PDA

View Full Version : What classes are needed

godbox
12-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi I am currently trying to get into 1999 (waiting on ebay for titanium since thats only way to play I guess). Anyway it seems like 1999 is smallish community and I was wondering what classes are most needed / what zones do people level in since server not crazy populated I dont wanna be all by my lonesome once I do get going.
thanks

quido
12-31-2011, 07:32 PM
need more bst

Ninja
12-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Both servers are really short on druids.

No one seems to want to play them for some reason.

Maytone
12-31-2011, 07:44 PM
clerics/enchanters high end most needed classes. But as a starter class to someone new to p99 it would be hard to start from nothing as that. Necro's seem to be in more demand. Which is also not group dependant and can do your own thing

tldr, play what you enjoy (this is on blue server, not sure what is needed on red)

Versus
12-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Underplayed: Ranger. Needed? Enchanter

Doublestep
12-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Both servers are really short on druids.

No one seems to want to play them for some reason.

because it's like rolling a wizard except people also ask for sow and you aren't wanted in endgame

Doublestep
12-31-2011, 07:58 PM
If you got a bag of Steins of Moggok you could heal better than a druid too!

Radiskull
12-31-2011, 08:43 PM
All P1999 needs is more people these days! Play whatever you'll enjoy the most. As far as class desirablity, it is probably enchanter, cleric, then tank classes. I've had the most fun leveling healers, because they can duo with almost any other class while you wait for your group to show up.

SamwiseRed
12-31-2011, 09:08 PM
roll on r99, i PL you to lvl 8 mate

HorrorFK
01-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Tanks

Holey
01-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Roll a bstlrd bro

godbox
01-01-2012, 06:04 AM
thanks for the responses all. I really want to play monk but also want to play with ppl as a team and not everyone can dps lol. Didnt think about the starting from nothing with not even a little twink that really narrows it down.
how hard is it to find a group while lvling? Might nave to necro or sk first if its to hard =(

Ninja
01-01-2012, 08:11 AM
thanks for the responses all. I really want to play monk but also want to play with ppl as a team and not everyone can dps lol. Didnt think about the starting from nothing with not even a little twink that really narrows it down.
how hard is it to find a group while lvling? Might nave to necro or sk first if its to hard =(

Roll a druid.

Flunklesnarkin
01-01-2012, 09:22 AM
eq needs a waffle wizard... you could be him... please... master your magical skills and create me a waffle..

no really im hungry...

Glorindale
01-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Roll a bstlrd bro

That's so funny....I mean it is REALLY funny.

Messianic
01-01-2012, 11:04 AM
This question always comes up every few weeks, and the answer is the same - play what you want, even if it's a harder road.

Savok
01-01-2012, 11:50 AM
This question always comes up every few weeks, and the answer is the same - play what you want, even if it's a harder road.

Vondra
01-01-2012, 02:44 PM
At lev 60 you can put any class to use, since you aren't "taking up slots" really as this isn't WoW with hardcoded raid group limits.

That said, if you're looking for an enjoyable standard classic EQ leveling experience with lots of 6 man grouping en route to 60, select something other than a ranger, druid, or wizard. That's about it really.

godbox
01-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Decided on Troll SK since I love to tank and Sk was why i originally played Sk and i looooooved old troll model best race model in any mmo ever

Doril
01-01-2012, 11:24 PM
mostly needed: good tanks: so paladins, shadownknights

mostly underplayed: definitely ranger

funhorroryes
01-02-2012, 12:15 PM
rangers

webrunner5
01-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Not sure you are aware of it but there is a 68% XP penalty for a Troll SK:(

Spongeboobsquirepants
01-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Really you should just play what you enjoy most. Try out a few class/races and see which one you like the best. If you don't play something you like, you probably wont ever go end game.

jarshale
01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I think I could count the number of rangers I've seen here on one hand

Creatine
01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
When did Rangers start becoming a decent class to play? It wasn't until PoP, right?

godbox
01-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Not sure you are aware of it but there is a 68% XP penalty for a Troll SK:(

ya i remeber it was a struggle but with old model trolls (its the old char models on 1999 right?) i cant resist. I think my second choice for SK is iksar or oger any thoughts?

Might still end up going necro first at least for a little while until I can make some friends on server and make some money to get a little twink going on SK to offset the exp penalties as best I can.

godbox
01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
I would strongly advise going Necro.

Problem with a Troll SK right now is that most people you meet and play with are gonna out level you, even if you play a lot.

Trust me -- Roll a Necro to 25 or so and you'll love it. They bring a lot of utility and VERY desirable in groups. Necro heals can change the dynamic of a group entirely allowing the real healers to med up between fights.

Around level 18 you can start solo Gargoyle Island in OOT as a Necro -- They can drop up to THREE 10pp gargoyle eyes. You'll make a fortune here as a new player, and that's the just the beginning for a Necro.

Ya I ended up rolling an iksar necro yesterday as I finnaly got the game working. I am loving it so far everyone been super nice. Somone gave me a couple big druid buffs so I got to get a few lvls quick (unfortunatly i realized at the end of the buffs that I could take on reds for hella more exp lol) I had a real nice run in with the Brenan Bregnen(?) guild in east cabil under water I think they were working on an epic and they gave me tons of copper lol (and some plat) and an int cloak.

so thanks for all the imput Im necroin it up hope to see you all out there and if you see an iksar necro named delotros gime a hollar and some newbi love.

Daldaen
01-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Can we have a stickied post titled "What classes are needed the most", with text in big bolded red letters "Play what you have the most fun playing".

falkun
01-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Can we have a stickied post titled "What classes are needed the most", with text in big bolded red letters "Play what you have the most fun playing".

No, I need these posts to make Fire Giant!

bakkily
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
i havnt been on p99 in 5 months, though ill log and solo my ranger every once in awhile, but what do you rather play? i play on both servers, because i do enjoy pvp, and pve

but i say play what you want, classes that are always in demand, wars, clerics and enchanters, because these are the 3 classes that groups always need and are needed for raids end game, but of course, dps is needed as well

id say play a class you like, ive lvld two shamans to 50 on p99 already, though i enjoy the class thats what im playing on red99, so id say play what you like

fischsemmel
01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
classes that are always in demand, wars, clerics and enchanters

Everyone tells you that you can never have enough tanks, clerics, or enchanters... but even that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

In my experience over the last couple weeks leveling a cleric (1-26), it is nigh impossible to find a group except during peak times. And even during peak times I'll often find myself with lfg on, /oocing that I'm LFG, for 30+ minutes before I get any bites. 30 minutes might not be forever, but when you only have a couple hours to play per night it is a big enough chunk to be a pain in the ass.

edit - doesn't make me like playing any less, just makes me a bit depressed that I've earned more xp on my cleric by soloing than in a good group

Swollen_Beef
01-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Everyone tells you that you can never have enough tanks, clerics, or enchanters... but even that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

In my experience over the last couple weeks leveling a cleric (1-26), it is nigh impossible to find a group except during peak times. And even during peak times I'll often find myself with lfg on, /oocing that I'm LFG, for 30+ minutes before I get any bites. 30 minutes might not be forever, but when you only have a couple hours to play per night it is a big enough chunk to be a pain in the ass.

edit - doesn't make me like playing any less, just makes me a bit depressed that I've earned more xp on my cleric by soloing than in a good group

How does a cleric go so long without finding a group.
Is it a server pop issue?

Rikimeru
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
When did Rangers start becoming a decent class to play? It wasn't until PoP, right?

they are always decent if you use them right

bakkily
01-03-2012, 05:47 PM
well with kunark out, it does work out for a cleric to solo 1-50, but they're def one of em classes that'll get groups easily

Vondra
01-03-2012, 06:42 PM

Sometimes there's just more clerics than groups, sometimes there's a buncha groups lookin for a cleric...just depends who is on really.

Happens to enchanters as well.

fischsemmel
01-03-2012, 07:34 PM

Yeah it's mostly a population issue. Depending on when you tend to play there may only be 150 people online. When you consider there are 60 levels and 4 continents to spread those people across... big surprise you can't log in and instantly get a group even as a cleric or enchanter.

It's better during primetime so long as you hang out in the hot areas... crushbone, EC area, mistmoore, solb, etc.

Doublestep
01-03-2012, 07:52 PM

yeah, they were bearable in luclin when endless quiver came out but PoP brought all the firepower