PDA

View Full Version : New to EQ

Ferenzee
12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Hello, I have always been fascinated by the stories of family members and friends, of this amazing word, and i was never able to share in their stories because i have never experienced the game. For this reason i decided to start a character on this classic server, i have never played EQ before.
as of right now i am playing a Bard, If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated :D, wish me luck.

Razdeline
12-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Welcome to EQ. Be prepared for an MMO before instancing (everything in game people have to compete over), rare-contested spawns, difficult quests, takes a long time to level, an actual real auction system.

Bards are good soloers later on, you can aoe kite multiple mobs and be pretty effective. Bards incur a 40% xp penalty, so it will take you longer to level up than some other characters. If you read into the getting started section you can see into this.

Good luck and welcome.

necrosaurio
12-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Bards are excellent soloers from level 2, when they get chords of dissonance. You can start strafe-kiting at that level. I got my bard to 9 just by doing that with the gnolls outside Blackburrow and doing the fangs quest.

The 40% experience penalty really hurts...

Welcome to EQ. Be prepared for an MMO before instancing (everything in game people have to compete over), rare-contested spawns, difficult quests, takes a long time to level, an actual real auction system.

Bards are good soloers later on, you can aoe kite multiple mobs and be pretty effective. Bards incur a 40% xp penalty, so it will take you longer to level up than some other characters. If you read into the getting started section you can see into this.

Good luck and welcome.

Lagaidh
12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Oh how I wish I were in your shoes! Starting with a clean slate on a classic server...

Everything will be a joy of discovery for you. That's what I'm jealous of... it's all new for you. I'm glad for you to have found a classic server. It's pretty darn close to how it was despite all the handwringing and crying on the forums.

Remember, for any online game, the forums always paint a portrait of an unfair broken game. Take it with a grain of salt and prepare to ENJOY the OBSESSION!

rafaone
12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Welcome ... :)

Daefuin
12-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Play on red99 server for real classic experience and some extra spice.

Blue server full of pansys and ita not classic anyways, it is kunark expansion

Plaidpants
12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Play on red99 server for real classic experience and some extra spice.

Blue server full of pansys and ita not classic anyways, it is kunark expansion

Can someone shed some light on this? Is this true? Or some red server guy trying to poach some players? Obviously Red doesn't have classic.. but I just returned from a year break from this and trying to decide which to play on. Don't want to start leveling on red if the server dwindles down below 200 players consistently after awhile.

Daefuin
12-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Can someone shed some light on this? Is this true? Or some red server guy trying to poach some players? Obviously Red doesn't have classic.. but I just returned from a year break from this and trying to decide which to play on. Don't want to start leveling on red if the server dwindles down below 200 players consistently after awhile.

Classic = No expansions
Kunark = Expansion

Blue has kunark = not classic
Red has no expansions = classic

Populations are pretty even between the servers, one can have more than the other at a given time.

Red will eventually have kunark, but until that time it is the classic.

Also, blue sucks because it has no pvp, no additional spice to the gameplay.

Plaidpants
12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Classic = No expansions
Kunark = Expansion

Blue has kunark = not classic
Red has no expansions = classic

Populations are pretty even between the servers, one can have more than the other at a given time.

Red will eventually have kunark, but until that time it is the classic.

Also, blue sucks because it has no pvp, no additional spice to the gameplay.

I'm not sure that makes it "suck" - I never got very far in EQ originally - otherwise it might be a fun idea. But I'm sure I'll have a hard enough time on the regular server as it is trying to hit max level.

Do you think the red population will die off after the newness wears off?

Vondra
12-12-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure that makes it "suck" - I never got very far in EQ originally - otherwise it might be a fun idea. But I'm sure I'll have a hard enough time on the regular server as it is trying to hit max level.

Do you think the red population will die off after the newness wears off?

I would expect it to go down a bit from what it is currently, but I don't think it will die off.

Alot of people had been looking forward to it for a long time, so as long as it is managed well I would figure on it getting scattered new players that hear about it and want to try EQ pvp on a decent emu to replace the random people that leave...at least to a reasonable degree.

Bottom line would be that if you want to try EQ pvp then have at it.

Ferenzee
12-13-2011, 10:23 PM
So far so good, i decided to make a magician instead. Bard seemed a bit hardcore for me, especially with the -40% exp. but the game is fun, thanks for the bard info, really cleared up the question of "Why the hell am i leveling so slow?"

Revival
12-13-2011, 10:39 PM
mage and necro are good choice

Diggles
12-13-2011, 11:20 PM
You wouldn't happen to be the enchanter I bumped into in Neriak, would ya? :p

webrunner5
12-14-2011, 04:29 AM
Yeah Mage good idea for someone new. But don't forget that you have to do 51% of the damge solo to get full XP experience. Not easy to do really on a consistant basis.

You used to have to only do one point of damage to get 100% XP before the pet nerf. Big change. Sucks.

Rezek
12-14-2011, 11:39 AM
You wouldn't happen to be the enchanter I bumped into in Neriak, would ya? :p

Hey Diggles! That was me, thanks again for you help;)

Plaidpants
12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah Mage good idea for someone new. But don't forget that you have to do 51% of the damge solo to get full XP experience. Not easy to do really on a consistant basis.

You used to have to only do one point of damage to get 100% XP before the pet nerf. Big change. Sucks.

Is that even possible on a mage? I'm a noob and I have a 21 mage (got him there before the nerf a year ago).. I'm not sure I have enough mana to even do that.. I guess I could if I used my whole mana bar on 2 kills(ish).

I also have a 13 necro.. I guess it would be easier on him because I'm aggro/fear kiting and I think I do 51% of the damage.

What about enchanter? How hard is it for them to do 51% of the damage? That's my 3rd character.. :p I'm found of pet classes.

Orruar
12-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Pretty sure that's a lie. I have not once seen the population of the red server higher than the blue. Typically, blue is about 100 higher than red. I expect that when epics release, and the newness of red wears off, blue will be double what red has, maybe more.

Plaidpants
12-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Pretty sure that's a lie. I have not once seen the population of the red server higher than the blue. Typically, blue is about 100 higher than red. I expect that when epics release, and the newness of red wears off, blue will be double what red has, maybe more.

That's what I've seen as well - and I'm thinking that will be the case. Very hesitant to spent too much time there.

mwatt
12-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Red99 is NOT the classic EQ experience. The only faint basis for a claim that can be made is because the Kunark expansion is not yet present on Red99. In every other way, the PVP game is so not representative of what EQ is all about. It's like a bizzaro EQ if anything. For some, it is ok in it's own right, but it sure as hell is not "classic EQ". It is however, full of people who like to call blue players "pansies" and other similar derogatory names. This is a good example of the kind of mindset on that server. It is primarily confrontational between players, while the real, original EQ was designed for cooperative play.

It is true that the "Blue" classic server already has Kunark, but it is pretty much merely an extension of what the world was before Kunark was released. Essentially the world got bigger, new items were added, a new race was added and the level cap went up a bit. A few changes were also made to some gameplay mechanics to also match up with what was done in the original EQ for the Kunark timeframe. Very much the classic experience. You can still choose to play exclusively in the old original world if you like.

Shaakglith12194
12-19-2011, 12:18 PM
If you're new to EQ, play blue. Red99 is for the guys who know the game and (most) used to play on a pvp server back in the day. The community on red99 is garbage. If 4+ year old 4chan memes knocked up everquest, the retarded baby would be the red99 community. If you get good at pvp quick, that makes it an absolute pleasure to kill just about everyone. There's a couple cool people here and there, but mostly dicks. Dicks everywhere. Not trashing the server, cuz I do have a character I play often on there, but it's cuz my RL buddy likes to play pvp. Would say I enjoy my time on blue99 killing mobs with people I don't know about the same as I enjoy my time on red99 killing douchebags with a guy I know in RL. Blue99 has a very friendly, helpful, social community. And kunark, which is more stuff for you to do, more loots, but also a more spread out populace.

Messianic
12-19-2011, 02:42 PM
If 4+ year old 4chan memes knocked up everquest, the retarded baby would be the red99 community.

hahah...nice

Duma
12-19-2011, 04:09 PM
The sooner you learn to ignore the Everquest pvp community the happier you will be.

Slave
12-19-2011, 04:26 PM
My one and only piece of advice to a new player would be: do not play a bard (or a warrior). Magician is an outstanding choice. Always try to group with at least 1 person to avoid the major pet exp nerf. (Even if they're in another zone and not actively helping you with your camp)

That said, I have some statements that you should hear.

1) Kunark is probably the best expansion for any game, of any genre, at any time, ever. And I am including Diablo 2: LOD in this.

2) You are one of the very few people to recently be able to play this game as a new experience. I envy you in the way that I envy someone who is about to read George RR Martin for the first time.

3) I absolutely congratulate you on your mere attempt to play this game. The coolest and smartest people I know won't even do that. So this pretty much makes you instantly cooler and smarter than the best people I know. FML.