PDA

View Full Version : Permafrost

Groo
11-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm just curious as to what people's opinions are of this dungeon? Obviously, it doesn't see much use. I remember venturing in there with my level 20ish Wood Elf ranger one night, after getting bored with soloing in Everfrost. I killed mostly green mobs for a short while, and then I was joined by a Barbarian shaman and a Wood Elf bard a little later. We played for a few hours and gained a level and filled up on loot, and didn't have any casualties. We had a good time, but never went back. This was at least 5 years ago on EQ Live.

What are the pros/cons of this dungeon?

oddibemcd
11-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Many druids love the perma pits. Big problem is without surefall glade port spell it is super far out of the way.

Ashimar
11-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Permafrost Keep is similar to other goblin dungeons in that there are always a large number of goblins either standing or wandering around anyplace that you are. This makes it a very challenging, some would say impossible, area to solo in, although there are certainly a couple of places where soloing is possible. Most adventuring within requires a group so that you can survive the constant onslaught of the goblins, many of whom are casters and can see through invisibility.

It should be noted that one of the two dragons on Antonica resides in the depths of Permafrost. Lady Vox herself holds court deep within this dungeon. She is guarded by Ice Giants who attend to her, and who are highly aggressive. Her lair is also protected by pit traps, which can drop you into a dangerous underground area filled with dire wolves, polar bears, and icy terrors. Do not attempt to take Lady Vox or the Ice Giant Castle by yourself or even in a small group, to kill Vox requires the coordinated efforts of several well-balanced groups.

Benefits

This zone, despite being far off in the north, actually does get some travellers from afar, seeking out the goods that lie within it. There are many rare items that are highly prized elsewhere in Norrath that can only be found here.

Lady Vox herself typically draws the most attention these days, as the players become more and more powerful. Although she herself is godlike in power, the items that she typically drops are equal to the risk, and many guilds and groups vie for the chance to fight her.

There are a couple of specific areas that are relatively safe to hunt in for large periods of time. One is the Flag Room, named such because of the flag hanging on an ancient pole in the middle of the room. A group of the appropriate level can stay up against the wall and pull from the flag room and the room beyond for quite some time. This requires a powerful and well-coordinated group, however, as you can accidentally pull as many as five spellcasting goblins at once.

It is also possible to solo relatively safely in two areas, one in the area of the Goblin Alchemist, and you can often find rangers from afar in this room waiting for him to appear. The other area is the King's Room, where a brave person can sit along the front wall and pull the spawns carefully.

Daldaen
11-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Permafrost has the highest ZEM in game I believe. Its con is the fact that its so far out of the way.

You will often see people powerleveling in there. And as mentioned above, high level druids in the bear pits.

Galanteer
11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
easier here than on live, the goblins don't have their ds.

Nirgon
11-14-2011, 12:53 PM
I've seen groups come through. For the level range and how far out of the way it is... you won't see too many people.

Vondra
11-14-2011, 01:20 PM
The con of its location basically outweighs any pros for level appropriate grouping there. (High levels killing in the pits not included)

If you can preform a group and head out there, that's one thing, but even then when it comes time to replace someone important you're probably done.

Other than the novelty of fighting there since it's not something done often, better off going elsewhere.