PDA

View Full Version : Monk Best in Slot

Bayleo
04-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Two alternatives for monk best-in-slot weapons, I.E. the best possible for a P99 monk. Which is/are superior in which situations?

Abashi's Rod of Disempowerment
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=7008

or

Gharn's Rock of Smashing
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=6487
Primal Velium Fist Wraps
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=6827

dannym3141
04-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Generally on live it was the 2h for dragons (for aggro and because of damage shields).. that damage shield rule can apply to other mobs with damage shields, and with the chance of a dispell with that weap..

The 1h stuff was better for dps unless the ratio was severely unbalanced on the 2h (which it isn't here), it just got your ass some aggro.

Bayleo
04-10-2010, 05:36 PM
One of the funner things about the Abashi is the 250 range clicky dispel magic. Awesome pulling tool considering throwing stars are like...45 range. No Avatar is sad faced clown though.

Hasbinbad
04-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Situationally, t-staff.

Omnimorph
04-10-2010, 06:01 PM
abashi's is nice, but hella rare :p

Audacious93c
04-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Sleepers tomb stuff is the way to go imo, but you are almost a year... if not more! Ahead of where we are in terms of gear choices right now...

Bayleo
04-10-2010, 06:17 PM
How do you mean Sleeper's Tomb stuff? Double fist wraps? Elaborate.

Loke
04-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I rocked Abashi on live practically all the time (as opposed to Wurmscale / Primal), and just switch in primal for proc. In Luclin I snagged a pair of fangs and would use that with primal but had all but quit playing my monk by then so never really parsed it. I really don't think anything in Velious can top Abashi assuming you aren't too lazy to switch in primal.

On a side note, anyone else remember when Gharn's got changed? How pissed were you at the monks who got that shit as rot loot only to log on one day and have the best 1hander in the game lulz.

Side note #2, you talking about it's pull utility reminds me of people who used bio-orb in the same manner lol... man I need some sleep.

Oh also, while I'm tiredly ranting and talking about pull utility.. are there any plans to make Eye of Zomm classic (i.e. eye's pulling aggro) so that us monks can be lazy and remote pull the shit out of Velious with elder beads?

NotInventedHere
04-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Hand to hand skill weapons are luclin era.

Bayleo
04-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Hand to hand skill weapons are luclin era.

Question mark

NotInventedHere
04-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Question mark
Weapons were not able to access the hand to hand skill until the release of the luclin client. Minor nitpick, but gharn's and wraps were 1hb till a month or so after luclin came out.

Also add me to wanting to make eye of zomm aggro again, at least before elder beads get put in. Eye pulling save so many corpse drags and resses for the pullers.

Tudana
04-10-2010, 07:15 PM
heh, I would be happy with 2 screaming maces at the moment :)

Omnimorph
04-10-2010, 07:19 PM
On a side note, anyone else remember when Gharn's got changed? How pissed were you at the monks who got that shit as rot loot only to log on one day and have the best 1hander in the game lulz.

it was interesting the amount of monks who looted this and kept it in their banks... if i were a monk i'd have been "nah, don't even wanna loot that shit"

Bayleo
04-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification NIH.

Audacious93c
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Yea sorry, didnt get back to this thread till just now :P

girth
04-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I'd use Abashi's and if you need, swap in a primal when buff wears off. That cast on it is AMAZING for pulling too.

Loke
04-11-2010, 03:59 PM
I agree that the cast is very useful for pulling, but assuming you're not lazy, there are plenty of good craftable (and even a few purchasable if I remember right) throwing weapons that work as well. In fact, once abashi is nerfed to 4 sec from instant, it really losses a lot of it's utility in certain situations.

Bayleo
04-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Are you sure it was nerfed during Velious era? (psst, say no) :D

girth
04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Ok third edit of this post:

When it first dropped it was a melee-triggered proc instant cast, then it got nerfed to a 3s clicky with unlimited charges very soon afterwards.

Which is more like a buff IMO for monk pullers. And 3s is perfectly fine for pulling, it has 250 range... ever use the bio orb? That had a cast time too, you still used it though..

Loke
04-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Ok third edit of this post:

When it first dropped it was a melee-triggered proc instant cast, then it got nerfed to a 3s clicky with unlimited charges very soon afterwards.

Which is more like a buff IMO for monk pullers. And 3s is perfectly fine for pulling, it has 250 range... ever use the bio orb? That had a cast time too, you still used it though..

You sure? I'm almost positive it's 4 second cast as of like a year ago when I last logged on my live monk. I'm not denying it's usefulness, just saying that I think throwing weapons are more useful in a number of situations (i.e. reaggroing mobs that don't split how you want them or what not). Fish darts have a 225 range if I remember right, and there are a number of javalin's that are either 210 or 250 (can't remember). Given that information, I think the bio orb is pretty useless and semi-dangerous given it's a 5 second cast time, only 200 range and has a very slight chance of sending the mob running.

Regardless, not trying to say that abashi's is anything less than amazing.. just playing devil's advocate :P

Edit: I guess I could be wrong. Everything I'm reading says 3.0 seconds... don't know why I thought 4. w/e

Edit 2: Oh and before you bring up the no-damage aspect of both the bio orb and abashi's in relation to summoning.. I agree that it is a nice aspect, but if I remember right, most throwing weapons don't break the threshold for summoning anyway, which makes that kind of a moot point.. which is why I didn't bring it up.

Bayleo
04-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I've read that when fighting raid targets, 2 weapons beats 2hb because for damage because of the high AC levels, and higher chance to miss. That didn't turn out to be true in practice?

Loke
04-11-2010, 06:09 PM
By the way, if anyone does any research on this and finds pages that discuss calculations of anything monk related (from dps, to haste, to avoidance, 1hb v 2hb, etc...) please either post a link or shoot it to me in a PM. Always liked playing around with that stuff, but forgot a lot of it and am often to lazy to scour the web for it.

side note, monkly-business' search function is annoying as shit.. I have to refresh their verification image like 20 times before I get one I can read, and I have 20/10 vision and no color-blindness that I'm aware of!

Edit: In response to Bayleo.. I have no equations or logic to back this up; but I seem to remember the general consensus in VT (really high AC mobs) being that 2hb was king. I didn't read much into it as while I was doing VT I was mostly playing a rogue so the whole 2hb v. 1hb/h2h didn't really apply. Just kind of what I remember hearing.

girth
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I just remember 2h being ridiculous with disciplines.

NotInventedHere
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, with a 2h and /disc innerflame you could do a crazy amount of damage.

Gorgetrapper
04-12-2010, 08:10 PM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=6700