PDA

View Full Version : New intro thread: Sorry. Lv3 Paladin new to P1999.

Flash
11-09-2011, 04:17 AM
Sorry about this; I felt I had to make a new thread since I had rerolled my character twice. This was due to me either not being satisfied with the class and how it plays, or being unaware of a bump in the road that would be counter-productive to my style of play.

As it is now, I have definitively and conclusively settled on a Paladin for my first toon. This was my first toon on Live, so I know exactly what to expect. Whether or not I can survive (this was in the days of Luclin) is another issue, but I'll do my best to try.

Any advice for Paladins on P1999? I'm using a plain two-handed sword at the moment and saving up for Leather armor, while slowly building my Blacksmithing and Tailoring.

Again, sorry for the extra thread; I didn't foresee that I'd be changing classes this much finding one to settle on. It was my bad. And thank you very much to everyone that has helped me thus far, whether it was advice or a warm welcome. I truly appreciate it.

Diggles
11-09-2011, 04:21 AM
Look pathetic in the tunnel and ask around for buffs.

Flash
11-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Look pathetic in the tunnel and ask around for buffs.

lol, seriously? Don't players look down on beggars/panhandlers?

Diggles
11-09-2011, 04:40 AM
you're not necessarily begging, just asking for a little mana.

Pyronost
11-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Check the "Ikthars Armor" or whatever the hell its called there in freeport. Usually a lot of people sell the banded armor they make to the merchants there and you can buy it decently cheap. I got almost a full set that way.

Estu
11-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Don't worry too much about gear or tradeskills. Make your first priority leveling up in dungeons; dungeon monsters relatively early on (level 10-20) will drop leather, chain, and even plate for you, as well as minor weapon upgrades. When you build up a nest egg from selling stuff you find while leveling (whether to merchants or to other players), you can go to EC and have a little shopping spree. The game is not meant for you to be uber-geared at level 5 or 10 or whatever; you can get by perfectly well with the stuff you find just leveling, particularly as a paladin.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
so what class are you going to be today? necromancer maybe? how about a druid. druid seems like a good fit for you.

Eldaran
11-09-2011, 11:23 AM
so what class are you going to be today? necromancer maybe? how about a druid. druid seems like a good fit for you.

LOL leave the guy alone. Paladins are pretty fun OP. Maybe I can run my cleric with you sometime. He's like level 13 though.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 11:25 AM
LOL leave the guy alone. Paladins are pretty fun OP. Maybe I can run my cleric with you sometime. He's like level 13 though.

psst.... dont tell him about the paladin exp penalty

Eldaran
11-09-2011, 11:26 AM
SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :D

Extunarian
11-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Gotta agree with Estu - unless you really want to blacksmith just start leveling up and wear what you collect, and then supplement that with the occasional trip to EC.

Your main role (as you surely know) is to hold agro and take damage. Your spells handle the agro portion for you, and below level 20 the weak mobs you are fighting could essentially be tanked naked by any knight/warrior.

Just use leather armor and keep your eyes peeled for bronze, and be aware of any money or xp generating quests in the area. By the time you are in your low 20's you should be able to afford a plate or bronze item in most slots, as well as some basic jewelry.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 12:02 PM
i'm conflicted. i think it's fun to make your own shyte. like blacksmith or tailor your armor, tailor your bags cook your food (like bringing vinegar and a skewer to guk so you can make froglok pickles as you kill frogloks). but it's definitely not the most efficient way to go about it, the fastest way to level is to spend 100% of your time grinding with only deviations being to acquire critical gear upgrades.

i respectfully disagree with the previous poster, imo you should save your money for a sick pally weapon like a poison wind censer. you will collect a suit of bronze anyway as you level up probably. that way you are contributing a ton of dps to any group you join which speeds your overall exp rate and saves the healers mana (per mob killed) too. after that, your gear upgrades should be a pair of 55 hp rings, then slowly fill out your empty slots and bronze with statted armor with hp, str, and good ac (in no particular order).

Flash
11-09-2011, 12:19 PM
I already know about the 40% exp penalty for Hybrids. That I can live with.

Right now I'm using a rusty two-handed sword. My priority right now is getting my Blacksmith high enough to create Banded armor, and saving up enough money for a weapon, like maybe a Nathsar Greatsword. After that, HP55 rings.

P.S: It's alright, let pickled make fun of me. He's right, I've changed classes twice already. lol

Eldaran
11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
I should be playing my human cleric named Eldred some nights between 8pm and 12am Eastern. Hit me up.

Flash
11-09-2011, 12:38 PM
If you wanna get in touch with me in game, my characters name is Foxhound.

And this is my grind song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8VFMZ6_g8&feature=related

Eldaran
11-09-2011, 12:41 PM
great song! ill look for you in game. will probably be on tonight and/or tomorrow night.

Extunarian
11-09-2011, 12:43 PM
i respectfully disagree with the previous poster, imo you should save your money for a sick pally weapon like a poison wind censer.

I don't think we disagree, I was just saying what he can do for essentially no money. Once he gets the 700-1k for a PWC he should certainly buy that, as well as 5/55 rings.

Don't bother with the nathsar greatsword imo. I parsed my 20 warrior using a Poison Wind Sensor vs a 23 warrior using the nathsar sword and she only did ~22% of damage per mob to my ~60%.

Flash
11-09-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think I'll be able to afford something like that for a long time. I'm having enough trouble saving up money for small ore. lol

My blacksmith is going up nicely though. =)

Eldaran
11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
blacksmithing is too expensive to do on your first character. you would be better to just grind and save money. If you go to Greater Faydark usually high level people come and give all kinds of armor away. my level 7 pally has full bronze almost from a nice high level Cleric.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't think I'll be able to afford something like that for a long time. I'm having enough trouble saving up money for small ore. lol

My blacksmith is going up nicely though. =)

what is your objective with raising blacksmithing? are you going to actually sell goods to make money or are you doing it just for personal use?

selling banded to make money is doable, but very time consuming. if you are doing it just to gear yourself up, it is a colossal waste of time and money.

save your money. you will have 1k by lvl 30 or so (or sooner, if you are frugal and know places to earn a few coins). then you get a pwc which you can use until 45 when it starts proccing.

if you are so insistent on that suit of banded that you must have it, you can buy one from a smith for 100plat. which is far, far less than what you'll pay trying to level up your smithing to make it yourself.

Flash
11-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm actually raising both my smithing and my tailoring so that I can craft newbie gear for my future toons, not just my pally. Banded for most of them, Wu's for the Monk.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm actually raising both my smithing and my tailoring so that I can craft newbie gear for my future toons, not just my pally. Banded for most of them, Wu's for the Monk.

100 plat for each new toon? 1k maybe for a set of wu's? you could make a monk and 5 new characters, suit them up with banded or wu's, and still not be even close to the amount of money invested into the skills.

i don't mean to be rude but let me point out something. you posted in the guild section that you are interested in progression. from the perspective of a guild, you have absolutely the worst mindset when it comes to progression. you want to take your time, work on tradeskills. you already have plans to gear out alts and you don't even have a character above level 3!

play the game how you want. but if you're looking for advice on how to play, and you expressed some interest in progression, you need to get out of your mindset. exploit this topheavy economy as much as you can and try to burn through levels asap.

Flash
11-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Alright, I guess I can slow down on the crafting. I have 68 Smithing anyway.

Even so, it's not like I'm getting any kind of tangible money from rusty weapons and cloth armor.

Szeth
11-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Get to lvl 20 or so. Then go kill sisters in Lfay and sell their bronze weapons to the vendors there.

From there you can find somewhere to level until 30, when you can kill guards in Misty Thicket who drop an 11pp spear each and some platinum.

If you level exclusively at these two spots during those ranges, by lvl 40 you should have a decent stock of platinum.

It's certainly nice to have gear when youre starting out, but you only NEED new gear once you start tanking for real groups in the upper 30's to low 40's.

Hope that helps.

Flash
11-09-2011, 01:37 PM
I can do without the armor for a while, but I really will need something better than a vanilla two-hander by the time I start hunting Dervish Bandits at Lv12. When I hit WC I do the Dervish Camp from 12-17; they drop bronze weapons, coin, and ivory.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Alright, I guess I can slow down on the crafting. I have 68 Smithing anyway.

Even so, it's not like I'm getting any kind of tangible money from rusty weapons and cloth armor.

topheavy economy. roll those words around in your head for a while. what are you doing? selling unwanted crap to vendors for a pittance? totally the wrong way to go about it. right now, there are a lot of high level players with both a ton of extra plat and a ton of extra high level awesome items (which there is very little demand for). you need to insert yourself somewhere in the flow of goods so you can earn a fair wage for your time.

you need to be 1. providing services to these high level players which are too trivial for them to do themselves and 2. use the currency you acquire from these services to acquire the goods you need to be an effective partymember.

what do high level people want that you can help with? faction. gnoll scalps, deathfist belts, and bone chips are all in very high demand for their ability to make traditionally kos races non-kos. crushbone belts and shoulderpads are also key items. high lvls will want these in bulk and they will pay well for them. bone chips especially, easy to farm (esp for paladins) and will net you between 5 and 20 plat per stack. wait for the right buyer and try to hit the high end. i know someone in one of my old lvling guilds who had earned 2k by lvl 16 farming bone chips and selling them to priveleged customers who paid a premium.

getting the money is the hard part, spending it is easy. kunark loot comes to east commonlands practically by the truckload and it is very cheap. just sit in ec and you will see tons of stuff getting sold for basically peanuts. be picky and wait for the right item, don't grab the first thing that you can see that you can afford. because in general, these items have a very low resale potential.

Flash
11-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I've got about 8 stacks of bone chips saved up.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I've got about 8 stacks of bone chips saved up.

there you go. should get you 100 plat minimum, maybe more. there's your suit of banded right there, though it would be a waste to spend it on that. keep farming and shoot for that pwc.

ironically, some of the best places to sell them are places where people go to farm them. high lvls go there to farm chips, you can sell direct to them and save them some time.

Flash
11-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Honestly, Kunark stuff doesn't interest me that much.

How long will I have to wait for Velious stuff, so I can go farm Geodes in Crystal Caves and stockpile Velium/Chipped gems?

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Honestly, Kunark stuff doesn't interest me that much.

How long will I have to wait for Velious stuff, so I can go farm Geodes in Crystal Caves and stockpile Velium/Chipped gems?

you're saying that a 20/28 2hb you can acquire for less than 1k doesn't interest you?

Flash
11-09-2011, 02:05 PM
you're saying that a 20/28 2hb you can acquire for less than 1k doesn't interest you?

There's no way a weapon with a proc like that only costs 1k, where as an INFERIOR Wu's Quivering Staff costs more...

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 02:14 PM
There's no way a weapon with a proc like that only costs 1k, where as an INFERIOR Wu's Quivering Staff costs more...

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Poison_Wind_Censer

price ranges from 750 to 2k, 1k is definitely obtainable if you are patient. the proc ruins the weapon for anyone who is lvl 50+ as it hits the user.

don't know what else to tell you.

phobus
11-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Wu's Quivering Staff is Monk-only and way common. Oh, and it's cheaper than a Poison Wind Censer.

The PWC has an AE Proc (read: you don't want to use it anymore once you're high enough for the proc to work) and the negative resistance isn't very attractive either.

Flash
11-09-2011, 02:18 PM
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Poison_Wind_Censer

price ranges from 750 to 2k, 1k is definitely obtainable if you are patient. the proc ruins the weapon for anyone who is lvl 50+ as it hits the user.

don't know what else to tell you.

I'll look into it.

Level 4, in EC, grinding the hell out of spiderlings and pumas.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 02:29 PM
I'll look into it.

Level 4, in EC, grinding the hell out of spiderlings and pumas.

a cheaper alternative that lets you use a shield would be a sword of skyfire. you can get one for 300 at the low end up to 500, once again you'll have to wait for the right buy. but it's a 10/22 which is an amazing ratio for a 1h, especially for people below lvl 10 as it is not damage capped.

gave 2 of em to charmed pets last night in crypt. actually, gave 3 of them, but it turns out they can't be dual wielded by pets (primary only). it was pretty lolzy but the aoe would occasionally break mezzes which was annoying from time to time.

personally i'd wait for the PWC

Kope
11-09-2011, 02:32 PM
NT

Flash
11-09-2011, 02:44 PM
All the auctions are tempting.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 02:50 PM
All the auctions are tempting.

sword of skyfire or pwc. those items are extremely undervalued for noobs because their procs ruin them for high lvl characters. don't buy anything else. anything with a .4 delay:dmg ratio or worse for 1h, and a .6 ratio or worse for 2h, proc or not, is not worth a penny to you. that includes items like sword/club of ykesha. nathsar greatsword. and so forth. keep focused and don't spend your money on crap you don't need, that's what newbs do. you aren't a newb, you're just starting a new character.

Flash
11-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Sword of Skyfire it is then. I want to be able to use a shield and Bash. I'll go back to the 2h when I start working on acquiring Soulfire.

Then again, that PWC would probably be better, seeing as I'll need a high 2h skill later.

Eldaran
11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Sword of Skyfire it is then. I want to be able to use a shield and Bash. I'll go back to the 2h when I start working on acquiring Soulfire.

Then again, that PWC would probably be better, seeing as I'll need a high 2h skill later.

buy both and alternate. I guarantee your 1h skill will be capped before you level again and you can switch to the 2h to keep both skills up.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 02:58 PM

2hb is not the same skill as 2hs. pwc won't help you use your soulfire, sorry.

with that said, you have a long, long way to go before you should even think about your soulfire. and the 30 minutes or w/e you have to spend leveling up your skill once you get it should be auxiliary compared to the amount of time it takes to lvl up to the point where you will start thinking about acquiring a soulfire.

Eldaran
11-09-2011, 03:01 PM
2hb is not the same skill as 2hs. pwc won't help you use your soulfire, sorry.

with that said, you have a long, long way to go before you should even think about your soulfire. and the 30 minutes or w/e you have to spend leveling up your skill once you get it should be auxiliary compared to the amount of time it takes to lvl up to the point where you will start thinking about acquiring a soulfire.

dude is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for all the posts in this thread man. seriously.

Flash
11-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Speaking of that, I wonder how much someone would charge to kill Lucan and Xicotl.

And yeah, thanks man. Lots of useful information. Knowledge is everything to me.

Nirgon
11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Sorry to say Sir Lucan is camped so people can have complete heal from inventory and not only tanks do it.

Flash
11-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I never see anyone fighting him; he's always just standing there.

Snaggles
11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't even dance down the road for the Soulfire until you know you will be in a guild for your epic. Otherwise it's a ton of time and heartache for a subpar weapon (regardless of the awesome 5 charges of win).

Sword of Skyfire is a nice trainer for a Sword of the Morning eventually. It's also about 10 times cheaper. You should keep a 1h and bash pretty high in skill. It just sets you up for a Ghoulbane (or SotM) later. In a high dps group having a shield gives you a mitigation edge and allows you to bash.

For a 2h the PWC is awesome. Also the Baton of Faith sells for nothing and seem even more plentiful because only a fraction of the classes can use it.

I'd prob go skyfire/ghoulbane till 20 and switch to a real clubber from that point out when your dmg caps lifts further. That or solo undead in Unrest 20+ like a p!mp. Most importantly just pick a class and start trucking, that exp penalty sucks but rerolling is the worst kind and you stay broke forever.

Flash
11-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Is 120pp enough to get a Sword of Skyfire?

Snaggles
11-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Is 120pp enough to get a Sword of Skyfire?

Somewhere 300-500. Of course, there are people who have been given things but you can't throw that into the economics.

Keep leveling on skeletons and sell the chips in the tunnel with a sad little message, someone might give you 10-15pp per stack. There is such a lack of twinked toons that people occasionally have a heartbeat of compassion.

Flash
11-09-2011, 04:58 PM
I thought this would be like Grand Creation, where 99% of the Level 1-3 players are decked in full Kunark twinks.

500 isn't too bad though.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 05:02 PM
I thought this would be like Grand Creation, where 99% of the Level 1-3 players are decked in full Kunark twinks.

500 isn't too bad though.

a lot of them will be, you won't for sure though.

Diggles
11-09-2011, 05:06 PM
ghoulbane god damn it

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 05:10 PM
ghoulbane god damn it

can't believe i forgot about the almighty ghoulbane. yeah this is a solid choice over skyfire for a similar (slightly higher) price point. one of the few old world weapons that still remains useful with the release of kunark. however you suck.

Flash
11-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Ghoulbane isn't an option until 30, at least. I need a full party in Upper Guk to even consider that weapon.

pickled_heretic
11-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Ghoulbane isn't an option until 30, at least. I need a full party in Upper Guk to even consider that weapon.

sigh. you're going to be buying it, not farming it.

Flash
11-09-2011, 05:13 PM
sigh. you're going to be buying it, not farming it.

It's No Trade though.

Snaggles
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
It's No Trade though.

Once upon a time it wasn't. This is that time.

Flash
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I should stop relying on ZAM for my information then.

How much does it typically sell for in EC?

Diggles
11-09-2011, 05:23 PM
It fluctuates a lot, but the average I see it for is 600-800

Diggles
11-09-2011, 05:24 PM
I got mine for free after looking pathetic for cleric buffs, so yeah

Flash
11-09-2011, 05:24 PM
I'll keep an eye out for it then. But I don't expect to be able to afford it until level 15 or so, so I'll just have to survive until then.

Snaggles
11-09-2011, 05:28 PM
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Ghoulbane

Flash
11-09-2011, 08:46 PM
I'll definitely keep an eye out for it then. Thanks.

Spending my time at EC tunnel auctioning "150 bone chips for sale. I'm new and need plat for a better weapon. =)"

Nirgon
11-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I never see anyone fighting him; he's always just standing there.

SS + timestamp or it didn't happen.

Flash
11-09-2011, 09:13 PM
*shrug* I went exploring the Freeport Militia House of the People looking for Guard Alayle, and there he was, Sir Lucan D'Lere. If you don't believe me that's your choice, but I know what I saw.

Flash
11-09-2011, 11:44 PM
How is a Green Jade Broadsword?

Snaggles
11-10-2011, 12:30 AM
It's great looking and affordable at about 400pp. Ratio wise it's the same as the Ghoulbane but trades the proc for stats. Ratio wise the Skyfire is a bit better than both (slightly).

Here is a list:

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Special:ClassSlotEquip/Paladin/Primary

The GB proc is flat nasty. Early on it prob will do half again your dmg. Shame it looks dumb but oh well :).

Flash
11-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Thanks to some generous people and hard grinding I think I'm doing pretty good now. I'm almost level 6, and I have:

Green Jade Broadsword.
Full banded armor.
Cheap STA +2 earrings.
One 55HP ring.

Snaggles
11-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Kudos! :). Keep the faith, as you know it only gets better.

Eldaran
11-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks to some generous people and hard grinding I think I'm doing pretty good now. I'm almost level 6, and I have:

Green Jade Broadsword.
Full banded armor.
Cheap STA +2 earrings.
One 55HP ring.

awesome dude!

Flash
11-10-2011, 03:43 PM
1-8 are hell levels for a Paladin, in my opinion. Until you get spells at 9.

Flash
11-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Level 7, halfway to 8.

I'm really itching for a Sword of the Morning. lol

Flash
11-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Level 9, and the hell stage is over. I finally get access to my first spells and feel like I'm not a piece of crap to general experience parties. They're not much, but they're a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Equipment update (more generous folk, I cannot thank you all enough, especially Ozie):

Sword of the Morning.
Bark Shield.
Full Banded armor.
55 HP rings x2.
Hooded Black Cloak.

Was wondering if I should upgrade to something better armor-wise like Fine Plate, or if banded is good enough until 20 or so.

bizzum
11-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Take tips from Porgat about telling everybody about your leveling. I would be much more entertained.

Juugox2
11-11-2011, 07:40 AM
isnt velious soon to? like what 4-5 months or less?

lol oops forgot to quote the guy again

Flash
11-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Take tips from Porgat about telling everybody about your leveling. I would be much more entertained.

http://crazyartideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/osama.jpg

Snaggles
11-11-2011, 01:23 PM
SotM at level 9? You sure did find some nice people! :eek: Makes me think my own smarmy strategy didn't work out so well, lol.

The step between Fine Steel and Banded is bronze. You can find some pieces that are as cheap as FS but have better stats/looks. One example is the Enameled Black Breastplate (25) ac or perhaps Silver Plated Leggings. The leggings only have 10ac but are dirt cheap at like 200pp.

Keep on keepin on bud.

Flash
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I turned my nose up at bronze because of how heavy it is. Fine plate is lighter, but with a trivial of 188, I'm not surprised at how expensive it is.

Then again, the AC boost isn't all that much higher than banded. Moreover, I'm a little concerned with how many people are telling me that AC is currently broken and completely ineffective at the moment.

pickled_heretic
11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
fine plate is a waste of money. save up to buy the paladin quest armor or start doing it yourself around your 30s.

you will wear bronze until the 40s. the AC is worth it.

Flash
11-11-2011, 01:39 PM
fine plate is a waste of money. save up to buy the paladin quest armor or start doing it yourself around your 30s.

you will wear bronze until the 40s. the AC is worth it.

Maybe when I get some STR items, but right now it's too damn heavy to be practical to me. I get almost the same AC from banded, and it only weighs half as much.

Can you link to the paladin quest armor?

Snaggles
11-11-2011, 01:52 PM
You can prob pick up a few Deepwater pieces for the price of Fine Steel. I mean, not sure exactly but a few hundred for the common pieces and it's a TON of ac.

Stats smats....your job is to get hit and like it.

Bazia
11-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Dude you're not going to have very much fun down the road if you keep getting hand-outs.

A lot of the fun of the game is earning gear and the feeling of accomplishment of earning your own stuff and seeing how far you have come.

You're going to hit a hump at some point, and the fact you don't have as much invested in your character because you didn't go through all the trouble of gearing him is going to make you more prone to throwing him away or rerolling when you get frustrated.

Just my 2 cents.

Flash
11-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Dude you're not going to have very much fun down the road if you keep getting hand-outs.

A lot of the fun of the game is earning gear and the feeling of accomplishment of earning your own stuff and seeing how far you have come.

You're going to hit a hump at some point, and the fact you don't have as much invested in your character because you didn't go through all the trouble of gearing him is going to make you more prone to throwing him away or rerolling when you get frustrated.

Just my 2 cents.

If people want to be nice and help me out, I'm not going to turn it down.

Bazia
11-11-2011, 02:11 PM
If people want to be nice and help me out, I'm not going to turn it down.

Nothing wrong with "help" but you're missing out on probably the most difficult/rewarding part of EQ imo.

Just saying when you hit those high 20s/low 30s and can't find groups, the lack of investment is going to make you more prone to rerolling.

Flash
11-11-2011, 02:16 PM
With how long it takes to level in P99, I don't see that really happening. At most, maybe rolling a second toon (likely another Monk).

This depends on whether or not people actually hunt/group/exp at Highpass Hold and Highpass Keep. And it's not like I'm just freeriding on the generosity of others. I'm working hard to get somewhere in this server. Leveling as a paladin is SLOW, and if lack of dedication and immersion was the case I'd have probably given up on him at Lv3 or 4.

Bazia
11-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Population here at mid levels is not very good, you will be tested 20-40.

So stay motivated.

Snaggles
11-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I don't think having good gear given to you makes the game less fun. You still have to grind though a ton of mobs to level up and you will die regardless of your fungi tunic/CoF or bronze armor.

If at level 40 you're complaining about dps or how hard it is to solo just know you have attained pretty damn nice gear. Nobody is going to feel bad for you since at one point pallies were using Mith 2handers and Ghoulbanes for the same content.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though. :)

Flash
11-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Wasn't there any significant twink gear before Kunark?

pickled_heretic
11-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't think having good gear given to you makes the game less fun. You still have to grind though a ton of mobs to level up and you will die regardless of your fungi tunic/CoF or bronze armor.

If at level 40 you're complaining about dps or how hard it is to solo just know you have attained pretty damn nice gear. Nobody is going to feel bad for you since at one point pallies were using Mith 2handers and Ghoulbanes for the same content.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though. :)

yeah... pre kunark pallies would have sucked !@#! for a SoTM, to have it before lvl 10 is pretty crazy

Daldaen
11-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Depends on the class. Rubicite BP most definitely. Manastone to a lesser extent. Nothing quite as significant as Fungi Tunic in Kunark or Vindi BP in Velious though.

Standard HP gear / good weapons always help though. But Regen BPs prolly help the most.

Nirgon
11-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I liked Porgat way more.

Flash
11-11-2011, 02:58 PM
I liked Porgat way more.

What are you talking about?

Snaggles
11-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Wasn't there any significant twink gear before Kunark?

Hell yea there was twinking pre-Kunark.

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Blackened_Iron_Bastard_Sword

Flash
11-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Hell yea there was twinking pre-Kunark.

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Blackened_Iron_Bastard_Sword

THAT'S a twink item? lol

Nirgon
11-11-2011, 03:31 PM
What are you talking about?

If you don't know, you better call somebody. He was the coolest "new kid" so far imos. I'd rip a page or two out of his book.

Flash
11-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm my own person Nirgon. I don't need to imitate someone else for internet brownies.

Kabilos
11-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I remember my first paladin on Classic had a BIBS given to him. It was most definitely a twink item back then :)

Bazia
11-11-2011, 03:51 PM
THAT'S a twink item? lol

That was back before there was such a surplus of plat on the server Sword of Mournings were being handed out.

Flash
11-11-2011, 03:54 PM
That was back before there was such a surplus of plat on the server Sword of Mournings were being handed out.

Where's the pre-kunark items with 50+ HP and +10 to stats.

Snaggles
11-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Where's the pre-kunark items with 50+ HP and +10 to stats.

Dude, you need to start thumbing through this:

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Category:Paladin_Equipment

Second, yea that was a "twink" weapon. Pre-Kunark I remember Ykesha's selling for about 14,000pp each and a mith 2hander was half that. So if you had all the money in the world maybe your level 20 warrior would have two of them and a FBSS but they were still considered high-range for non-raiders. Seeing a Warrior with a Sunderfury or raging a guard with a Bloodfire and Spined Dragon Claws was a geekgasm.

Back in 2000 I remember a paladin acquaintance from one of the top guilds. He was level 50 in full Valorium and had one of these:

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Darkmetal_Holy_Water_Sprinkler

So not exactly the "best" but about a stone-throw from total badass.

Muzyn
11-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I'll keep an eye out for it then. But I don't expect to be able to afford it until level 15 or so, so I'll just have to survive until then.

What is your paladin's name? I have a ghoulbane rotting away in the bank and i'd rather have the space.

Nirgon
11-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Correction,

Start thumbing through this (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48099&highlight=Porgat).

Flash
11-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I had no idea the Kunark items were such a huge jump in quality from the classic items. Wow.

And Muzyn, my characters name is Foxhound.

Flash
11-12-2011, 04:17 AM
Level 11. Been hunting at Dervish camp in WC all day, and I haven't seen a single Bronze weapon drop from these chumps. This was my best money spot on Live from 11-17. Where's the cheese at? I want my bronze weapons.

Eldaran
03-12-2012, 02:39 PM
You still playing your pally dude? What level did you get him to?

Nanolian
03-15-2012, 12:51 AM
A lot of thus info was very helpful, just started on the aerver yesterday, just hit level 6. Woo.

Ikonoclastia
03-15-2012, 01:35 AM
If you don't wanna rely on high levels for handouts at 11 go to Qeynos hills and kill wisps for GLS unless ur evil of course. I know wisps are in WC but theres no competition for them in QH, almost no aggroing mobs except green / lightblue skellies n its a short run to NK (or get a port) for lots of cash and pretty good exp from the quest.

Ull also be able to get groups at BB and get gnolls teeth for more exp in halas or Qeynos.

Oh yeah, if you do go there, kill the gnoll hunters, and do the staff quest too, get a staff which is pretty crap but the turn in gives up to 9pp and its a very easy quest. Gnoll spawns right outside SFG and turn in is just inside.

Grozmok
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm pretty sure he's not relying on hand-outs anymore:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68331
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68350
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68446
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68392

godbox
03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I already know about the 40% exp penalty for Hybrids. That I can live with.

maybe you know about it but Im not sure you KNOW about it

Messianic
03-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Surplus of plat = more money chasing fewer goods = inflation = higher prices

That's not the reason they're so cheap. No one wants them, so they're cheap.

SirAlvarex
03-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I wish I would have had the gall to make threads like this when I started. Then I would be $$rich$$ by now.

Within99
03-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Get sword of skyfire, very cheap 1h slasher and youll be hitting cap to near 20 anyway.
Its super OP for 20 and below.