to compensate for their gimped WIS? I never played my DRU above 40 back in the day, so I never learned how easy/hard it would be for one to get their WIS to max in classic EQ.

The all STA argument for non-melee/tank classes only applies if you are going to min/max and attempt BIS for each piece of armor (Kunark/Velious).

pickled_heretic
11-02-2011, 01:24 PM
good luck hitting 200/200 on an enchanter. put your points into cha and/or int, you'll thank me later.

dex is a vital stat for bards, it determines song fail rate. i cannot fathom why you wouldn't put at least some points into dex. cha is also an important stat since you will be mezzing, lulling, and possibly even charming just like an enchanter. would a bard have 200/200/200 str/dex/cha at lvl 50 in full planar? idk but it doesn't sound very fucking realistic to me.

a warrior's ability to tank is irrelevant without his ability to hold aggro. dex = procs. it is not as easy to max out dex with gear as some people suggest.

if you sacrifice potential HP gear to stat gear because you don't have high enough primary stats, you didn't gain anything at all by dumping points into stam at character creation. just my 2cp.

falkun
11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Bards and warriors are the only two classes I can think of where I'd imagine adding DEX via starter points. DEX for those two at creation will save you headaches later in life.

raptorak
11-03-2011, 01:01 AM
I say max your primary stats as soon as possible - you will have a much better time levelling (take a long time unless ur a bard or getting p.levelled) and you free up slots for +mana,resists, or +hp. My enc is 51 and has 187 int, 156 cha so I've still a while to go before I get full on these two stats and I'm already 51.

If I was relying on procs I would go for dex and str equally. Any newbie should buy some platinum fire wedding rings ASAP (500pp), the best 500 you will ever spend.

I'd even (personally) recommend points in str for weak casters like DE since you will spend half the time over-encumbered, which means death especially when needing to run away. Human makes a good choice for any int caster because of their decent physical stats imo.

There is no point where I have felt I would like more stam and I'm at 15 days played. Maybe one day I will change my mind, but I'm more of a carpe diem kind of player.