PDA

View Full Version : SK Gear Question

Hailto
11-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I have around 10kish to spend on gear for an SK, could i get some recommendations on what i should focus on? Maybe a rough gear outline or something like that? Also i think im going to make a human, as i really hate the way Ogres and Trolls look even though i know they make the best SK, outside of the big races, Human is best right?

Korisek
11-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I understand Iksars' natural AC and regen are helpful for SKs too.

mostbitter
11-01-2011, 11:17 PM
humans arent the best anything. if you dont want to go troll/ogre go iksar.

tristantio
11-02-2011, 12:25 AM
If you do go human (or erudite) you can get the Flayed skin armor pretty cheap, which is as good or better than most other mid level armor (even decent AC).

Sword of Skyfire (10/22ish) is less than 500pp and makes a mean 1her while you are damage capped (sub 20/30).

Baa
11-02-2011, 12:53 AM
DE's make the best SK's - who cares about stats!

Nlaar
11-02-2011, 01:27 AM
first of all:
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Shadow_Knight#Gearing

consider a Jade Mace (2-3k?) as a weapon option.
Items you defn need to get:
Skull Shaped Barbute Helm 400p?
5ac 55hp rings 2x 500pp
Darkforge Legs 800pp?
Darkforge Boots 350pp?
Crested Spaulders 300pp
Enameled Black BP until you can afford DF BP 300 / 1k pp
total:
2000-3000 depending + 3k for weapon. Leaving 4-5k for filling in the rest.
sta earrings and 6 or 9 sta necklace
darkforge arms / hands
swirlspine belt for haste (if anyone even has one anymore) Thick Leather Apron (8ac and cheap)
clay guardian shield 1500-2k
etc

I would personally not bother with trying to get Mith2hander as there are much better 1hand alternatives. Save your money until you can get an actual decent (post classic) 2hand weapon.

DO NOT get sword of skyfire - it procs an AE.
Do not worry about getting a thick banded belt / diamondine earrings / hbc right away... those can come in time.

Mardur
11-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Nlaar is full of bad advice, first of all Sword of Skyfire won't proc until 45. You should use a 2hander as soon as you can find a decent one in your price range, otherwise stick to knight-only weapons if you can afford them (MoSS, Noctivigant Blade, Ebon Mace). A good two-hander will serve you much better than something like a Jade Mace. The price is heavily inflated on weapons like those due to them being a good dual wield option... since you can't dual wield, don't pay the premium.

Sword of Skyfire has a lot of good things going for it. First of all, the proc sucks so it's best < level 45. Secondly, it can't be used in the off-hand. Thirdly it's a common drop from a very popular camp. All these factors equate a pretty decent knight sword for a lowbie on the cheap. It even has some HP, which is nice as that's the most important stat at the lower levels.

I have no idea what a MoSS goes for on this server, but they used to be pretty cheap for a 19/29.

You'll want to save some plat for a CoS at level 30, that item will serve you better than just about any piece of gear.

Glam
11-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Its easy to do the SK Q armor if you are high lvl and twink your SK

here is the link - http://shadowknightwarrior.tripod.com/gridlox/id29.html

I have played Sk alot and love them and I should have done a Ogre since they are stun immune and have most HP of all classes, get you some shrink item and you are fine.

gl with your SK

Rainflush
11-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Personally I don't care much about which race is the "best" (apparently ogre, when applicable), instead concerning myself with which race seems the most interesting in combination with the class. Honestly, what advantage would justify disliking how your character appears? You'll be looking at them for hours on end!

Vasilyevich
11-02-2011, 09:15 AM
nathsar greatsword.

Nlaar
11-02-2011, 09:17 AM
So i forgot that sword of skyfire does not proc until 45... makes it a viable option
I still disagree with the sentiment that he should use a 2hander. Especially if he is playing a non ogre/troll race than he extra AC and extra HP offered by a sword n board combo is worth it. Plus bash from the shield for interrupting spells.

Finally the price is heavily inflated also on the SK only weapons... i do not know about the MoSS but the other ones range from 12-18k.

pickled_heretic
11-02-2011, 10:10 AM
MoSS runs for about 5k and is significantly better than a jade mace plus it has stats. on the other hand, you could get something like a deathbringer's rod for a 2h weapon with significantly higher dmg output, especially once you start getting a dmg bonus at 29+. deathbringer's rods are like, 500 plat, if that...

dps is king for sub 40. mobs dont have that much hp. the faster you kill, the less time a cleric spends healing you.

i would use a MoSS or better 1h and a nice shield if i could afford it. if i couldn't, i would definitely use a cheap effective 2h.

Snaggles
11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
First and foremost get a circlet of shadow. It's prob the class defining SK item and for give/take 1,000 pp you also get the ability to invis at level 20 instead of 30. A big deal since half the world hates you.

Second Plat Fire Wedding Rings. Then I would focus on getting high AC without breaking the bank. Dark Forge on some pieces will cost as much as Blood Ember, others like the Black Enameled BP or Tree Weave (if you don't mind fashion) are dirt cheap. Crank the AC even if it means player made Fine Steel pieces which weigh less than bronze and is affordable.

Next get a Sword of the Skyfire for like 200-400pp and a decent shield. You can rock it this way till level 20 and a 2hander will be the cost effective way to go. A noc blade is gonna cost a ton of money. A moss/wurmslayer will be decent if you have to go 1h/shield. A weapon like the Poison Wind Censer will cost you a fraction of it. (Edit: or DB rod as Pickled suggested)

If you are a grouping fiend get a moss or wurm (preferably when these two things drop in value). Or just use a cheap 2hander and let the healers deal with the lack of mitigation. They care more about you being able to hold aggro than the 10percent or so more dmg you're taking.

Oh, and yea....humans are average except in their faction and quicker leveling. You can wear flayed skin if you don't mind looking like Prince. You would be better off going Erudite (imho) as their stats are close to DE. Ogre, Troll or Iksar > all else though.

Hailto
11-02-2011, 02:36 PM
So Human is essentially the worst SK i could make? Human/DE are really the only two i could see myself making because the looks do matter to me, im not really a min/maxer, just curious.

pickled_heretic
11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
So Human is essentially the worst SK i could make? Human/DE are really the only two i could see myself making because the looks do matter to me, im not really a min/maxer, just curious.

if you want to play a human, play a human. you'll do less melee dmg and have about 100-200 less hp than an ogre, plus you won't have the coveted frontal stun immunity.

on the other hand, you won't be playing a toon that absolutely disgusts you. in a game like eq, feeling like your character is "just right" for you goes a long way toward longevity. i rolled a human sk and played him until 40 until i got sick of the exp penalty and the overcrowdedness of the only 2 populated dungeons at the time (before kunark, solb and lguk only basically). but i never felt regret over not rolling as a trogre.

Snaggles
11-02-2011, 03:12 PM

You will be able to hold aggro and tank any group that an Ogre/Troll/Iksar could. As mentioned you will have a few less hps but also a bit more STR/STA on average than a DE. It's a balanced toon. The class mechanics and your own skill gives you the ability to do great things as a SK.

From a min-maxer perspective (to make you feel better) the Human is the only SK medium race that can use Dain's Frostreaver in Velious. I only mention this because it's one of the more attainable raidish drops. Back on live we used to get newbie friends ports to loot it because they rot all the damn time.

Oh but don't go bucket helm or all the cool kids will laugh at you.

Edit: Forgot the Ashenbone shield from Hate. No big races.

Rainflush
11-02-2011, 11:13 PM
nathsar greatsword.

Agreed, this is a terrific two-handed weapon for low level characters. The damage is high enough that you should have no trouble frequently hitting for maximum damage, and it's a wonderfully fast weapon, which means at low levels you should be scything through your enemies with little trouble. The Mithril Two-Handed Sword is a superior weapon, although it should be noted that inherent weapon Haste, if I am not mistaken, is level-based, which means it's potential will not be realized till later in your characters career. The Nathsar Greatsword is also remarkably inexpensive, so yes, I wholeheartedly endorse this fine weapon.

Snaggles
11-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't have parses but the Mith should scale like all haste items. It's still impressive due to the speed.

The Nathsar is hard to beat for the price tho. The Mith is gonna cost you many times more and doesn't keep up with Kunark weapons for the same cash (or less). Once you start riposting those 30+ dmg weapons can put a smile on your face.

Mardur
11-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Item haste doesn't scale. Max from level 1.

Krissdu64
11-03-2011, 06:13 AM
make an Ogre / Troll / Iksar first. Then buy MoSS and Dark Forge armor with 5/55 rings and diamondine earrings. Then you're gtg

falkun
11-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Ya, but its hard to pass up a CoS. When they go away, the necro/SK game changes bigtime. Didn't the old SK boards have to ban discussion about that item due to its OP nature?

Snaggles
11-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Not sure but it certainly made the class. Invis on standup from FD, snare pulls and invis as you run...really trixy crap. :). At the least it's a great way to have 9 spells up.