PDA

View Full Version : EQ 77th richest country

Naerron
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
check it out (http://flatrock.org.nz/topics/info_and_tech/game_theories.htm)

cmdrrickhunter
01-23-2012, 10:31 PM
I like these sorts of things, but wow is it far behind the times. Look at EVE for the modern version of this.

This does, however, have a LOT to say about artificially rare goods, and how they should be valued.

maahes
01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
There might be some valid information in that artical, but I quit reading when I read this line.

EverQuest had been launched in 1999, and some veteran players now owned entire castles filled with treasures from their quests.

Raavak
01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
There might be some valid information in that artical, but I quit reading when I read this line.

Wtf. Sounds more like UO.

maahes
01-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Wtf. Sounds more like UO.

Thats exactly what it sounds like.

Kika Maslyaka
01-24-2012, 12:08 PM

The latest EQ expansion have added player housing. So the statement in the article is correct, given it was written RECENTLY, otherwise, yeah you right, there was no housing in EQ1, before, unless the author confusing it with UO or EQ2

Pscottdai
01-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Well, if they go with the premise "A man's home is his castle" then I guess they could be refering to EQ since on live these days you can have a house that you store loot in.

Raavak
01-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Well, if they go with the premise "A man's home is his castle" then I guess they could be refering to EQ since on live these days you can have a house that you store loot in.

EQ has gone so utterly wrong.

Faisca
01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Sometimes I feel like every item that dropped from killing a mob should be no trade, just to stop all this rmt stuff, but then I think about all those to whom rmt is their job, I mean their real life job, and it makes me more lenient towards rmt.

So what if this game is someone’s RL job? Isn’t there enough room in the game for them and those who are here just for the sole purpose of enjoying themselves?

Perhaps, although in a non-instanced world like EQ, problems may occur. For example, a very valuable camp (where valuable stuff drops) can be permanently camped by rmt people, and everybody else can’t access it.

It’s kind of twisted, if you think about it. It’s a video game, something to entertain people and that fun is denied by others who are just actually working there.

Flunklesnarkin
01-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Sometimes I feel like every item that dropped from killing a mob should be no trade, just to stop all this rmt stuff, but then I think about all those to whom rmt is their job, I mean their real life job, and it makes me more lenient towards rmt.

So what if this game is someone’s RL job? Isn’t there enough room in the game for them and those who are here just for the sole purpose of enjoying themselves?

Perhaps, although in a non-instanced world like EQ, problems may occur. For example, a very valuable camp (where valuable stuff drops) can be permanently camped by rmt people, and everybody else can’t access it.

It’s kind of twisted, if you think about it. It’s a video game, something to entertain people and that fun is denied by others who are just actually working there.

No Drop doesn't stop RMT... it just makes people sell loot rights.. instead of the item itself.

Fultun
01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
There's a flaw in his calculations. The server generates platinum pieces out of thin air, so the amount of available platinum is almost always increasing.

On second thought, the US government has been printing money out of thin air too, so I guess it is similar. :)

Faisca
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
No Drop doesn't stop RMT... it just makes people sell loot rights.. instead of the item itself.

True, and I’m sure there are many other and easier ways to raise virtual money.

Kika Maslyaka
01-25-2012, 07:12 PM
There's a flaw in his calculations. The server generates platinum pieces out of thin air, so the amount of available platinum is almost always increasing.

On second thought, the US government has been printing money out of thin air too, so I guess it is similar. :)

A significant note here: he measures welfare of EQ players in RL $$$, and those are not affected by in game plat inflation.
In other words, if players used to produce 1k plat a day, and plat sold for 100 plat per $1 - they made $10
Now days, if players produce 100k plat per day, and plat sells at 10k per $1 - they still make $10

This is specially relevant for Ebay auction, that sold items/char in RL $, not for plat - so item plat value or total plat possessed by the player is irrelevant.

Ereet
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
The latest EQ expansion have added player housing. So the statement in the article is correct, given it was written RECENTLY, otherwise, yeah you right, there was no housing in EQ1, before, unless the author confusing it with UO or EQ2

Ya, you know, since 2003 is pretty RECENT.

Flunklesnarkin
01-25-2012, 11:40 PM
True, and I’m sure there are many other and easier ways to raise virtual money.

Thats usually the highest RMT for single item to begin with... selling extremely rare no drop raid gear..

then mercenary guild split profits amongst members based on dkp.. i seen guilds like this in many mmo's.

RMT would come from individual members tho selling currency to pay for subscription costs.