PDA

View Full Version : P1999 pet xp today, experiences

martinrm4
11-05-2011, 04:13 AM
Im i interested on reading peoples experiences with the new pet xp system. The p1999 wiki pet guide was updated to say if your pet does 50% it grabs 75% xp.

As far As I Can read from these notes thats not exactly correct :
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=960

Before making updates, i World Line to har other Peoples view.

My experiences say that if a mage or enchanter pet or charmen mob does more than 50% dmg and is alive when mob dies, it grabs 50% xp.
But in a 2-person group this seems not to be the case - we get what seems to be full xp when in group.
Anyone else ?

Kasilis
11-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Jun 10th, 2002

martinrm4
11-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Yes, june 10 2002 the new pet xp rules were i introduced on live, but these also contain a reference to the old rules.
"How is this different than the old way for non-Dire Charmed pets? In the old scheme, if a pet did more than half of the damage to a monster, it took half the experience reward. "

It doesnt mention any specifics though, such what about grouping? Grouping with more than 1 pet?

webrunner5
11-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I am not sure how it is working but my 18 Mage is on hold for now. Big difference to me on XP now on it. Back to my Monk. :(

Bazia
11-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Need pet aggro fix, not really fair imo.

Messianic
11-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Need pet aggro fix, not really fair imo.

This is a really good point. It's tough to deal with classic pet xp without classic pet aggro (at higher levels w/ pets it's less noticeable, but still significant).

Softcore PK
11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm glad this nerf went in before server release, I hope we see less mages and necros griefing newbies.

martinrm4
11-06-2011, 03:05 AM
You say its unfair, but what exactly is the pet xp rules atm ?

I Think that you get normal xp when you group no matter hos much dmg your pet does, but would like some other opinions and experiences. Did everybody just drop playing pet casters ?

Grahm
11-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Server went from 98% mages to 95%. Confirmed.

bonehand
11-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Situation 1 - You are soloing and you have a summoned pet or a charmed pet (not including Dire Charm)- * If you do any damage to the monster at all, you get all of the experience. * If you don't do any damage to the monster, the pet gets 75% of the experience.
Situation 2 - You are in a group and you have a summoned pet or a charmed pet (not including Dire Charm)- * If you or your group do any damage to the monster at all, your group gets all of the experience. * If you or your group don't do any damage to the monster, the pet gets 75% of the experience.
Situation 3 - You are soloing and you have a Dire Charmed pet- * If you do half of the damage to the monster or more, you get all of the experience. * If you do less than half of the damage to the monster, the pet gets between 25% and 50% of the experience, depending on how much damage it did. * If you don't do any damage to the monster, the pet gets 75% of the experience.

This doesn't affect mages and necros like everyone is whining about...do one point of dmg, get full credit for you and your group.

What it does effect is the Dire Charmed pets...where you or your group MUST do >50% to get all of the experience, but it scales for the rest if you don't do 50%, and a flat 25% to you if the pets does all the damage. Dire charm is the whole reason this tweak came in, and I don't think we will ever get AA's to get Dire Charm..

Not Classic, but whatever, doesn't help or hurt anything.

Odeseus
11-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Playing as a mage (level 57) after the pet xp nerf, it is VERY annoying but isn't a reason to quit my mage quite yet. The big problem, as just about everyone has mentioned, is pet aggro.

For instance, I was killing guards in kaladim/BB for some xp. I had looked up their hp and did the math, I needed to nuke them 3 times to make sure pet didn't do 50% of the damage. I nuke once at 80%, which drops the mob to around 60ish%. At this point, its 50-50 on whether or not I'll have agro on me. If not, I wait till 50% to start casting another nuke. This drops to mob to 30% or so, and I have agro literally EVERY time. Now I have to pray root procs so I can get 1 more nuke off and more or less kill it.

If I wait till after 50% to nuke (say 40%) for the second time, I still get agro every time. But the big problem is that while kiting and hoping root procs, pet is still doing damage. Quite a few times pet would kill the mob before I could get the final nuke off, so pet steals the xp and all that work is for naught.

So since I have to kite mobs around at some point praying for root, I can't really do any dungeons or any areas that I don't have kite room. Really limits your choices in what you can kill. So either be ready to kill twice as many mobs as you would normally kill to gain a level, or be prepared to kite because of agro issues.

Now that I've typed all this, I thought of something. Since I have to nuke so much, I'm not chaining pets. I'm keeping the same pet because he isn't taking as many hits due to shorter fights and I don't send him into battle as quickly because I have to med up for 3 nukes before I even attempt to kill anything else. Possibly, if I gave my pet stun whips, that will be enough to keep agro while I nuke. Going to test this out later tonight.

webrunner5
11-06-2011, 08:54 AM
It is even a bigger problem for a Mage under level 48. Most all use the Fire pet which is pretty sorry with agro control. I am really not going to waste
my time on mine anymore unlesss there is a change. Dying sucks and gating
half the time to keep from dying is just as bad.

Low level Earth pet can't kill crap so you probably can out damage one but slow as heck XP.

Slave
11-06-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm glad this nerf went in before server release, I hope we see less mages and necros griefing newbies.

Because mages are such awesome pvpers.

Slave
11-06-2011, 10:07 AM
This change is more or less completely untenable with pet aggro issues.

martinrm4
11-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Have anyone tried grouping and letting pet kill a mob and see if you 100% xp? put your group member out of zone or out of xp range, them you Can easily compare xp with a non-grouped solo kill.

Nivar Quartz
11-06-2011, 12:30 PM
The nerf's to pet's 4 times over 6 months or so have been ridiculous really, not as intended, with that said, here's your self fix when soloing.

1. Engage your mob like normal, /pet attack with swords/daggers and burnout whatever buffed.

2. Nuke the mob with a low lvl nuke if u can handle the mob easily, like before.

3. Dismiss ur pet using focus item to regain most your mana back when the mob is at 1-2% health left, so all the dmg done to the mob is from the caster only and the pet hate list is gone.

4. Low lvl nuke once more, mob dead.

5. Recast pet with mana u regained from dismissing w/ focus item.

The only pain in the ass is having a bag full of summoned weapons / haste masks, but u save tons of mana not having to nuke for 50% and compete with your pet.

BTW on pet nerfs, i'm not sure how to put this in a adult manner without being disrespectful, STOP ALREADY! the aggro nerf and dmg nerf and previous ( Sept 2010 ) nerf because said fire pets where supposedly overpowered are conflicting now.

A little comparison to overpowered would be last week, ( week ending 11/6 ) a enchanter not to be named SOLO'D disc and NG in Sebilis and held those camps for quite awhile, ridiculous. A few months ago Monk were soloing the entire jail camp in Karnor's while camping for a T-staff, talk about overpowered.

/pet envy is all over this mofo, thats for sure.

webrunner5
11-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Oh I can't deny that Castors all are overpowered to everyone else. Even a Mage with the latest XP penality. Hell a Necro has and always has been crazy overpowed with everything they can do. Other then Port what else can't they do? But I hate playing one lol.

But the whole deal is here that the rules have changed and late into the game. Damn just keep it the way it was or give it up. Hell Looking into a spell book for a ton of levels was Classic but I don't see it here now???

Just quit changing the God Damn rules every week. I Know this is about the Useless RED 1999 that in the end about 25 people will be on!!!

Bazooka
11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
You need to personally do 50% damage to a mob (basically out damage your pet) and with pet aggro broken (You will catch and mantain aggro an entire encounter if you nuke) It is next to impossible to out damage them.

No Idea what you are talking about Bonehand.

Juugox2
11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
lol webrunner sounds like your mad about the pvp server

MrSparkle001
11-06-2011, 01:05 PM

If things are being changed on the main server because of it he has a right to be. WoW started messing with PvE for the sake of PvP (arena) and I didn't appreciate it one bit.

Hetjan
11-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I know this may be equal to what live was... But a mage has basically one thing going for him, his pet. If the agro was held better by my pet it would be okay but....

If you said that,

A wizard couldn't AE for more than 50% of the dmg or the game world would get a portion of the EXP.

A druid couldn't AE for more than 50% of the dmg or the game world would get a portion of the EXP.

A warrior couldn't use his sword for more than 50% of the dmg or the game world would get a portion of the EXP.

You see my point... A mage primarily has his pet as his weapon. Any penalties for using it is just silly.

Although whatever, these things happen and the game fun continues. Just a bit wierd is all to implement this sort of thing.

Softcore PK
11-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I know this may be equal to what live was... But a mage has basically one thing going for him, his pet. If the agro was held better by my pet it would be okay but....

If you said that,

A wizard couldn't AE for more than 50% of the dmg or the game world would get a portion of the EXP.

A druid couldn't AE for more than 50% of the dmg or the game world would get a portion of the EXP.

A warrior couldn't use his sword for more than 50% of the dmg or the game world would get a portion of the EXP.

You see my point... A mage primarily has his pet as his weapon. Any penalties for using it is just silly.

Although whatever, these things happen and the game fun continues. Just a bit wierd is all to implement this sort of thing.

I like the change because now mages (and necros to a lesser extent) will be more likely to group. Show those melees/clerics/whoever that you do care and want to be friends!

Grouping is good for you.

pickled_heretic
11-06-2011, 10:27 PM
I like the change because now mages (and necros to a lesser extent) will be more likely to group. Show those melees/clerics/whoever that you do care and want to be friends!

Grouping is good for you.

forcing people to group by nerfing mages and necros isn't going to make people group, it's going to make them reroll druids.

and god knows this server doesn't have enough fucking assling druids already

Softcore PK
11-06-2011, 10:27 PM
forcing people to group by nerfing mages and necros isn't going to make people group, it's going to make them reroll druids.

Sows and ports for all! :D

bonehand
11-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, if you are not getting full exp for killing a mob you did ANY AMOUNT of damage GREATER THAN ZERO and NOT getting full experience then this patch was put in wrong, or completely misunderstood...this was not SOE's way of disabling soloing for pet classes with summoned pets.

The change was Dire Charmed pets mainly, which said if you do >50% of the damage then you get full experience, and instead of 50% exp, you get 25% if you do no damage with summoned or regularly charmed pets. I think someone needs to setup a good UI with higher resolution XP bars and run some tests on a static spawn that is always the same level and see what gives what instead of complaining then take it and the section posted here and on the link someone posted above and call the dev out on it. It's not supposed to hurt your experience...

It's still not classic...

pickled_heretic
11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Sows and ports for all! :D

the kind of guys who rolled mages and necros to solo are not going to sow or port you when they are forced to go druid. they are going to go /anon and they are going to KS your shit any chance they get.

pickled_heretic
11-06-2011, 10:58 PM
besides, does anyone want any of these crappy mages / necros in their groups? none of them know how to group, they've been soloing their entire eq life. fucking pets breaking my mezzes nonstop ever since this change.

Nivar Quartz
11-07-2011, 12:12 AM
besides, does anyone want any of these crappy mages / necros in their groups? none of them know how to group, they've been soloing their entire eq life. fucking pets breaking my mezzes nonstop ever since this change.

Your credibility went out the window, next.

pickled_heretic
11-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Your credibility went out the window, next.

care to explain?

MrSparkle001
11-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Well, if you are not getting full exp for killing a mob you did ANY AMOUNT of damage GREATER THAN ZERO and NOT getting full experience then this patch was put in wrong, or completely misunderstood...this was not SOE's way of disabling soloing for pet classes with summoned pets.

The change was Dire Charmed pets mainly, which said if you do >50% of the damage then you get full experience, and instead of 50% exp, you get 25% if you do no damage with summoned or regularly charmed pets. I think someone needs to setup a good UI with higher resolution XP bars and run some tests on a static spawn that is always the same level and see what gives what instead of complaining then take it and the section posted here and on the link someone posted above and call the dev out on it. It's not supposed to hurt your experience...

It's still not classic...

No that's not what happened here. Originally we had the new system where if you did 1 point of damage you got 100% XP. They changed it to the old system where you have to outdamage your pet or suffer a 50% XP penalty. I've seen it myself, where if a mob resists one too many of my nukes I get a large XP penalty because my pet does the majority of damage.

The new system was fine, superior to the old system in every way. There's no reason to replace the new system with the old except to affect red99, or because "it was classic".

I feel the same about race/class XP penalties. Yeah it was classic, but it was also a boneheaded idea that was later repealed, and never repeated in another MMORPG (that I know of).

Slave
11-07-2011, 11:06 AM
RABBLE.

webrunner5
11-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Well I think is may be true that the Pet XP is related to Red 1999. They, the drevs, really don't want Mages running around killing the shit out of a Warrior
using a Orc Pick for a weapon lol. And that is what it will be for a lot of levels on Mellee classes. Piece of crap weapons while castors have killer nukes and
pets.

Just my thought.

quido
11-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Good. This server needs less lazy pissant fucking mages.

Nivar Quartz
11-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Good. This server needs less lazy pissant fucking mages.

Trolling solo class? heh

Ah the old days, when we solo'd side by side in karnors or burning woods. speaking of overpowered non-nerfed classes, you go shaman!

Buff up the raid, slow the mob, cast topher/gopher once or twice and canni spam the raid away :)

Awwalike
11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
cool story, stop posting in this.

HawkMasterson1999
11-07-2011, 07:05 PM
What about fire pets damage shield? Maybe its my imagination but it seems like DS damage doesn't count towards your pets percentage. At lvls 20 - 25ish with a fire pet I seem to get full exp from aviaks with just 1 or 2 nukes of 96dmg each.

Droxx
11-07-2011, 07:15 PM
This sucks. Been gone for like a couple of months. Gonna suck as a shaman imo! Slow + 1 dot won't outdamage my pet. :(

webrunner5
11-07-2011, 08:42 PM
This sucks. Been gone for like a couple of months. Gonna suck as a shaman imo! Slow + 1 dot won't outdamage my pet. :(

Hmmm . Never gave much thought to a Shaman pet XP. Interesting. That
could suck pretty big time if true. Shaman XP is pretty slow at times.

Softcore PK
11-07-2011, 08:55 PM
But shaman regain mana so quickly, compared to most other classes. Will throwing in extra nukes really make it so much worse?

Estu
11-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Between dot damage and melee damage, I feel like shamans can do a lot of damage to a monster relative to their pet. This is helped by the fact that the pet is at most a light blue con to the shaman.

bhatz01
11-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Poor change. Put it back.

Bazia
11-08-2011, 08:44 AM
This is now a NERF SHAMAN thread.

Tamiah2011
11-08-2011, 09:04 AM
This is now a NERF SHAMAN thread.

Learn to play a shaman,...noob

Slave
11-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Between dot damage and melee damage, I feel like shamans can do a lot of damage to a monster relative to their pet. This is helped by the fact that the pet is at most a light blue con to the shaman.

I soloed one to 54 in 8 days /played, and with the change I would have been quite worried... and I had a fungi, fbss, gfg, and jbb. It's certainly not against the realm of possibility that someone without 300k of gear would be down about this change and what it means for shaman exp. What it essentially does is dictate the exact method you need to be killing mobs, decreasing your gameplay options (and to much slower and inefficient ones at that).

Not very fun...

bhatz01
11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I look at classic as all or nothing. If pets generate 0 aggro, you can't allow pet xp to work this way. If pets are adjusted to hold significantly more hate, then you can keep this.

Choose one.

Sabin76
11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
What about fire pets damage shield? Maybe its my imagination but it seems like DS damage doesn't count towards your pets percentage. At lvls 20 - 25ish with a fire pet I seem to get full exp from aviaks with just 1 or 2 nukes of 96dmg each.

Unless I'm mistaken, DS damage of any kind is not attributed to anyone or anything. It basically lowers the mobs total HP.

Example: If a mob has 500 HP and the DS does a total of 150 damage, then you only have to do 176 damage ((500 - 150)/2 + 1) to get full XP, as opposed to 251 damage.

Droxx
11-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I soloed one to 54 in 8 days /played, and with the change I would have been quite worried... and I had a fungi, fbss, gfg, and jbb. It's certainly not against the realm of possibility that someone without 300k of gear would be down about this change and what it means for shaman exp. What it essentially does is dictate the exact method you need to be killing mobs, decreasing your gameplay options (and to much slower and inefficient ones at that).

Not very fun...

This.

Scratch&Sniff
11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Trolling solo class? heh

Ah the old days, when we solo'd side by side in karnors or burning woods. speaking of overpowered non-nerfed classes, you go shaman!

Buff up the raid, slow the mob, cast topher/gopher once or twice and canni spam the raid away :)

True! Its all True.

Also, here is a recipe for waffle cookies,

Step one.
Make Cookie dough.

Step two.
Insert cookie dough into waffle iron.

Best results if ultra high first.

mala
11-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I look at classic as all or nothing. If pets generate 0 aggro, you can't allow pet xp to work this way. If pets are adjusted to hold significantly more hate, then you can keep this.

Choose one.

THIS

SwordNboard
11-09-2011, 10:27 PM

Choose one.

+1

Athosblack
11-10-2011, 07:22 AM
55 necro here. I add 1 more DoT (3 in total) and I'm gtg. I use the rogue pet. I personally don't feel all that affected.

Chokan
11-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Choose one.

Agree

bhatz01
11-10-2011, 10:02 AM
55 necro here. I add 1 more DoT (3 in total) and I'm gtg. I use the rogue pet. I personally don't feel all that affected.

It's because you're not pet tanking. You want aggro so you can kite. As a mage we don't have the ability to snare and thus have to pet tank.

As a great example:

I'm running through LOIO last night with fire pet. A sarnak aggros me. I send pet on sarnak. It took a good 5 seconds for pet to pull him off me and I did 0 damage to the mob.

In true classic if you sent pet in on a mob you had not damaged it would pull it off you immediately. Very broken.

Athosblack
11-10-2011, 10:53 AM
It's because you're not pet tanking. You want aggro so you can kite. As a mage we don't have the ability to snare and thus have to pet tank.

As a great example:

I'm running through LOIO last night with fire pet. A sarnak aggros me. I send pet on sarnak. It took a good 5 seconds for pet to pull him off me and I did 0 damage to the mob.

In true classic if you sent pet in on a mob you had not damaged it would pull it off you immediately. Very broken.

Aye I agree. I Fear/Kite so I am at an advantage decidedly. I never played a mage before but talked to my guild mate and he mentioned they have no snare or fear.

For your class it's a serious cock punch.

bhatz01
11-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I feel like we are living an experiment to see what EQ would be like if mages couldn't solo