PDA

View Full Version : Best DPS in PoP era

Omnimorph
04-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Just having a discussion with someone about who was the best dps in PoP era. I remember rangers being stupidly OP with AM3 and EQ, hitting for 1400s or so with a bow, not even counting in TS. Were they the best?

Or were rogues, wizards the best?

Jify
04-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Memory wants me to say...

Necros, Mages & Pets for sustained DPS over LONG raid battles
Wizards for the short term battles
Rangers & Rogues all around (less DPS over short term, but constant sustained DPS)

spoolie
04-19-2010, 08:38 AM
to bad we wont see any manaburn squads running around on this server heh. always a blast to see 6 wizard/necros run in and down gorenaire and talendar.

but on topic jify is pretty spot on for the most part. espically when you start talking elemental+time weapons. But one thing that was always hush hush was necros DOTs. no way to really track them, but damn i know they had some good dps with them.

calaxa
04-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Memory wants me to say...

Necros, Mages & Pets for sustained DPS over LONG raid battles
Wizards for the short term battles
Rangers & Rogues all around (less DPS over short term, but constant sustained DPS)

Think Jify is spot on as well.

I would add these elements:

Over a very long battle, necro & mage (assuming they have pets in use) have the best sustained DPS with necro having advantage since they produce mana faster and their dots.
Rogue DPS is more than Rangers (assuming equal AA's). Beastlords may actually be in this category too as their pet can do significant damage and their own melee skills are not bad.
Wizards can burn down a mob fast so if fight is short, it will be enormous dps.

Enchanter in theory can own all of these if they are willing to risk charming a high level pet. Obviously, mage and necro can also charm certain mobs (provided they have the AA).

President
04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
EDIT* I can't fucking read, did not think this would be about PoP... Only was considering up to Velious.

I always thought Rogue's at level 60 had hands down the best sustained dps in raid settings due to not having to worry about mana. One of my rogue friends from back in Kunark pretty much WAS the KS group in the guild, and sometimes when he was late for a raid before getting in a group he would get the kills by himself.

Aside from AE groups I always remember my best groups in Sebilis being warrior/cleric/enc and filled it out with rogues/monks. It could have been gear dependent but back in the day I don't think I would ever have taken a mage/necro over a rog/monk or rog/rog if I was in Sebilis.

Zexa
04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't remember necros being good raid DPS until they changed dot stacking. By the time PoP came out raid encounters varied so much I think it's hard to say who's the best DPS without qualifying it in some way.

guineapig
04-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Agreed, anyone that relied on dots for DPS on raids would basically have to pick something that nobody else was using unless they were stackable.