PDA

View Full Version : Legit Reasons to why you don't play Red99 (This is not a RNF Topic)

visage
01-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Discuss.,

fischsemmel
01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't want to PvP in EQ.

falkun
01-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Don't have the free time to dedicate to another character/server/game.

MelxDruid
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM

This.

Nedala
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
population is too low for my taste, i like packed servers.

Also red pvp community reminds me of WoW community.

Extunarian
01-19-2012, 08:27 AM

still only 58 on blue :(

nerfed
01-19-2012, 08:38 AM
because everyone gates when I zone in.

Twoberries
01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
population is too low for my taste, i like packed servers.

Also red pvp community reminds me of WoW community.

^^^

LordFresh
01-19-2012, 08:57 AM
leveling is ungodly slow - but really thats ok. Spells that were broken and never fixed - but that was not really the clincher. What it came down to were the kids that would kill you and not allow you to get your corpse, and send you 100 tells about how your awful you lost a 3v1. The community is the real reason i dont play.. and the cherry on top was the population is retardedly low.

webrunner5
01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
I guess maybe I am a puss lol. I played it for a few weeks. I just don't like the idea that 5 people can gang up on you and a level 50 Cleric can be off on the side healing the 5 that ganked you. How fair is that at like level 6??

I can see one on one. Ok he killed me and if I get some better gear I maybe can kill him later. But to have a whole Guild killing one person. Its just stupid.

By the way I have played EQ since 2000 and have never stopped even on live. But it was the first time I ever played PvP. SO I guess I don't get it lol. I got so mad on Red at times I wanted to find out where the real person lived and go and kick his ass lol. Not good. I'll pass for now.

Drfishback
01-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Back in their prime the Zeks had upwards of 1k on and you had some good folks mixed in with the poopsock/exploitz crew. Now nearly all that remains is the bad. :(

arsenalpow
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Going to preface this with that I played on Sullon Zek from the beginning to just after PoP so I love me some EQ pvp

Low population

Resist checks are completely broken (whirl till you hurl is legitimately good?? Really???)

Not enough guides/GMs to enforce the ruleset and catch the exploiters

The majority troll rule (at least on SZ the population was pretty big so you could drown out the trolls, this server is 200max so the 50 or so trolls are a large and vocal portion of the community and one can only take so many "U MAD BRAH?? BRO U MAD?? CONFIRMED MAD" tells)

fischsemmel
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
I think the issue with a shitty (relatively speaking) community on EQ PvP servers is that EQ isn't a PvP game.

I'm not talking about that in the sense of "well EQ isn't balanced for PvP so its PvP is no good" ... I'm talking about it in the sense of "EQ attracts a certain kind of player in general, and a disproportionate number of EQ players who gravitate towards an EQ PvP server are messed up little people."

I guarantee there is more per-capita griefing (and general annoyingness of oh, so many people) on any of the PvP EQ servers than there is in any of the MMOs that focused on PvP (Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, Eve, etc).

eqravenprince
01-19-2012, 10:02 AM
No desire to play against other players, too stressful, I already have enough stress outside of gaming.

Savok
01-19-2012, 10:09 AM
No desire to play against other players, too stressful, I already have enough stress outside of gaming.

SCB
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't pedal a bike with my hands, and I don't PvP in a PvE game.

If I want to PvP, I've always got SWTOR or LoL.

Acillatem
01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
1) Don't have the time
2) I played on Tallon Zek from Classic to OoW (or GoD can't remember) and can already tell the community on Red99 is picking up where I felt the community on Live was dropping off. Which isn't a jab at anyone - it's just my personal preference was centered more towards respected and spirited competition. And the "respected and spirited" eventually got replaced with a "do as I please" and "I will fuk you over" attitude. Anyone who played on TZ saw the change. Classic we had Player based events (ie the Freeport/Neriak wars every Friday night). People played and people fought becuz it was fun. And then it became "People griefed, and people talked shit" becuz it's fun. Just turned into a diff server that I no longer enjoyed.

Nizzarr
01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
I dont play on red because theres no variance there, and I like variance.

I also hate how I can play the game instead of sitting my characters at dragon spawn point and waiting for my phone to ring.

I hate having to kill lenfer over and over!

I hate camping manastones and guises for my alts -- im really not looking forward to gear those characters in lustrous russet.

tekniq
01-19-2012, 10:58 AM
I was pretty active on RED, grinded 1-50 with my buddies and PvP is a lot of fun and a different experience on blue.

First, I enjoyed it and got hooked because it was harder. No AFKing, hiding in random spots to med, always checking who's in zone, etc...this was refreshing.

I honestly stopped because there's really nothing to do after 50...PvPing is always fun, but after a while I feel like I justed wasted an hour and a half of my life trying to fight some fool who keeps running away. I mean theres two raid targets, and I personally don't want to join Holocaust/Nihilum for my personal reasons. No Planes yet, No Sol Ro...what else is there to do besides farm a guise/manastone.

Rusl
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
No Planes yet, No Sol Ro...what else is there to do besides farm a guise/manastone.

Exploit dragons?

maahes
01-19-2012, 11:46 AM
In order for PvP to work in a game PvP needs to be considered from the first moment the classes are being designed. When the classes are being balanced, PvP must be weighted in from the very start. In EQ's case the trio were playing UO and all felt that PvP should not be part of EQ. They absolutely hated the PvP mechanics of UO. (which I LOVED).

bluejam
01-19-2012, 12:07 PM
No desire to play against other players in EQ, too stressful, I already have enough stress outside of gaming.
added something.

+ borderline retarded people playing
+ lack of time

Barkingturtle
01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
I considered playing Red99 but then I realized I'm neither racist nor homophobic, I read and write English fluently, have a triple-digit IQ and I don't live with my parents. It just seemed like I wouldn't fit in.

Honestly that's not a flame. I just got the impression from reading the "community's" posts over the past year or so that they were not my kind of folks.

Zallar
01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
The reality of the server vs the reality of the forum is really different. The majority of people you meet on red are decent folks. Don't let the forum trolls make the decision for you.

Phallax
01-19-2012, 05:37 PM
cuz EQ pvp = lol

mwatt
01-19-2012, 05:39 PM
1. I don't like PVP in general.
2. I particularly don't like PVP in EQ.
3. I don't like the kind of community that a PVP server engenders.

valkabo
01-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Its the maturity of the server. Not the population, or the 'barrens chat' style that some people say are there. Its the overall maturity of everything, the high levels, the groups, etc etc. Its hard for me to dedicate the time into a server when I can't be 100% sure there is a solid end game for me.

mala
01-19-2012, 07:33 PM
i was VERY excited to play on red when it was announced, even did the beta for weeks. sadly the population is just disgusting, everyone i met usually went out of their way to try to screw people over 90% of the time. with EQ being such a socially dependent game, i just couldnt hang.

The type of person to play a pvp server is usually a bit more of a dickhead then the rest, but the people who play a pvp server to a 10+ year old game are the cream of the dickhead crop.

EverquestJunkie
01-19-2012, 07:36 PM
The type of person to play a pvp server is usually a bit more of a dickhead then the rest, but the people who play a pvp server to a 10+ year old game are the cream of the dickhead crop.

Im starting to like this guy =-D

Rikimeru
01-19-2012, 07:38 PM
i was VERY excited to play on red when it was announced, even did the beta for weeks. sadly the population is just disgusting, everyone i met usually went out of their way to try to screw people over 90% of the time. with EQ being such a socially dependent game, i just couldnt hang.

or you could realize that this is just a game and the world isn't going to end just because some "dickhead" beats you in pvp.

Autotune
01-19-2012, 07:41 PM
cuz EQ pvp = lol

Greenkrak
01-19-2012, 07:47 PM
lot of bluebie pussies here....

eq pvp = way more fun

slaying mindless mobs for pixels with no competition = lol
waiting your turn in line for a spawn = lol

red server actually requires u to make friends and build connections; and survive.

u bluebies are just unsocial

Aprio
01-19-2012, 08:01 PM

This is why I stay off R99

Dravingar
01-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Part R99 forum goers/half the server exploiting and part not wanting to level up to max level again as an untwinked/geared character.

Grozmok
01-19-2012, 08:48 PM
In an item centric game I don't want people being able to ass rape me and take my items.

/thread

eq pvp = way more fun

slaying mindless mobs for pixels with no competition = lol
waiting your turn in line for a spawn = lol

red server actually requires u to make friends and build connections; and survive.

u bluebies are just unsocial

I lol'd

Barkingturtle
01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
In an item centric game I don't want people being able to ass rape me and take my items.

Would you feel different about the sodomy if your items were safe?

Toehammer
01-19-2012, 08:57 PM
I got a mage up to 22 on red. The first week was SOOOOO much fun with all the people and low level PvP. However, guards not assisting cut the server pop almost in half in a week due to in-town/bank griefing. Then it got boring fast. Was like level 16 after a week or so... then just slowly stopped playing. Also, the massive exploiting left a stink on the server.

3 big problems with red:
1) low population due to first week bugs and exploits
2) high percentage of griefers
3) slow exp rate... (although this wouldn't be a problem with a higher population and more groups)

these three are also intimately tied...
1) happened because of 2) and 3)
2) happened because 1) increases the percentage of losers (griefers) sticking around and also because 3) makes people with lives (aka people without time to grief) quit
3) well... that is just what it is! although 1) means groups are scarce, 2) means people try to pk/train you for fun and that makes 3) even slower!

Basically, if guard assist were fixed first night, and exp rate was ~double for levels 1-30, population of casuals (with real lives) would kick up, griefer percentage would drop due to influx of cool players... problem solved.

Also, the forums don't help... run by morons like cast/lovely and... their retard followers! More concerned with "you mad bra" "big plays" and "winning the server" than developing a cool PvP community.

I actually liked levels 1-20 on red more than on blue, and more than back in 1998-1999... but now it is a desolate wasteland. Maybe I am dramatic... it could have been AWESOME though. Now it is just meh.

mala
01-19-2012, 08:59 PM
or you could realize that this is just a game and the world isn't going to end just because some "dickhead" beats you in pvp.

lol i can handle getting my ass handed to me, even once or so an hour. getting killed over and over by the same guy while trying to CR gets old tho. getting snared just for the shits of it, and not being engaged is even better... but having someone follow you just to snare you over and over... com'on now.

Flunklesnarkin
01-19-2012, 09:02 PM
most mmo pvp is retarded in general.

90% gear 10% skill

and everybody knows for statistics to be taken seriously you have to have a chart and data.

so here

http://i39.tinypic.com/2s02238.jpg

Greenkrak
01-19-2012, 09:59 PM
most mmo pvp is retarded in general.

90% gear 10% skill

dude.... classic gear is so shitty it really doesnt make a difference - mr gear is easily accessible to even the most casual of players

resists are so outta wack nothin else really matters.

id say like 20%gear 80% skill

Grozmok
01-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Would you feel different about the sodomy if your items were safe?

I think it would help.

Really though, I don't think I have the energy/skills/time to be an effective PvP gamer in an MMO anymore. If you're not the wolf, you're the sheep.

I get most of my enjoyment from environmental challenges, roleplaying, character progression and item acquisition.

:rolleyes:

veto
01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Too many bugs, people took advantage of them and then got them fixed so others were behind.

Too much time to level, have fulltime courseload and 1.5hr commute to campus..

Seems GM's can be a bit ban happy (holocaust) and would hate to commit that time to get banned over some dragon bug that another guild used way before and had no consequence..

Oh yah.. xp takes too long thus population plummeting. pet pvp damage is 50% too. I enjoyed beta a lot, mainly for the xp rate because that server is more fun at end game to me: i left blue cause of the raid target politics and cant do anything if GM wasnt there, figured pvp would solve that

Lulz Sect
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Z9jhD.jpg

Grozmok
01-20-2012, 02:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/nholmes/prelude/c2a51485.jpg

eqravenprince
01-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Pvp is only fun when all things are equal skill and gear and I have the energy to play. Most days I get off work, I am tired, and I want predictability in my game. Maybe I am a pussy, whatever, I like pussy.

Morsakin
01-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Because the only time I ever pvp'ed in EQ it was boring as shit.

Xanthias
01-20-2012, 03:05 PM
The only reason PvP would ever make sense to me is if I killed someone I took a faction hit for doing so.
If I kill a fellow wood elf I should start getting funny looks in Kelethin and eventually be kos.
Never saw the point of it otherwise

Farrakhan
01-20-2012, 03:30 PM
I wanted to play PvP, as I usually play PvP in most other MMOs, but the population on the red server is a problem. Plus, I'm just starting Project 1999, and when I join a PvP community I like to be there from the beginning to participate in the "race to supremacy".

messiah_b
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
For me EQ pvp peaked between 6 and 8 hours after the release of the first team pvp server on live. It has been in steady decline since.

LizardNecro
01-20-2012, 04:01 PM
For me its because FFA pvp is too chaotic. I liked SZ where you had people you knew you could group with.