PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Weapon Question

Radiskull
11-19-2011, 06:43 PM
I have a level 56 barbarian shaman that I haven't played in months. Now that my cleric is about to reach level 60, I'm probably going to pick up the shaman again. I don't want to be a shaman that sits around and right clicks my JBB for dps and buff bots during down time. I'm curious as to which weapon is better for an active melee dps type play style, Granite Face Grinder (better damage ratio) or Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer (with the proc). Any input would be much appreciated!

Seaweedpimp
11-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I hear that Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer procs like mad.

baub
11-19-2011, 07:05 PM
It doesn't proc nearly as much as it did pre-kunark but BSH is still the way to go imo

Snaggles
11-20-2011, 12:16 AM
I'd trust procs over melee skills with a Shaman in the high levels. You're gonna get 2-4 procs per min which on a PWS or Barb Hammer *should* give more damage. Procs don't scale with spell/item haste or skill points either. Maybe a Sham with a cloak of flames would maul with a grinder.

Total speculation though. Never played a sham past 24 to be honest.

Motec
11-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Finding a rogue to duo with and going max ac imho.

Bazooka
11-20-2011, 06:36 AM
I have a level 56 barbarian shaman that I haven't played in months. Now that my cleric is about to reach level 60, I'm probably going to pick up the shaman again. I don't want to be a shaman that sits around and right clicks my JBB for dps and buff bots during down time. I'm curious as to which weapon is better for an active melee dps type play style, Granite Face Grinder (better damage ratio) or Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer (with the proc). Any input would be much appreciated!

Keep clicking JBB

bizzum
11-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Keep clicking JBB

Yea, even when I have 255 str and AQ with a GFG, I still do less damage than spamming JBB unless its a highly resistant mob

Slave
11-20-2011, 01:26 PM
You're going to be doing wayyy less damage in melee, as well as putting yourself and your group at greater risk, with a melee weapon instead of using the total no-brainer JBB.

bizzum
11-20-2011, 09:15 PM
You're going to be doing wayyy less damage in melee, as well as putting yourself and your group at greater risk, with a melee weapon instead of using the total no-brainer JBB.

I disagree with you when you say that you put yourself and your group at greater risk. While it all depends on level and camp, Shamans are built to be able to take a few hits, especially on a slowed mob. Whether I would like to admit it or not, I have been the tank for a few groups, and managed to do the job quite well.

I do agree, however, that JBB is higher DPS in 99% of cases, so if you can afford one, stick it with and find a main/offhand with a decent amount of either wis/hp/mp/sta on it so you can buff up your mana/hp pool for canni and spells.

Doing melee in a group, especially when you will never likely pull aggro, is not going to put your group in danger, but it is questionable as to how beneficial it will be to the group as your damage output will be poor.

Snaggles
11-20-2011, 09:42 PM
You may disagree that it puts a good team in "great risk" but it's definitely greater than sitting back clicking. Forget aggro as much as having a clear view of adds and what-not.

If a jbb is more damage the only reason not to use it is if you can't afford one. Boring or not sometimes numbers just work that way. I certainly would rather have a shield in the offhand and give up my melee dream in that case.

Extunarian
11-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I tried both. The GFG is fun but even with haste and STR we just miss too much and don't hit for max enough for it to realize its DPS potential.

The best mana-free DPS I can toss out is:
Dex buff/potion + right click JBB + swing BSH between clicks. It's about 31-41 DPS on most dark blue mobs depending on procs at level 57.

mwatt
11-22-2011, 07:19 PM
When soloing, you may find yourself low on mana while fighting - possibly oom. This actually happens with more regularly than one might expect due to the high cost of our spells, the need to max HP instead of mana pool, and the possibility of adds. In such a scenario you will not be able to keep the mob off of you by rooting - at least not for long - and the bracer can break root. At these times, you may find yourself in melee mode.

The other driving reason to enter melee mode is when you need to distract the mob from killing your pet but you don't want to loose DPS. In this case, you may find yourself in melee mode.

Since melee mode is to some degree unavoidable when soloing, it makes sense to have the best weapon you can get for such situations. I personally have a GFG, but admit I am thinking of getting a BSH. The GFG is nice though.