PDA

View Full Version : Let's give it a true classic feel, and help each other!

Tengo
11-04-2009, 06:10 PM
One thing I have noticed about these forums that is truly missing is part of what made classic great, a community devoted to helping each other out. I warn you this post is lengthy, and will most likely cause the reader to lose multiple braincells upon completion of it. I will wrap the body of the text with a summary in bold, so for those who cannot stand my poorly written logic, read the bold and check the examples at the bottom :D

In so few words: Let us start up a helpful FAQ/Guide/Suggestion Box for the community to benefit from without countless hours of surfing the web.

Let's put our collective knowledge together to help the server as a whole, one way of doing this is in the form of guidance and advice. Now I know I personally played classic all the way until 2005ish, and recently went back for a month or so this past year and as such I have a fairly large understanding of quests, mobs, raids, etc. This does not mean I know everything there is to know and appreciate criticism greatly while playing.

Let us never forget that we also have new players to this fine game and server (Thanks again Devs, keep up the good work).The basis of my post to begin with was that we also have players who are trying new things out, breaking away from their mold on classic. I know when I started on this server I purposely did not roll either of the main classes that I played on live as I wanted to experience Norrath from a different perspective. Due to this I am by no means the be all end all guru of everything Enchanter-ly. I do, however, have a great lot of fun playing.

You have all read forums before, seen guides, read walkthroughs, not to mention just plain experienced stuff for yourself and formulated your own opinions. Why not put that knowledge to use? We can all use the way back machine, and crys dot org etc to look up classic stuff, but wouldn't it be nice to receive tips from people who have personally been down this road before?

What I am trying to get across in my insanely long winded and poorly structured discourse is that I personally have grouped up with others and offered some constructive criticism on how they were going about playing their class. I'm sure others have noticed common question and answers, why not post them all in one place?

I suppose an example would be easiest: I played a cleric on live and as such I was very familiar with the Lull line of spells for when I switched to my current Enchanter on this server. One thing I see often that is occurring within groups is the cleric is often called upon to have to lull/break camps when a low level enchanter/bard/druid is not present. Being classic we are all proud of our banded/bronze and tiny mana pools. So when a cleric has to expend mana breaking the camp, buffing, and healing....mana runs dry.

Here is an example of what I suggest often to those I am grouped with. At level 1 the Cleric receives Lull: Magic based Lull (decrease target Frenzy and Reaction Radius to 15 feet, lower aggression) mana cost: 10. At level 9, whether by some societal norm or other phenomenon the new Soothe spell is scribed and perceived as vital. Now what Soothe does is the exact same thing as Lull, but dropping the aggro radius down to 10 feet instead of 15; at a cost of triple the mana! For the levels you are using these spells, there are very few camps that you cannot break with Lull instead of Soothe, saving yourself 20 mana per cast. Play around with it, if two mobs appear to be right on top of each other, try Soothe but even that may not be enough with its 10 foot radius.

Another example: I often toss a root out at the last moment when the tank is low on health and the healer is screaming oom, thus saving said tank. What a lot of people do not seem to realize is how root works as far as hate is concerned. The mob works based off of proximity aggro, aka if it can reach you its going to hate you. So as another melee if you are the closest player in regards to the rooted mob, you will automatically receive the pleasure of a beatdown. Now this can work both ways, either step the heck away from the mob and let the casters finish it OR have the dps class engage the mob in closer proximity, allowing the tank to still damage it from standing further away. This of course gets complicated with advanced mob options at the much later levels, but for now..utilize that root!

Hopefully my rambling gets across to at least one person on these boards. I will most likely edit the heck out of this, as it was written while taking a break from writing essays for my Master's coursework and my brain is quite scrambled.
In so few words: Let us start up a helpful FAQ/Guide/Suggestion Box for the community to benefit from without countless hours of surfing the web.

President
11-04-2009, 06:16 PM
So far my experience with everyone has been extremely helpful.

Though, I think, people need to understand that the majority of the people on here are not playing the 12 hours a day they used to, and more like 2-4 hours a couple nights a week or so. And since everything takes a while in this game, people may not be gung ho about dropping what they are doing to help a random person out.

However, everyone seems pretty nice.

FatMagic
11-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I totally agree -- lets setup a Guide/FAQ/Tips section. This would be really helpful for the new and old (refreshing our memories!)

Takshaka
11-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I think it'd be great to set up some sort of Wiki. We could then collect information, tips, etc which would help save people time from using the way back machine.

Tricky Beverage
11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
NEVER help Tengo out, or he'll brand his gnome pimp-stamp on you. Then you'll be his whore forever, and never be free to live your own life. You were warnedzzzzzz!!!!1111zomfg

Cribanox
11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Eqatlas.com
Nuff said

bopice
11-09-2009, 11:12 AM
yeah the wayback machine , prima strat guide, and hearing stuff in game.

= )

eqravenprince
11-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Let people play the way they want! Let them learn their own character. Unless they ASK you for advice, just play your own char! I hate it when people think they are better, and tell me how to play.

So when your group has one healer and that healer decides to blow all his mana on nuking, you aren't going to give any advice?