PDA

View Full Version : RP - Doest it exist here (question from a newbie)

Shao Pai Long
01-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Hello, as a long time MMO player, one thing has always been high on my priority list.

Phat Lewt doesn't count.

I'm talking, specifically of the 2 most dreaded letters in MMORPG, RP.

Given that it was EQ back in the kunark/velious days that took my MMO virginity, once I found Project 1999, it was my sincerest hope that there was a guild (or indeed, an entire subcommunity) dedicated to Roleplaying.

One thing I'd have to state is, while I used to be a semi-dedicated EQ player back in the "good old days", I've forgotten so much I have to use the companion maps so I don't so much as get lost in Freeport.

Timpl
01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Hello, as a long time MMO player, one thing has always been high on my priority list.

Phat Lewt doesn't count.

I'm talking, specifically of the 2 most dreaded letters in MMORPG, RP.

Given that it was EQ back in the kunark/velious days that took my MMO virginity, once I found Project 1999, it was my sincerest hope that there was a guild (or indeed, an entire subcommunity) dedicated to Roleplaying.

One thing I'd have to state is, while I used to be a semi-dedicated EQ player back in the "good old days", I've forgotten so much I have to use the companion maps so I don't so much as get lost in Freeport.

Anyone who is playing is role playing. It is just that over years some people have (as is typical of human groups) come to set standards that define what you feel is role-playing and to what level. Some might consider going around and buffing new players role play because they are playing a nice avatar. And others laugh at that because only a true role-player in their mind is someone sitting in full plate armor in RL or wearing a wizard hat and robe while asking the serving wench (aka mom) for some more mead(aka Yoo-hoo).

fischsemmel
01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Anyone who is playing is role playing. It is just that over years some people have (as is typical of human groups) come to set standards that define what you feel is role-playing and to what level. Some might consider going around and buffing new players role play because they are playing a nice avatar. And others laugh at that because only a true role-player in their mind is someone sitting in full plate armor in RL or wearing a wizard hat and robe while asking the serving wench (aka mom) for some more mead(aka Yoo-hoo).

I've never met anyone other than you who thought "roleplaying" in an MMO was anything different than giving your character a personality and then controlling your character as your character would act if the game world were real.

By my definition of roleplaying (and everyone else's except for Timpl), there is very little or no RPing on p1999. The closest I have ever seen in dozens of days /played in game is someone referencing offhand that their erudite is haughty, or an ogre spelling things incorrectly in an incoming macro, etc. I've never even seen something as simple as "Hail, fellow Wood Elf! What brings you all to the way to Qeynos from our lovely home in the treetops?"

bizzum
01-31-2012, 10:07 AM
There are a few select, and might I add awesome, Gnomes that roleplay. Other than that not much for ya I'm afraid.

Raavak
01-31-2012, 10:21 AM
It seems like someone asks about RP every week or two. Though the majority of us are in it for the pew pew, I guess there is some interest in it. You just need to find each other.

Tiggles
01-31-2012, 10:24 AM
I say we make another server for roleplaying

Aquelin
01-31-2012, 10:39 AM
I think you'll find some/most people are receptive to RP here - it's to be expected in an MMO environment. I've always played along with RPers in my brief encounters with them on P99 because it adds a bit of flavor to the otherwise bland grindfest, and I admire that people take the time to create indepth and interesting backgrounds for their characters. So basically, play how you want to and you will probably not be shunned for your playstyle.

maahes
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
I run into RP'rs. I always remember cause they make me feel uncomfortable.

Phased
02-02-2012, 12:37 PM
It's rare. In my week of playing at the newbie levels the only RPers I've ran into are trolls speaking in 'troll talk'. Most of the conversations in group center around one of three topics:
1- reminiscence, where you played and what you did before P99
2- your main char and why you like this alt
3- phat lewtz, and what gear you want next

Flunklesnarkin
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
I got a character you can role play premade... just hope nobody else takes it first.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ia4k1z.jpg

fischsemmel
02-02-2012, 01:08 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2ia4k1z.jpg

Dude he's got gamesphere.