PDA

View Full Version : what ruined LIVE the MOST for you

funhorroryes
01-14-2012, 10:29 AM
i have been speaking to alot of people lately and i want to charter up out of curiosity just what made your nostalgia storm end.

for example i know that i tend to disregard any screenshots taken from luclin models

Messianic
01-14-2012, 10:38 AM
College made EQ obsolete

DOPE
01-14-2012, 10:48 AM
LDoN, gems, population drop due to the release of WoW

maahes
01-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Option 1: Luclin models are great!
Option 2: Armor dye??? Seriously? Why do people have so many issues with cosmetics.
Option 3: This one also boggles the mind... this is why I play EQ. FOR THE PHATS.
Option 4: There is nothing like zoning into a new zone for the first time. (except maybe when a new PHAT drops for the guild)

Didn't vote because none of the options above are valid. The reason I quit was for things like when Necors had BPs that had 500 HPs on them. The inflation of the gear just got to far out of scope for me.

Versus
01-14-2012, 10:59 AM
College made EQ obsolete

QFT

kaev
01-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Poll is so middle-school. People need to stop looking for excuses and targets to blame. The players ruined EQ, SoE just took our money and watched and smiled. Sylvester McMonkey McBean woulda been so proud.

Barkingturtle
01-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Poll options are bad.

Live was ruined with instancing and the automation of the economy via the bazaar. "Features" which removed the need for players to interact, which in turn created the WoW Mentality, Hurricane Katrina and finally, Jersey Shore.

fischsemmel
01-14-2012, 12:07 PM
I dont think any of those 4 choices totally captures what went "wrong" with live for me... but the closest of them is definitely the "old zones empty/obsolete."

Aicha
01-14-2012, 12:08 PM
LOL A near-divorce and a pregnancy made EQ obsolete for me. That said, those Luclin models were ass-ugly. Skinny trolls? Really?

funhorroryes
01-14-2012, 12:11 PM
god damnit out of the 4 options i said to choose which is the biggest one

fischsemmel
01-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Poll options are bad.

Live was ruined with instancing and the automation of the economy via the bazaar. "Features" which removed the need for players to interact, which in turn created the WoW Mentality, Hurricane Katrina and finally, Jersey Shore.

Bazaar wasn't, I don't think, nearly as much of a problem as the spreading of players so thin across so many zones (and instances, and maybe even levels/AAs).

Yeah bazaar removed some player interaction by automating the economy. But it's not like the majority of players spent more than a minimal amount of time sitting in gfay/ec/nfp/whatever auctioning. And it's not like that is real interaction... 90% afk while hitting an auction macro and skimming chat every few minutes.

The same thing that makes p1999 not quite perfect is what made EQ suck for me. As people spread thin across zones and levels, grouping became harder for new players or alts. This led to people tending to play more solo-friendly classes, which were both less desired by groups generally AND the people were less likely to join groups with. Then some of the people who didn't want to play a necro or mage or quadding wiz/dru or whatever quit. Then that contributed more to what caused this in the first place... too few people spread across too many zones/levels.

No one, NO ONE, starts up new i EQ live nowadays and sticks with it. Why? Because you are 100 levels and 4000 AA and a shitload of gear with XX to every stat and resist and XXXX to hp and mana and two passive effects and a clicky on every piece away from hanging with everyone else. And there are literally hundreds of places to level up, but almost no one doing so.

EQ is, as everyone and their brother knows, a social game. And as the game grew up and out while losing population, it became harder and harder for the vast, vast majority of players to be social at all.

funhorroryes
01-14-2012, 12:27 PM
actually leveling is pretty fast in EQ live now and you can go from level 1 to 90 in like 3 weeks and then straight raiding

AAs might take awhile though

liveitup1216
01-14-2012, 01:02 PM
1) Luclin Models - were awful but could be turned off, bad poll option.

2) Armor Dye - another stupid idea since having a set of matching armor was a status, not game ruining for me but still a horrible change.

3) Armor becoming obsolete after each expansion - that had always been the design, what other carrot could you possibly have to chase after?

4) more zones making older zones empty or obsolete - somewhat but not really, if they never had plane books old zones would still since people would be more inclined to stay put.

Pomaikai
01-14-2012, 05:44 PM
My wife getting pregnant is what made me stop playing EQ Live. Nothing "ruined" it for me. I was in one of the top guilds on the server and was having a blast enjoying end game content! But real life was more important than a game was. Even one I really enjoyed playing. It just took too much time and attention that I needed to focus elsewhere. So I sold my Cleric and bought a nice new HDTV for all of us to enjoy with the proceeds. I left happy and content.

Airdefier
01-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Poll options are bad.

haha

Edrick
01-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Being perma-LFG ruined EQ for me. I remember being so excited when our guild killed Rallos and we got elemental flagged. Then nobody wanted to group in the elemental planes.

Daldaen
01-14-2012, 09:06 PM
The LFG game died in EQ long long ago... but, that being said. I can't remember the last good PuG I've been in. Most of them are just terribad.

Flunklesnarkin
01-14-2012, 09:52 PM
The LFG game died in EQ long long ago... but, that being said. I can't remember the last good PuG I've been in. Most of them are just terribad.

I think its mostly your expectations that have changed over time... you understand the game and its mechanics better and expect certain things from your group partners.

There is still fun to be had with underskilled / undergeared players (who might be of the wrong race / class combination for max exp) but it really comes down to the personalities of the people.

If you only exp max exp a lot of groups will be bad... few people ever get the perfect exp group..

but if you just want fun and a bit of exp.. most groups can deliver that.

Orruar
01-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Mercenaries really killed it for me. When I logged up 3 toons one night, whipped out 2 tank and a cleric merc, then gained 3aa by the time I woke up, I was done with EQ.

Anyone who quit before DoDh really missed out on the pinnacle of EQ (for both grouping and raiding).

webrunner5
01-15-2012, 01:15 PM
The last 2 expansions EQ live has had is just WAY to hard to solo in. Even the Noob zones. They force you to box or group which I guess is not a bad thing overall. But I have always liked to solo.

Nirgon
01-15-2012, 02:27 PM
The no PvP in raid zones rule GM Ozuri put in place

luwkwul
01-19-2012, 08:08 PM
It was cool to progress with the game, but the old zones becoming obsolete was somewhat depressing. If there was some reason to go back to Kelethin or one of the starting cities it would have been cool. It's a catch 22 though because everyone got bored with the existing zones, so they had to expand.

The biggest turnoff were the huge disparities between classes in PVP (i played on Rallos). Warriors had very little chance of being effective in PVP, so there was little point besides raid progression on a PVP server. Bugs are going to happen and I never made that big of deal out of them. I used to zone back to PoK and reset my manaburn on my wiz :) Manaburning Sadko every hour was probably the highlight of EQ for me.

Grozmok
01-19-2012, 08:47 PM
In order of belief:

More zones making older zones empty or obsolete
<label for="rb_optionnumber_3">Armor becoming obsolete after each expansion</label>
Luclin Models (Trolls mostly, humans, elves and ogres were decent)

mala
01-19-2012, 09:02 PM
luclin, everything about it

Kika Maslyaka
01-19-2012, 09:57 PM
poll options are VERY limited and hardly critical. There were far greater issues with EQ than armor dye. (even thought I found them stupid as they remove the desire to obtain full sets for both prestige and esthetic purposes)

My list would include:

1. Faction-less city-hubs (SH, PoK)
2. Instant travel-hub (PoK specifically - Luclin spires were mostly OK)
3. Ghosting out of old zones due to low end zones in newer expansion having better rewards/XP mods
4. Poorly designed general itemization and balance of quest rewards from the beginning
5. Very limited raiding options (only 3 actual raid target in original game, but this eventually got better with Velious and beyond)
6. Poorly balanced classes (like insanely overpowered necros) and hideous XP penalties for classes who were hardly overpowered to begin with
7. Ultra Poor game maintenance (quests that went broken for years, refusal to recognized common glitches and bugs etc)

I consider all of these to be all equally significant, as no single shortcoming alone would cause immediate decline, if not for other 6.

Grozmok
01-19-2012, 10:09 PM
I hate that dye completely removed the ability to instantly identify a unique piece.

Everyone was running around dressed in all black, it was retarded.