PDA

View Full Version : State of the Economy: Ingame

Dekrastius
01-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Had to throw in the Ingame, or 90% of the people wouldn't look at this post.

Anyone out there think that being how long the server has been up, the prices for items are still obscene? I'm having a hard time believing I'll get to see anything decent in my time playing... Which isn't the sole reason for playing, but at some point everyone expects some level of ability through increased equipment factors.

So, I may just be spitting into the wind on this one... but this cannot create the same feel as Everquest Classic due to the lack of players causing a major disadvantage to proper economy of scale.

CoF sells for a ridiculous price I wont even mention... to be clear, I played EQ for 6 years on live (99-07 * with small breaks) and I never obtained that much on a healthy economy - I have a valid point to assume I'll never get there in here...

Anyone else come to the light of this?

aerokella
01-21-2012, 07:06 PM
people like to hoard plat to sell it to other players via rmt

/coughcough

cameroncoolcarter
01-21-2012, 07:14 PM
lol and there are no money sinks like horses and shit, so people just stock up and stock up and stock up.
i mean yeah this IS Classic EQ,
but people know all the shit people didnt know back then.
there are people who have 1,000,000 pp in their bank, haha
i remember bakc in live when if someone had 100,000 people thought they were hackin.

Splorf22
01-21-2012, 07:29 PM
All of the "normal" items i.e. the ones you can get with 1 group are very reasonably priced. The ones that are insanely expensive are the god/dragon loot things which obviously are pretty rare. If you want a cloak of flames, join a guild that kills dragons.

Daldaen
01-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Yep basically no money sinks is the issue.

Tinker Bags are about the only one... and they aren't that great of one.

IMO Add Guise to a merchant for 100k or 500k :P. Or something else that is 'fluff' so to speak, IE not ingame power just something fun/cool. That'd be a nice way of eatting up peoples platinum.

cmdrrickhunter
01-21-2012, 07:45 PM
The issue of a moneysink was always an issue in live. The only difference is that players are smarter now than they were on live, so the issue shows itself faster.

You don't want a high-price moneysink that you buy once to solve this problem. You want things that have upkeep costs. That will yield a system with enough negative feedback to be stable.

Kika Maslyaka
01-21-2012, 08:03 PM
armor repairs after death in eq2 and wow were good money sinks, but its not something you can implement on this server without breaking the "classic"

another good money sink in eq2 was the food - it wasn't the stupid stat food that would just in sit on your 1st slot forever (if you keep force feeding yourself with 4 copper muffins) - it was the kind a food that would give you a stat buff/effect only AFTER you eat it for about 15min. This means you had a reason to actually obtain these good foods and constantly consume them

npruitt68
01-21-2012, 08:23 PM
When it's so easy to make plat on this server, I have no issue with prices as they are. I've been playing a few weeks on here, have a 28 bard, and over 2K plat. NEVER would've happened on live. I remember scraping just to have enough money to buy songs and food on live.

cmdrrickhunter
01-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Just an odd idea, what do you guys think of food that prevents EXP loss on death?

The trick to moneysinks is to find something that makes the game more fun (or makes the game hurt less), but isn't necessary to survive.

The first step to _ANY_ moneysink would be to get buyin from the devs. It is THEIR game, after all, and no deviation from live is acceptable until they buy in. The argument would have to be made that the current economic situation is NOT what it was on live, and that an alteration to the game balance yields a more palatable version of "not quite what it was on live."

baub
01-21-2012, 08:56 PM
IMO Add Guise to a merchant for 100k or 500k :P.

NOT CLASSIC

but i'd fap to that

aerokella
01-21-2012, 08:58 PM
not classic rogean doesnt give a fuck /thread move on

Grozmok
01-21-2012, 09:05 PM
If people aren't buying things at insane prices, what's keeping them inflated?

fischsemmel
01-21-2012, 09:14 PM
CoF sells for a ridiculous price I wont even mention... [and I'm upset because I'll never be able to afford one!]

This isn't WoW. You don't get to buy a piece of top-tier gear just because you spent a few hours farming herbs and then threw them on the auction house.

Selly
01-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Basically raiding guilds have the market cornered and there is no plat sink so they can charge whatever they want.

And for people who have been 60 for a year + plat adds up fairly quickly

funhorroryes
01-22-2012, 10:51 AM
it is far more easier to camp the loots then to farm the plat for them

Faywind
01-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Basically raiding guilds have the market cornered and there is no plat sink so they can charge whatever they want.

And for people who have been 60 for a year + plat adds up fairly quickly

Nobody has been 60 for a year + on this server... :p

Fazlazen
01-22-2012, 11:56 AM
I support the Guise of the deceiver idea.

Grozmok
01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
^

That's really sad, hyperinflation is completely screwing new players - including myself.

I guess I'll have to suck it out with mediocre items at best until I camp enough "decent" items I can resell to get my own wheelbarrow of EverQuest Rubles.

:rolleyes:

Fianna
01-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Oh wow. What a sad post by Uthgaard.

Makes me a bit discouraged as as a new player, that the server is flooded with duped isk :(

Barkingturtle
01-22-2012, 02:25 PM
I find billions of duped plat pretty tough to believe.

Just as an observer who's been on the server for nearly its entire life and has been active in the tunnel that entire time I haven't seen the dramatic swings which would be caused by billions of plat entering the economy. We don't see items sold for over a million basically ever, and prices aren't too far off what I remember from live during about Luclin era, pre-bazaar.

I don't know, though. I'm just a dude who has played the tunnel to the tune of 100k while never leveling a character past 40. I admit I don't have the same insider knowledge of a dude who was evidently forced off the server against his will and seems kinda bitter about it, but anecdotaly I just don't see that rampant a problem.

It's a two-way street, in any event. Perhaps there are billions of duped plats, but that just means you're better off farming items to sell than farming vendor drops. I mean, inflation only really hurts if you remain solely a consumer, forever.

Doors
01-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Even if the servers flooded with duped plat which it probably is, that doesn't make it harder for the newbies to aquire money it just makes it easier. Be smart about buying and selling shit. There are a hundred different smart ways to make money and no, farming hill giants isn't one of them.

Barkingturtle
01-22-2012, 03:31 PM
And it was never removed?

Like I said: I just don't really see it in game. I understand that as a new player seeing prices in excess of 100k is scary, but that's the way it was on live, too. I distinctly remember selling my first fungi tunic early in Luclin for 90k.

Items like CoF and other various dragon loots on this server are inflated due to the raid scene, in my opinion. The monopolization of content on this server is far more pronounced than anything I experienced back in the day.

Barkingturtle
01-22-2012, 03:54 PM
If you'd read my earlier post before jumping to conclusions and hurling insults at possibly the only person on the server who has ever given you any respect at all, which is still more respect than is due, you would have observed that no, it wasn't all removed. Once it is spent, it's impossible to undo. As I said, this went on for months, and it was as simple as cancelling a trades on a laggy connection. The simpler a dupe, the more rampant and harder to keep up with.

Are you insulted by my observation that your feelings were hurt by your unplanned exorcism from P99? Because that wasn't an insult. Maybe I missed where I called you a person unworthy of respect or something.

If it was irrelevant, you wouldn't have come crying to me over the 6 bags of gear you dropped on the ground that I kindly restored for you. After all, you only would have cried those tears if you were going to be a consumer forever.

Well thanks for invalidating everything I'll read from you from now on. I've been wondering if the things you say are accurate, but the manner in which you've chosen to portray our lone customer service interaction is enough to tell me you're just pretty butthurt about how your tenure ended around here, and you're merely attempting to be subversive by posting the way you do.

Frankly I was appreciative of your assistance with my drop-transfer gone wrong, but to claim I came "crying to you" is incendiary and just a pathetic attempt to bolster your credibility.

I made a thread in the petition forum to see if it was possible to be indemnified after my internet crashed at the precise moment I dropped my bags. I even stated in the thread that I wasn't sure anything would come of it.

Those loots were the entirety of my accumulated wealth at that point. Yes, I would have been bummed. However, the economy as it is would have aided me in returning to a position of wealth.

I mean, the way I obtained my start-up capital for Tunnelquesting in the first place was selling a Sarnak Liberator for 13 or 16k. Surely a sign of rampant inflation.

Barkingturtle
01-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Semantics, really. Forgive me for not committing to memory every bit of inane minutia regarding your time spent working on some video game emu.

You were confronted by unforeseen obstacles and you bounced. You exorcised yourself, then.

The more important point is you're clearly very upset about it, even with some water under the bridge, evidenced by the way you post now. Any more all I see from you is negativity and self-indulgent demagoguery. It's disappointing, but not entirely unpredictable, given your long, documented history of anti-social behavior around here.

Well take it easy little fella. You've lost any sympathy I had for you, and yet you have my pity, friend.

Barkingturtle
01-22-2012, 04:16 PM
If you want to speak of unplanned exorcisms, you may wish to revisit why you fled these forums previously, much the same as you fled the allakhazam forums.

To be fair, Allakhazam fled from me. (http://www.zam.com/forum.html?forum=4&mid=1326979454231102788&h=50&p=2#83)

slemmykazaam
01-22-2012, 04:20 PM
j

Barkingturtle
01-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Whats the point of your argument? You have admitted he knows much more about the situation than you and he has said there is an unspecified amount of duped plat in the economy. Conclusion: There is an unspecified amount of duped plat in the economy.

My point was merely that I haven't seen the effect I'd equate with billions of duped plat. Thought I made that abundantly clear by using words like "anecdotal" and "observation".

Grozmok
01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/nholmes/prelude/5e080395.gif

Zallar
01-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Set a Max point and flush the rest.

Determine a one time cap like 100k or 200k and do a query, anyone over that cap has all excess removed. Do it once, don't give any warning, apologize afterwards that it was needed to maintain the health of the server.

Certainly you won't get every ill gotten loot or money squirreled away in gems but it will remove some of the pressure.

Splorf22
01-22-2012, 05:22 PM
I don't understand this whining over inflation. Any decent farming class can get 2+ kpp an hour without too much trouble, yet really nice rare/rare items like the Sarnak Warhammer are 10k, HBC is like 3k, Black Sapphires are 4-5k. I'm pretty sure I have exactly 2 items over 15k on all three of my toons put together. Do you people expect to be able to farm seafuries for a day and then buy BIS god/dragon loot? Even now Kinbeezy is selling an RBB for 170k. I could get that with 50-60 hours of farming easily - a hell of a lot less work than the number of Vox/Gorenaire raids I'd have to go on to get it awarded in a guild.

I believe Uthgaard when he talks about duping plats, but the idea that new players or second tier guilds are getting screwed over by the tunnel is ludicrous.

Epictroll
01-22-2012, 05:25 PM
why do some people spend so much time and effort into hoarding items and plats when the server can disappear at moments notice? all that data is held at the mercy of server owner who has no obligation to keep ur 'possession' safe and secure. just seems too risky (in terms of invested time) unless u enjoy the journey/experience of sitting at east commons tunnel all day trading.

edit: i'm sure it's not too difficult to make plats and what not but for someone just starting out it's a lot of work to build a pretty powerful char and accumulate great gear no matter how u decide to approach it. i guess once u reach a point where u've built a solid character it becomes easier to forget about the long and sometimes painful journey but looking at it from the bottom it's still a steep mountain to climb. i'm all for the challenge but only if there was some sort of a reliable knowledge that server would be up for years to come would i feel safe to commit. but i understand the joy and sense of accomplishment of having built a powerful char and not to knock on people who graciously offer their time and money to run this server but some of these posts about server economy and item hoarding is surprising to say the least.

Werlop
01-22-2012, 05:41 PM
The market has not changed very much from when I was leveling up my Enchanter before Kunark; second and third tier items such as Oracle Robes and Ravenscale armor are sold cheaply as people naturally evolve past old gear and offload it for whatever they can get. The market in lower items does not have as many resellers, so prices tend to stabilize at low amounts.
It's not hard to gear out a new character in lower-tier items; I found twinking out my new monk alt to be very afordable. I spent more on his Jade Maces than for everything else I gave him. I'd need a lot more plat if I were looking to grab a Fungi tunic and T-staff, but he functions well enough without those.

usedtobejubaloftorv
01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
IMO the state of the economy is game breaking which is why I stopped playing.

vinx
01-22-2012, 05:53 PM
I find billions of duped plat pretty tough to believe.
yea me to

specially when things were selling for a million plus shortly after kunark launched
good observation mr tunnel rat

Fianna
01-22-2012, 06:26 PM
So what do you propose to be done about this issue. Uth?

Dravingar
01-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Before the dupes in question, black sapphires for example were only 1k. As money enters a server, there becomes a disparity between the amount of time required to obtain an item, and the amount of time required to gain the money equivalent to its value.

This results in new players having a significant disadvantage, as evidenced by the earlier posts from new players, and also in players choosing not to farm certain items anymore due to the increased opportunity cost, and increases competition for items whose value has changed the least relative to the value of the currency. More simply stated, not all prices will rise equally and some items will lose sufficient value that they are not worth acquiring. This redirects competition into few scarce resources.

The cause and effect from coin to player requires some individual reflection on the flow within the dynamic. It's not a simple thing that can be explained to someone in a few paragraphs and understood.

The issue with having large amounts of cash injected into the server is that it causes many side effects, the most observable being item recharging, a well-known, valid activity turned into a problem that trivialized raid encounters, due to the widespread availability of plat.

Vendor based tradeskills such as smithing and jewelcraft become devalued as the resource required to level them becomes more available. The list goes on.

The reason why black sapphires went up so much in price is because of the VP turn in ate a BS for every keyed member which caused an even bigger desire for them.

Also for the person saying 1million pp items were selling in EC you are right, it was one the pre nerf fungi stick. Nothing else sold anywhere near that high.

Dravingar
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Also, sweet double post but who honestly buys items? Farm that shit yourself like a man.

slemmykazaam
01-22-2012, 07:36 PM
j

john_savage1982
01-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Simple fix: cap maximum amount of plat at 100k and delete anything above

Werlop
01-22-2012, 08:05 PM
I said that in my first post. Item recharging is correct and accurate, the only thing that's making it cheese out encounters is the amount of plat in the economy allows them to be used freely and without consequence. Guild banks now exceed 7 digits of plat. Raising the recharge prices to be prohibitive but not so much that it's never done, would leave the charged items available for use in times of need, but not function as crutches to defeat an encounter by themselves; and at the same time gradually remove the plat from the economy.

Not classic!

Werlop
01-22-2012, 08:11 PM
If a duper buys items, then the platinum that they created is distributed through the sellers. If a duper dupes items and then sells them, they will have to somehow offload that platinum. Eventually the money or items that they duped become redistributed through the market. After a long period of time, platinum equilibrates and is simply devalued by the relative % of new money that entered the system. Because prices have become stable at levels that are tolerable for even new players, it seems that the duped platinum was either 1. eliminated by banning dupers or the mass platinum purge a few months back or 2. people who dupe millions of platinum only spend a small fraction of that total before realizing that they have nothing else to buy.
If a person dupes 200 million platinum and then spends 500k of it, 500k has entered the economy. If they never spend the other 199.5M either because it is removed or because there is nothing to buy, then that extra money may as well have been burnt.

slemmykazaam
01-22-2012, 08:13 PM
j

Grozmok
01-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Also, sweet double post but who honestly buys items? Farm that shit yourself like a man.

Don't tell me how to play my game.

A big part of my enjoyment in any MMO is the buying/selling and trading of items.

EverquestJunkie
01-22-2012, 08:35 PM

A big part of my enjoyment in any MMO is the buying/selling and trading of items.

^^ Nerd rage when told to acually go farm what you want ingame then cry on the fourm.

Grozmok
01-22-2012, 08:38 PM
I do farm items.

Just sayin'.

Dravingar
01-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Well if all you are doing is buying/selling, duping/inflated prices will have no negative impact on you since it's all adjusted for inflation by the time you get to it.

I'm not saying that duping is not a problem that should be addressed asap and remove all traces but Uthtard is just raging like he normally does and trying to burn it down.

Werlop
01-22-2012, 09:00 PM
The dupers weren't simply a couple of isolated individuals. It was easy to do and a few more happened across it every day. It was so rampant that a quarter of the server had done it at least once, whether by accident or intent. And the people who were duping didn't simply buy a handful of things and sit on the rest. They sold the plat for real money.

Which dupe are we talking about, exactly? I've been playing since July 2010; the only dupe that widespread that I remember was the corpse duping that got rolled back. Anything that occurred further back than a year ago should have been normalized by normal economic activity unless it were large enough to sink the entire economy. Since the economy never sunk, I can only assume that somewhere the total plat amount was corrected.

Autotune
01-22-2012, 09:30 PM
what was that dagger dupe that spread thru EC one night like a plague?

You literally couldn't give that dagger away... lol.

Splorf22
01-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Hmm, but prices seem to be going back down again. I remember when I was playing in the spring Hierophant cloaks were 100k and RBGs were 65k; when I came back the RBG had somehow gone to 110k (I'm guessing that was the duping) but it's already down to 85-90k now and probably heading back to 65k eventually. Fungis are way cheaper now (and practically half the players in sol b have one) but that's because they are common now. Again it doesn't feel to me like the rare items right now are super overpriced. If you can buy a cloak of flames for 50-100k in EC, who is going to join a raiding guild when you can go farm plat?

Why don't we have the wiki people give us some answers here? It should be easy enough to plot the auction tracker values for a few items since kunark launch.

fischsemmel
01-22-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't understand this whining over inflation. Any decent farming class can get 2+ kpp an hour without too much trouble, yet really nice rare/rare items like the Sarnak Warhammer are 10k, HBC is like 3k, Black Sapphires are 4-5k. I'm pretty sure I have exactly 2 items over 15k on all three of my toons put together. Do you people expect to be able to farm seafuries for a day and then buy BIS god/dragon loot? Even now Kinbeezy is selling an RBB for 170k. I could get that with 50-60 hours of farming easily - a hell of a lot less work than the number of Vox/Gorenaire raids I'd have to go on to get it awarded in a guild.

I believe Uthgaard when he talks about duping plats, but the idea that new players or second tier guilds are getting screwed over by the tunnel is ludicrous.

This.

And besides, even if there WERE less PP in the game, items like CoF would still be just as out of reach for a new player as they are now. You might think that less pp on the server would mean lower prices on everything, but that wouldn't be the case, because every random John Doe would think "Hey, for just 10 hours of farming SFs I can afford a CoF!" ... but since there aren't any more CoF in the game than there are now, this extra demand would just keep prices as high (relatively speaking) as they are right now.

sbvera13
01-22-2012, 11:43 PM
As one of the said new players, I hope that there's mid level stuff available at mid level prices. If I have to get high-end drops myself to get enough cash to start accomplishing anything then I will be one sad panda.

Splorf22
01-23-2012, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't worry Gromzok. People who dupe 1M plat aren't interested in buying midlevel items. For example, as a warrior you can get:

2x Yak Clubs 9/24 750p each
Staff of Battle 31/37 1500p
Silken Whip of Ensnaring 14/28 800p
Tree Weave 25AC 15STR 800p

All easily affordable by untwinked toons by L40 if you loot a lot of words and runes.

apio
01-23-2012, 08:10 AM
If you'd read my earlier post before jumping to conclusions and hurling insults at possibly the only person on the server who has ever given you any respect at all, which is still more respect than is due, you would have observed that no, it wasn't all removed. Once it is spent, it's impossible to undo. As I said, this went on for months, and it was as simple as cancelling a trades on a laggy connection. The simpler a dupe, the more rampant and harder to keep up with.

confirmed mad. you are the most pathetic person ive seen on this server, and i HAVE BEEN IN IB. Its a mystery to me why rogean hasnt booted you off this forum yet. Probably because your bitter tears are delicious. Can't think of any other reason.

get a life bro

Gwence
01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
there was definitely duped plat, I used to get tells from about 3-5 different people at least once a day asking for raid items they could buy.

Im not talking about 1 item some dude that saved up really wanted, I'm talking about a whole list of probably ever dropable that was in game at the time..

one time I got offered 1.2 million for a cloak of flames, and 900k for a damn bloodfire haha.

in retrospect I guess I should've taken the bloodfire offer, Im sure we had extra..

anyone I've personally never had more than 50k plat and it's never affected me, I can't stand EC and the buying and selling scene. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I am a nerd for playing EQ or any MMO, but to play only to flip items to build a bankroll leads me to believe you are RMT'ing plat, so I pretty much suspect any of the EC trolls of that.

billions might be an overstatement in terms of amount just because I think people say billions without comprehending 10^9 is a very big number, but I wouldn't doubt uthgaard when he says there has been a ton of plat duped on this server. And if the dupe was some kind of exponential gain then yea billions becomes feasible quick.

falkun
01-23-2012, 01:44 PM
As one of the said new players, I hope that there's mid level stuff available at mid level prices. If I have to get high-end drops myself to get enough cash to start accomplishing anything then I will be one sad panda.

That's the good thing about this server. Mid level items are DIRT cheap because all the high level players have the top tier items. Mid level twinkage, the kind that will carry you to planar gear, is more easily obtainable on this server because the mid-level economy floor has fallen through. No, you won't have a Ringed Mace, but good ole' Yaks are 85+% as effective and 100x cheaper. For knights, Blood Ember and Deepwater is 500-1000pp for all slots except BP/legs. If gear actually matters to you (sorry casters), you can twink yourself out in mid-level gear for much cheaper than was possible on Live.

For instance, on Live I had a warrior main entering the 30's shortly after Kunark release. While the Yak tanked in value to 700-1000pp here, their value held up very well on Live servers, staying in the 7k-9k range for a long time. On P99, my warrior could have afforded yaks, on Live, not a chance.

godbox
01-23-2012, 01:47 PM
:D
Words that let you know you watchin a straight up and down nerd fight

bolster
educate
fled
Semantics
inane
minutia
demagoguery

Barkingturtle
01-23-2012, 02:10 PM

bolster
educate
fled
Semantics
inane
minutia
demagoguery

Godbox, bro', look around. You're on the internet, and you're not looking for gonzo porn you're posting on a message board for a nostalgia-driven video game. Keep it real, holmes.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I am a nerd for playing EQ or any MMO, but to play only to flip items to build a bankroll leads me to believe you are RMT'ing plat, so I pretty much suspect any of the EC trolls of that.

Honestly I play P99 primarily for the tunnel. It's what's really unique about the server. I buy things, I sell things. I'll make a twink, level it to twenty and then I'll roll another one. That's the fun part of EQ to me, I guess. Sometimes I play EQ2 for no reason other than I like to decorate virtual inn rooms. When I want to pwn a nub I patch WoW and run around on my heirloom hunter or pally. Usually the pally, because my wife has more fun with a pocket healer. That's life. I'm thinking of downloading Star Trek Online now that it's free-to-play because I read they supply a toolbox to design your own episodic adventures for your geeky-ass friends to geek-off to.

Just sayin', there's really a lot of shades of nerd to playing EQ or any MMO.

Wilshere
01-23-2012, 02:10 PM

bolster
educate
fled
Semantics
inane
minutia
demagoguery

This.

Bohab
01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Came to p99 around early summer of 2011... started a Rogue because that's what I wanted to play. Quickly I learned this character wasn't going to meet my gear standards selling bone chips and hq bear pelts. If I wanted to gear it right and deal with this economy I had to suck it up and make a solo plat farmer.

Created a necro and progressed through lfay sisters, oot sisters, halfling guards, hill giants and now seafuries. Spent maaybe 2k on necro to reach 200int and 75k later I geared my rogue. Honestly, this did not take more than two months and that's working full time, home, wife etc.. etc... now I don't worry about money on this server because I don't have to. I worked hard and profited.

godbox
01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Godbox, bro', look around. You're on the internet, and you're not looking for gonzo porn you're posting on a message board for a nostalgia-driven video game. Keep it real, holmes.

i like your punctuation bro. keepin that shit real holmes (sherlock?)

and im not into that muppet porn crazy ass japanese

Grozmok
01-23-2012, 03:09 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KyLMoWwuoHo/TVSMocBXe9I/AAAAAAAAA_I/vsIDSqqDCMs/s320/potkettle.gif

godbox
01-23-2012, 03:44 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KyLMoWwuoHo/TVSMocBXe9I/AAAAAAAAA_I/vsIDSqqDCMs/s320/potkettle.gif

lol
I play a decade old mmo emu
I post in a forum about an old mmo emu

I figure the me bein a nerd goes without saying

so now groz me and you are in a fuckin nerd fight thanks for ruining my day

Extunarian
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
To any new players: don't be intimidated by the crazy prices of high end items. Low end/mid tier stuff is CHEAP and as deajay said usually nearly as effective as the BiS item.

By the time you reach the 50's you will be getting plenty of high priced drops if you spend any time leveling in a dungeon, or you can farm gems if you're a soloer. I made a conscious decision once to not spend any plat for a month, and without even really trying I had 30k at the end of it, allowing me to buy my barb spiritist hammer. It does add up quickly.

Dupes or not, you can get what you want on this server. It's all about your time commitment and playing somewhat smart.

godbox
01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
ya while i agree with the OP about insane prices part of it is people want omfg the best only and the benefit is people dont give a shit about stuff I used to scrape and save to equip my guys with. Shit most people wont even bother selling stuff thats valued under 1k pp so new players can get pretty good twink just from handouts that NEVER were handed out on eqlive.

Nirgon
01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Oh please like you can't find good gear for your level in the cheap range.

Occupy EastCommons Tunnel: the 99% all want their cheap end game haste without raiding.

Grozmok
01-23-2012, 05:21 PM
I lol'd.

mwatt
01-23-2012, 08:23 PM
I couldn't get past two of the ideas put forward here before I started convulsing horribly. So I haven't read the entire thread. The ideas of item degradation and paying money to avoid experience loss... those are just WRONG. They are wrong IMO for best MMO design and what's more, they smack of WoW. Please, don't even bring up such blasphemies here.

Grozmok
01-23-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm okay with mid-level gear being cheap. I'll use it while I'm legitimately camping for group content based equipment.

I don't have the time in my life to raid anymore and I'm okay with that.

Maybe I'll eventually get enough money playing casually to pick up a trade-able piece of raid equipment here or there.

Dravingar
01-24-2012, 03:49 AM
I find it funny that haste items like FBSS consistently sell for 12k+ in spite of being perma camped with a limited server population... Plat duping explains a lot...

Black Saphires for 5k was a joke, I never remembered that back in the day, Blue Diamonds for 3k? Really? Diamonds for 1.5k?

You also forgot that on live those gems actively dropped in Seb, I haven't actually had to kill in seb since like may/juneish but they still weren't dropping like they should back then and I'm assuming they still aren't, so that's causing a massive shortage.

FBSS on the other hand I'll agree with you, not sure why it's still retardedly high considering any moran can go to sky at level 46 and pick up a rotting haste belt.

Huggz
08-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Only solution is WIPE IT: see what the next iteration looks like.

Everyone will love it anyhow.

Arclanz
08-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Kinda enjoying these old posts. Danke Huggz. Ah more reasons for a new server. Leave all the hard core or uber or exploiters or hackers on this server to enjoy the economy they made for themselves. Let the rest of us play on a decent, non-retarded server.

Arclanz
08-14-2012, 11:57 AM
You know, I recall seeing Uth's name around as I've been here for years; but I didn't realize what a great, stand up guy he was until seeing some of his posts here. Shame you douchebags chased him off. This IS classic; cool players leaving due to increasing population of asshats/scum/etc. Same thing happened on Live.

finalgrunt
08-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Supply and demand.

There are items which are still needed. Haste & regen items are most asked, since there are so many twinks around. Therefore the price usually compares to how much plat you can farm compared to how much time you'll have to spend at the camp to get the item. Ancient cyclops ring, FBSS all fall into that category.

Pretty much 2k per hour is the base value for comparisons.

If billions of plat were dupped and went into the economy, prices would be much much higher than this. Any CoF would sell for 10 millions+. As long as money sits in a bank, there is no inflation. It only happens when the money is used to buy objects.

I guess dupers were caught before they could floor the market. Maybe few millions of duped plat were introduced, but that's it.

There are few money sinks (reagents, coffins, keys in Sky, tink bags), just not enough to balance out the income.

A new player will just have to find ways to make some money. If there is inflation, it works for most items. Like HQ bear skins (they're now what, 20, 30pp? They used to be 10).

The only truth in this game is, for money, you need to spend time playing (or play trader in EC tunnel). And a farming / soloing class can make it easier. Otherwise, find yourself a bunch of great people and farm a camp over and over with them and split the haul.

afkbandito
08-14-2012, 06:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/nholmes/prelude/5e080395.gif

lol. It's like every one of these serious threads gets completely derailed.

tekniq
08-15-2012, 04:04 PM
lol and there are no money sinks like horses and shit, so people just stock up and stock up and stock up.
i mean yeah this IS Classic EQ,
but people know all the shit people didnt know back then.
there are people who have 1,000,000 pp in their bank, haha
i remember bakc in live when if someone had 100,000 people thought they were hackin.

<-----

Estrang
08-15-2012, 04:20 PM
You know, I recall seeing Uth's name around as I've been here for years; but I didn't realize what a great, stand up guy he was

yea, like those times he gm summoned items for quickfinger. swell guy

Messianic
08-15-2012, 04:21 PM
yea, like those times he gm summoned items for quickfinger. swell guy

That wasn't really the most objectionable thing he did - he did that at least to smoke out people using 3rd party garbage.

He melted down toward the end, although for the most part he was just a really effective enforcer.

Aceofcups
08-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Just because someone has millions of plat doesn't mean they are going to use it.

Lets say you have 100k, and lets say thats the price of a CoF, since its been mentioned a ton in this thread. Certainly a great item, perhaps worth all your money.

If you go and dup 1000k. Still a great item, worth all your money? Not so much. But to speed up a buy/sell i think you can go 20k higher without a care.

What im trying to say, is if you double the amount of money an economy has, your not doubling the prices. The people with a ton extra, arn't going to spend a ton more, at least not on one item, they will just bum it a decent 15-20% just to get the deal through easily.

If ya selling something for 10k and one dude is offering 10k and another 12k, who do you think is getting that item?

Also i agree with Arclanz. I have never really heard of Uth, but what i've seen here he seems a pretty good guy. I don't mean to take a hit at him, but just because you can't totally stop corruption/ect, doesn't mean you should stop making any attempts at slowing/reducing it.

Lastly, these threads are kinda useless sadly, there isn't going to be a wipe of PP, its too hard to find out who earned and who cheated their way to getting money.

Nirgon
08-17-2012, 12:01 PM
not classic rogean doesnt give a fuck /thread move on

Plenty of non classic things here that we've gotten the "too bad that's how it is gonna be" reason on.

Bunch of people up in here talking about real massage therapists that need the forum beat down am I right?

Lagaidh
08-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I swear this is a mature MMO community now. My old rule of thumb in live EQ was not to read sony forums. The negativity made me begin believing there was so much wrong with the game and my server that there was no point in continuing.

We're there team! At least this go round, I take forums with a grain of salt.

In game seems fine.

lawll
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
We're there team! At least this go round, I take forums with a grain of salt.

In game seems fine.

Confirmed fanboy

Lagaidh
08-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Confirmed fanboy

Given one has to search for a place like this to game, aren't we all?

=)

Guilty as charged. I love me some original-trilogy-EQ.