PDA

View Full Version : Bad idea to make a Halfing Warrior?

VincentVolaju
04-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Hey so I mentioned this in a different thread but didn't get many opinions on it so thought Id be make a thread for it. A lot of people say that making any kind of Warrior other then Ogre is just worthless. That the front stun immunity + str is too important to give up for other races.

I really want to try a Warrior but, I really don't like the look of Ogres (or Trolls for that matter) lol, not to mention being "evil" is just a pain in the ass. So I was wondering, how much of a nerfed Warrior would I be if I chose something other then Ogre/Troll for my race? Such as a Halfing or Wood Elf?

How big of a difference would it make in both leveling the character, tanking in groups, and end game raids?

Thanks!!!

Xumosa
04-16-2010, 06:45 PM
big enough that you will always feel a little gimped, but not big enough that you shouldnt play the race you want to play, when i played on EQ live our best guild on the server main tank was a dwarf warrior and he out tanked any other warriors out there..my guild which was like 4-5th? best on server our main tank was a wood elf...it comes down to skill of player imo if you can hold hate and take more dmg then a ranger then it'll all work out in the end!

ps imo gnome warrior ftw

Waedawen
04-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Don't be anything except 1) Ogre 2) Troll 3) Barbarian 4) Dwarf 5) Human (MAYBE).

You will be killed.

And chances are anyone who says that they're planning to make a Wood elf / half elf / halfling / gnome warrior is going to twink the hell out of it, so take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Taluvill
04-16-2010, 06:46 PM
as a wood elf or halfling... for example, you'd have more dex/agi. Agi adds to your ac and such, whilst dex adds to your proc chance, which is absolutely nuts for warriors. That's how they hold aggro.

In the end, STA is by far the hardest stat to max with other stats decently high. So ogres and trolls just have such a mind numbingly high innate sta number that it is kinda dumb to make anything other than a ogre. Trolls Regen is basically nothing past 30ish, so yeah. they are useless except for more stats.

The thing is though, play what you like. You wont not main tank for a guild because your not an ogre. If you have better gear/stats, you'll Main tank. I'm actually planning a wood elf warrior myself, just to be different.

Sadface
04-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Don't be anything except 1) Ogre 2) Troll 3) Barbarian 4) Dwarf 5) Human (MAYBE).

You will be killed.

lol wut

VincentVolaju
04-16-2010, 06:55 PM
big enough that you will always feel a little gimped, but not big enough that you shouldnt play the race you want to play, when i played on EQ live our best guild on the server main tank was a dwarf warrior and he out tanked any other warriors out there..my guild which was like 4-5th? best on server our main tank was a wood elf...it comes down to skill of player imo if you can hold hate and take more dmg then a ranger then it'll all work out in the end!

ps imo gnome warrior ftw

How exactly do you become a "better tank" then others in EQ. I thought in EQ the only things you really do for aggro is Kick or Bash, and then Taunt. Or is there more to it then just that? I really dont know much about the game, most of what I know is from asking/reading stuff on these forums. Are there other ways you gain aggro as a warrior other then Bashing and Taunting?

MrBeerBelly
04-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Play what you want to play. I prefer to group with gimptards to be honest.

Xumosa
04-16-2010, 07:01 PM
How exactly do you become a "better tank" then others in EQ. I thought in EQ the only things you really do for aggro is Kick or Bash, and then Taunt. Or is there more to it then just that? I really dont know much about the game, most of what I know is from asking/reading stuff on these forums. Are there other ways you gain aggro as a warrior other then Bashing and Taunting?

was thinking more along the lines of how fast you pull stuff off casters/your healer, the speed of which you you react to adds and observation of surroundings all these kind of things hehe

PearlJammzz
04-16-2010, 07:01 PM

If only that was the case. It's highly gear dependent, but it's also lots of skill. What do you do when the chanter pulls aggro from a broken mez? You need to have split-second reaction and skills to pull that mob off. Tanking isn't trivial. If you are an ok player it may seem trivial, but there is a big leap in the average warrior, and the best warriors in terms of skill for sure.

Shannacore
04-16-2010, 07:05 PM
HALFLINGS 4 LYFE

Lelroni
04-16-2010, 07:06 PM

Some other things warriors need to learn to be 'good' are positioning the mobs correctly (cornering them, moving them into position so AE's don't hit your casters "LoS") and timing your taunts/aggro abilities. Warriors are also very gear dependant.

PearlJammzz
04-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Some other things warriors need to learn to be 'good' are positioning the mobs correctly (cornering them, moving them into position so AE's don't hit your casters "LoS") and timing your taunts/aggro abilities. Warriors are also very gear dependant.

Playing a rogue, and having a mage with a backstab pet I can't stress enough how much we LOVE a tank who takes a mob, and flips it for the group. It makes it so all melee attacks can't be parried/reposted. It's nice to not have to run circles around mobs in order to BS too lol.

FLIP MOBS YOU WORTHLESS BAGS OF MEAT! ;)

alreadyhome
04-16-2010, 07:22 PM
What about iksar when when Kunark comes out? I was thinking of making a lizard warrior..

Xumosa
04-16-2010, 07:39 PM
What about iksar when when Kunark comes out? I was thinking of making a lizard warrior..

change topic from "Halfling" to "Iksar" and re-read everything

Gweed
04-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Play what you want.

Also, Ogre frontal stun immunity does not work on p1999

magic
04-16-2010, 07:43 PM
change topic from "Halfling" to "Iksar" and re-read everything

i lol'd

VincentVolaju
04-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Play what you want.

Really? If thats the case then I will def. be a halfing or wood elf =)

Otto
04-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I played a Halfling Warrior on live.

I was main tank many times for high end raid encounters, and we had plenty of geared ogres/barbs/trolls.

I tanked every raid target from Velious to Quarm in PoP. Then I quit. It was not an issue for the clerics to keep me alive.

Play what you want. The statistical difference between races is not so drastic that it warrants you to pick between only one or two races.

xorbier
04-16-2010, 08:35 PM
You'll notice a big difference in the low levels but once you reach the high end game it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Skill is more important than anything.

Back in the day pre pop some of the best warriros i saw were not ogres.

akusei
04-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah when it comes down to it, gear and skill are what make a tank. Ogre's frontal stun immunity is nice, but since it isn't working, then just go with the race you want to play. I played a gnome war (and then froglok war once they came out) and was a main tank and did just fine. Stamina is what you want to look at, but a few more base hp isn't going to be the determining factor. Like people said before, basic things like being able to corner a mob (shrinking down to fit in the corner so the mob is stuffed face-first in the corner), being able to snap aggro (pulling mobs off of your group), and knowing to turn mobs for your group so rogues/mag pets can backstab and if you have morons in your group that like to fight from the front and get eaten alive by riposte.

Bayho
04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
I played a Human Warrior originally, and at the end game it does not matter that much, even when the end game is level 50. You do not even want to know the number of hateplane raids I tanked just to get full Indicolite, with every other race as an off-tank.

Humerox
04-16-2010, 10:52 PM
We have a wood-elf warrior that has mad tanking skillz and can MT with the best of them.

:)

VincentVolaju
04-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Seems like most people are saying its gear dependent, if thats the case should I not make a Warrior until Ive already got a high level character with money to twink it?

StinkyGreenBud
04-16-2010, 10:57 PM
halflings are gay...need proof? lord of the rings.

Bayho
04-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Halflings are scary, they can crawl up inside of you and do all kinds of damage from the inside out!

ride the spiral
04-17-2010, 12:02 AM

positioning, "battlefield awareness", anticipating aggro changes, using taunt the correct way.

as for the thread, you're going to be off by 40 sta compared to ogres (with starting points spent in sta, for both ogre (to a cap of 150 sta) and halfling (110 sta)).

I believe at level 50 it's 6hp per stamina. 40x6 = 240hp.

large races also can bash which is invaluable with caster mobs, allowing one to continue duel wielding or 2h.

so go ahead a be a cute little halfling, just remember to comb the hair on your feets.

Humerox
04-17-2010, 12:07 AM
I can add - under battlefield awareness - things like knowing when and why to switch targets, knowing when to call for assist - knowing what adds have come in and assigning ST's -

Any idiot can stand in front of a mob and swing. It takes skill to be a good tank.

buffug
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
On live, pre-Kunark, the only thing I noticed differently about the midgets was that in regards to some mobs, you had to close more distance...for example, I would have to be pretty much directly under the belly of a griffawn to hit it...with the game upgrades, though (such as the ring around the target) it may no longer be necessary.

If you're going halfling, get the rantho rapier as soon as you can kill the fish in RV. Definitely worth having. a 2hs with 4dmg seems really stupid til you see it in action.

buffug
04-19-2010, 03:45 PM
should also put in the time to grind gobbos to get your squad ring also...

guineapig
04-19-2010, 03:54 PM
As posted by many before me, it's all about gear and skill, not race.

I had a halfling warrior alt on live and even got to be MT on a pickup raid in PoP and nobody thought twice about letting me tank.

Just concentrate on your hitpoints and armor class and when you have additional choices add it to dex for procing weapons. You only need enough strength to be able to carry around your gear. Warriors generate heaps more aggro from procs than they do from DPS, so don't try to fall back on that.

Shannacore
04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
HALFLINGS 4 LYFE

Dantes
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
I used to play a Wood Elf warrior on live - got up to 55 and played through Kunark, quit after that. I focused on gathering all of the extra equipment to boost AGI I could find, my theory was that with higher AC I wouldn't need the extra HPs. The DEX proc is a good example, I used a Bloodpoint in my offhand just to produce more aggro and it proc'd all the time. I really didn't have trouble holding aggro or staying alive. When helping folks with quest armor, I'd often be the solo tank against Kunark giants in a small group of 5-6, most clerics didn't have trouble keeping me alive.

But most of all I just liked the look of plate on Wood Elves. When it came down to it, I just didn't like the look of the Ogre. The decision didn't keep me from getting into groups or raids.

Coincidentally I started a DE warrior here on P99, once again, they got the cool armor. What can I say? I gotta put up with being evil and not even get the STA bonus. Oh well :)

odizzido
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Slam may not be a useful skill all the time, but when you are fighting a caster mob and you can just bash them to kill their casting it's really nice. If you don't like the look of ogres/trolls you can always make a barbarian. They also get slam and their stats are okay.

And I agree that dex is a very important stat for warriors to have. What good is being able to tank if you can't keep the mob on you?

mitic
04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
dont think twice and go woodelf already..ull be unique..screw the fatties and hairyfoots :D

Malrubius
04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Bad idea to make a Halfing Warrior?

No. No class/race combo is inherently a bad idea.

...unless you are making a Ranger. ;)

mirko
04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Dark Elf warrior = pure sexiness

nicemace
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
my warrior on live was wood elf. i was main tank for raiding guild in planes of power. got the second blade of war on server :P never once considered being wood elf a disadvantage.

i really wouldnt look into race advantages/disadvantages too much aye.

maybe not so much in classic but from kunark onwards, its moreso how you gear your char.

in terms of just grouping. whats going to make a good tank is that you dont lose agro and dont let ya group die cause of random mobs running round smashing shit. this is done with not being a retard and weps with sexy procs that generate good agro. oh i miss my good old SoD.

in terms of raiding whats going to make a good tank is the above, and also not dying, which is based on your gear, not your race lol.

and for old times sake...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/rhiza/rhiza.jpg

Elissa
04-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Play what you want.

Really? If thats the case then I will def. be a halfing or wood elf =)

This is an open bug topic on the forums which will hopefully be addressed soon: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3144

Omnimorph
04-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Just be whatever race you think looks cool. That's what I do.

Tallenn
04-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Just remember that everyone you meet is going to wonder if you chose that combo just for the xp bonus. True or not, doesn't matter- they will all wonder it.

On the other hand, if I were to make a cleric (I thought of it, but changed my mind- one of my mains in live was a cleric, and I liked it), I would definitely choose halfling. Not so much for the bonus (though that is nice), but for the sneak and hide. Getting regular invis has always been tough for clerics, so the hide is awesome, and the sneak allows you to use merchants almost anywhere, as well as complete some quests without having the faction.

DE is a good choice too- also have hide, and get a nifty necklace that allows them to snare (a crappy snare, though), which can come in handy if you solo. Soloing as a cleric is always possible- I've done it many times- but it's neither fast nor interesting. Grouping is always better, and groups are generally easy to get. But, DEs get no sneak.

mitic
04-20-2010, 01:59 AM
any warrior race wont be able to hold aggro as good as hybrids in the low/mid lvls in classic.

kevincheese
04-20-2010, 06:27 AM
any warrior race wont be able to hold aggro as good as hybrids ever

fixed

Audacious93c
04-20-2010, 12:53 PM
That stamina difference is maybe 200hp? altogether at 50. Not a huge difference, so lets not centralize that as being the main issue. This thread is about as casual gamer as it gets. You can still play any race you want to for your Warrior, but an Ogre is a power gamer route.

Most warriors are dual wielding Short Sword of Ykesha's at level 50. So yes, warriors are pretty proc reliant. However, no matter how high your dexterity; you will run into points where it just seems like your weapons wont proc for you. Which leads me to my first argument.

Slam seems to be a neglected tool in this thread. Slam is a timed stun, which is a huge benefit. Yksesha proc has something like a .5 second stun with a 75 direct damage spell when it procs. Slam can last up to 4 seconds (I believe?) and causes a bit of damage. That just sounds like a weak ass Ykesha proc to me, what do you think? Having a timed one is just a huge advantage.

Frontal Stun Immunity on an Ogre (although not currently working..) is a huge advantage. Warriors, Hybrids, w/e cannot hold aggro when they are stunned. Thats just common sense. So if you arent getting stunned, you are constantly building threat/hate. During that time halfling warrior is stunned, the ogre warrior could slam/proc/shit in its face.

An ogre warrior SHOULD hold better aggro than any other race within the game. Its been proven quite a few times. That wood elf warrior that has the skill of a god right now would be Zeus as an ogre. You can still tank anything as any other race, but denying the obvious benefits of being an Ogre is stupid. You gotta face it, EverQuest was not designed around being equal for everyone. Now if I could just get over being a Huge ass ogre in a small ass dungeon... Id play one ;) haha

guineapig
04-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Now if I could just get over being a Huge ass ogre in a small ass dungeon... Id play one ;) haha

This right here!

Classic dungeons are the single reason why shrink spells exist and why every troll and ogre needs to have a shaman friend in tow where ever they go.

Almost makes you wonder if shrink was an after thought when they were finalizing the game and realized what they had done to large races.

Brut
04-21-2010, 02:40 AM
This right here!

Classic dungeons are the single reason why shrink spells exist and why every troll and ogre needs to have a shaman friend in tow where ever they go.

Almost makes you wonder if shrink was an after thought when they were finalizing the game and realized what they had done to large races.

Ogres and trolls and whatnot all had ultravision methinks, so they had a slight bonus in dungeons compared to, let's say, humans. Imo classic had alot more thought going on in it. =X

Finawin
04-21-2010, 02:42 AM
Infravision

Only Dark Elves had Ultravision.