PDA

View Full Version : Hey all. Newcomer to P1999.

Flash
11-07-2011, 05:20 AM
*deleted* Had to reroll twice. Sorry. New thread going up.

Humerox
11-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Welcome to P1999! Hope your stay here is a good one.

There are plenty of people new to the game, or leveling alts, so you shouldn't have a problem meeting people. I don't know who has room for new recruits; hopefully someone will post here for you -- and you can check the guild thread.

What's your in-game name?

:)

Flash
11-07-2011, 06:47 AM
It's gonna be ZomgFlash, but I have no idea what class I'm gonna play yet. I've heard that Paladins get some nasty experience penalties, so I'm thinking about going Magician for my first toon.

Athosblack
11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Welcome to P99. Loads of lower level guild that will give you a chance to level with. Check out the guild discussion forum to get an idea. Most people in game are pretty legit. Have fun and welcome.

As to the xp penalties, search the forum as their are many good threads with details on class and race penalties.

Kimja
11-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Flash, welcome to P99! Moonlight Crusaders is a lower level guild of old friends who have come back to relive the "glory days" of EQ. Right now we are just having fun, leveling together, and enjoying the social aspect this great game! If you're interested do a /who all Moonlight and send a tell to inquire!

Kimja

Rhaj
11-07-2011, 08:33 AM
nm wrong post

gnomishfirework
11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Paladins have a 40% penalty. It isn't so bad. You just need to group, which you are going to likely do anyway. It's split in groups.

Magicians have a 75% penalty now. Well, actually they just need to do more damage than their pet, which makes the OPd fire pet kind of worthless. If the pet does more damage, the pet eats 75% of the exp.

Same with all pet classes, but I think it affects mages most.

I'd say just go pally. Exp is slow anyways. You are gonna hit max level eventually, anyway.

dcapotos
11-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Welcome.

Don't worry about the XP penalty, play what you enjoy. I suggest you hit up crushbone ASAP; the belt/crushbone pads/slave key quests + the zone exp mod is the best you can get to get you to your first tier of spells fast. (Do yourself a favor and just make a dwarf to save yourself the trip and have an awesome barrel roll.) The zone is fairly popular these days and groups are common, if not, start one. Also, save all the scalps you find for the quest turn in at highpass. My rogue went from 11-14 turning in over 100 of those that I accumulated leveling, but you will probably need someone to help invis you to get you there safely.

Softcore PK
11-07-2011, 11:13 AM
You might want to consider waiting a little over a week for the new pvp server to release. You'll have a fresh start at the same time as everyone else; the blue (pve) server seems a little top heavy. PvP is also more fun !

And don't pick a race you'll hate like dwarf just for starting location, it's not a huge hassle to run somewhere and get a bind usually. Welcome to Project 1999!

Leeyuuduu
11-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I agree with the Crushbone statement..there were over 20 people there last night, actually started to feel kind of crowded, but very easy to find a group. With the XP modifier for CB, and the faction grinders paying ~3pp per orc scalp (a good option for non-twinks who might need money > xp) and 1-2pp per belt/shoulderpad it's hard to beat as a lowbie leveling area.

falkun
11-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Experience Penalties (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Game_Mechanics#Race.2FClass_Experience_Penalties)

Remember that EXP. penalties multiply, not add, so an iksar shadow knight requires 68% more experience than baseline, not 60 (1.4 [SK penalty] x 1.2 [iksar penalty] = 1.68 or 168%). It also works the other way, like for Ogre Warriors, who require 3.5% more experience than baseline ( 0.9 [warrior bonus] x 1.15 [ogre penalty] = 1.035 or 103.5%).

As far as penalties, soloing, and whatever else goes...play what you want to play. This is a classic server with normal experience rates, so you are going to be looking at whatever character you pick for a long time. Don't pick it because its the best at end-game, it'll be a while before you get there. Pick the race, class, diety, and bonus stats that you want for the journey, because the journey -is- the destination.

dcapotos
11-07-2011, 11:30 AM
And don't pick a race you'll hate like dwarf just for starting location, it's not a huge hassle to run somewhere and get a bind usually. Welcome to Project 1999!

BARREL ROLL! how could anyone hate that?

Softcore PK
11-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Dwarves = gross

dcapotos
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Dwarves = gross

Your face

Flash
11-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm going with Magician for my first toon. I'll just be cautious about my pet. I'm hoping that people will often ask me to conjure food/water/bandages for them.

Lv2, 20 plat, full cloth armor, cracked staff, greater lightstone. lol

My character name is Zomgflash

Awwalike
11-07-2011, 04:47 PM
get out while you can.

Amelinda
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Welcome :)

Flash
11-07-2011, 05:11 PM
get out while you can.

What?

Anything magic that I can buy with 20 plat? Using a cracked staff right now. lol

Vondra
11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm going with Magician for my first toon. I'll just be cautious about my pet. I'm hoping that people will often ask me to conjure food/water/bandages for them.

Lv2, 20 plat, full cloth armor, cracked staff, greater lightstone. lol

My character name is Zomgflash

The majority of your requests will be for summoned weapons because people need them for their pets.

Summoned thrown items for monks too, they ask for those fairly often.

Flash
11-07-2011, 05:59 PM
The majority of your requests will be for summoned weapons because people need them for their pets.

Summoned thrown items for monks too, they ask for those fairly often.

That's fine too. It's at least nice to be able to help anyone willing to ask.

Flash
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Well, Lv4 now with my first pet. I'm hunting in EC now. All the auctions for stuff I can't afford with my 25pp is disheartening, and it doesn't seem like people want Magicians for grouping, but ah well. Keep trying.

Vondra
11-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, Lv4 now with my first pet. I'm hunting in EC now. All the auctions for stuff I can't afford with my 25pp is disheartening, and it doesn't seem like people want Magicians for grouping, but ah well. Keep trying.

Once you get up to 7 or so you should be able to go group at the orc camps in EC then be fine for quite a while. Can hang out there for a bit then maybe join dervish groups in north ro for a bit...then on to oasis in the teens.

It isn't your class, people just don't really group much yet at lev 4.

Flash
11-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I do orcs in EC until about 10-12, then move on to dervish bandits in WC until 16-17, then orcs in Highpass, then goblins in Highhold until 25ish.

Flash
11-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Level 6. Skimping and saving as I go, about 45pp altogether. Spending my time at Orcs 1 in EC.

At least Magicians don't need lots of equipment in the beginning to do well. Once I hit Highpass Hold I'll try to upgrade my cloth crap if I have any notable money. Until then I'm gonna be doing the Dervish camp in WC from 12-17.

Moggster
11-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Levels 12-18

Nybright Sister camp in Lesser Faydark. 6 min timer. Located next to the entrance to Mistmoore. Easily breakable camp even at level 12, has 4 very low HP rogue mobs that drop bronze weapons in addition to low level gems/stones. There is a vendor right there in the zone as well if you are a good race

equipment $ i personally was there till 19 (very slow 18-19) but raked in about 1.5kpp from 12-19

Flash
11-08-2011, 02:23 AM
It's basically the same in WC, a Dervish Cuttthroat camp very close to a vendor, with easily pullable mobs. The only worry is a few of them are casters.

By the way, it might be wrong to ask, but I'd like to roll a monk on the side, so if anyone has any spare equipment they're not using that would go well on a monk, like Wu's Fighting Armor or a staff, I'd be happy to take it. =)

Flash
11-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm giving up on the Mage and rerolling Monk. Mage is far too squishy and dies too much when pet fails to pick up aggro/stay alive, and my nuke at Lv6 is pitiful. I don't think I can make it to the higher levels with this type of class.

Does anyone have any spare Monk gear just collecting dust, like Wu's armor or a staff?

Vondra
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm giving up on the Mage and rerolling Monk. Mage is far too squishy and dies too much when pet fails to pick up aggro/stay alive, and my nuke at Lv6 is pitiful. I don't think I can make it to the higher levels with this type of class.

Does anyone have any spare Monk gear just collecting dust, like Wu's armor or a staff?

May want to consider a class like Shaman, Cleric, or Enchanter...who can be effective while gearing up. Monk is kinda a PITA trying to raise money with as a first class due to the weight restrictions. Servicable gear for the 3 classes above is quite cheap and all are group friendly. Shaman and Enchanters are also good soloers.

Flash
11-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't think I'd have to worry about that in a group since it only affects your AC, and I won't be tanking...not main tanking, anyway.

Szeth
11-08-2011, 05:40 PM
and ac here does nearly nothing

Softcore PK
11-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Try a druid if you want to solo imo. Or bard.

Juugox2
11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
and mage isnt a solo class?

pickled_heretic
11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
and mage isnt a solo class?

not anymore.

Flash
11-08-2011, 06:37 PM
not anymore.

What happened to them?

pickled_heretic
11-08-2011, 06:42 PM
50% exp nerf if the pet does more than 50% dmg. it would be equivalent to a 50% exp nerf if aoes do more than 50% dmg for druids. but that wasn't 'classic.'

Flash
11-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm going monk because I like the aestetics to the class, and they have a lot of skills that I value. Notably:

Safe Fall.
Mend.
Round Kick/Flying Kick.
Feign Death.

Lots of stuff to ensure survival, so I won't die as often. It's a class I used to play so I might do better.

I really do wish I had a 2h staff to fight with though. Using a cracked staff at the moment. Need to find out how much Wu's Quivering Staff costs, and if I can afford one by WC.

Flash
11-08-2011, 09:36 PM
I didn't really have an issue with the Mages exp penalty, I had a problem with how squishy both the mage and his pet was, and how the pet was unable to hold aggro after a single weak nuke.

Lv3 Monk, rocking 2 splintered clubs and cloth armor. >.< lol

Flash
11-09-2011, 12:57 AM
If anyone wants to hit me up in-game, my characters name: Itstheflash

Can I raise my Blacksmith/Tailoring into the 100s without being funded? I'm trying to work on them right away.

Moggster
11-09-2011, 01:38 AM
If anyone wants to hit me up in-game, my characters name: Itstheflash

Can I raise my Blacksmith/Tailoring into the 100s without being funded? I'm trying to work on them right away.

not a chance can get to the 30-40 range with a like 20pp or so but no where near 100's

Flash
11-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Well, I'm sure you guys are gonna laugh at me for this one, but I never knew that being over 14 pounds as a Monk would kill your Armor Class. That threw off my play style of holding 8 bags and stuffing my inventory to the brink with vendor trash.

So I'm rerolling AGAIN, this time a Paladin.

SlankyLanky
11-09-2011, 02:58 AM
this thread realy makes me want to give you gear for your class that youv chosen in the last 10 minutes,

Flash
11-09-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with this one. lol

I'm not leaving Freeport this time until my Blacksmith is 25 from Rusty Weapons.

SlankyLanky
11-09-2011, 03:15 AM
nah im good.

Flash
11-09-2011, 03:16 AM
nah im good.

=( Did I do something to annoy you?