PDA

View Full Version : Notable Changes in Kunark ?

CronosZ
04-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Im leapfroging this thread from the cleric thread asking what changes in kunark? I think its a really good question for all the classes. what are some of the more notable role changes for diffrent classes, and which classes become more valuable, and wich classes effectivly loss some of their demand in both groups and raids ?

I play a Wizard, Necro, Shadow Knight

Neo
04-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Im leapfroging this thread from the cleric thread asking what changes in kunark? I think its a really good question for all the classes. what are some of the more notable role changes for diffrent classes, and which classes become more valuable, and wich classes effectivly loss some of their demand in both groups and raids ?

I play a Wizard, Necro, Shadow Knight

doesnt matter unless i get what i want nothing is changing unless i say so

Gorgetrapper
04-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Bards will still be the best!

(took out my responses to Neo)

isitatomic
04-10-2010, 11:18 AM
My main on live was a wizard and I think I *may* have had a Book of Obulus and a Bonecaster's Robe at some point, but I really don't remember any essential upgrades for us to be had that couldn't be outdone by planes/dragons. Tolapumj's Robe is fun though. The thing I'm most looking forward to is taking down Venril for regaining epix.

SejalTraurig
04-10-2010, 11:41 AM
The thing I am looking forward to the most is Chardok.. Some of the best times I had in EQ were there.. Those who went there with me learned that no class pulled Chardok nearly as well as a chanter.. It was the ONLY place I could pull that well.. But it was an absolute blast :)

Loke
04-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I am not putting a considerable amount of thought into it, just kind of shooting from the hip, but I guess the first few changes that come to mind are:

-Rogues getting epic increases their damage immensely.
-Wizards get awesomer
-Shaman. Torpor. Nuff said.
-Monks get another race AND 2HB becomes a viable option due to introduction of decent 2HB Weapons.

Also the clicky effects on a few of the class armor pieces are really helpful. Discs definitely help certain classes out, although I remember especially in velious defensive disc playing a major role on raids. I think whoever said dragon/plane loot out-does kunark group based loot is mistaken. Also, melees get a lot of help with an increased availability of non-raid haste items (FBSS / Mith2hander are really the only viable items for non-raiders prior to that).

I'm sure there are a number of things I missed, but those are the first to come to mind.

Aeolwind
04-10-2010, 12:03 PM
We have the spawn log for Kunark, so that part should be fine within reason. Honestly, the only thing you should see as far as content wise, is not being able to chain the keys & do any serious faction work towards being non-kos in Chardok.

Aarone
04-10-2010, 12:05 PM
The thing I am looking forward to the most is Chardok.. Some of the best times I had in EQ were there.. Those who went there with me learned that no class pulled Chardok nearly as well as a chanter.. It was the ONLY place I could pull that well.. But it was an absolute blast :)

Amen! Chardok was outstanding - and Howling Stones was right up there, too.

Tudana
04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
do the newb areas get a mob population increase?

I have noticed the lack of mobs in newb areas and low level dungeons, but I am understanding that is how it was at classic launch for a few months.

Malrubius
04-10-2010, 12:11 PM
We have the spawn log for Kunark, so that part should be fine within reason. Honestly, the only thing you should see as far as content wise, is not being able to chain the keys & do any serious faction work towards being non-kos in Chardok.

The keychain thing I understand, since that was a later convenience. But why wouldn't killing the goblins in Droga increase faction with Brood of Di`Zok, like it used to?

Just curious - thanks!

Loke
04-10-2010, 12:17 PM
The keychain thing I understand, since that was a later convenience. But why wouldn't killing the goblins in Droga increase faction with Brood of Di`Zok, like it used to?

Just curious - thanks!

I think Brood of Dizok faction was added as part of the Chardok revamp. Don't quote me on that, since I don't really remember, but seems to me that was the case. Honestly, if the Chardok we're going to see in game is the itemized one, I really don't see a reason why killing gobs and skins/salts wouldn't be in the game also.

isitatomic
04-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I think whoever said dragon/plane loot out-does kunark group based loot is mistaken.

Please note I was only speaking from a wizard's perspective. I remember being exponentially more excited about upgrades from Kunark to Velious than classic to Kunark. In fact, I kind of wish you would prove me wrong.

Zanti
04-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Honestly, the only thing you should see as far as content wise, is not being able to chain the keys & do any serious faction work towards being non-kos in Chardok.

Please elaborate on Chardok faction when you get a chance!

Loke
04-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Please note I was only speaking from a wizard's perspective. I remember being exponentially more excited about upgrades from Kunark to Velious than classic to Kunark. In fact, I kind of wish you would prove me wrong.

Ah didn't get that. I would still say there are a number of good upgrades that are one groupable for wizards come kunark. Hiero Cloak, that shield from CoM, Frog robe, umm.. I didn't play a wizard so not 100% and too lazy to scour the internet.. but I guess maybe they don't get hooked up as much as other classes.. I really don't know wizard loot in kunark all that well.

Swindle
04-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Mages get CoTH, which will get nerfed eventually. Then they beign their long decline into Velious where they end up as Mod Rod PEZ dispensers on raids.

Swindle Blacktongue Enchanter EMARR
Maginot Lime Mage EMARR

Goatfist 11 Shaman P99

Swindle
04-10-2010, 01:52 PM
do the newb areas get a mob population increase?

I have noticed the lack of mobs in newb areas and low level dungeons, but I am understanding that is how it was at classic launch for a few months.

They'll surely need to do that when Kunark goes on-line. The Field of Bone is going to be one crowded place with probably a 100 Iksar monks and necros running about. Bone Chip Fever - Catch it!

Audacious93c
04-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I keep trying to think back to the raid targets of Kunark, but all that comes to mind is Gorenaire, Trakanon, Venril and VP (though Im not sure on VP, it seems like that came later for some reason according to my memory).

Also, group content actually gives substantial upgrades. I know for a fact that some of those upgrades are your T2(?) gear. Cobalt arms drop off some frog that I spent what seemed like years killing to get in OS. Disciplines make a world of difference for a warrior. If Im not mistaken, Kunark is the time when Taunt gets a revamp from being +1 to the highest person on this list to being a hate builder (but Im not positive on this either, this could have been Velious.)

I liked Kunark, but my most fond memories were definitely Velious ;p

Omnimorph
04-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I keep trying to think back to the raid targets of Kunark, but all that comes to mind is Gorenaire, Trakanon, Venril and VP (though Im not sure on VP, it seems like that came later for some reason according to my memory).

VP could have something to do with the pain in the ass key.

I just hope they don't allow charming in VP :p that sort of ruins it.

Audacious93c
04-10-2010, 08:30 PM
O god, dont say that man... If I knew it was like this back in classic, I would have never played a warrior and went straight enchanter. Course that means.. if it was really like this :rolleyes:

Bayleo
04-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Being a warrior in classic EQ was like having the tip of your penis stepped on by Mo'Nique in golf cleats.

Audacious93c
04-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Yea, it was much easier when I was oblivious to the fact in the first place. This time around, aggro made me want to take the SBD's from rogues and stab them in the eye till THEY proc.

Gorroth
04-11-2010, 05:55 AM

Just curious - thanks!

I'm interested in knowing that as well. Chardok factions and quests added more content without giving access to overpowered items, especially once you consider the amount of effort to complete the quests.

xnolanx
04-11-2010, 06:51 AM
shit fuckkunark the server isn't up yet why ya'll stressin that?

EDIT: on a side note.. im sorry im drunk.. i check the page everyday in HOPES the server is up... i just want to play man i love you guys

Tudana
04-11-2010, 08:06 AM
no, you cant have our Bud Llites

Hasbinbad
04-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Edge of the Nightwalker (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=342) >

Bayleo
04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Not to be the guy who dipped his balls in the mashed potatoes, but I'm pretty sure epic quests don't come out until like a month before Velious.

Loke
04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Not to be the guy who dipped his balls in the mashed potatoes, but I'm pretty sure epic quests don't come out until like a month before Velious.

It was definitely earlier than a month prior to Velious. I don't know the exact timing, but I started playing about a month or two before Velious and I knew people that already had theirs.

Audacious93c
04-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Kunark was only out for 8 or 9 months right? I know I finished my blades of war during Kunark, however I know epics werent in at release. It took me about a month and a half to kill sev (faggot dragon). From there, I cant remember if I had them in VP or not. But they were in for more than 2 months. But I wouldnt attest to much more than that.

girth
04-11-2010, 05:19 PM
No Chardok quests whaaaaat? I loved that ring and the cord that went in like 2 or 3 slots.

Loke
04-11-2010, 05:28 PM
No Chardok quests whaaaaat? I loved that ring and the cord that went in like 2 or 3 slots.

I was under the impression that the ring quests were kunark era and that the cord was added in velious. I don't really know since I did them all post velious release.. but that was what I always thought.

PearlJammzz
04-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I was under the impression that the ring quests were kunark era and that the cord was added in velious. I don't really know since I did them all post velious release.. but that was what I always thought.

Kunark has some super-long ring quest thing in it I believe. Velious has much better ones though. It has a big ring quest, and a shawl quest.

Bayleo
04-11-2010, 06:04 PM
http://www.castle-grounds.co.uk/eq/coldain.htm

Dain ring #10 = Nerdgasm

Loke
04-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Kunark has some super-long ring quest thing in it I believe. Velious has much better ones though. It has a big ring quest, and a shawl quest.

I was talking specifically about the chardok rings and whether or not they were in kunark or added later during velious... my bad for the confusion.

Bayleo
04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Chardok was revamped in Oct of '01. There were changes to faction building, loot tables, and the monk epic piece was moved to the bridge. I think the ring might be bundled in there also.

Sparkin
04-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Kunark was released in May, Velious came out at the end of December that same year. Epics went in sometime midsummer, probably more towards late summer.

Sersly
04-20-2010, 12:03 PM
I thought this timeline was pretty interesting.

It shows epics being introduced after Velious came out, but right before 2001 (ie, within the 25 day period between velious and 2001).

http://eqdev.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/nine_year_timeline1.jpg

It's pretty cool actually.

Audacious93c
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM
If you took out the new travel methods in Shadows of Luclin, would that make it any better? I didnt play into this time period, so Im not sure why everyone hates it. I joined the Army when the guild I was in just killed sleeper (in terms of time relevance).

bionicbadger
04-20-2010, 12:41 PM
no luclin sucked donkey balls and I quit EQ shortly after it came out

yaaaflow
04-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Your guild killed the sleeper pre-luclin eh? thats pretty uber imo.

Xumosa
04-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Your guild killed the sleeper pre-luclin eh? thats pretty uber imo.

amazing :eek:

Xumosa
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
http://www.castle-grounds.co.uk/eq/coldain.htm

Dain ring #10 = Nerdgasm

this quest was seriously most fun quest ive ever done in my intire life of gaming :x

guineapig
04-20-2010, 12:52 PM
http://eqdev.files.wordpress.com/200..._timeline1.jpg

So is this accurate? Epics went live after Velious was released?
That doesn't seem right.

guineapig
04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
EDIT: according to the patch notes, the time line in that jpeg is incorrect.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2000-2.html

------------------------------
September 19, 2000 7:00 am
------------------------------

*Level 1 Character Purge*

The Level 1 character purge announced several weeks ago will take place
on Wednesday, September 27, 2000, at 7:00am PST (GMT-7). Any level 1
characters that haven't been played within the previous 30 days will be
deleted. If you wish to keep any level 1 characters that you may have,
please log in and play them between now and 9/27.

***Patch Day***

As a testament to our on-going goal to constantly provide more content
for EverQuest players, today's patch primarily consists of *many*
content-additions to the game.

*New Epic Quests*

We are pleased to announce that we have implemented new "Fiery Avenger"
style quests for every class in the game (including paladins). The
ultimate reward for each quest boasts a custom model with unique
particle effects. We think that you will be pleased.

Good luck to everyone on your quest.

Audacious93c
04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Broken link Guineapig :(

Edit: I guess Guineapig just wrapped up that whole argument with a solid date.

guineapig
04-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I thought this timeline was pretty interesting.

It shows epics being introduced after Velious came out, but right before 2001 (ie, within the 25 day period between velious and 2001).

http://eqdev.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/nine_year_timeline1.jpg

It's pretty cool actually.

sorry, my bad. I think it's sad that they couldn't get their own timeline right. It clearly shows epics being released after Velious in that timeline image (link above), yet patch notes prove that Epics were released on September 19th and Velious was released on December 6th.

Excision Rottun
04-20-2010, 01:12 PM
If you took out the new travel methods in Shadows of Luclin, would that make it any better? I didnt play into this time period, so Im not sure why everyone hates it. I joined the Army when the guild I was in just killed sleeper (in terms of time relevance).

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Jeebus
04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I was really looking forward to doing those chardok quests. I honestly couldn't remember if the quests were possible right when kunark comes out, but it sounds like they are not from what aeolwind said.

Humerox
04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
I'll take a stab at it.

Luclin was released December 4th, 2001.

Then this:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r254/Humerox/gms_sleeper.jpg

Then This: (Rallos Zek was the first server to kill Kerafym)

On November 17, 2003, after a nearly 3-hour battle, Kerafyrm was defeated. He had between 100 million and 400 million hit points, likely around 250 million (most EverQuest bosses have 2 million at most), was immune to all spells except wizard's manaburn spell and Shadow Knight's Harm Touch, possessed two death touch abilities (abilities that automatically killed players), and attacked players for 6999 damage per swing. By using the cleric's epic weapon and other resurrection spells, the players were able to bring their dead characters back into the battle faster than Kerafyrm could kill them all.

On November 15, 2003, on the Rallos Zek PvP server, the three top guilds (Ascending Dawn, Wudan, and Magus Imperialis Magicus) assembled over 180 players, along with an assortment of other non-PK players with Sleeper's keys, with the intent to kill The Sleeper. This was in response to an attempt to wake The Sleeper by an Iksar monk named Stynkfyst, who partnered with the largest random-pk guild of the time. Having been a former member of uber-guild Ascending Dawn, he had the knowledge the random pk guild needed to wake The Sleeper. The top guilds did not assemble their forces until word of Stynkfyst's intentions had spread, and it became clear that he intended to wake The Sleeper, forever preventing future guilds from farming the old loot table. Until this point, waking The Sleeper had not been seriously considered by any guilds, as it was believed that waking The Sleeper would make the offending guild's players kill-on-sight to the other guilds of the server. After 3 hours and 15 minutes, at 26% health, Kerafyrm disappeared (despawned). The players talked with the EverQuest Game Masters, and there was a general consensus that a bug had caused the problem, although some suggested (backed by statements from one GM) that higher-ups at SOE had purposely despawned Kerafyrm, because it was not intended to be part of the story.

guineapig
04-20-2010, 02:15 PM
I remember when this happened, it's all anyone would talk about. I was scouring the web for images of it for days.

Xumosa
04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
yep i remember people on my server talking about it when they are fighting him too everyone on my server thought that if he died our when he enraged it would result in a world wide deathtouch lol

Mordachai
04-20-2010, 02:33 PM
sorry, my bad. I think it's sad that they couldn't get their own timeline right. It clearly shows epics being released after Velious in that timeline image (link above), yet patch notes prove that Epics were released on September 19th and Velious was released on December 6th.

Thank you for finding the patch notes!! It came up in IRC or something during server down that epics were post-velious and I saw this timeline and almost bought into it but I just knew epics were out before that.

guineapig
04-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you for finding the patch notes!! It came up in IRC or something during server down that epics were post-velious and I saw this timeline and almost bought into it but I just knew epics were out before that.

No problem. I've seen people spout all sorts of nonsense about the timeline on the forums. A few months back people were claiming that The Hole is supposed to be released before Kunark (actual release date June 22, 2000) so, um.. yeah. It's always better to look it up for one's self.