PDA

View Full Version : EQ Free to Play

Daldaen
01-30-2012, 02:25 PM
http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/news_article.vm?id=524183&month=012012

13 years later.

falkun
01-30-2012, 02:40 PM
If this doesn't apply to EQMac there is zero reason to return. EQMac is the closest thing the Live servers have to classic.

EDIT:
"Beauty is an ephemeral commodity. Yet true beauty lies beyond Fate's meagre grasp and Mortality's paltry sway"
-Steel, Daniel

The amazing journey that has been EverQuest: Macintosh Edition has created an untold number of adventures, and bonds between its players that will last far beyond the years of the game. As the saying goes, however, all good things must come to an end, and so the time has come for the Al'Kabor server.

On Thursday, March 29, 2012, the Al'Kabor server and the EverQuest: Macintosh Edition will be closing. EverQuest: Macintosh Edition has had a wonderful run, seeing an incredible tightly-knit community band together to accomplish feats of heroism that remain unsurpassed in the annals of MMORPGs. Overcoming the challenges of the Planes of Power in their near original form is not a task for those who are not dedicated to victory, and we here at SOE are in awe of your dedication and commitment.

We know you will have many questions about what this means, and we have prepared this FAQ in an effort to answer some of these questions. During the remaining weeks we will also be enjoying some time in game with you, the players of Al'Kabor, both to see if the final raids in the Planes can be completed before the final days of EverQuest: Macintosh Edition and to celebrate the community that has kept this game strong throughout the years. Please keep an eye out on the Official EverQuest: Macintosh Edition sub-forum so that we can communicate with you the days and times when we will be joining you in game.

Thank you all again, and we hope that we can join you in fond remembrance of the unique and wonderful experience that has been EverQuest: Macintosh Edition.
Source:http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=182821

Well, that sucks. P99 will probably be getting an influx in March.

Grozmok
01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Grats p1999, you showed SOE the value in F2P!

^_^

p1999 > EQ Live

Zapatos
01-30-2012, 02:46 PM
EQmac is shutting down apparently. They're getting free to play for a couple months but after that.. that's it.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=182821
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=182820

Good time to welcome in and shelter some longtime classic-ish eq addicts?

L2Phantom
01-30-2012, 02:52 PM
If I had to guess, most of those EQ Mac people will probably shove their foot up EQ's ass after putting years of work into their toons just to be shoved out the door without conversion over to Live. Total crock of shit.

falkun
01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Most of them actively chose to play EQMac because they hated what EQLive had become anyways. I don't think very many would have gone over to EQLive even if they had been given the chance.

maahes
01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
How much estimated population did eqMac have?

maahes
01-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Let's get a post on some site the EQMac players might see it. We can assimilate them into our ways.

Atira
01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Worth every penny.

Edrick
01-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I feel sorry for the EQ mac players, even if their population is very small.

SyanideGas
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
It took em long enough!

Bruman
01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Neat! I've been wanting to log in just more as a curiosity to see what all is different, see the revamped zones, etc. Not really planning on staying there, more like visiting your home town. This finally gives me a chance to do it.

Note that they said any existing toons are grandfathered in, so if you're not in the 4 races/classes, your toon will still be there.

Diggles
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Enchanter = I can play EVERY RACE

webrunner5
01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I wonder what prompted Sony to do this? I know their numbers where down but to give up that much cash is pretty crazy. I know they make a lot of bucks on their Marketplace but wow, for free.

Diggles
01-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Open relationships allow you to have threesomes (multiboxing) while P99 is strictly a one girl army :[

gloine36
01-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Definitely going to have to think this one through for a bit. I don't like some of the restrictions for non-subs. They did that in EQ2 and it really impacted the variety in a negative way.
P99 is still pretty good and we get the full range of the classic game from the get go. That's pretty hard to beat.

Diggles
01-30-2012, 04:21 PM
If everyone from p99 actually played live, they should be fine

Malrubius
01-30-2012, 04:38 PM
You can hit yourself in the head with a brick for free too.

P99 is far superior to both, thanks.

maahes
01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
You can hit yourself in the head with a brick for free too.

P99 is far superior to both, thanks.

Agreed.

LizardNecro
01-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Interesting, and while I may log into live to see my old characters, I think p99 is superior. I really like the ban on dual boxing. Live (and other emu servers) aren't fun for me because everyone is in their own boxed group. It's the interaction that makes eq great. I apprecate that we have that here!

Galanteer
01-30-2012, 09:14 PM
lots of restrictions. Only a few classes or races, limited aa...

so if you want to go back to your old characters, you'll likely still have to pay.

gloine36
01-30-2012, 09:41 PM
After reviewing it I'm going to stay with P99. Both EQ and EQ2's F2P models are far too restrictive. You either play as a gimp and forget about the best content or you have a subscription. What's the point? The idea of the FTP is to get revenue from players who purchase items with real money. This model just pushes everyone to the subscription model.

Edrick
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
lots of restrictions. Only a few classes or races, limited aa...

so if you want to go back to your old characters, you'll likely still have to pay.

All existing characters will be grandfathered in. They learned that lesson with EQ2.

MelxDruid
01-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Let's get a post on some site the EQMac players might see it. We can assimilate them into our ways.

Lots of EQMAC players know about p99. Some know because of publicity, some know because their fellow guild members have tried it out. I do not expect them all to come over to p99 on march 29th, but some will.

I am sorry for all EQMAC players at the moment. Sony recently assigned a programmer, Hobart, to fix all problems with Al'Kabor, which he has been doing diligently. EQMAC has had many bugs and zones fixed over the past few months, with an influx of new and returning players. Now Sony is shutting it down? Shame on them. I am truly sorry for all decided EQMAC players. They are a great community.

word on the street, there will be an organized sleepers tomb sleeper awakening, to finish this experience out (excluding potime, which has not been accessed yet).

Grozmok
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/nholmes/prelude/3b792732.png

Palemoon
01-30-2012, 11:28 PM
this sucks for the EQmacers, none of us saw this comming

Daldaen
01-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Lots of EQMAC players know about p99. Some know because of publicity, some know because their fellow guild members have tried it out. I do not expect them all to come over to p99 on march 29th, but some will.

I am sorry for all EQMAC players at the moment. Sony recently assigned a programmer, Hobart, to fix all problems with Al'Kabor, which he has been doing diligently. EQMAC has had many bugs and zones fixed over the past few months, with an influx of new and returning players. Now Sony is shutting it down? Shame on them. I am truly sorry for all decided EQMAC players. They are a great community.

word on the street, there will be an organized sleepers tomb sleeper awakening, to finish this experience out (excluding potime, which has not been accessed yet).
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=182821

There was a post there about P99 but it was removed.

Also just last week the top guild got 8 of the 12 councilmen locked down in PoEarthB before they wiped... thats the final raid they need to win to enter Plane of Time.

MelxDruid
01-30-2012, 11:45 PM
http://www.eqmac.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11017

Hobart talking about removing key requirement to zones. I feel a serverwide Quarm kill inc.