PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from the server experience on deciding character

Curmudgen
12-25-2011, 03:35 PM
I am unsure about race as far as shaman goes. My specific style will most likely involve never raiding, and sometimes grouping. Mostly soloing.

Dont care for iksar or barb. Which one troll or ogre would be better suited for that do you think?

Vondra
12-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Ogre stun resist trumps anything any other race has to offer, especially for shaman.

Skekekke
12-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Troll regen is golden once you start cannibalizing.

liveitup1216
12-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Ogre stun resist > troll regen for soloing imo.

Cast
12-25-2011, 05:17 PM
my sig will guide u

whippetofspades
12-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Ogre stun immunity isn't that much of an issue until soloing Velious dragons at 60, or so most people seem to argue. Even then the advantage is marginal, a point which was proved in a different shaman thread.

Given that you'll be spending most of your time during levels 1-59 NOT soloing dragons, the added regen for trolls is worthwhile, will make soloing much less painful (especially until 34) and doesn't become irrelevant until 60 when you get torpor. Not to mention the snare necklace if you choose Innoruuk as your deity.

Plus trolls have green skin, big pointy ears and purple eyes. It's a no brainer.

phobus
12-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Serious question: does the Troll's faster killing due to innate regen make up for the fact that he needs more exp to level?

Messianic
12-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Serious question: does the Troll's faster killing due to innate regen make up for the fact that he needs more exp to level?

Absolutely not. You'll still level craptons slower.

I've run the numbers for iksar necro vs non-iksar, etc, and the difference is dismal until 50+ - and even then, the biggest difference is 55-60. So there's definitely a sizeable difference at level 60, but only small differences up to 55ish - and even 55-59, it's not enough to offset the penalty.

webrunner5
12-27-2011, 10:24 AM
I would go with Ogre. Every Shaman I have made I melee with it a ton. The stun resist is great not only being hit but trying to cast spells. And the starting Melee stats are killer.

And having shrink spell helps a ton as a Ogre. But the XP penality sucks on both. Might even cost you a group because of it.

Estu
12-27-2011, 11:43 AM
If you want to reach 60 as fast as possible, go barbarian.

If you want to be as effective as possible 1-59, go troll.

If you want to be as effective as possible at 60, go ogre.

Kelsar
12-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Ogre for a variety of reasons. Multiple mobs bashing your face while you try to get off slow is among them... Very real when farming items.

Brad_mo123
12-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Um no. If you want to be the most effective for groups you should go barbarian, nothing tops slowing yourself with the barb hammer and spamming jbb, get so many double procs and it is best for solo as well. At 60 you get torpor, just slow yourself, slow the mob, put pox dot on it, auto attack and spam jbb. Torpor if you get below 40% or so and if you need to you can jbb then canni, jbb, then canni and torpor when needed, to keep your mana up. Troll regen is only good honostly before 60 because torpor just makes regen near pointless. Ogre is only good in group where your tank sucks. Stun immune is nice but really you only get hit more then once or twice in a poor group and if that is the case you should leave.

Really just play what you want to play. If you want to be serious about it, make a barb and get yourself a barb hammer with a jbb, get as much stam as you can because the more hp the more effective torpor tanking is but of course dont gimp your wis too much. My wis is at about 180 and thats actually higher then I really want, I am looking to boost my stam/hp even more. Dotting mobs and rooting is just not near as much dmg as what a barb can do with his hammer and if you are not a barb, you will be dotting and rooting to do dmg, it's slow as hell in comparison.

Gwence
12-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Ogre stun immunity isn't that much of an issue until soloing Velious dragons at 60, or so most people seem to argue. Even then the advantage is marginal, a point which was proved in a different shaman thread.

Given that you'll be spending most of your time during levels 1-59 NOT soloing dragons, the added regen for trolls is worthwhile, will make soloing much less painful (especially until 34) and doesn't become irrelevant until 60 when you get torpor. Not to mention the snare necklace if you choose Innoruuk as your deity.

Plus trolls have green skin, big pointy ears and purple eyes. It's a no brainer.

I assume you're talking about the dinky light blue WW dragons here, because /laugh at shaman solo'ing a velious dragon at level 60, that isn't happening.

Asher
12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
I never understood why people always say regen is pointless when you can Torpor.

Neither my health nor my mana are ever full when I am soloing or grouping. Regen is always on and always doing its job. Regen is never pointless.

Troll all the way, even though snare neck is still fubar'd on this server.

Asher

Brad_mo123
12-30-2011, 03:04 PM
I never understood why people always say regen is pointless when you can Torpor.

Neither my health nor my mana are ever full when I am soloing or grouping. Regen is always on and always doing its job. Regen is never pointless.

Troll all the way, even though snare neck is still fubar'd on this server.

Asher

Regen does something sure but you have to look at what you sacrifice to get it. You will get maybe 3 more cannies in when doing a cannie from full to 30%, depending on how much hp you have. It is not worth it when giving up the barb hammer strat.

Curmudgen
12-30-2011, 04:24 PM
how is the snare necklace FUBAR on this server?

Extunarian
12-30-2011, 05:54 PM
how is the snare necklace FUBAR on this server?

Some people say it doesn't snare enough. Developer who refactored the spell file says it is classic. I have never tried or seen it in action, so can't comment.

whippetofspades
12-30-2011, 08:58 PM
I assume you're talking about the dinky light blue WW dragons here, because /laugh at shaman solo'ing a velious dragon at level 60, that isn't happening.

Really? You think it's necessary to make a post pointing out that ANY class can't solo raid encounters? Do you think this is what I meant? You're an idiot.

Orruar
12-31-2011, 12:10 AM
Go barb or maybe troll. Ogre stun resist is pretty worthless at the higher levels, unless you plan to spend a lot of time plowing multiple green con trash at the same time. Iksar are a pain to level, both due to lack of JBB and xp penalty. Personally I prefer a barb.

Galelor
12-31-2011, 01:00 AM

WW dragons are not light blue, but no one is talking about Sont... What other class can solo even 90% of these 'dinky' dragons in WW at 60?