PDA

View Full Version : classes in demand?

Grim
12-08-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm thinking about joining Project 1999 and was wondering what classes were most in demand on the server, in particular for the end-game (both grouping and raiding).

I played a druid on live from Velious to DoN. Outside of raiding I mostly soloed as druids weren't the most desirable class to group with. (Although a raid was once cancelled because I wasn't there -- we were going after THO and I was the only one in the guild with RGC :p). This time around I'd prefer to pick a class that has an easier time grouping.

On my solo server I've had a huge amount of fun with necros and wizards. Necros are a blast but wizards would probably be more useful.

Suggestions are welcome!

Muchew
12-08-2011, 09:41 PM
before everyone tells you just to play what you'll enjoy...

Cleric / Enchanter / Tank

Flunklesnarkin
12-08-2011, 09:46 PM
In order of rarity from what i've seen

chanter >> tank >> cleric

cleric being the most common

but yah play what you like

loopholbrook
12-08-2011, 09:59 PM
There aren't any necros, shaman, or druids on the server so go with one of those three, I'd say.

sellingrandomcrap
12-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Chanter Cleric Warrior as said before are always in demand.

Chanter is probably the most well rounded.

Rogues / Wizards also seem fairly rare not sure why :/

Pringles
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Unfortunately, chanters wont get many groups in their low levels.

A cleric will be your most desired starting out - through the mid levels. Once max level, as already said cleric / ench / tank.

Splorf22
12-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Enchanters are pretty common at the high end. I seem to remember Uthgaard posting something that said 1/6 L55+ characters was an enchanter :)

Personally if I was joining a new server I'd go Monk. Solid class from 1-60 with fun abilities and you can never have too many monks for your raid. I think my iksar warrior will be straight up worse than a monk - the only reason I'm playing him is I just want to try something different.

Diggles
12-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Wizards are the highest demand DPS, Bards and Enchanters are about even, and everyone loves a rez-slut

Diggles
12-09-2011, 01:29 AM
There's a huge amount of bards on this server but very few that play at endgame for raiding

Softcore PK
12-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Hm well bard, cleric, enchanter, tank are all classes that groups need/love. I made a cleric and I've had no trouble finding groups, though I do exp with guildies 95% of the time. There really do seem to be a LOT of clerics though. In most of my groups, I'm one of 2 or 3 clerics lol. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it could make the class a bit less desirable on this server. I've also seen a LOT of tanks. It's a bit easier to find a tank, because 3 classes perform the role well and others can too (we've had a ranger MT for groups most of the time :P). In contrast, I've not seen many enchanters or bards. Lots of solo bards, very few group bards.

so yeah!

EDIT: Wait, sorry! I thought I was in the pvp server chat. I don't play on blue anymore so disregard this post! :o

Xanthias
12-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Sadly anything but a ranger :(

Vondra
12-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Enchanters are pretty common at the high end. I seem to remember Uthgaard posting something that said 1/6 L55+ characters was an enchanter :)

Personally if I was joining a new server I'd go Monk. Solid class from 1-60 with fun abilities and you can never have too many monks for your raid. I think my iksar warrior will be straight up worse than a monk - the only reason I'm playing him is I just want to try something different.

While there may be alot of enchanters on people's character select screen, apparently they aren't being played much/people are on alts/got sick of it or take your pick...because I was FLOODED with requests to join groups throughout the majority of my leveling.

Fortunately for enchanters, 1 in 6 people in a group should be an enchanter...and some are out soloing, so the game can support quite a few of them. Beyond that, it's pretty easy to notice the difference between a crappy enchanter and a good one, so if you perform well you'll get plenty of tells even when /role or /anon.

Vondra
12-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Sadly anything but a ranger :(

That's why the game needs more death touching mobs.

DorcasSilverthreads
12-09-2011, 05:40 AM
I'm an enchanter and at low levels where I am there seem to be plenty of tanks (mainly war and sk), healers (mainly sha and dru), and other enchanters. And monks. It's always DPS thats in short supply.

Whilst a server can never have to many clerics, warriors or enchanters, they do have very specific roles which people either enjoy or they don't. Think about this carefully. Personally I hate being on main heals, so would never play a cleric. If you want to play one of the three core classes, enchanter has the most versatility.

But if you're considering wizard, I'd go for it - people will love you for ports as well as for good DPS, and AFAIK they are not that common in the end game.

Messianic
12-09-2011, 09:15 AM
The class that is in demand is any class with a player who enjoys their class, plays it competitively and thoroughly, and understands how it works with the other classes in a group or raid setting.

Lucidus
12-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Would be nice to have a newer version of the class breakdown:
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Project1999:About

Grim
12-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the helpful comments!

I'll probably pass on playing an enchanter. The only things I know about enchanters are that they got obscene AA charming mobs in HoH and they got pretty sick of being asked for C3 every 10 seconds.

I'll give the wizard a try. As people mentioned, pure dps classes are hopefully always in demand.

The class that is in demand is any class with a player who enjoys their class, plays it competitively and thoroughly, and understands how it works with the other classes in a group or raid setting.

Agreed 100%. I'm not worried about the competitive part, or the raiding for that matter. I have many years of experience raiding. I came in at Velious so I didn't end up with all that many VP raids under my belt, but I did Trak til my eyes bled :)

Messianic
12-09-2011, 10:02 AM

I'll probably pass on playing an enchanter. The only things I know about enchanters are that they got obscene AA charming mobs in HoH and they got pretty sick of being asked for C3 every 10 seconds.

I'll give the wizard a try. As people mentioned, pure dps classes are hopefully always in demand.

Agreed 100%. I'm not worried about the competitive part, or the raiding for that matter. I have many years of experience raiding. I came in at Velious so I didn't end up with all that many VP raids under my belt, but I did Trak til my eyes bled :)

Cool! Yeah, as long as you enjoy what you do - you'll find a home in a decent guild.

But as one wizard to another, don't expect to be all that wanted for groups. Most people realize that wizards are very low sustained dps in groups - well below any melee class, mages, or necros. In my opinion - as a wizard - you're overall the least effective class in a 6-man group setting.

Even their "omg that healer/casting mob needs to die NOW" benefit isn't all that valuable. You're better off quadding or finding skyfire AoE groups once you hit 53 (first jyll's PBAoE). That's the best exp/money you'll get as a wizard.

On raids, however - wizards are incredibly valuable, particularly in Velious.

eqravenprince
12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Most in demand, Rogue.

Lindalind
12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Clerics are maybe the most group friendly and can solo a little to kill time albeit slowly.
If you aren't someone who enjoys a very specialized role where you role is clearly defined it can be the most boring of the bunch

Another thing you have to watch with enchanter if you aren't a twink is that you will have 100 cha not 200+ and 130 int and 200ac not 500 ac.
So you are the old school enchanter playing with people who are used to enchanters who can tank a bit and rarely get resisted.
You get a lot of resists and go poof when you get hit, with clerics and melee that are used too being in no big hurry to get the mobs off you.
This can make twinks think you don't know what you are doing.
So don't be shy about letting the group know you really are starting fresh if you pick enchanter.
Some groups will empty out at that point and others will enjoy the old style challenge.
Enchanters are the one class which is super group friendly and can solo very well too,a good choice in the end
Velious makes things a bit harder with the super high resists ,but the soloing seemed better if anything.
And of course everyone is addicted to breeze on up.
They have more facets so there is more to say about them.

Warriors will get groups,but if there aren't many groups around you are completely stuck if you can't get one.

I think monks are good ,they can dish it out and can take it.
Tons of monks are being made right now, that may be a factor.

Rogues,if there is a spot for dps they are welcome,groups like making mobs go poof one after the other.

Wizards are plenty group friendly,but don't seem to be the first class that groups look for even when looking for more dps.

All in all I would say,the best ride would be an enchanter because they often have the best of both worlds.

Druids actually seem to get a lot of group invites, don't forget they can be there healing right away, a cleric might take a long time and groups want to get on with it.

Warriors are group friendly, but fighting with patchwork and a cracked staff these days might not cut it with a lot of groups.
That being said if people realize you really are new and not a beggar you may end up with some decent equipment,plenty of generous players here.

Shaman, well a shaman is a shaman usually welcome in a group.

Rangers:well damn i just wore out my keyboard a little more typing this.

All in all I would say,the best ride would be an enchanter because they often have the best of both worlds.
The most frustrating class and the most rewarding class
Not to mention ,clarity gives them more leeway. The healers want them badly at all times,and melee that doesn't already have maxed out haste wants them just as much.

Groups are getting a bit scarcer I think, but on the other hand that makes it harder to fill them out and balances it pretty good.

pickled_heretic
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM

it has been said half a dozen times here that the most desired group classes are the holy trinity e.g. cleric/enchanter/warrior. as a wizard, you will only ever get group invites when all of those slots have been filled, and when there are no more available mdps online.

if you want to be a contributing member to a group before 60 you will pick another class. the ONLY thing that wizards are good for is raid target dps, which they excel at. if you are not interested in raiding, you should seriously reconsider your class choice.

On my solo server I've had a huge amount of fun with necros and wizards. Necros are a blast but wizards would probably be more useful.

It sounds like you were set on either a necro or a wizard when you made this thread. in terms of group usefulness, the necro stands head and shoulders above a wizard. their pet alone will outdps a wizard over time, and they also have limited CC. the 40 mana necro heals are also amazingly efficient, and with constant healing of a good tank you might even cause some clerics to get bored and start nuking. you can also help balance out the group's mana pool with twitches.

on the inverse, the necro will be a twitch bot on raids, while the wizard will be prized for his ability to quickly down raid targets. honestly the necro sounds like a far better fit for you.

Fortunately for enchanters, 1 in 6 people in a group should be an enchanter

I want to add this: that while enchanters are generally considered a buff/cc class, they can quite resolutely fill the role of dps as well. at any given level, with a charmed pet, you will almost always outdamage any mdps with an appropriate level charmed pet unless the mdps in question is extremely well twinked. you could easily have a group with 2 or more enchanters in it, as long as there are enough heals in the group.

Grim
12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
It sounds like you were set on either a necro or a wizard when you made this thread. in terms of group usefulness, the necro stands head and shoulders above a wizard. their pet alone will outdps a wizard over time, and they also have limited CC. the 40 mana necro heals are also amazingly efficient, and with constant healing of a good tank you might even cause some clerics to get bored and start nuking. you can also help balance out the group's mana pool with twitches.

Leaning towards, yes. Determined to play, no.

My choice of class is tempered by the desire to solo on occasion. It's not a necessity, but it'd be nice if I could when I had some spare time. I teach at the college level so I usually have classes 4 days a week with one day off for prep and marking, and from May through August I have copious amounts of spare time.

If I discount soloing I have no problems playing a warrior or cleric. I don't want to play an enchanter. If I factor in soloing my list would probably include shaman, wizard, necro, magician, monk or paladin.

If you say wizards are no good at the endgame, would any of the others be of use?

pickled_heretic
12-09-2011, 06:03 PM
you misunderstand me. wizards are quite good at the endgame in a raid environment, as they can dump 8k+ damage in the matter of a half a minute or so. their ability to do this will ALWAYS be useful to a raid. necros are not big players in a raid scene, but they have several abilities that are useful in a raid environment: necro heals, dmf, twitch, corpse summon, and feign death + necro revive. you will not usually be a star player as a necro, but you have certain abilities that can be advantageous at times.

what i'm more addressing is the fact that you seem to be uninterested in raiding, which is one of the main reasons to play a wizard. if that's the case, then wizard has really nothing to offer you. on the other hand, if you are interested in a necro, he will be both a far better grouper and a far better soloer.

EnnoiaII
12-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Chanter Cleric Warrior as said before are always in demand.

Chanter is probably the most well rounded.

Rogues / Wizards also seem fairly rare not sure why :/

Monks are more versatile pure melee DPS and a Magician can put out similar numbers to a Wizard while providing more utility and more reliable numbers because they won't run out of mana as fast. Wizards are good burst damage but are really mana dependent and run a higher risk of pulling aggro than a Magician.

EnnoiaII
12-09-2011, 06:42 PM
you misunderstand me. wizards are quite good at the endgame in a raid environment, as they can dump 8k+ damage in the matter of a half a minute or so. their ability to do this will ALWAYS be useful to a raid. necros are not big players in a raid scene, but they have several abilities that are useful in a raid environment: necro heals, dmf, twitch, corpse summon, and feign death + necro revive. you will not usually be a star player as a necro, but you have certain abilities that can be advantageous at times.

what i'm more addressing is the fact that you seem to be uninterested in raiding, which is one of the main reasons to play a wizard. if that's the case, then wizard has really nothing to offer you. on the other hand, if you are interested in a necro, he will be both a far better grouper and a far better soloer.

Necro DPS shines on longer fights (post-Kunark). Things like AoW can't be simply zerged down with his 1,000,000 HP, so a Necromancer can stack his full line of dots multiple times.

Grim
12-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Oh! Gotcha, no no no, the biggest single reason I want to play on Project 1999 is to raid. I already have a server where I can solo to my heart's content. It's fun, I enjoy mucking about, killing things, learning zones I never really learned (like Guk), but I miss raiding.

My favourite moments in EQ were all about raiding. I used to raid 5 days a week. I'd prefer raiding in Velious (easily my favourite expansion) but Kunark is fun too.