PDA

View Full Version : Wizard or Mage?

medievalerror
01-06-2012, 02:11 PM
I am torn between the two. For wizards, I love the ability to port, though I played a wizard on live and soloing was a pain to say the least. Finding a group was also difficult. On the other hand, mages can solo very well, but lack porting abilities. Any suggestions? Do wizards still have trouble finding groups here on P99? Are wizards (or mages) lacking on this server? Thanks in advance for your helpful input!

Ravenlok Von`Croft, former Wizard of Prexus

Xarsith Xargosis, former Gravelord of Prexus

fischsemmel
01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
I am torn between the two. For wizards, I love the ability to port, though I played a wizard on live and soloing was a pain to say the least. Finding a group was also difficult. On the other hand, mages can solo very well, but lack porting abilities. Any suggestions? Do wizards still have trouble finding groups here on P99? Are wizards (or mages) lacking on this server? Thanks in advance for your helpful input!

By wizard soloing being a pain, I assume you mean they have a lot of downtime, right? But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Between easy kills/quads you can get other stuff done... read, browse the web, do crap around the house, etc.

Mage solo isn't like it was a year ago. The pets are climbing in your windows, stealing your xp up.

Xp groups will be more excited about a mage than a wizard most likely, but it looks like all the raid guilds have "high" priority for recruiting wizards.

Raavak
01-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Wizards have great spike dps, great for killing boss mobs, but the med time makes their dps poorer when it comes to exp grind and its harder to get groups. If it wasn't for evac we'd probably get none. Your best exp will be soloing (quad kiting).

Mages put out dps when not even casting which makes them exp group friendly, and solo effectively, though they've been nerfed exp-wise. Useful on raids more as a utility class.

medievalerror
01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I guess among my major concerns is leveling up quickly. I do not get much time to play (maybe 5 hours/week) and would prefer a class that levels more quickly. In that case, perhaps mage is the way to go?

fischsemmel
01-06-2012, 04:49 PM
I guess among my major concerns is leveling up quickly. I do not get much time to play (maybe 5 hours/week) and would prefer a class that levels more quickly. In that case, perhaps mage is the way to go?

I haven't played a mage on here, but it's my understanding that the strategy that allowed mages to zip through levels on here in the past (chain summoning fire pets while using a level 1 nuke to get full xp) does not work anymore.

Now you have to do over 50% damage to each monster you fight or else your pet steals a very significant amount of the xp (half? maybe up to three-quarters?). This, coupled with the fact that mage pets can't hold aggro if you out damage them, means... well I would probably be super pissed off. But again, I'm not a mage.

eqravenprince
01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Wizards are the last class I would want in a group. Magicians have a pet and a nice damage shield. But if you aren't 100% on those 2 classes, I would recommend a Monk. They solo great and are always welcomed into a group.

medievalerror
01-06-2012, 06:06 PM
So then I guess my second question would be addressed to those who play/ed wizards on P99: How much trouble do you have finding a group? I would think with their DPS, they would be highly sought after by groups...

fischsemmel
01-06-2012, 07:00 PM
wizards . . . I would think with their DPS, they would be highly sought after by groups...

Wizards have excellent short-term DPS. No one can top the damage they can pump out over the course of 30 or 60 seconds.

Experience groups want classes who have excellent long-term DPS though... aka melee or pet classes.

Hamahakki
01-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Really, if you are only playing 5 hours a week, you should play a class which can solo well.

Mage would be much better than Wizard, and Necro would be much better still.

inyane
01-06-2012, 07:38 PM
wizards are always my last choice, and really, i'd rather just leave the spot open.

sure, they nuke hard for 2 mobs, then sit and med for the next 10. give me some melee dps anytime, for exp grinds

meh

Estu
01-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Don't play a wizard. Very boring class. If you want to port and quad-kite, go druid instead.

Messianic
01-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Don't play a wizard. Very boring class. If you want to port and quad-kite, go druid instead.

As a wizard, this.

Druids also have charm soloing ability. Very effective in the right places.

mcy
01-07-2012, 01:31 AM

Most people will say magician its a very noob friendly class and if you are a casual player I suggest this as well. I will admit wizards don't get groups outside of AE'ing but fortunately, wizards that know what they are doing don't give a rats ass. Most quad kiting is better xp anyway. If you are a power gamer wizards play a vital role in the success of top tier guilds by being able to get to god/dragon mobs fast and drop the big bomb while magicians sit in the corner pumping out mod rods.

Acillatem
01-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Make friends. Then nobody gives a rats ass if yer a WIZ or not. Worked for me on Live and P99 and although I did some soloing on Live, I never soloed on P99 once I hit level 10. With the ability to stun, evac, and an efficient variety of nukes as well as the "big booms" for spike DPS, a well played WIZ brings a lot to the table.

webrunner5
01-07-2012, 02:40 PM
A Ranger ,Wizzy, and a Druid in that order are the least wanted people in a group on P1999 higher up. If you want to solo play a Necro or a Shaman. Druids are good but just way too much downtime.

Jinkeybhoy
01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Well mages can't solo either anymore so if you're looking for a good solo class... Choose something else.

clacbec
01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
WIzard on long term is total pleasure.

dont listen to the guys who never played a wiz as main.

Atmas
01-08-2012, 05:32 PM
WIzard isn't for everyone and with the exception of evac isn't as tank and spank group friendly as a mage.

However, quadding is better xp than grouping and affords you the time to go afk and do other rl stuff. Also porting yourself whenever is highly convienent and sorely missed when you are playing on a toon that can't do it.

Depending on your long term goals, specifically if you plan to raid Wiizards are generally a highly sought class. They are good at burst damage and stack well.

Most importantly just play what you like.