PDA

View Full Version : Are we supposed to get weapons/spells upon creation?

noffo
11-29-2011, 10:25 AM
I noticed that after creating a character, we are given a newbie weapon (in the inventory, rather than equipped) and perhaps a beginning spell or two if we are a caster.

Was it like this during the classic years? I admit that my memory is fading, but I honestly don't remember getting a newbie weapon or beginning spells. I remembered fighting with bare hands until a weapon was dropped and having to save up until I could buy my first spell.

Also, are all new characters supposed to spawn in front of the Priest of Discord? If so, you might want to double check Rivervale. I just created a druid, and I was dropped in front of my guildmaster instead.

pickled_heretic
11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
the dagger* shortsword* and club* were all classic, what you probably remember is dying and losing your corpse.

noffo
11-29-2011, 10:49 AM
the dagger* shortsword* and club* were all classic, what you probably remember is dying and losing your corpse.

What about beginning spells? Why would a merchant sell the same beginning spells that you are given during creation?

pickled_heretic
11-29-2011, 10:53 AM
for the sake of completeness? maybe someone dies and loses the spell because they are too noob to know that they should scribe it? what a colossal waste of time to have to petition something like that to get an unobtainable spell when you can just give the spell vendor a complete inventory.

also do clerics start out with minor healing? because like 4 classes can use that spell, it would be pretty dumb to not have it available on any vendors.

dcapotos
11-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm pretty sure you started out with at least a weapon, some food and water, and spells if a caster. I'm not sure about the spawn points though. I distinctly remember having to spend an hour just trying to find my guildmaster back when I played a DE Nec in classic. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you would spawn at the default bind point you start with.

pickled_heretic
11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
speaking of which, there's probably a special item version of the scroll that you start out with that cannot be sold or traded (just like the newbie weapons, the guild note, and the tunic). using your logic, why would the no drop version of lvl 1 spells have existed?

dcapotos
11-29-2011, 10:56 AM
also do clerics start out with minor healing? because like 4 classes can use that spell, it would be pretty dumb to not have it available on any vendors.

All of the starter spells can be purchased from vendors and possibly quested as well.

usedtobejubaloftorv
You start with:

1x noob weapon appropriate to your class
5x noob food
5x noob drink
2x Level 1 spells (for casters) - in case of cleric it is Courage and Minor Healing IIRC
1x Note from your Guildmaster
2x Hairy Feet (halfling only)

pickled_heretic
All of the starter spells can be purchased from vendors and possibly quested as well.

I know, thanks.

noffo
11-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I know we aren't supposed to get a free backpack, so it's nice to see those are gone. I couldn't remember about bandages, though.

Vondra
11-29-2011, 01:22 PM
To my memory, what we start with in our inventory seems to be classic.

A weak newbie weapon, food and water, a note to give to a guildmaster, book of discord, and if you're a caster a couple lev 1 spells.

Kika Maslyaka
11-30-2011, 01:57 AM
What about beginning spells? Why would a merchant sell the same beginning spells that you are given during creation?

because those spells are also used by OTHER classes who do not get them at level 1.

Druids start with Skin like Wood. Which can also be used by Rangers at lev 9.
If spell would not be on vendor, how would Rangers get it?

This is true for Druids, Clerics and Necros, and partialy for Shaman lev 1 spells who are shared with other classes.