PDA

View Full Version : Why do people go ANON when camping things?

Burrito
01-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Whats the benefit? Was just thinking after camping the AC for awhile that I noticed a lot of people went anon when they started camping the AC. Normally I'd give a quick /who XXXXX all to see if some camps were taken before heading out for the day- only to run into anon campers. Maybe it's just weird since I never tend to go anon myself.

In the end it's just nice to be able to shoot a quick tell and ask someone if they are camping a spawn before making the trek out there I guess.

Xeliso
01-28-2012, 02:01 AM
In the end it's just nice to be able to shoot a quick tell and ask someone if they are camping a spawn before making the trek out there I guess.

Kinda answered it there :P

Burrito
01-28-2012, 02:04 AM
Yeah- but say for guards or even common dungeons doesn't it make sense to show populations in a zone? People would see zone populations and head elsewhere? You end up getting extra groups or people coming in who end up competing against you for spawns.

Do people really go out of their way to avoid telling people they are currently camping a spawn? I guess if something has a ridiculous timer that is being kept secret to the person or group it makes sense (ie raiding or some fixed spawn timers) but other than that I see absolutely no benefit.

valkabo
01-28-2012, 03:44 AM
Well a lot of stuff are on timers, and people have the previous time of death. So they go anon/role when they camp something so other people can't easily determine whats up.

Dravingar
01-28-2012, 04:09 AM
Purple name mafia, mother fucker.

rigi
01-28-2012, 04:20 AM
all the total no lifers like to go anon or roleplay while they are farming all the items they sell to other super nerds in Rmt's

Bruno
01-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Some people don't want to be bothered while they play. Just because you feel it's unfair to you doesn't mean it is. They're entitled to /anon or /role as long as it's a function in the game.

Diggles
01-28-2012, 05:40 AM
/anon is required on a cleric/druid/wiz/enc

Xeliso
01-28-2012, 06:28 AM

Truth.

Caridry
01-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah- but say for guards or even common dungeons doesn't it make sense to show populations in a zone? People would see zone populations and head elsewhere? You end up getting extra groups or people coming in who end up competing against you for spawns.

"/who all zone count" works just because people are anon, does not hide the server quarry

Daldaen
01-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Some people don't want to be bothered while they play. Just because you feel it's unfair to you doesn't mean it is. They're entitled to /anon or /role as long as it's a function in the game.

Remove /anon and /role please :)

Shweet
01-28-2012, 01:50 PM
2% of population would vote against it and it wouldn't go in, even if 98% said yes.

You guys down that thing you were working on in live yet Dald?

Daldaen
01-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Yes 3 or so days ago.

Grozmok
01-28-2012, 02:16 PM
To help you forget who they are when they train you at the zone line.

Tokai Saikutsu
01-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Also you forgot Mages ( can you summon me some XXXX ) and Rangers, we be tracking and killin uR Named.
Alot go anon to hide thier level not so much class to help prevent ks ing .....

Uccin
01-28-2012, 03:52 PM
"/who all zone count" works just because people are anon, does not hide the server quarry

This doesn't work here. It just returns the same thing /who all count would. It works for classes/races, but not zones or guilds.

Boombha
01-28-2012, 04:40 PM
I /role to avoid tells for SoW in the middle of a fight when I am LoM and people get persnickety because I won't leave to go to them when I should be taking care of my group.

I prefer /role because it keeps my guild tag up.

Burrito
01-28-2012, 05:28 PM
So you don't ask them for SoW/clarity/rez/etc. and try to socially engineer them into leaving their camp?

Nope. If their in a group you shouldn't ask. It's really that simple. If you're extremely hopeless you can always ask and they are always free to say no. Don't beg, don't whine.

But I need a rez! My group is waiting on me.
Cleric: So is mine.

Same predicament. There are others who are available to provide the same service usually. I guess I'm also lucky that I can provide clarity to the group if they don't have it in exchange for something like a SoW.

If I'm camping a spawn or something- I don't mind throwing a clarity. They do need to come over to my camp however.

As for avoiding people asking for a service- maybe I just havn't played long enough but I always enjoyed running by and casting a Clarity/haste on lower leveled people or giving a clarity to someone who asked in tunnels. In the end for me- it's just mana (lucky for me it's only 75 and not 300) so I can usually throw a couple out in group. Other times I know I'm about to do something where I direly need the mana, or I'm busy I just hit them back with a quick no. I guess there's some point in this game after a certain number of hours where that becomes too much for me.

Daldaen
01-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I still lol at everyone clinging to the "EQ Classic is amazing because you need other people". Cool, so why are you anon refusing to help anyone else?

aubie
01-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Just make the /w all "zone" return:

Level 13 "NEWB"

26 players currently in "zone"

So, you only see the name for the non-anon/non-rp players, but you know the zone is full of anon/rp'ers. Thereby you don't waste a trip there to camp something and the anon/rp'ers don't sacrifice their anonymity to your pathetic tells for buffs/ports/rezzes. Simple solution and everyone is happy except the beggars.

webrunner5
01-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Just make the /w all "zone" return:

Simple solution and everyone is happy except the beggars.

So I guess you have played this game for 12 years and never asked for
a SoW, Clarity, a buff, a summon corpse, or a Rez? Truely amazing.