PDA

View Full Version : Incentive for donation: p99 online store

Zithax
04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
P99 could create an online store where forum members would be able to purchase tokens by amount, $1 = 100 tokens, $10 = 1000 tokens, etc. There would then be a shop that the forum users could navigate to, and purchase vanity items for their forum profile, or in-game character.

Forum aesthetics might include a colored/bolded/italic name, title, or misc info. maybe even rights to image in sig. Now, vanity for in-game characters could work great, citing ornamentations on eqlive now, something that doesn't add stats but gives a cool aesthetic look. Maybe have 10k tokens buy a special in-game title from a pre-selected list or the players can talk to a dev about a special one. These things would not signify status, but instead signify ones contribution to the overall enjoyment we all gain from this server.

This is also highly profitable but I'm thinking just far enough to support the server. This would not only benefit one time donations, but repeated donations as well. When funds reach a certain high point, freeze the store until the server $$ reserves begin to lower, and open it back up (if it proves to be successful, that is)

Thoughts?

Sadface
04-14-2010, 10:36 PM
I'd pay for a highlander title.

There can be only one, though ...

Taslion
04-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Trading tokens for the ability to sticky a topic for a certain amount of time would be cool, too.

jilena
04-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Maybe just sell some P99 tshirts! I really want a shirt that says "I'm getting on my main!!"

Shannacore
04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I would rep a p99 shirt.

xnolanx
04-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Maybe just sell some P99 tshirts! I really want a shirt that says "I'm getting on my main!!"

Yeah, that's what I was thinking just in-case if the store was implemented, because there is obviously never going to be anything viable in-game, it's been asked time and time again, and is never going to happen, but clothing could work.

hilikus010
04-14-2010, 11:10 PM
I would rep a P99 breastplate. I need AC in real life.

guineapig
04-14-2010, 11:11 PM
PROJECT 1999

I like it because it tells you nothing unless you are a big nerd like us. :D

jilena
04-14-2010, 11:14 PM
I mean they could always cafe press it or something but I think their stuff kinda sucks.

JayDee
04-14-2010, 11:17 PM
PROJECT 1999

I like it because it tells you nothing unless you are a big nerd like us. :D

They will probably just think you are a Prince fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnuijDieOvY

Otto
04-14-2010, 11:36 PM
If we decide to do server shirts, there is a silk screen shop downtown here that I have an in with. Could use their materials probably.

Worked there for a school year and then got replaced during the summer =(

Drubu
04-14-2010, 11:42 PM
They should sell things like a no-drop manastone and pre-nerf DE mask for 50$-75$ each. Priced high enough that most users won't buy any but when someone does its a nice donation that doesnt effect much in-game.

It would also be fair, since so many users came in late and never got a chance at these items.

JayDee
04-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Unfortunate imo

Budah
04-15-2010, 12:37 AM
I think in game outfits or ceremonial weapons would be cool. As a previous poster said, make donations worth tokens, and then make special non-stat items worth x amount of tokens. One option might be to make a full suit of all/all black plate armor worth 50k in tokens, special unique shields & weapons maybe 10-30k, and perhaps a title "Sir / Lady" for a relatively high donation...

bionicbadger
04-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Thoughts?

Give everyone that hasn't donated the prefix "Cheap Bastard" to their in game characters

Taluvill
04-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Like the whole T-shirt idea. If it was something simple, I may not feel like such a gamer geek wearing one heh.

You can't sell anything in game or game changing. Manastones and guises are out for sure. Forum titles would be cool, In game titles would be cool as well, if they were like license plates and were unique.

Like if you bought a title, and the whole deal was that only one person per title. So if i wanted to be Wanderer Taluvill, I'd be the only Wanderer around.

Im sure glitch wants the title supreme overlord or something too. Theres a guaranteed sale there lol.

Budah
04-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Like the whole T-shirt idea. If it was something simple, I may not feel like such a gamer geek wearing one heh.

You can't sell anything in game or game changing. Manastones and guises are out for sure. Forum titles would be cool, In game titles would be cool as well, if they were like license plates and were unique.

Like if you bought a title, and the whole deal was that only one person per title. So if i wanted to be Wanderer Taluvill, I'd be the only Wanderer around.

Im sure glitch wants the title supreme overlord or something too. Theres a guaranteed sale there lol.

Unique titles would be unfair to those who joined after. A broad title as I said (Sir/Lady) would make it fair for everyone, and would also have those who donate stand out amongst others.

L2Phantom
04-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Unique titles would be unfair to those who joined after. A broad title as I said (Sir/Lady) would make it fair for everyone, and would also have those who donate stand out amongst others.

+1

xnolanx
04-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah, I second that ^^^^^

jilena
04-15-2010, 01:53 AM
I don't understand the whole rewards for donating thing. Having the server be the awesome experience it is and not die due to being to expensive to sustain is reward enough.

I would however be all for buying some fun shirts and having part of the proceeds go to p99....

mitic
04-15-2010, 08:30 AM
sir and lady is not classic and was introduced with aas

:p

Hasbinbad
04-15-2010, 10:40 AM
If we decide to do server shirts, there is a silk screen shop downtown here that I have an in with. Could use their materials probably.

Worked there for a school year and then got replaced during the summer =(
For west coast distribution, I have a really good friend that works at a silk screen shop too. He gets good shirts on the cheap!

Lonedrahon25
04-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Im in favor of shirts and outside eq items. Im not for anything within P99, not titles, not items, anything. Just makes me feel like this is too much of a jap/chinese/korean game where everyone just buys whatever with RL cash.

Budah
04-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Im in favor of shirts and outside eq items. Im not for anything within P99, not titles, not items, anything. Just makes me feel like this is too much of a jap/chinese/korean game where everyone just buys whatever with RL cash.

Its been said that there absolutely will NOT be any game changing items for sale. With that being said, in the game is where the community is. If they want to reward (which seems to be the concept) then that is where the rewards should be. I do not want to see anything that could not be considered "classic" outside of titles, and as I mentioned, Sir/Lady would suffice for me.

Budah
04-15-2010, 10:49 AM
sir and lady is not classic and was introduced with aas

:p

I'm assuming the ' :p ' was meant to be taken as a joke, but if it wasn't:

I know, I just think that BECAUSE it's not classic, it would be a sufficient reward. Something that wouldn't be in the game otherwise, yet could be special anyway. GMs could title players back in 1999, one of my guildies was a "Sir". Another guildie was able to make a 3 letter name (he had the most deaths on the server). *Shrug* Gms had a lot of abilities back in the day - any one of those would probably be a nice incentive.

mgellan
04-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Can we get a free armor dye job for a donation? Not game changing but I wouldn't mind changing my goofy orange bronze to snazzy black or even an Iron Man red and yellow :) Pretty sure the #dye command in eqemu could be scripted to make it easy for GMs to do or create an NPC and update the perl script with toon names....

Regards,
Mg

Bayleo
04-15-2010, 11:10 AM
They should sell things like a no-drop manastone and pre-nerf DE mask for 50$-75$ each. Priced high enough that most users won't buy any but when someone does its a nice donation that doesnt effect much in-game.

It would also be fair, since so many users came in late and never got a chance at these items.

Wow. Do you idiots realize that this is exactly what killed EQ Live? You can't expect to offer loot for SALE and believe that gamers will still equate said loot with status. Stop being tools and donate, or don't and go back to paying $15 a month for World of Warshit. And buy your gold there, and buy your characters so you don't have to spend the time to level them. And buy your "For the Horde" T-Shirt, and your custom 6-button WoW mouse, and your replica Frostmorne, and your griffon baby plush action figure,

Bottom line, you shouldn't need an incentive to contribute to a community. It defeats the purpose. If that concept eludes you, you need to drink Drano, immediately. Nobody wants you making babies.

DevGrousis
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
I'd pay for a highlander title.

There can be only one, though ...

hahahahaha made my day! thaank you lol

mitic
04-15-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm assuming the ' :p ' was meant to be taken as a joke, but if it wasn't:

I know, I just think that BECAUSE it's not classic, it would be a sufficient reward. Something that wouldn't be in the game otherwise, yet could be special anyway. GMs could title players back in 1999, one of my guildies was a "Sir". Another guildie was able to make a 3 letter name (he had the most deaths on the server). *Shrug* Gms had a lot of abilities back in the day - any one of those would probably be a nice incentive.

afaik sir and lady was/is given to paladins when u reach a certain amount of AAs, so i was serious about it not being classic ;)

Jeebus
04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
who cares; illusion pots / aa titles would be great. Also the t-shirt thing is a decent idea as well.

Bones
04-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Lol good shit Bayleo
I agree, too. Devs already stated they will NEVER give in game items for any reason.
Also, to whoever said they took out the masks/stones too early, they didn't. Sorry you got here too late.
I wouldn't mind something like a Sir/Lady title either.
Although I honestly would prefer a suffix title to a prefix one. Something like Bones the "___" instead of Sir Bones which just sounds gay to me :P

Zithax
04-15-2010, 02:39 PM
I also had another idea to throw in, have the dev's compile a list of known bugs and let people pay tokens to boost an issue they want fixed faster to the top. enough people donate the issue gets fixed faster

Spud
04-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Can we get a free armor dye job for a donation? Not game changing but I wouldn't mind changing my goofy orange bronze to snazzy black or even an Iron Man red and yellow :) Pretty sure the #dye command in eqemu could be scripted to make it easy for GMs to do or create an NPC and update the perl script with toon names....

Regards,
Mg

I dont understand armor dye at all.

The only way to tell whether or not someone has good gear or not is by the color of the armor and what weapons they are holding. Theres only 4 types of armor per race everything else is just a different color variation. Green chainmail = mid level ranger, light blue plate = planar paladin. How do you tell who is rocking ivy etched and who has green dyed chainmail?? Is it really ivy etched or did the guy just donate $10 and dyed is armor? is he even a ranger?

I quit when this stupid stuff like this was implemented so i dont even know how it worked

Give everyone that hasn't donated the prefix "Cheap Bastard" to their in game characters

lol.

KilyenaMage
04-15-2010, 04:48 PM
For God's sake....NO ARMOR DYES PLEASE.

If I see people running around in neon green / pink outfits everywhere I'm gonna be REALLLYYYYYYYYYY pissed off.

Tallenn
04-15-2010, 06:02 PM
I am against anything in game. Smacks too much of Smed cash to me.

I really like the T-shirt idea, though! Baseball caps would be cool too.

Spud
04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Im for something simple like the Lord/Lady thing.

Its nothing crazy but you can tell who donates and whose a cheap bastard. Or you can tell who just joined the server and who didnt.

Or we can just go with bionicbadger's idea and label everyone with the "cheap bastard" which you can only have removed when you donate 'X' amount of dollars.

Same idea lol

Xumosa
04-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Im for something simple like the Lord/Lady thing.

Its nothing crazy but you can tell who donates and whose a cheap bastard. Or you can tell who just joined the server and who didnt.

Or we can just go with bionicbadger's idea and label everyone with the "cheap bastard" which you can only have removed when you donate 'X' amount of dollars.

Same idea lol

yeah id imagine the title idea would be cool...untill almost every lvl 50 you see is running around with the same title...then it kind of looses its cool right away

JaVeDK
04-15-2010, 06:46 PM
yeah id imagine the title idea would be cool...untill almost every lvl 50 you see is running around with the same title...then it kind of looses its cool right away

Agreed. Titles were special back in original EQ. Few had them, and whenever you saw someone with a title, you were awed and tended to remember them.

Due to legal issues I'm against any kind of in-game rewards, but in principle I'm all for rewarding those who donate. Board titles/privileges or points that can be used for a discount to buy real merchandise in an online store would be awesome.

jilena
04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Even titles and other such in game I think is a bit lame and will encourage the "buying your way into coolness" attitude. I think selling something with part of the money going to fund the server, or maybe holding contests outside the game would work good, if someone has to have a LOOK AT ME I DONATED thing going maybe something on the forums...

gamerswithjobs for instance does an annual donation drive, typically it works like this:

1.) if you donate over X amount (like 10$ or something) you get entered into a contest to win X video game merchandise
2.) if you donate you get a nifty little icon next to your name on the forums that upgrades each year you donate, like year one might be a giant dildo, year two you upgrade to a cheeseburger, year three you get a platinum grill, year four you get some gold chains, etc etc You can't buy ahead so if you want the coolest icon you have to donate every year.

*shrug*

Anything more than that or selling merchandise is lame and cheapens the game.

Chucck
04-16-2010, 08:53 AM
You people do get the actual concept in "DONATING", right!? Its called a donation, you give and you don't get anything back. Anything else would be considered buying. You would be buying said titles, items, tokens. There will never be anything ever sold for real life money(even if you still try to argue its for donating) ingame due to legal reasons. You want a reward for your donation(once again, defeating the actual purpose)? You get one everytime your allowed to log into THEIR(not ours) server and get to play on the game they created, and it gets to remain constant and functional.

Yes I have donated, no I don't want anything other then rogean not to go into debt and have to cancel the server. All this other crap is what ruined EQ,EQ2, UO etc.

Zordana
04-16-2010, 08:57 AM
You people do get the actual concept in "DONATING", right!? Its called a donation, you give and you don't get anything back. Anything else would be considered buying. You would be buying said titles, items, tokens. You want a reward for your donation(once again, defeating the actual purpose)? You get one everytime your allowed to log into THEIR(not ours) server and get to play on the game they created, and it gets to remain constant and functional.

Yes I have donated, no I don't want anything other then rogean not to go into debt and have to cancel server. All this other crap is what ruined EQ2, UO etc.

presidential speech is presidential! *thumbs up*

Chucck
04-16-2010, 09:12 AM
presidential speech is presidential!

Sorry I just surf these boards at night while working(bored), and when I see the most common sense thing over and over I get annoyed. That or when the same thing is rehashed over and over even after being answered by the guys who own the server. /rant

Lill-Leif
04-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Be careful with t-shirts and such. I don't think SonyEQ will be happy if P99 become some sort of brand with merchandise instead of "just" a private server..