PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Shaman, Need advice.

Vidar
01-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Hello everyone, Im going to start a Shaman. I have roughly 1600p saved up and i heard that the poison wind censer was a great weapon to twink with. So i thought i would buy that and get some banded armor to start my shammy. Id probably have to save up for a tad longer to afford that but still.

On the other hand i could use the money to just buy lower lvl gear and twink him that way.

Also, what kind of 1hb or piercing weapons would be good to twink with? dmg wise? or a cheaper 2hb for that matter.

So, to alll you shamans out there, i need your opinion. Should i spend the money on one great weapon or use it to buy several lesser items? What would be my best bet?

Galelor
01-06-2012, 06:41 PM
honestly, a shaman is pretty effective ungeared for a while... with 1.6k to spend, I would suggest not spending too much time thinking about a weapon. If you can find a decent 2hb, you may get some good damage out of it, but after level 10ish (until your slow and regen are better, you will not be doing a ton of tanking while soloing... Root rot is more effective.)

Worry about having money some HP/AC gear and for spells. You will thank me when you get Canni and Regen.

Muchew
01-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I used banded and a club until level 33.... Then I sat around Kith / HP and got a tainted morning star rot + the retarded easy quest Testament of Vanear for offhand.

Shamans don't need gear to grind!

but anyways, it seems like your question is should you get the best weapon or get a few weapons just so you can skill up 1hb/2hb/pierce... Which seems like a waste to me. I've heard good things about the censer, I'd just grab one of those.

Extunarian
01-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Get a poison wind censor. You'll zoom through those annoying low levels. You can always sell it when you don't think you can melee efficiently anymore.

Wotsirb401
01-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Make a verbal commitment to VD and we might supply you a PWS =)

phobus
01-06-2012, 09:46 PM
My Shaman is 23 now. The Censer is great post-20, and just okay before then. Pre-20, I believe my highest hit was for around 34. Now, the highest hit I have recorded is more like 54 and I consistently hit for 40+.

If you know you're going to buy one, you may as well get it from the start rather than buying something cheaper for the interim that'll do roughly the same DPS under the damage cap. Spend the rest on a pair of 55hp rings and save whatever is left over for spells and a set of banded.

Vidar
01-07-2012, 05:39 AM
What i meant was should i spend the money on 1 good weapon or spend it on some lower lvl wis/ac gear.

bizzum
01-07-2012, 05:50 AM
Buy HP rings and cannabalize

phobus
01-07-2012, 09:37 AM
WIS doesn't do all that much for a Shaman, especially at the lower levels where you get very little mana in return for each point of wisdom. I think you'll get the most use out of a good weapon and whatever cheap AC/hp gear you can buy with the rest of your money.