PDA

View Full Version : P99 Wiki

Flunklesnarkin
11-07-2011, 12:15 AM
I like to update wiki's in games i play and thought i'd give a shot at the p99 wiki..

It seems like a fairly blank canvas on which to build so thought i'd start adding a few templates here and there.

Once a template is out most people can make a page from scratch in under 5 mins...

It's something to do while camping PH's or just to share information and I've found wiki's helpful in a looot of games...

Easy place to track drop rates... or have a discussion on a particular item / event / quest... maybe not as in depth as a forum but can get basic questions answered easy.

Here is a page i made today (and i'm by no means a coding genius.. i just edit other template ive used before)

This could be a good way to display a piece of armor or a weapon.

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Talk:Main_Page scroll about halfway down

one thing you will notice is a lot of icons in red... that means there is no page to that link... all you would have to do is click on it to make that page and add in your info.

There would need to be a different set up for different types of pages and I'll see about making something for those at some point.

The biggest thing to remember is this isn't like regular wikipedia with editing nazi's or what have you... you don't have to fill out every single thing on a page.. you can make one or two updates and let somebody else finish later.

The important thing is that you can put in a bit of info that somebody else can build on.

One more thing i did is a redirect page also.

Notice how the WAR link when describing classes is in blue and the rest of the classes are in red.

Thats because i created a new page with one line

#REDIRECT [[:Warrior]]

that will redirect anybody who searches for WAR or clicks on a WAR link to the Warrior page.

Its a nice thing to help people not have to find the exact name of a page.

Can also help people who may need more information on a category or w/e... say they search for alcohol and see there isn't a page there.... could make a redirect like this #REDIRECT [[:Alcohol Tolerance]] or maybe #REDIRECT [[:Brewing]]

I did notice there isn't an easy mode button to create a fresh page on the p99 wiki atm and ill see about setting up one of those. If you want to make a page atm you have to either click on a red link or put something in your page surround by two brackets then click on it.

like say [[Waffles]]

Great wiki's aren't made over night... but once a wiki gets going.. it becomes an invaluable tool. (not to mention end up with a lot more information unlike restricted game sites like alla)

MrSparkle001
11-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Dwarves
Faction: Good
Race Abilities: Barrel Roll
Starting city: Kaladim
Available classes: Cleric, Paladin, Rogue, Warrior

Barrel Roll huh?

Flunklesnarkin
11-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Barrel Roll huh?

You never seen the awesome dwarf barrel roll lol

just jump while running it pretty sweet ;p

Mardur
11-07-2011, 03:34 AM
But it's not a barrel roll. It's a somersault.

Francois
11-07-2011, 04:04 AM
But it's not a barrel roll. It's a somersault.

No one cares what it really is. We just want to hear this voice in our heads.

http://www.411mania.com/game_article_pictures/13178.jpg

falkun
11-07-2011, 11:48 AM
To respond to the original poster:

Templates already exist:
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Help:Contents

Item Import tool:
http://www.destinati.com/project1999wiki/wikiUtils.php

Also, the bronze armor page exists:
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Bronze_Armor
Info is not provided for small/med/large because most players know how that works. Resale is not provided because NPC sale values are based upon factions that may not be the same between two PC sellers. Finally, the page you created does not contain the EC tunnel auction house data, which for something small like bronze armor might not matter, but for more mainstream items is invaluable.

You are free to contribute to the wiki and provide updates. But if you want to create massive overhauls to the system already in-place, I suggest you work with people that already contribute to the wiki to get the templates updated. Ravhin (http://www.project1999.org/forums/member.php?u=6613) has been very active with the wiki.

Flunklesnarkin
11-08-2011, 08:06 PM
yes falkun.. a template does already exist... I posted my major concerns about the current state of the p99 wiki on the wiki discussion board.

I invite people to discuss the current setup and format of the wiki over there... http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Talk:Main_Page

I started with a simple page set up .. an item / armor page and i listed my major concerns as:

1: It lacks critical information

* It lacks information on possible tradeskill recipes and which tradeskills
an armor / weapon bit is used in
* It lacks information on possible quests or key flags an armor/weapon
could be used in
* It lacks Merchant sale and resale values for armor / weapon
* It lacks merchant locations and zone's

2: It lacks a section set up and because of this it lacks a fast editing process.

*Most people who edit a wiki don't want to create an entire page...
they want to update a drop rate,

*add a new vendor merchant to an armor/merchant bit, make a quick
update to the maximum or minimum merchant sales price, or

*update the latest bazaar player sales information.

I listed an example of a fast edit process on the discussion page.

3: The current set up has a bazaar / sales chart that overshadows the other important information.

*Seriously look at a page lol look at the Small Bronze Helm page. it
takes up 50% of the page.

I'm not trying to say the effort previous people have put in is worthless or anything of the sort.

I'm just suggesting improvements to the look and functionality of the site and have made an example of a page.

I don't expect any design i put forth to be final or 100% complete but any good wiki should be able to grow and develop...

Once people get into the mentality of "we can't change the wiki" they get stuck in a rut.

Besides.. this is one of the smaller wiki's out there... it wouldn't take much to revamp it at this point.

Ravhin
11-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Anyone who is interested in a possible change to item pages can look / discuss further a new version:

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/User_talk:Jado818#.7FUNIQ4d90919b53e74aa0-h-4--QINU.7F_Example

toddfx
11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
I think a lot more people would help create pages if they were simply aware of Ravhin's utility (http://www.destinati.com/project1999wiki/wikiUtils.php). I was really surprised to see how easy and automated it is to generate pages for items and pretty much everything else now.

It's true that people are probably easily deterred from adding their own information & findings when they realize the page they are looking for doesn't even exist. A non-script based editing solution for the details would be great too, but getting the pages created is the first step. Getting the basic structure populated is key, and fortunately Ravhin has made that extremely easy.

More people just need to become aware of the utilities available. If we could get one of the big guns here to do a front-page news post about it, I think that would do wonders.

Flunklesnarkin
11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I think a lot more people would help create pages if they were simply aware of Ravhin's utility (http://www.destinati.com/project1999wiki/wikiUtils.php). I was really surprised to see how easy and automated it is to generate pages for items and pretty much everything else now.

It's true that people are probably easily deterred from adding their own information & findings when they realize the page they are looking for doesn't even exist. A non-script based editing solution for the details would be great too, but getting the pages created is the first step. Getting the basic structure populated is key, and fortunately Ravhin has made that extremely easy.

More people just need to become aware of the utilities available. If we could get one of the big guns here to do a front-page news post about it, I think that would do wonders.

Thats one of my goals posting here as well... It seems most if not all p99 players use these forums...

So this is the knowledge pool ;p

I think by updating the way the wiki is set up and making it easier for people to make changes could do wonders.

Not everybody wants to scroll through hundreds of lines of code on larger pages (experienced or not) to update a single drop rate or add a single merchant or bit of quest info.

sectional approach helps less experienced editors get comfortable with rearranging code w/o fear of messing up an entire page too.

Flunklesnarkin
11-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Hey all been a bit since i've posted in this thread... me and ravhin have been making progress on a new look for the p99 wiki and I think its coming along nicely..

I think the main thing we are discussing atm is a color scheme... I think charts with items lists/ merchant list/ w/e lists should have a color scheme behind them..

blue / red links on a white background can be a bit straining on the eyes.

I've also starting to work on a new integrated templates for the p99 wiki itself

I do find it a bit odd that the standard is to go to an off wiki webpage to create a template...

most wiki's i've seen have the templates on a page of its own.. and locked / protected but the code still viewable. That way people can link to the templates discussion page on improvements of the code or suggest changes. If changes are approved by the community then the code / template is updated.

Also having an integrated template you can link to one page and view all the varying tools w/o having to click drop downs.. just click on the template you want and go.

I've made an example of how an integrated template works on the Skill Jewelcrafting page..

the template page is Template: Move

The wiki has a lot of potential.. feel free to drop in and toss around ideas.